Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

What examples are there in WWE of poorly received booking that "played out" into something actually good?

If you're talking about booking where WWE never pivoted from the original plan (so nothing like DBry at Mania 30), then Sasha/Bianca is a recent example. Bianca won the Rumble, which was great, and then the next few months were full of dumb booking and her and Sasha looking like morons, and then they had the Mania match and it was great again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Lamuella posted:

What examples are there in WWE of poorly received booking that "played out" into something actually good?

The rock?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

0konner posted:

The rock?

That was hardly something playing out to be good, they had to drastically change course, like they had to with Bryan in the Wyatts.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

MassRafTer posted:

That was hardly something playing out to be good, they had to drastically change course, like they had to with Bryan in the Wyatts.

I understand courses were changed with the rock but please elaborate about how he relates to danielson’s Wyatt feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

0konner posted:

I understand courses were changed with the rock but please elaborate about how he relates to danielson’s Wyatt feud.

Because Bryan wasn't supposed to be in the Wyatts for such a short period of time and then go on to win the title.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Will we ever see Bryan Danielson in a G1?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Will we ever see Bryan Danielson in a G1?
I’d be very surprised if he isn’t in the 2022 G1

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
RE: The Bushwhackers

They debuted on TV on WWF Superstars in early 1989, and appeared pretty regularly until fall of 1992. They disappeared from TV for four months or so, then came back for a handful of shows in 1993 including Survivor Series, had something resembling a push in 1994, and were relegated to Wrestling Challenge/Superstars against jobbers in the first half of 1995 before coming back from March-July 1996. They did a ton of house shows throughout those seven years, but if you were just watching TV you could be forgiven for forgetting they were still around after early 1992 or so.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lamuella posted:

oh, also, the Luger/Yokozuna nonsense long-term ending in Bret winning the title at Mania 10.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

oh, also, the Luger/Yokozuna nonsense long-term ending in Bret winning the title at Mania 10.

I dont know if this counts, but how about daniel bryans nxt/nexus run, where he ends up dodging getting his legs cut out from under him by john cena?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Defenestrategy posted:

I dont know if this counts, but how about daniel bryans nxt/nexus run, where he ends up dodging getting his legs cut out from under him by john cena?

Did you know: on that brief hiatus from WWE after attempting to murder Justin Roberts, Danielson went to IWA Puerto Rico to beat a certain QT Marshall for their top title.

We were also blessed with matches against Shingo, YAMATO, Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Johnny Gargano, Bobby Fish & Munenori Sawa. A pretty cool 2 months.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

RE: The Bushwhackers

They debuted on TV on WWF Superstars in early 1989, and appeared pretty regularly until fall of 1992. They disappeared from TV for four months or so, then came back for a handful of shows in 1993 including Survivor Series, had something resembling a push in 1994, and were relegated to Wrestling Challenge/Superstars against jobbers in the first half of 1995 before coming back from March-July 1996. They did a ton of house shows throughout those seven years, but if you were just watching TV you could be forgiven for forgetting they were still around after early 1992 or so.

I wonder if anybody were mildly shocked to realize that wait, those were the Sheepherders.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
What other examples are there of vicious, bloodthirsty wrestlers transitioning into family friendly characters like the Sheepherders did?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Zombie Lemur posted:

What other examples are there of vicious, bloodthirsty wrestlers transitioning into family friendly characters like the Sheepherders did?

Cactus Jack to Mr. Socko, cheap pop Foley?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

projecthalaxy posted:

Cactus Jack to Mr. Socko, cheap pop Foley?

That's a good one, although Mick was still doing hardcore stuff as a goofy babyface.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Dudleys would pretty much be a great example, right down to some people assuming they'd end up like the Bushwhackers. Their initial heel run of brutalizing women wasn't family friendly, obviously, but once they turned face and did the Wazzup stuff, the transformation was complete

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 3, 2022

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Bubba running around licking people's faces would be less gross than a lot of other things he's done.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Lamuella posted:

Pushing Mark Henry as a killer monster heel from 2003 until it finally got good in 2011 or 2012. I can't think of anything radically different they did, but something clicked for Henry and he started absolutely owning after years of WWE trying.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Pushing Mark Henry as a killer monster heel from 2003 until it finally got good in 2011 or 2012. I can't think of anything radically different they did, but something clicked for Henry and he started absolutely owning after years of WWE trying.

He wore a salmon pink jacket and it ruled

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

He wore a salmon pink jacket and it ruled
That jacket was from his fake-retirement in June 2013, leading to him losing a world title shot against John Cena a month later. He turned face the night after that match.

After that his entire PPV run in WWE was:
- Survivor Series 2013: beating Ryback in an open challenge
- Wrestlemania XXX: ARMBAR
- Night of Champions 2014: losing to Rusev
- Survivor Series 2014: being on a losing SS team
- Elimination Chamber 2015: Losing an [IC title] Elimination CHamber
- Royal Rumble 2016: Rumble appearance
- Wrestlemania 32: ARMBAR
- Royal Rumble 2017: Rumble appearance
- Greatest Royal Rumble: Rumble appearance

I'm not exactly sure when Henry "got good" at being a main event heel, but it was way before the salmon jacket.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

People would say it was his Hall of Pain run in 2006.
Personally I say it's never. Dude was a nothingburger in the ring from bell to bell. Hella charismatic though.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

It was the theme song. 3 6 mafia have been making music to kick people's asses to since the early 90's. That with just the plain black ring gear was just really effective presentation.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

True, Henry got the first wrestling entrance theme commissioned from Oscar winners (Effy and Midnight Express and everyone else use pre-existing Oscar winners' songs, and Rob Conway couldn't get the real Randy Newman) right around the time a bunch of people turned around on him.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

What would you call a Brainbuster where the opponent is bounced off the top rope and then converted into a jackhammer, and does someone perform such a move?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zombie Lemur posted:

Taijiri and Kurt Angle.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Taijiri and Kurt Angle.

I'd argue it was the other way around for Angle. He was initially presented as a goofball throwback out of his element in a "real" wrestling company. Then by the time he feuded with Stone Cold, he was presented as an absolute killer. By 2006 there was no comedy and Angle was a just murder machine.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

What would you call a Brainbuster where the opponent is bounced off the top rope and then converted into a jackhammer, and does someone perform such a move?

I'd guess it would would be like Tully Blanchard's Slingshot Suplex only it would be a Slingshot Jackhammer.

Incidentally, Shawn Spears used it for a bit and he's managed by Tully so it makes sense. It's at 52 seconds in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBHuBAXfBr0

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lamuella posted:

Some of their midcard stuff in the mid 2000's turned out OK after starting badly - Mr Kennedy (says his name twice, WTF?) and Carlito Caribbean Cool (spits an apple, WTF?) but they stuck with the characters and people really got into them. You know, before the poo poo hit the fan with both due to their respective issues. Finlay is another one who debuted to groans and turned out to be a really entertaining crazy old man with a feral leprechaun.

Of course this was all in the midst of the Tatanka and Road Warrior Animal returns, Shelton's mama, Chris Masters and his pointless 10 minute heat segments, etc. etc. so it's not like you can point to the few rare examples of things working and say they knew what they were doing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Lord Alfred Hayes an okay guy?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was Lord Alfred Hayes an okay guy?

Dunno about his general decency but I was very shocked to find out years ago that apparently he was an amazing heel when he still wrestled...it just didn't compute in young EGG's brain because of his WWE persona

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he also reportedly had a massive hog

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bigger than Robert Parker's?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I would love to hear some experiences with betting on wrestling - if you follow this as closely as I imagine we mostly do it seems like a daily easy thing to win at surely? That said I remember a guy betting his home on an undertaker WM match the year he lost to lesner

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Manwithastick posted:

I would love to hear some experiences with betting on wrestling - if you follow this as closely as I imagine we mostly do it seems like a daily easy thing to win at surely? That said I remember a guy betting his home on an undertaker WM match the year he lost to lesner

I think only kids and idiots should be betting on wrestling. I'm sure I made some low-stakes wagers with friends growing up about different matches, but if you're an adult betting on wrestling then you've probably made some unfortunate life choices along the way. I also imagine that since it's a pre-determined thing, the payouts aren't as high as competitive sports? I don't know the logistics of sports betting but I'd imagine the higher risk of a non-pre-determined sport results in higher rewards than betting on wrestling would?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm glad, Lord Alfred seemed like a nice man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Pretty much every site at that time capped wrestling bets pretty low, between $50-200 so I think that was a fake. I am not sure if they ever raised the caps but with WWE employees betting on matches after finishes were finalized I can't imagine sites did.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

The last time I bet on wrestling was for the Orton vs Mahal championship match.

Orton was 7/1 and I figured “it can’t be that certain that Mahal is going to win?”. So many people had the same idea and Orton became the favourite. I then put a bet on Mahal to win and either would guarantee a decent profit. Looking back, it’s not unlike WWE to have a double DQ on a PPV.

I also seem to remember Skybet just throwing up their hands in 2014 when Daniel Bryan didn’t appear in the Royal Rumble and just refunding people, even though they take all sorts of wildcard rumble bets.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Pretty much every site at that time capped wrestling bets pretty low, between $50-200 so I think that was a fake. I am not sure if they ever raised the caps but with WWE employees betting on matches after finishes were finalized I can't imagine sites did.

the only recent wrestling bet i placed was last year and it had a $100 cap

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Low Desert Punk posted:

people throughout history have liked watching big lads paw at each other. this goes way back before professional wrestling

it's why there is such a robust YouTube following for Finnish bear fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

I have this cena-tar because i bet against John Cena once, I dont remember which ppv it was or why I believed so ferventantly that big match john was gonna lose.

Never bet on wrestling.