Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bust Rodd posted:

Diablo 1 is like trying to play video games through syrup and sandpaper, just trash, IMO

e: trash with legendary sound design and art direction that would change the face of gaming forever, but still trash.

Yeah I own D1 on GoG and keep trying to play it and only ever get as far as like dungeon level 4. It was great at the time but D2 is just worlds better.

I’m actually kinda looking forward to this event just to have a story mode of d1 I can run in an hour or two with some insane op d3 monster build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bio347 posted:

I dunno. I played the GoG D1 a while ago and thought it held up pretty well, considering. IMO, pre-hotbar D2R is basically as clunky as D1 is, it's just faster because running and teleport.

Running is loving huge. Also meaningful classes and skills.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nothing that gaming can accomplish today will ever take away how amazing Diablo was at the time and for years afterwards, but yeah I just don’t have the retro-gamer gene.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Just thinking about the first times I ever played Diablo 1 gives me great joy. I can still hear the dungeon music. So drat good.

The speed in the dungeons isn't so bad imo. In town it's a real bummer.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
D1 is really short, so tbh by the time you've beaten the game you'd probably still be struggling with stamina woes in D2. The game isn't trying to be fast for the most part, though, so humouring it doesn't really feel that bad imo. Just soak in the atmosphere.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
The event is actually hard coded into the game so even if its unnecessary i think it just unlocks on the correct dates

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, Diablo 1 is slow as gently caress and a bit cumbersome, but it still can get you hooked.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I remember so much salt from people that went on about how Blizzard doesn't care about the fans or the franchise when the event first happened because that was all they did.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

External Organs posted:

Just thinking about the first times I ever played Diablo 1 gives me great joy. I can still hear the dungeon music. So drat good.

Ah, my first jump scare :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AAAHHHH FRESH MEAT

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Diablo 1's achievement was taking the rogue-ish genre and making it more accessible. If you're big into Diablo lore or playing old games to understand the progression of the industry and genres, I could see playing it today. If you don't care about that and you don't have nostalgia, I can easily see finding it unplayable.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Hell, I’m playing the D2 remaster and I find that nearly unplayable too

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Diablo 1 battlenet was one of the first things I did on the internet as a kid. Everyone played hacked characters, it was awesome.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Diablo 1 battlenet was one of the first things I did on the internet as a kid. Everyone played hacked characters, it was awesome.

Log in for the first time, find a very generous warrior in town who gave me free stuff :)

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What was the necklace everyone wore? I know for wizards it was all thinking cap items, and warriors it was ksoh, gpow, stormshield, a helm (maybe the one that dropped from that black knight?), and obsidian rings of the zodiac but I can't remember the necklace.

E: Amulet was obsidian amulet of the zodiac and helm was royal circlet.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 1, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Shadow has a novel build this season where you wear the Captain Crimson belt/whatever and combine it with Sliver of Terror + Essence of Anguish for long-range knives. It's a little boring but pretty effective on super dense maps and I happen to have better drops for it than the traditional setup with Chain of Shadows + Aughild's. A couple dudes even broke into the GR140s using the fire variant, although all my best rolls are lightning.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 1, 2022

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does using a shard for the Caldesann's augment count towards the season journey requirement, or do you have to level a regular gem to 50 just for that?

Lycentia
Jul 30, 2009

It's the suit.

Vakal posted:

Does using a shard for the Caldesann's augment count towards the season journey requirement, or do you have to level a regular gem to 50 just for that?

Shards count.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lycentia posted:

Shards count.

Thank god.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Inna's set dungeon is impossible. I'm unable to keep my allies from murdering everything even when wearing nothing but Inna's and frost boots with no paragon.

Guess I'm doing monkey king.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Inna's set dungeon is impossible. I'm unable to keep my allies from murdering everything even when wearing nothing but Inna's and frost boots with no paragon.

I've been living the same life, my friend - at this point, I'm grinding out sets for Crusader by doing GR's on my Inna Monk. Two of the Monk sets were easy, and two were huge pains that I super overleveled for and can't be assed to deal with. I figure between the Crusader and the Necromancer, I can get 6 more set dungeons done and get this dang Conquest done.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

RodShaft posted:

Took off legendary gems right? Might have to go as far as not wearing jewelry for Inna's now that it's received a massive buff since set dungeons came out.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's way beyond time for set dungeons to go away

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I did Inna's first try. Just un equip all gems, unnecessary legendary powers etc.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

RodShaft posted:

I think I managed to do it with Inna+In-geom and literally nothing else, dismissed follower, removed offensive paragon points. Still took a couple of tries. Don't remember the setup in the cube.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pretty good showing for Shadow this season, Impale interacts nicely with the gem gimmicks. Everybody above me on the leaderboards has 3x the Paragon so there's room to grow with this build as well. The next optimization would be cubing up an elemental TP and perfect Lacunis, which will probably take forever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you have the gear you can master all 4 set dungeons for a class in under an hour total, every year the complaints about them feel sillier and sillier.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

When they first came out some of the set dungeons were just obnoxiously difficult to get mastery on. They did do a balance pass iirc which helps quite a bit.

Also Blizz obviously knew how unpopular they are when they didn't add new ones when they added the new class sets a few seasons ago.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s more that designing a dungeon with its own special mechanics is probably more involved than taking some unused art assets and cranking out another legendary armor set. You could probably design new armor sets with only one guy, I feel like set dungeons would take a small team to actually create.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Thanks for all the advice on Inna's set dungeon, but I was just complaining not looking for solutions(unless there was something really stupid I missed) I literally had nothing but 5 piece Inna's with in goem in hand (a shield as my secondary because I got weak with nothing equipped). No offensive passives, paragon, or cubed skills. Follower dismissed no gems or jewelry. I managed to get a couple of the five things by dashing into a group sucking them in with cyclone and hitting activate. Then standing around waiting for all the allies to disappear.

Like I'm fine doing suduwodu, I put more effort into underpowering my innas then I would have to just throw on another set.

Maybe it's because I'm on switch and it's harder to aim dashes, maybe it just sucks, maybe I just suck.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
The problems with set dungeons: a) there's no reason to do them other than as a season journey chore and b) their design being only tangentially related to how you'd actually play the set just intensifies how much of a chore they feel like. I just do IK every season because it guarantees me a clear on the first attempt (and I avoid the 6 set dungeons conquest like it's the plague).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Look at this thing of beauty.

Good enough to replace Dawn in speedruns, although it doesn't quite have the CDR to keep up Vengeance comfortably even with all the seasonal buffs. Would have to make a lot of sacrifices elsewhere.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Pretty good showing for Shadow this season, Impale interacts nicely with the gem gimmicks. Everybody above me on the leaderboards has 3x the Paragon so there's room to grow with this build as well. The next optimization would be cubing up an elemental TP and perfect Lacunis, which will probably take forever.

I've been pushing impale and around 120 rift wise. Just not sure how I am gonna get damage up, the explode damage on kill seems useless at that level. I am doing fire, maybe should I consider cold?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

exquisite tea posted:

Look at this thing of beauty.

Good enough to replace Dawn in speedruns, although it doesn't quite have the CDR to keep up Vengeance comfortably even with all the seasonal buffs. Would have to make a lot of sacrifices elsewhere.

Mainstat? SMH

e: I know why you did it, but mainstat on weapons is still poverty

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 4, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Would the game be broken if In-geom could Emanate?

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Not soul shard broken, but yeah it'd be silly since follower weapons don't do much right now.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Would the game be broken if In-geom could Emanate?

Season 26, Season of Eminent Domain: all legendary affixes are emanate.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bust Rodd posted:

If you have the gear you can master all 4 set dungeons for a class in under an hour total, every year the complaints about them feel sillier and sillier.

As a green wings-having no-lifer, the problem is not that they're hard by any means, especially at this point. The problem is that a lot of them are annoying, requiring either weirdly specific gear choices or downscaling yourself immensely to counteract the power creep of the years. I absolutely agree that if you have the gear and the knowledge most of them are trivial to master, but it can be frustrating to get to that point sometimes.

The only set dungeon I'd personally call hard is Wrath of the Wastes, and that's just because "take no physical damage" is a really dumb objective to have.

In unrelated news, the Butcher on floor 3 of the Darkening of Tristram event appears to drop one of each soul shard when you kill him.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Mind over Matter posted:

In unrelated news, the Butcher on floor 3 of the Darkening of Tristram event appears to drop one of each soul shard when you kill him.

Can confirm, Butcher on floor 2 and Skeleton King on floor 3 both do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How long does Tristram run? Forgot to hit that up