Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I think I've mentioned this before, but my general opinion about the P4/G social links is that the non-party ones are better than P5 s-links (I remember really liking Saki's brother and the Death lady off the top of my head), but the party s-links are generally really bad.

I feel the opposite way about the non-party links/confidants. In P4G, I disliked the Moon, Strength, Jester, Devil, Temperance and Tower links, while I only disliked Devil, Moon and Tower in P5R. I felt the P5/P5R non-party links were better overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gun kid ftw. huge tower fan here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

anakha posted:

I feel the opposite way about the non-party links/confidants. In P4G, I disliked the Moon, Strength, Jester, Devil, Temperance and Tower links, while I only disliked Devil, Moon and Tower in P5R. I felt the P5/P5R non-party links were better overall.

Which ones did you like in P5? I can't think of any I liked much. My issue is mostly with nearly all the P5 social links just being really boring.

vvvv I also liked gun kid, I'll grant that. Though I still prefer some of the P4/G ones to him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm always gonna defend P4 Temperance. I always see it brought up as one of the worst in the game but it's such a sweet, sad, and extremely realistic little story.

And of course all P4 Social Links have this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZMW7zS7F7s

It can't be beat.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 2, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The non party S links are much better in 4. Moon and Temperance as well as sakis brother. All good poo poo, even death is alright. Devil's the only one that really whiffs.

The party links on the other hand are absolutely terrible. Partly because they're all a loving ouroboros of pointlessness and partly because every party member in P4 belongs in the trash.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The P4 party social links mostly suck besides Chie but the P4 party is good and you are insane.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Arist posted:

People point to some hidden voice files that potentially indicate Yosuke was at one point a romance, but I'm not sure I buy that it was ever a real possibility and we have no idea what stage of development those lines are even from.

i would argue the fact that there are english voicelines about Yosuke's romance option is a pretty good indicator that it was definitely pretty far in development :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
There are lines in English in Persona 3 of Akihiko exclaiming surprise that an enemy shadow is immune to Almighty. I guess that means that late in development he was going to be a navigator.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gaius Marius posted:

The non party S links are much better in 4. Moon and Temperance as well as sakis brother. All good poo poo, even death is alright. Devil's the only one that really whiffs.

P4 Tower is loving godawful.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mix. posted:

i would argue the fact that there are english voicelines about Yosuke's romance option is a pretty good indicator that it was definitely pretty far in development :v:

It was most liikely already removed before the game was translated. The localization team and dubbers just translate all the files they're given without checking if they're actually called during gameplay or just leftovers that didn't get deleted.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
P5 team: "Hey remember that S Link in the last game where an older woman flirts with you but in the end she's not actually into you? What if we did that again, but this time she actually was into you, and also you could date her?"

RevolverDivider posted:

The P4 party social links mostly suck besides Chie but the P4 party is good and you are insane.

Even if you hate everyone else I don't see how anyone could dislike Kanji. Kanji is the greatest.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Mix. posted:

I always looked at this cut stuff as the possible rationalization for Yosuke's incredibly lovely behavior to Kanji and for him to have a "come to Jesus moment" about it later on down the line, even if you didn't romance him, he still could've had the understanding of why he was so freaked out. It would've been a really good resolution to the whole thing.

But they didn't and Yosuke's just an rear end in a top hat.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Lotus Aura posted:

There are lines in English in Persona 3 of Akihiko exclaiming surprise that an enemy shadow is immune to Almighty. I guess that means that late in development he was going to be a navigator.

Do any of the weapons you can make for Akihiko deal Almighty damage? Shinjiro has a similar line about lightning damage due to one of the weapons you can make for him

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gruckles posted:

It was most liikely already removed before the game was translated. The localization team and dubbers just translate all the files they're given without checking if they're actually called during gameplay or just leftovers that didn't get deleted.

It's this.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Which ones did you like in P5? I can't think of any I liked much. My issue is mostly with nearly all the P5 social links just being really boring.

Sun, Hanged Man, Hierophant, and Death from base P5. Add Councillor to that list from P5R.

From P4G, I can say I liked Hierophant and Justice and that's pretty much it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RevolverDivider posted:

It was a little bit of a shame both the character I liked most in 4 AND 5 wanted to be cops.

Sorry about that, we just despise the police is all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

P4 Tower is loving godawful.

Well Me and everyone else routinely forgets he exists so I guess it's fine. Also his final scene is loving hilarious for how pathetic it is

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dawgstar posted:

It was a little bit of a shame both the character I liked most in 4 AND 5 wanted to be cops.

Sorry about that, we just despise the police is all.

That’s why Strikers is best, aside from Makoto, the whole squad is very ACAB (especially Haru) and the actual cop who joins you is also like “uh maybe you should reconsider, cops suck”

My head canon is that after the events of that game, Makoto graduates college and her, Sae and Gramps form a paranormal detective agency, dealing with further metaverse incursions.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Even if you hate everyone else I don't see how anyone could dislike Kanji. Kanji is the greatest.

Kanji is great, but I really disagree on his final choice of hair color, blonde looks good on him.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So uh P5R spoilers Maruki is just the law route, right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lol this new content is off to a great start (spoilers for current date)

Lol this completely twisted and jokerfied Akechi in your party, that showtime was hilarious

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 3, 2022

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lol this completely twisted and jokerfied Akechi in your party, that showtime was hilarious

Crow and Joker have different variations of lines for that Showtime. I'd share a compilation with you but there's a boss spoiler in those vids.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The new content does wonders for making you like them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
P4G is the one I played and I went from being "oh wow, is everyone here gay?" to "Wait, none of them are gay, not even a little?" And got a little annoyed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

He wasn’t just crazy for his boss battle. He’s been Chaotic Evil edgelord the entire time underneath the perfect act. If anything, he’s thrilled to not have to pretend to not be an rear end anymore. It really made me appreciate his character more. Especially since it disproves all the nonsense from his fans that kept ranting that he was just some good little boy led astray that needed a hug.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

P4G is the one I played and I went from being "oh wow, is everyone here gay?" to "Wait, none of them are gay, not even a little?" And got a little annoyed.

TBH this is how I feel every time I start a new Persona title...let me date boys Atlus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DC Murderverse posted:

That’s why Strikers is best, aside from Makoto, the whole squad is very ACAB (especially Haru) and the actual cop who joins you is also like “uh maybe you should reconsider, cops suck”

My head canon is that after the events of that game, Makoto graduates college and her, Sae and Gramps form a paranormal detective agency, dealing with further metaverse incursions.

Gotta restart the Kuzunoha Detective Agency.

Alder posted:

TBH this is how I feel every time I start a new Persona title...let me date boys Atlus.

Well, you can sort-of in Persona 2...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I decided to abandon my P5 playthrough and youtube the ending after 98 ish hours of playtime because I wanted to try Strikers now that it is free on PS Plus.

And of course theres at least 2+ hours of plot before you even get to the fighting stuff lol.

It's a proper sequel alright. Still, it feels very nostalgic since it's been ages since I last played P5.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Chie/Yukiko scene in the first dungeon.

Just got to this scene last night, it is absolutely what I expected. Let the teens be gay Atlus!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Geostomp posted:

He wasn’t just crazy for his boss battle. He’s been Chaotic Evil edgelord the entire time underneath the perfect act. If anything, he’s thrilled to not have to pretend to not be an rear end anymore. It really made me appreciate his character more. Especially since it disproves all the nonsense from his fans that kept ranting that he was just some good little boy led astray that needed a hug.

I found a piece of art on Twitter that made me think of this post

https://twitter.com/sohaoying/status/1478182229218152453?s=21

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
After doing the first Jail in Strikers I think I very much prefer this style of Persona compared to vanilla.

The battles go quicker, there's no time limit in real world and the sim element is still there, but much more streamlined.

It feels like Persona Revengeance.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just picked up P5R. Any good advice?

And is there any DLC worth getting? I was thinking the Featherman one for the sentai suits, and the Personas one might be useful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Personas are so absurdly broken that using them will destroy any joy to be found in the combat. I'd recommend not only not buying them but also not summoning any of the free DLC ones from the original game that the game gives you for free from the compendium.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

And is there any DLC worth getting? I was thinking the Featherman one for the sentai suits, and the Personas one might be useful.

Personally, the DLCs are pretty much just nice-to-haves as the DLC Personas are mainly 'win more' tools and you can still comfortably finish the game without them. The Battle Bundle might be more worth it for the extra challenge battles but you can hold off on getting that until you're convinced you like the challenge battles enough to get that DLC.

On the DLC costumes, fair warning: one of the new characters added for the Royal expansion has a completely separate DLC for their outfits, so if you want to get a special outfit DLC like the Featherman set, you also need to get the separate DLC for that character to get their matching outfit.

My advice? You can get the free Legacy DLC bundle for now and figure out what paid DLC you want to spend money on later on while playing the game.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I can't recall what doc I have installed for the Persona 5 Royal persona calculator and it's real frustrating. Pretty sure I just downloaded everything free though.

Question, in mementos, there is a trophy for getting all the stamp upgrades.

I'm at the end of the original game now descending into mementos to kill the treasure boss and I'm missing like ~12? Are they recurved in the post original game content or something?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I picked up Strikers on PS+ this month after remembering I bounced off it on PC for whatever reason. Beat the first Jail this time anyway! Two questions about the plot thus far. Was shadow Rise but bigger, dommier and a rabbit really necessary? Also why do we need to borrow a camper when Haru "I booked the entirety of Tokyo Disney out for an evening with my new friends" Okumura is standing right there?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I can't recall what doc I have installed for the Persona 5 Royal persona calculator and it's real frustrating. Pretty sure I just downloaded everything free though.

Question, in mementos, there is a trophy for getting all the stamp upgrades.

I'm at the end of the original game now descending into mementos to kill the treasure boss and I'm missing like ~12? Are they recurved in the post original game content or something?

I just went floor down / floor up repeatedly until I got both a Futaba floor show power and a visible stamp. There's one on each floor guaranteed by the exit, but the remaining ones are random.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arist posted:

The Personas are so absurdly broken that using them will destroy any joy to be found in the combat. I'd recommend not only not buying them but also not summoning any of the free DLC ones from the original game that the game gives you for free from the compendium.

My solution to this was simply waiting until I would naturally have the DLC persona at that level if I wanted to buy, or fusing into them (which you could do).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So if I want to play Royal with the intent of doing the closest thing I can get to New Game Plus until I get to the new content (I've already played and beaten base P5), those free DLC personas would be basically just what I want, and if they're still OP by the time I get to the third semester or whatever I can just dump them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Caidin posted:

Also why do we need to borrow a camper when Haru "I booked the entirety of Tokyo Disney out for an evening with my new friends" Okumura is standing right there?

:shrug:
Sojiro was offering, so why not? Other options would have taken time.
Also the group is supposed to keep a low profile so any gajillions yen option would be suboptimal [/understatement]