Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

The U.S. went decades without even bothering to train enough fusion physicists to replace the ones dying of old age. It's a problem that could have been solved twenty years ago if we started forty years ago, but now it's not likely to make a difference.

plus who cares? Fission does everything fusion does except get fusion researchers grants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Chamale posted:

It's a problem that could have been solved twenty years ago if we started forty years ago, but now it's not likely to make a difference.

evergreen sentence re: climate change

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So Louisville: that's what, the third North American town almost completely destroyed by climate in the span of a year? I count two in BC and one in Colorado.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chamale posted:

The U.S. went decades without even bothering to train enough fusion physicists to replace the ones dying of old age. It's a problem that could have been solved twenty years ago if we started forty years ago, but now it's not likely to make a difference.

this graph is still a hopium reactor. i think humanity has been given a little bit of a broken brain syndrome from success of like manhattan project that it's just a matter of throwing money at it = solution. it even applies towards climate change where loads of people think "well if things get bad we can just manhattan project it out of existence!" now money certainly it helps, for example, if we had built everything to nuclear in 1960s and iterated on better facilities to re-use various byproducts over and over, things would be less bad (but make no mistake, still bad and depleting biosphere for multitude other reasons and being unsustainable). all that would have taken is money. but there's still massive resource consumption to build plants.

thus far there's been so many unassailable problems with fusion that we'd literally have to invent magic vibranium marvel materals. neutron flux and he-embrittlement already annihlates all known materials at small-scale, let alone big scale needed to run that poo poo 24/7 at 1000c for years at a time.

and also energy accounting with fusion has been borderline fraud. iter is very cool though and i support cool things

just like widening freeways doesn't solve traffic, more energy wasn't going to solve consumption, just more consumption.

basically this:

Trabisnikof posted:

plus who cares? Fission does everything fusion does except get fusion researchers grants

Trabisnikof posted:

Fusion is meaningless from a climate change perspective, might as well be talking about solar mirrors in space or dropping ice filled asteroids.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nomad2020 posted:

I've been ready for fusion since I saw The Saint, starring Val Kilmer.

The way that movie really ends is that OPEC and the US sends a kill team that's way more competent than Russian gangsters. Roll credits.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Popoto posted:

So Louisville: that's what, the third North American town almost completely destroyed by climate in the span of a year? I count two in BC and one in Colorado.

There were a few towns in California

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the difference between fusion and large scale space mirrors is that the latter is way more technically feasible

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Over 7,000 hectares on the border of Victoria and South Australia went up in flames this weekend and it barely even made the news. Very normal and cool

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thats because in the civilized world we measure things correctly

in square ferrets

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

thats because in the civilized world we measure things correctly

in square ferrets

we need a conversion to football fields

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nomad2020 posted:

I've been ready for fusion since I saw The Saint, starring Val Kilmer.

same, but Chain reaction with Keanu Reeves

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What the gently caress it was 70 Yesterday and we were under a Tornado Warning and now it's 29 degrees and we have an inch of snow.

gently caress

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I know we're all done talking about the movie but on these things, I like to hear all the chatter get the spoilers and then watch stuff. I feel like lead up hype is all bad and want the cook it all down, take a deep breath, clear my mind and then watch

It was all what everyone here said.

I'm fully pinged and have been for a while, but the scene when they are cooking the family dinner, idk why they chose to put in Bernadette by the Four Tops. It's not very fitting but it's a song that is extremely deeply emotionally important for me and has been my favorite song for 30 years. Sure it was the penultimate montage to the crescendo of the movie, but because it was that song I cried. And I didn't stop crying till the credits. And I feel privileged to be able to write that.

We really did have everything.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Buck Turgidson posted:

Over 7,000 hectares on the border of Victoria and South Australia went up in flames this weekend and it barely even made the news. Very normal and cool

Lmao 2022 really is 2020 Two. Next week Biden will nearly start war with Iran and a whole new pandemic will take foot

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

Lmao 2022 really is 2020 Two. Next week Biden will nearly start war with Iran and a whole new pandemic will take foot

i figure we might take a short break on the former project:

https://twitter.com/SecDef/status/1477804446763700224

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Saint really needs a MST3K episode or a RiffTrax at some point. That movie is horrifically bad.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/02/neurological-illness-affecting-young-adults-canada

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

yo gently caress this

quote:

A woman in her 30s was described as non-verbal, is feeding with a tube and drools excessively. Her caregiver, a nursing student in her 20s, also recently started showing symptoms of neurological decline.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Two years, huh?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
need some eastern canuckadian experts to weigh in

some theories is BMAA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Methylamino-L-alanine spread via lobster/crab. probably not a prion since those are slower

in actual unrelated news, rates of dementia and alzheimers have like doubled in the last 20 years. and no it's not "better diagnosing" as the libs love to say

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Jan 3, 2022

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Xaris posted:

some theories is BMAA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Methylamino-L-alanine spread via lobster/crab

first covid now bmaa

nature is striking back

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

thanks obmaa

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

lol I saw this earlier today and opened this thread just now specifically to post it

lmao it's scary as poo poo

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

Despite the striking details surrounding the newer cases, the province has worked to tamp down fears. In October, officials suggested that the eight fatal cases were the result of misdiagnosis, arguing that instead of suffering from a shared neurological illness, the victims had died of known and unrelated pathologies.

[...]

Beatty and his sister have pleaded to have their father’s remains tested for neurotoxins, including β-Methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA), which some have suggested could be the culprit behind the illness.

In one study, high concentrations of BMAA were found in lobster, an industry that drives the economies of many of New Brunswick’s coastal communities. The province’s apparent resistance to testing for suspected environmental factors has led to speculation among families that the efforts to rule out the existence of a cluster could be motivated by political decision making.

[...]

The scientist said teams are ready to begin the research, but “New Brunswick has specifically told us not to go forward with that work”.

"Maybe if we ignore this and say it's bad data it will just go away and not make our number sad."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Complications posted:

"Maybe if we ignore this and say it's bad data it will just go away and not make our number sad."

worked for covid 1 through 39 so far

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The non-stop deadly and horrible diseases ending is really the only one that's too horrific for me to even lmao about, so of course that's where we'll end up.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Paradoxish posted:

The non-stop deadly and horrible diseases ending is really the only one that's too horrific for me to even lmao about, so of course that's where we'll end up.

Turns out extinction is a neurological issue.

It's why all the beliefs in some rapid collapse are so hollow. We're going out like a dementia patient. We're just now in the early stages where we realize what we've lost.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

No, no, there are FOUR horsemen and we'll be visited by all of them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

tbf covid didn't even phase me. was just another lol easily preventable thing that capitalism was always going to be unable to deal with it. but at least you know what it is, can do something on a personal-level, and has measurable expected impacts (ranging from nothing, to pots to myocarditis to death) with at least scientific-understanding of it.

immense unknowing and vast environmental poisoning that we've gummed the whole world up with is far more scary, even if the risk is less immediate, because its guaranteed in everything we breathe to mass-produced foods we consume and just slowly rotting not just humanity but the entire biosphere out from the inside out

anyways we're also (over)due for a relatively fast-action contagious prion. i suppose a massive megapork and beef-spread prion would be in the planet's favor

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
maybe a little too much guardian and not even sure where this is appropriate but planetary death seems appropriate enough: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/jan/02/attention-span-focus-screens-apps-smartphones-social-media

although i would disagree that it's not a medical epidemic, it's seems both likely a medical epidemic (in the environment, and resulting foods-from-environment we eat) and a societal epidemic

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Jan 3, 2022

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Xaris posted:

some theories is BMAA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Methylamino-L-alanine spread via lobster/crab. probably not a prion since those are slower

in actual unrelated news, rates of dementia and alzheimers have like doubled in the last 20 years. and no it's not "better diagnosing" as the libs love to say

Do you have a source for that?
Quick Google turned up

https://n.neurology.org/content/95/5/e519 posted:

Conclusion The incidence rate of dementia in Europe and North America has declined by 13% per decade over the past 25 years, consistently across studies. Incidence is similar for men and women, although declines were somewhat more profound in men.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

uguu posted:

Do you have a source for that?
Quick Google turned up

https://www.bcbs.com/the-health-of-america/reports/early-onset-dementia-alzheimers-disease-affecting-younger-american-adults
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/08/dementia-30s-40s-alzheimers-society-better-diagnosis
https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/why-are-more-younger-adults-developing-alzheimers-and-dementia/

i suppose that's early-onset

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Two years, huh?

Maybe it's related to that mysterious lung disease that's been ravaging Florida for two years?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I just watched the Netflix fungus movie and have decided I am going to grow mushrooms. fungus propaganda is the best propaganda.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

I just watched the Netflix fungus movie and have decided I am going to grow mushrooms. fungus propaganda is the best propaganda.

We grew mushrooms just recently, using one of those home kits. Highly recommended!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Growing mushrooms is great. If you have the ability to set up a camera to record their growth over like a day or so, I'd recommend it because it's incredible to watch.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
unclebens

i mean, it works for normal mushroom spores too

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

unclebens

i mean, it works for normal mushroom spores too

just spring for a pressure cooker and follow some teks, it's gonna pay back for itself very quickly and results are much more consistent

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Popoto posted:

Southern Indiana Goon here: What happened to Louisville? I get there was some fires and those tornados, but is it supposed to be gone or something?

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

thechosenone posted:

Southern Indiana Goon here: What happened to Louisville? I get there was some fires and those tornados, but is it supposed to be gone or something?

Louisville, Kentucky was one of the areas hit by the five state ultranado

Louisville, Colorado was just hit by a brush firestorm that obliterated 1,000 houses