Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NFTs have played a large part in that; when it was just numbers people could largely shrug it off as strange investment stuff, but now you have these skin-crawling weirdos shoving their ugly monkey jpegs in people's faces and giving them cult-like screeds about the future of the internet and how life-changing it is to own a lovely monkey jpeg, and people are cottoning on that these aren't sane people in full possession of their faculties.

And that's on the back of the massive ongoing chip shortages, and while crypto isn't entirely to blame for that, of all the things that people should be allowed to waste limited resources on, planet-burning funny money is right at the bottom of most people's lists.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
NFTs are utterly mind boggling to me

Like, at least you can use crypto to buy drugs

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I was very pleased that my mum emailed me to ask if she was missing something or were NFTs really as stupid as they sounded.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Crypto managed to transition from being a large bundle of regular scams backed by a drugs marketplace into being an even larger bunch of complicated market scams backed in a similar way to US subprime mortgages in 2008. Much like then, the idea that this is a stable and sustainable activity that could never go tits-up has brought in a class of respectable money-men who are right now convincing your CEO at a party that this is something they need to be looking into.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Imagine if instead of drugs you were a massive nerd with too much money and instead had figured out a way to buy social validation with other terrible rich nerds.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh I almost forgot, there's also the rampant art theft where they just steal artwork from anyone and everyone and sell it without a hint of shame in a mad attempt to profit on absolutely anything they can get their hands on, and upon being challenged on it their earnest response is that the artist should have done it first. So now anyone who creates art or follows artists is pretty much guaranteed to despise crypto with all their heart.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
A bunch of horrible people who have wasted their money on something stupid all band together to convince each other they have made the right choice by forming a tight knit community of horrible people who have all made the same terrible decision, as whoever has taken their money gets rich for doing nothing

Glad I haven't ever participated in anything like that

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
NFTs sound dumb but have you also considered that they look like poo poo?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

No they don't, the NFT exists on the blockchain, it's not the same as the horrible monkey picture.

I mention this not to be pedantic (okay, maybe a little) but because I enjoy pointing out how incredibly dumb the whole thing is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The blockchain also looks like poo poo.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

They could be unique pieces of beautiful art, made and sold by the actual artist.

But nope, they're the product of culturally void techbros who want an instant return for no effort, so lovely procedurally generated cartoon monkey JPEGs it is!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

No they don't, the NFT exists on the blockchain, it's not the same as the horrible monkey picture.

I mention this not to be pedantic (okay, maybe a little) but because I enjoy pointing out how incredibly dumb the whole thing is.

I refuse to learn what a block chain is.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Imagine instead of using crypto to buy drugs you used crypto to sell drugs, and as a result you needed to wash your bitcoin/etherium before you cashed out.

NFTs

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

imagine four ledgers at the edge of a cliff

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's a chain. Of blocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's just a transaction log, except instead of having like, a bank, which can be audited by the government if they start randomly taking money out of your account, holding the transaction log, you instead have millions of computers constantly doing maths to try and establish a consensus reality of the transaction log, and you have to keep adding computing power to this because the more transactions the amount of maths goes up exponentially (this is by design) and also if anyone got control of enough of the computers they could just make up whatever they wanted.

this is Progress, and better than Banks and Statist Fiat Currency.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Bob page plugs himself into the big computer and now controls all the apes

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Basically the NFT is a post-it note with a URL to the horrible monkey picture. You own the post-it, not the picture, and pointing this out really pisses off the techbros.

I'm actually not sure where the horrible monkey pictures are located, you'd hope somewhere secure.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Basically the NFT is a post-it note with a URL to the horrible monkey picture. You own the post-it, not the picture, and pointing this out really pisses off the techbros.

I'm actually not sure where the horrible monkey pictures are located, you'd hope somewhere secure.

On my PC after I save them. Not because I like them, just because of the principle of it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

It's just a transaction log, except instead of having like, a bank, which can be audited by the government if they start randomly taking money out of your account, holding the transaction log, you..

My eyes have glazed over like a pair of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My eyes have glazed over like a pair of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Probably for the best really. You could use that brain space for literally anything else.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Did we mention the bit where you use as much electricity as entire countries? Bitcoin alone is 0.5% of all electricity usage in the world.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How much electricity do all the computer games take?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh look, the Tesla defender has also decided to defend crypto with whataboutism. What a loving shock.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The sum of the world's PC gaming is estimated to consume upwards of 75TWh annually. There's no global estimates available for other gaming platforms. Bitcoin consumes110TWh annually and Ethereum consumes about 75TWh also (but will soon migrate to PoS).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How much electricity do all the hospitals in the world use? Checkmate, crypto haters :smuggo:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Azza Bamboo posted:

The sum of the world's PC gaming is estimated to consume upwards of 75TWh annually. There's no global estimates available for other gaming platforms. Bitcoin consumes110TWh annually and Ethereum consumes about 75TWh also (but will soon migrate to PoS).

my civ2 sessions prob contribute to that but i just really want to stick it to that shithead xerxes :mad:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends if I leave my PS5 in rest mode or not

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

my civ2 sessions prob contribute to that but i just really want to stick it to that shithead xerxes :mad:

You really need to migrate to Civ 5. I haven’t gotten into Civ 6.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://twitter.com/DigiEconomist/s...ingawful.com%2F

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

quote:

So just how big is gaming’s environmental footprint? Globally, PC gamers use about 75 billion kilowatt hours of electricity a year, equivalent to the output of 25 electric power plants. (And that doesn’t include console games.) In the United States, games consumes $6 billion worth of electricity annually — more power than electric water heaters, cooking appliances, clothes dryers, dishwashers, or freezers. As the report concludes, “video gaming is among the very most intensive uses of electricity in homes.” And more power means more greenhouse gas emissions: American gamers emit about 12 million tons of carbon dioxide annually — the equivalent of about 2.3 million passenger cars. Games are rated for things like sex and violence, Mills points out, but games and gear are “silent on their carbon footprint.”

So, firstly, anyone who mixes comparisons like this should be shot. I have no intuition for how many power plants there are worldwide or even per state. 25 certainly sounds like a lot but is it? The comparison doesn't impart any information. And "more power than electric water heaters, cooking appliances, clothes dryers, dishwashers, or freezers" technically is comparing it to those things individually, but by slamming them into a list it reads as if its more than them combined. What they mean is "your gaming rig isa sizable chunk of a households electricty bill", which isn't exactly noteworthy.

2.3 million cars also sounds like a lot, but there are 289 million cars in the USA. But if I state "American gamers emit as much carbon as 1% of our cars" it sounds trivial.

Secondly, I loving hate when people mix SI units. billion kilowatt hours just jars my brain.

Thirdly, I can only convert by counting 000s on my fingers. Kila-mega-giga-tera. So 75 TWh. Bitcoin is 110 TWh.

Which makes me think that the "crypto is burning down the amazon" is a bit of an exaggeration, and I'm torn between intellectual honesty and dunking on techbros.

Although this has kind of driven home to me how loving horrible combustion engines are, when such a massive chunk of home energy usage is equivalent to a few % of cars. Jesus. Can we just ban cars?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Azza Bamboo posted:

(but will soon migrate to PoS).

or not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If all the teslas in the world went on fire at once do u think that would be a net reducation in co2 emissions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So, firstly, anyone who mixes comparisons like this should be shot. I have no intuition for how many power plants there are worldwide or even per state. 25 certainly sounds like a lot but is it? The comparison doesn't impart any information. And "more power than electric water heaters, cooking appliances, clothes dryers, dishwashers, or freezers" technically is comparing it to those things individually, but by slamming them into a list it reads as if its more than them combined. What they mean is "your gaming rig isa sizable chunk of a households electricty bill", which isn't exactly noteworthy.

2.3 million cars also sounds like a lot, but there are 289 million cars in the USA. But if I state "American gamers emit as much carbon as 1% of our cars" it sounds trivial.

Secondly, I loving hate when people mix SI units. billion kilowatt hours just jars my brain.

Thirdly, I can only convert by counting 000s on my fingers. Kila-mega-giga-tera. So 75 TWh. Bitcoin is 110 TWh.

Which makes me think that the "crypto is burning down the amazon" is a bit of an exaggeration, and I'm torn between intellectual honesty and dunking on techbros.

Although this has kind of driven home to me how loving horrible combustion engines are, when such a massive chunk of home energy usage is equivalent to a few % of cars. Jesus. Can we just ban cars?

If you ban videogames people will have to do other things, which definitely will not involve driving cars anywhere.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
As much as gamers do not deserve rights or dignity, the energy used by a video game does at least contribute significantly to a person's happiness, especially compared with the joy-per-joule of using a farm of graphics cards to let a person own a string of numbers claimed by someone or other to be connected to a cartoon monkey

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If all the teslas in the world went on fire at once do u think that would be a net reducation in co2 emissions

No, because their owners are all idiots who will instantly replace them with an even bigger waste of aluminium, lithium and unrecyclable plastic shipped all around the world to save pennies on tax and labour costs.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ultimately the capacity for computational energy consumption is limited by the hardware available to the industry, and the application which runs the hardware continuously at near maximum output will always be a larger consumer of energy per hardware unit than an application that runs each unit for smaller sessions and at a variable percentage of the unit's power during a session. It means the sum of gaming being potentially as large or larger than bitcoin is inherently due to the sheer scale of the uptake on video gaming when compared with bitcoin. In other words, each KWh given to video gaming inherently benefits significantly more people than one used in bitcoin mining and transactions.

E: (for actual numbers there's about 80 million unique Bitcoin wallets and 1.7 Billion PC gamers.)

But that's not how it works anyway. The way it works is people trying to make money have found a way to con idiots and that may or may not involve vast energy consumption as a side effect. Just like Tesla, it's all about creating hype and selling an overpriced piece of poo poo to smoothbrains who'll get all hyped about "the future".

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 3, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JamieRussell_74/status/1477648811669561347

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Conversation has moved on a bit, but does anyone have a good article which takes dissects crypto and explains why it's awful? I've hated it from the start, originally just cos it appealed to so many wankers, and later because I learnt about the environmental cost, but now I have a few mates who are into it, and other than 'but but but it's exploitative' I can't articulate why I find it so gross.

I read this recently which covers most of it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Attack-50-Foot-Blockchain-Contracts-ebook/dp/B073CPP581

It is slightly out of date, given it was written a few years ago, and the space moves pretty fast, but it pretty clearly lays out why pretty much all of it is a scam.

edit:

Darth Walrus posted:

Read Attack of the Fifty Foot Blockchain, if you don't mind shelling out a little cash for an ebook. It's by a goon, and it's very good.

beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I just want a new graphics card. I hate those cunts so much.