Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Does anyone have that online test kit ordering website link?

e: VV yes thank you!

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

brugroffil posted:

Does anyone have that online test kit ordering website link?
Did you mean https://ihealthlabs.com?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

darkwasthenight posted:

Data suggests a low end range of a few weeks and a top range of almost two years. Studies continue.

So the guy from Texas Roadhouse killed himself over nothing? Tinnitus and diabetes from covid can go away? I thought the people with brain fog have been saying it never goes away?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Blooster posted:

So the guy from Texas Roadhouse killed himself over nothing? Tinnitus and diabetes from covid can go away? I thought the people with brain fog have been saying it never goes away?

I think by "almost two years" they mean "we literally only have data from the almost two years this pandemic has existed", not saying diabetes can vanish. They were quoting someone who said the pandemic has been going for almost two years, and in turn said we have data for almost two years.

Maybe it can go away, somehow, magically. Probably not. But we literally don't know because that's the range of data we have to work with.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Just got home from getting my Moderna booster! Got food and am chilling, feeling lightheaded already, here we go!!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Grammarchist posted:

Rokita was always an absolute dipshit, his campaign slogan being "Stop the Elites!" which was at the time aimed against public school teachers who were organizing against education cuts. Holcomb is one of those infuriating "reasonable republicans" who gleefully empowers people like Rokita knowing full well what they are, but can't countenance giving aid and comfort to a Democrat because they might raise taxes and teach evolution or something radical like that.

And yeah, our billboards are insufferable. Way back when I remember an abortion billboard had gotten partially torn during a storm revealing an old patriotic billboard underneath, causing it to read "Pray to End America."
lol, I went to high school with other members of the Rokita family. Todd was a few years ahead of me. I remember very little about them other than that they were unremarkable dipshits with money.

e: Maybe his sister was a class president or something?

I don't know, but the idea of a rich family from Munster fighting against "the elites" is loving hilarious

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 1, 2022

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

dwarf74 posted:

lol, I went to high school with other members of the Rokita family. Todd was a few years ahead of me. I remember very little about them other than that they were unremarkable dipshits with money.

e: Maybe his sister was a class president or something?

I don't know, but the idea of a rich family from Munster fighting against "the elites" is loving hilarious

At the risk of getting too political, that's kind of the grift that most US politicians play. Trust fund kids and wealthy fuckabouts get and talk about how some ivory tower fuckhead is going to screw you, but what they're selling you is *another* ivory tower fuckhead screwing you, but they at least are waving a tiny American flag while they do it.

It's almost impressive how heavy they politized a public health crisis.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Tiny Myers posted:

I think by "almost two years" they mean "we literally only have data from the almost two years this pandemic has existed", not saying diabetes can vanish. They were quoting someone who said the pandemic has been going for almost two years, and in turn said we have data for almost two years.

Maybe it can go away, somehow, magically. Probably not. But we literally don't know because that's the range of data we have to work with.

Watched a German documentary about long covid recently and they showed two different approaches to treating it.

A physicist took matters into his own hands and invested a 3000€ in an innovative oxygen therapy in a pressure chamber. With success, today he feels much better.

The physician Dr. Beate Jäger developed her very own treatment method against Long Covid: blood washing. The physician has already freed blood from clots and residual particles of the virus in more than 200 patients. The result: improved quality of life and less severe symptoms.

I quote:
"Viruses have already been detected in the alveolar epithelium and endothelial cells of deceased COVID-19 patients. They show a picture of simultaneous massive inflammatory and procoagulant activation with cell necrosis, thrombi and massive fibrinoid deposits in the lung microcirculation. These fibrin deposits agglutinate the lung tissue and massively impede gas exchange." In other words, H.E.L.P. apheresis (Heparin-induced extracorporeal LDL precipitation) can be used as a promising therapeutic approach for long covid syndrome due to its anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant effects."

She's doing a study on it and wants to release it soon as possible.

ephex fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 2, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 34 hours!)

teen witch posted:

. Still, masking days are here again because I desperately need to go to the grocery store. Time to see how bad the sitch is with people masking is here

Off to Systembolaget already.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just got back from the supermarket in the UK and while 99% of people were masked, the quality of masks is clearly very poor. I wear a non-counterfeit FFP2 mask (N95 equivalent), but the vast majority are wearing well used/soiled surgical masks and to much lesser degree cloth masks.

In the last 2 years I've seen other people wear FFP2/K95 maybe 2 or 3 times.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If 99% of people just have something blocking their exhalations from going more than a few inches, that seems like it would be pretty effective to prevent spread.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Masks are completely totemic to huge swathes of people, hence why nose-dicking and pulling them down to talk is so endemic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Disco Pope posted:

Masks are completely totemic to huge swathes of people, hence why nose-dicking and pulling them down to talk is so endemic.

Also pulling them down to cough or sneeze which is :gonk:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

ephex posted:

Watched a German documentary about long covid recently and they showed two different approaches to treating it.
Those at first blush sound kinda like classic quackery, the kind of 'treatments' used on chronic lyme or whatever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here comes the flipflop

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1477674600888680452

They got a lot of flack from all sides because of that bullshit so this isn't much of a surprise

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here comes the flipflop

They got a lot of flack from all sides because of that bullshit so this isn't much of a surprise

First good news of the year.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

smackfu posted:

If 99% of people just have something blocking their exhalations from going more than a few inches, that seems like it would be pretty effective to prevent spread.

There's a reason people who remediate asbestos for a living aren't wearing a cotton strip they bought on Etsy. Even regular medical masks block droplets and reduce some aerosols, but not everything a person exhales. Cloth masks aren't always even that great at blocking droplets. A properly fitted N95 will take care of business, but the masks most people are wearing (even the dinky loose ear loop masks that say KN95) are probably better than nothing - but how much meaningfully better is an open question w/r/t omicron.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1477657029460246534?s=20
:bisonyes:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

That's just her personal account, she still has her official account to try to spew bullshit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's just her personal account, she still has her official account to try to spew bullshit.

Aren't there rules about what government officials can say on their official accounts? ISTR something about that with Trump, but it happened more than a week ago so might as well have been in late Cretaceous with the sheer volume of Happening going on right now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't there rules about what government officials can say on their official accounts?

There are no rules anymore. Dead serious. I don't mean that as a dumb quip.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I mentioned this in the Trump lol thread, but when Trump tried to do that with a few different accounts after his personal account got banned, Twitter banned those accounts too. And that was with Nazi Jack still in charge. MtGox done hosed up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m impressed she managed to violate a five strike policy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Twitter should released the five offending tweets, for research purposes.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
At a UPS Store to pick up a package, I overhear:

Unmasked chud: We're gonna find out in a year that this was all a hoax

Unmasked employee: Yeah, the government just wants to put chemicals in us

Ffs.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Woodsy Owl posted:

At a UPS Store to pick up a package, I overhear:

Unmasked chud: We're gonna find out in a year that this was all a hoax

Unmasked employee: Yeah, the government just wants to put chemicals in us

Ffs.

it never changes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Formaldehyde, most likely

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Schrödinger's Virus: the virus is a hoax by the media, but also created by China, but also part of a conspiracy by the US government, but also just the flu, but also not real.

Glass-brained morons.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here comes the flipflop

Huh I never realised that, we in the UK reduced quarantine to 7 days but still need a negative test on day 6 and 7, to just skip those and let the infected back into the wild on day 5, well, you make the UK look smart, and that's a truly special kind of special.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't there rules about what government officials can say on their official accounts? ISTR something about that with Trump, but it happened more than a week ago so might as well have been in late Cretaceous with the sheer volume of Happening going on right now.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of chuds to disregard the rules.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Huh I never realised that, we in the UK reduced quarantine to 7 days but still need a negative test on day 6 and 7, to just skip those and let the infected back into the wild on day 5, well, you make the UK look smart, and that's a truly special kind of special.

CDC is being roundly criticized right now and losing what little credibility it has on policy setting by not a) differentiating vaccinated vs unvaccinated and b) requiring a negative test result.

Even if it is too hard to get tests right now (it is) to fulfill the negative test requirement, it should still be an aspirational goal for us to try to get right.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cretin90 posted:

CDC is being roundly criticized right now and losing what little credibility it has on policy setting by not a) differentiating vaccinated vs unvaccinated and b) requiring a negative test result.

Even if it is too hard to get tests right now (it is) to fulfill the negative test requirement, it should still be an aspirational goal for us to try to get right.

I’m not sure it would be useful to differentiate on vaccinated vs unvaccinated for quarantine rules. From what I’ve understood, Covid is still running rampant in countries with very high vacc rates (88% and up) because it’s jumping from vaccinated person to vaccinated person. IMO, it makes sense to make vaccinated people quarantine same as everyone else.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Woodsy Owl posted:

Schrödinger's Virus: the virus is a hoax by the media, but also created by China, but also part of a conspiracy by the US government, but also just the flu, but also not real.

Glass-brained morons.

My favourite is the simultaneous assertion that covid is a Chinese bio weapon but we should also do absolutely nothing to try to slow/stop it’s spread and actually encourage it to spread faster.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

My favourite is the simultaneous assertion that covid is a Chinese bio weapon but we should also do absolutely nothing to try to slow/stop it’s spread and actually encourage it to spread faster.

Maybe start calling the anti-vaxxers Chinese sleeper agents and the problem will sort itself out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Chicago public schools required parents to test their kids and mail the tests in for processing. It's not going well

https://twitter.com/StuPandemicResp/status/1475963778479104000
https://twitter.com/CPSCovid/status/1477749986154663937

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There was a massive COVID outbreak at a remote Belgian Antarctica research station. The person who brought it in was fully vaccinated, tested and had completed 10 days of pre-travel self-isolation.

https://twitter.com/MlMcNamaraTD/status/1477425134508122115?t=bQTYpY91YrPTcQrFn_4oeA&s=19

Basically, everybody is gonna get it sooner or later.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GABA ghoul posted:

There was a massive COVID outbreak at a remote Belgian Antarctica research station. The person who brought it in was fully vaccinated, tested and had completed 10 days of pre-travel self-isolation.

How'd he get it, then, in the airport?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fuschia tude posted:

How'd he get it, then, in the airport?

The incubation period between exposure and first symptoms for original wildtype covid was usually around 5 to 10 days but in a very small number of cases was more than 20 days
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abc1202

10 days of isolation will catch most cases but it's not sufficient to catch all cases

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
With everything there will always be that fraction of a fraction of folks who are outside of the norm. With 6 billion rolls of the dice we're gonna see some weird stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Okay, so I could believe it was a bad test. I could even believe they got unlucky and took several bad tests in a row, but asymptomatic and low enough load to not ping an LFT while still enough to be contagious after 17 days?? :thunk: :thunk:

I'm not officially psychic and like they said, weird things happen, but still putting my money on somebody breaking pre-isolation or faking a test result, same as all the other miraculous cases that could have broken all the existing parameters for infection but turned out to be "oops, our quarantine procedures weren't as secure as we thought..."