Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'm gonna combine tuggin' with the waistband trick in loving memory of Derpies.

HELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I ain’t helping you tug.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

Im in s secret posting cabal and pull the strings of these forums from my posting lair I'm extremely powerful if not for me ur world wuld crumble peasant

I got a string you can pull BBC

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

thats what I hear

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lmao "he was actually such a bad poster that i had to ignore a thread i liked because he kept posting inane tedious poo poo. i respect him for that"

c'mon bro

Dude was real good at poo poo posting and as someone who's a perennial poo poo poster myself, I respect that he even made me tired of the waistband trick by the end of it. That's fuckin' impressive.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They read GBS and get mad or something. Or they don't read it and think there's some coherent cabal of GBS posters because they're projecting how their own forums work onto GBS. In reality GBS has high traffic and tons of randos and there are no weird cliques outside of specific threads and the forum is random af. It's also downright blaise and low-key compared to like CSPAM which seems insanely hosed up and breeds dudes shooting at dudes and Twitter posters

isnt CSPAM one big gimmick post some people take too seriously

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The waistband trick was bad but it also brought us our thread mascot beer’s balls so it’s kind of a wash :shrug:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

bagmonkey posted:

isnt CSPAM one big gimmick post some people take too seriously

I check out two threads in there and from what I can tell? No?

One of them is the [UFO] thread because it had info in it when the government was putting out that report on them a while back and some other info, etc. Except it's absolutely chock full of people posting about like chakras and astral projecting and telepathy and poo poo completly straight faced and some of it is down-right 'crystal healing' level uncomfortable and it just keeps going. It's uh...disconcerting.
I don't begrudge anyone who wants to talk about that stuff, thats fine but yikes I worry sometimes. I just wanna read about the actual UFO poo poo, dog.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

I check out two threads in there and from what I can tell? No?

One of them is the [UFO] thread because it had info in it when the government was putting out that report on them a while back and some other info, etc. Except it's absolutely chock full of people posting about like chakras and astral projecting and telepathy and poo poo completly straight faced and some of it is down-right 'crystal healing' level uncomfortable and it just keeps going. It's uh...disconcerting.
I don't begrudge anyone who wants to talk about that stuff, thats fine but yikes I worry sometimes.

I don't really wander outside of GBS a ton because I'm not nearly as committed or involved in my hobbies as a lot of the people in those subforums are. I just like poo poo posting, looking at some funny/weird/gross/dumb poo poo and helping GBS with forums achievements like getting the weed page to page 420 on 4/20.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

was derpies bad all along?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

was derpies bad all along?

Perhaps the real Derpies was the tugs he had along the way.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I usually dont stray out of GBS unless directed to something from there that is pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Why do I do this? Sure, there are some potentially interesting discussions in other threads subforums (knives, house bunnies, etc) but that is few and far between and frankly, I'll go someplace besides SA for discussion of theory, practice, design, etc for topics that I am very interested in. I'm not going to post my balls in ProBrewer.

From my observation, a significant number of subforums are intolerable due to personalities, rhetoric, bad faith, boring AF, etc - nothing uncommon to literally everywhere else on the internet. This should be expected, we all have different interests. No one is forcing me to go into them, I avoid them.

GBS has what I need in a forum right now. Humor, occasional intelligent discussion (unamericana and beer threads, for example) and I wish other goons would understand that (echoing previous comments about ignore button, harmless gimmicks posting, etc)

I dont know what is beyond the tuggin portion of posting Derpies did. I hope he did not get perma for tuggin' shitposting but on the other hand it makes me sad he might have gone beyond SA to go after someone tuggin or otherwise.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I thought the waistband trick was humourous - very Andy Kaufman

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

I usually dont stray out of GBS unless directed to something from there that is pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Why do I do this? Sure, there are some potentially interesting discussions in other threads subforums (knives, house bunnies, etc) but that is few and far between and frankly, I'll go someplace besides SA for discussion of theory, practice, design, etc for topics that I am very interested in. I'm not going to post my balls in ProBrewer.

From my observation, a significant number of subforums are intolerable due to personalities, rhetoric, bad faith, boring AF, etc - nothing uncommon to literally everywhere else on the internet. This should be expected, we all have different interests. No one is forcing me to go into them, I avoid them.

GBS has what I need in a forum right now. Humor, occasional intelligent discussion (unamericana and beer threads, for example) and I wish other goons would understand that (echoing previous comments about ignore button, harmless gimmicks posting, etc)

I dont know what is beyond the tuggin portion of posting Derpies did. I hope he did not get perma for tuggin' shitposting but on the other hand it makes me sad he might have gone beyond SA to go after someone tuggin or otherwise.

It’s this. People complain about the forums dying but then you go into Pet Island or Goons with Spoons to talk about dogs or cooking but unless you’ve been in those communities since 2001 or whatever no one engages you or you ask a question and get “huff puff uhhh that question was asked previously ten years ago in the million post megathread noob” and I say OK back to GBS to post about my bowel movements because at least that is fun.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In terms of other subforums other than the two threads I read in cspam but don't post in, the one other forum I actually will post in is the football forum.
Thats the best NFL related forum on the internet with some of the most informed people in it, and while people are clearly fans of teams there's none of the simple blind hatred and just...stupidity you see on random other sports sites. They're great dudes so if you like football or you're just interested in reading about it sometime, don't be scared to wander in there, it's great.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I thought the waistband trick was humourous - very Andy Kaufman

def sounds like you were doing it wrong if it was making you laugh

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lmao "he was actually such a bad poster that i had to ignore a thread i liked because he kept posting inane tedious poo poo. i respect him for that"

c'mon bro

meh, this thread was where the gimmick poo poo was accepted for a long time. i figured if it was here it wasn't elsewhere. and i did probe him occasionally when it was elsewhere and he was trying to derail threads with it.

a lot of his posting was literally trying to get probated which was pretty lovely of him but whatever

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Big Beef City posted:

In terms of other subforums other than the two threads I read in cspam but don't post in, the one other forum I actually will post in is the football forum.
Thats the best NFL related forum on the internet with some of the most informed people in it, and while people are clearly fans of teams there's none of the simple blind hatred and just...stupidity you see on random other sports sites. They're great dudes so if you like football or you're just interested in reading about it sometime, don't be scared to wander in there, it's great.

:hmmyes:

gently caress the Cowboys.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
trying to get probated + discord to call ppl to come get pissed about you getting probated = fun for reading GBS :thumbsup:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

meh, this thread was where the gimmick poo poo was accepted for a long time. i figured if it was here it wasn't elsewhere. and i did probe him occasionally when it was elsewhere and he was trying to derail threads with it.

a lot of his posting was literally trying to get probated which was pretty lovely of him but whatever

A lot of my posting ISN'T trying to get probated and I STILL manage to pull it off :smug:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

I probably didn't realize this as much because I generally tuned out his white noise posting but thats a fair point

Idk, I'll probably forget about everything in a few days, ADHD fuckin rules for that

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Whenever I want to get probated I just go to the cursed images thread and ask for it since you get a funny pic for the probe reason.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Aardvark! posted:

trying to get probated + discord to call ppl to come get pissed about you getting probated = fun for reading GBS :thumbsup:

Whenever people get probed or some poo poo n ask for backup on doscord I'm like lol, how do people get so pissed about being probed

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

One of my old co-workers was a goon who registered in the mid 2000s and only posts in AI I think. He has absolutely zero clue what happens outside of the threads he posts in in AI, to the point that I had to let him know Lowtax was selling the forums. The forums are really fascinating

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Anyway Derpies was dead set on annoying people as much as possible so he def shouldn't be surprised he eventually got owned for it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's important to know that annoying people is a marathon, not a sprint!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
TBB is a lot friendlier than it used to be, although I don't know about the lit thread as I am a genre baby

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I post in the Couch Chat thread and absolutely nowhere else in TVIV, it's a small bastion of sanity for casual discussion of shows and news without batshit paragraphs of theories

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Aardvark! posted:

I post in the Couch Chat thread and absolutely nowhere else in TVIV, it's a small bastion of sanity for casual discussion of shows and news without batshit paragraphs of theories

also the RLM thread is this but for CD. no offense to either forum but definitely not my Cup Of Tea

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

OK back to GBS to post about my bowel movements

Go on.....

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The 'Ancient Roman/History' thread in 'Ask/Tell' is loving spectacular even if it skews away from 'roman history' and into 'I REALLY don't care about this poo poo' territory for acres at a crack in the latter stages, it's still great material, simply not in areas I'm personally interested in sometimes. It's easy enough to navigate around/skip.
Like in no way is it poo poo posting or speculative nonsense or something, just sometimes things like medieval sword making get discussed for a while and I'm like "I don't giiiive aaaa shiiiiiitttttt", that kinda thing, lots of people do, and that's cool, and it's good, reliable info.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
wtf

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
had my teams notifications turned off because holidays. Been up for a minute. Just got on. Message from boss 9pm last night: hey look our calendar says Jan 3rd is a US Holiday for us, you don't have to work tomorrow

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like the Headphones thread in Inspect Your Gadgets. It owns and has an astonishing post rate of like a single page a month.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

had my teams notifications turned off because holidays. Been up for a minute. Just got on. Message from boss 9pm last night: hey look our calendar says Jan 3rd is a US Holiday for us, you don't have to work tomorrow

the hell is today a 'US holiday' for? I'm in the US and I don't know about no drat holiday

As I was typing this there was a news bumper on the radio that literally called today "The first workday of the new year"

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

Just a theoretical question: what is someone has been interested in football since childhood but their favorite team (Jets) has been consistanly heartbreakingly disappointing for their entire life and it's hard to get back into it because of sports-related PTSD? Also, they live in a Patriots hotbed?

It's not me, its um, ilovebreadsooomuch, yeah that poster.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i have bookmarks in various threads around the forums and yeah many of them are like their own little ecosystems where the denizens rarely venture outside of their bubble. it's kinda nice that way

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just a theoretical question: what is someone has been interested in football since childhood but their favorite team (Jets) has been consistanly heartbreakingly disappointing for their entire life and it's hard to get back into it because of sports-related PTSD? Also, they live in a Patriots hotbed?

It's not me, its um, ilovebreadsooomuch, yeah that poster.

I'm not sure what the question is?
You'd be welcome there.
In real life?

Well, I can tell you this, I live literally in Green Bay, one of the most die-hard fandoms of any football team in the country, and I worked with a guy who only repped the Dolphins. And everybody loved him.
Course, Packer fans and Pats fans are...slightly differently tempered.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Beef City posted:

the hell is today a 'US holiday' for? I'm in the US and I don't know about no drat holiday

we get NYE and NYD and it fell on a Saturday. but only the employees in the US for some reason, :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Big Beef City posted:

As I was typing this there was a news bumper on the radio that literally called today "The first workday of the new year"

because New Years fell on a weekend, some businesses (banks) closed on Friday, others are closed today. I have two friends who are off today and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that