Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Togashi releases the 1000 chapter Ikalgo spinoff he's been working on all at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'd read it, Ikalgo is the greatest hero of them all

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dareon posted:

excuse me but it was clearly about an octopus wanting to be a squid so badly that he befriended literally everyone

I thought the arc was about how being a chain smoker makes you one of the strongest people around?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Sorry the best part of the CA arc will always be Knuckle infodumping about his power and overheating Gon’s brain

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Thats true, the power of being a Big cheefer was also impressive enough to get up to three Star hunter

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Reiche posted:

Sorry the best part of the CA arc will always be Knuckle infodumping about his power and overheating Gon’s brain

gently caress me that went on for, what, six whole minutes? :words:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When your power depends on outlasting the opponent, getting them to sit still for a while is a great side hustle. And Gon's a polite kid, he's generally not gonna interrupt someone's monologue... yet.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Parrotine posted:

gently caress me that went on for, what, six whole minutes? :words:

That’s a lot of interest, Knuckle really knows how to make bank

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

nen is so cool

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My favorite part of HxH is when the narrator talks about how Shoot realized his signature move and overcame his cowardice.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Tosk posted:

I tend to prefer YYH as Togashi's magnum opus (not least because it was at least finished), but I think the Chimera Ant arc and its resolution probably end up being one of, if not the, strongest shonen arcs of all time.

I also think it's an incredible example of manga as a serial art form - you can practically see Togashi go insane and somehow take the scale up to 11/10 and turn the whole thing into some kind of commentary on evolution and human nature. The fact he ends it with a loving nuke is just pure batshit Nippon in its maximum glory and I loved it. The fight between Netero and Mereum is also incredible.

Remember, it was a biological warfare thing as well. Which makes it more hosed up than just a straight nuke.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
A biological warfare thing inspired by old, out-of-date superstitions about how radiation poisoning worked. A lot of people believed that you retained the radiation you were hit with and were, basically, contagious. It lead to the ostracization of thousands. I'm sure Togashi doesn't actually believe that's how it works and it's more that it's based on that old idea, but yeah.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://twitter.com/sugoilite/status/1446138086589493259?s=21
Reminder that Hisoka has participated in the plot more than Leorio so he might as well be a main character as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

https://twitter.com/sugoilite/status/1446138086589493259?s=21
Reminder that Hisoka has participated in the plot more than Leorio so he might as well be a main character as well.

I always thought Hisoka was a main character.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Is this special illustration even from Togashi or is it someone who worked on the show?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

Is this special illustration even from Togashi or is it someone who worked on the show?

Looks like anime art, since Togashi's art moved on since then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Making a claim that Togashi's art has moved in 10 years is very optimistic.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I was hoping this would be signs of life but if it's not from the man himself then it's not much more significant than fanart.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

"Anniversary" is a pretty loose term as far as HxH is concerned

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

alkanphel posted:

:rip: Togashi's art

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I always thought Hisoka was a main character.

he totally is

especially when you consider that this is a manga where the full on lead protagonists sit out entire arcs

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hisoka is almost sorta kinda maybe a '''''hero''''' in Yorknew, dodgeball, the Chrollo fight and ensuing Spider hunt, if you squint really hard

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Anti-hero, maybe. Does heroic things for villainous reasons.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I guess some of the English manga volumes are hard to find these days? I bought a new complete set 7 months ago for $450, and it just sold in an ebay auction for $630. I was expecting to lose money on this, not make a profit.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

bees x1000 posted:

I guess some of the English manga volumes are hard to find these days? I bought a new complete set 7 months ago for $450, and it just sold in an ebay auction for $630. I was expecting to lose money on this, not make a profit.

As someone who runs a store that sells manga, they're pretty much on perpetual backorder. It takes months to get anything in, if it ever comes in. It was bad before the paper shortage/supply chain stuff, it's been next to impossible since. Printers can't keep up with demand for new series like Chainsaw Man or Jujutsu Kaisen, I don't think many of them are in a hurry to print older volumes of HxH.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I wanted to read the series proper after only watching the anime and hardly any of the volumes are readily available. Which is a shame as a virtually anime-only guy, there’s some series that elevate their original work but Togashi has a singular, almost surreal style that can’t easily be emulated with animation, and that’s just my perspective from the first four volumes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Maybe it's because it's been three years. But I was re-reading the last chunk of this manga series and these pages felt eerily similar to a certain fight between a clown and a bookworm.

Series is 'Battle in 5 seconds after meeting'. You can find it on most aggregate sites and an official TL is available on Comic Key.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I always think there is news of revival when a post is made here.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

just pretend Togashi died in real life. his return to making manga is about as likely as the second coming anyways

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
HxH collab is returning to Puzzle and Dragons.

Clearly this means the manga is coming off hiatus.

https://twitter.com/numanuma259/status/1492889993983193089?s=21

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gungi is being made into a real board game.
https://youtu.be/jpcn6gR5Pyk

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Paper Lion posted:

just pretend Togashi died in real life. his return to making manga is about as likely as the second coming anyways

The man is rich as gently caress and has a lowtaxian level of back problems.

I dont begrudge him for stopping. But closure or handing his story outline to a Murataesque art machine and letting them wrap it up would be nice.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm curious to what extent Togashi fleshed out Gungi's rules, and how much he's involved here.

and yes,

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Clearly this means the manga is coming off hiatus.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should put the link to the page. https://store.universal-music.co.jp/s/hunter-gungi/

I hope someone translates the rules so I can try it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if the rules have been developed by the man himself. Clearly he loves creating systems and rules.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if the rules have been developed by the man himself. Clearly he loves creating systems and rules.

We might have found the reason for to the hiatus.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Will the rules match up with the game states and strategies Komugi and Meruem played is my biggest question

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
in all my years of headcanon. I never considered the idea of capturing an entire stack of pieces if their altitude matches the opposing unit and all of them are the same color. Also interested in what the rules will look like.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
https://twitter.com/shirakami_amaki/status/1493861476964130816?s=21
Are you alright? Please listen to me carefully and don’t panic. You’ve been in a coma for four years… and Hunter X Hunter still hasn’t restarted yet.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last I checked the guy was in pretty bad shape health wise. At this rate it honestly might be better if he either formally cancelled the series or left the art to someone else (he could keep writing for it if he wanted).

Handing the reins over to his wife could be cool should she feel like tackling another manga.