Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I only went back and listened to 8-bit Book Club earlier this year, and having had Zone Rangers as a kid their inability to beat MCM was both hilarious and tragic.

Having this two shot be that book D&D-ified was absolutely amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

short rest just absurdly off the rails this week lmao

I just listened and absolutely wow.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I only went back and listened to 8-bit Book Club earlier this year, and having had Zone Rangers as a kid their inability to beat MCM was both hilarious and tragic.

Having this two shot be that book D&D-ified was absolutely amazing

Honestly a lot of 8bb was them D&D-ifying adventure books, so i'm glad they're throwing caution to the wind and leaning into it. Haven't listened to the ep yet, just finished the Eldermourne finale, but I can't think of a better party than the Trinyvale crew to do it. Maybe if they got Zac and/or Lou in there, it'd be perfect

I liked Eldermourne on the whole, though I have to say that at some point my brain stopped tracking information about exactly what was happening in the universe, who all the characters were (a surplus of familiars made this especially challenging, i hope they rein that in for campaign 3), and why they were doing what they were doing. I think I put the broad strokes together by the end but even missing all that fairly critical info about the story, it was a hoot to listen to, the goof > story ratio is still just about right.

I was avoiding the thread until I caught back up so I'd also like to say that I'd kill myself before I stopped believing that blasting grandma is real. I don't want to live in the world where that was a lie.

Also I can't remember: did Emily ever use her sticks to snakes spell? She was so pumped about it that I cannot imagine she'd miss an excuse to use it, but I'm realizing that I can't remember that either

one last note: long live bigby

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kidcoelacanth posted:

short rest just absurdly off the rails this week lmao

Jake: "It's not off the rails, it's on an entirely different set of rails."

lmao what the hell

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

good god this short rest

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

February for the new campaign

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
New campaign outline sounds amazing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao jake's extensive description of having a religious experience hugging a tree in central park

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

las faegas sounds so loving dope and i hope that makes it into the new campaign

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I eagerly await the nonstop ice puns from Jake's character, in the same vein as Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr Freeze.

Ice to meet you.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I do like the idea of a giant and two tiny people that he can toss into hard to get places.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Abongination posted:

New campaign outline sounds amazing

What is it, for those of us who have fallen behind?

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

tsob posted:

What is it, for those of us who have fallen behind?

Spoilered in case anyone wants to be surprised: Bahumia 2-300 years after Thiala's cataclysm

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neorxenawang posted:

Spoilered in case anyone wants to be surprised: Bahumia 2-300 years after Thiala's cataclysm

Oooh, fun. I'll have to catch up at some point. When's it starting? I wonder what classes they'll all play. I really hope Jake leans further into spell casting someday. I don't know that I've any particular wish for Emily or Caldwell (or Murph's not a player player character for that matter); maybe for Emily to play a strictly martial class? I'm pretty sure she has at some point though, and I just can't think of when off hand. She probably did in one of the D20 campaigns, at least.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

Oooh, fun. I'll have to catch up at some point. When's it starting? I wonder what classes they'll all play. I really hope Jake leans further into spell casting someday. I don't know that I've any particular wish for Emily or Caldwell (or Murph's not a player player character for that matter); maybe for Emily to play a strictly martial class? I'm pretty sure she has at some point though, and I just can't think of when off hand. She probably did in one of the D20 campaigns, at least.

They actually talk a little bit about all of this in the Campaign 3 announcement episode from last week (and maybe elsewhere? As they were saying things it all sounded like stuff they've batted around a bit previously but don't ask me when or where)

New campaign starts early Feb I think is what they said; DnD Courts and Hearthside Chats and stuff until then.

Re: PCs, I should mention I haven't listened to the Short Rest Campaign 3 Reactions episode yet (waiting until Thursday) so they might say even more than I can share below:

Emily did play a monk in Unsleeping City, and possibly even in Crown of Candy too? For this campaign, she thought about doing a martial class but Murph talked her out of it because using spells in fun ways is part of what makes NADDPOD so great. She also talked about wanting to do a Bourne Identity-type thing where Murph has her character sheet and she doesn't at first, but he said no to that too because then she wouldn't be available to help with the worldbuilding as much via her backstory like she did with The Crick in Campaign 1
EDIT: I don't think she's mentioned a class, but she has mentioned a race: an Aladrin elf from the Faewilds, possibly a Dragon Elf (descendants of crick elves and high elves)
Jake will probably be an Eldritch Knight with an emphasis on freezing spells. He's looking to be a goliath from the Frostwind area
Caldwell has been inspired by characters like Red XIII and Gau who are bestial in some way and might do Path of the Beast barbarian who can shapeshift

timp fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 3, 2022

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

emily's grinch sidebar on the short rest this week is completely unhinged

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

emily's grinch sidebar on the short rest this week is completely unhinged

she's right though, it's just impossible to explain it to someone who doesn't know what you're talking about without sounding like a lunatic

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok, I'm checking out the kevin costner episode of 3 black halflings after naddpod plugged it and i'm still in the character creation/setup episode, and it is already up there with the funniest stuff naddpod has ever done

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

VaultAggie posted:

I wasn’t a big fan of the latest episode. It seems like they’re rapidly accelerating to the finale, and instead of gradually revealing a lot of these plot twists and revelations, they were just thrown out in a big plot-dump. Instead of telling us Irina and Moxora are sisters, show that. Instead of telling us they the gods dipped out, show us. It also seemed convenient that Zirk managed to find the formula he had been looking for in a random book.

I'm finally catching up on the Eldermourne episodes, up to 39's Short Rest now, and while I'm still generally enjoying it, I do share this sentiment to some degree. It does feel like the cast were just settling in to some plots beats when they suddenly decided to just ramp things up to a finale, and I wonder if Murph just doesn't like trying to DM a high level group and wants to wrap things up before they get too high level? He's expressed frustration with it before, and I've no idea what it's like from his side since I've never played D'n'D, never mind DM'd, but there's not any other likely explanations jumping to mind. That doesn't mean there isn't one, but it's not obvious if there is.

I think Henry's past is the thing that disappointed me most, because it wasn't actually all that tragic or even particularly ill luck. He was just a mildly unpopular middle manager who made one cowardly decision, and then died. I didn't even like how it was described honestly, since Murph's description was something like "Hank watches as the crew prepares to throw her overboard, then in a moment of courage steps forward but pauses for a moment and it's too late", and the two conflicting "for a moment" bits just felt a bit sloppy. Mostly I just didn't enjoy his backstory on it's face though, because I had imagined it as him being a really down on his luck guy who'd constantly tripped through bad scenarios or something, who'd earned the title "Ill Luck Henry".

Oh well, can't win 'em all. Murph has still made some really great backstories and scenarios, and I'm sure future ones will work better for me. The latest episode was hilarious, if nothing else, just for how badly the dice hosed the entire crew when trying to fight the Summer Fairy alongside Cain. I'm enjoying Murph's turn as Philip more than Bookvar too. Bookvar was fun just to see what kind of silliness they would improvise for him next, but Philip's older brother "gently caress you for making me have emotions" stuff is more engaging to listen to ultimately. Oh, and I'm glad he didn't make Braydn Kenly a major antagonist. I kind of liked that the spooky vampire brooding in his castle just turned out to be a decent guy who wanted to help. The latest episode did make him kind of a dick, but it's nice that for once the vampire wasn't a major villain and was just kind of a dick.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 31, 2022

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murph's talked a bit about why they chose to end Eldermourne when they did (I'm thinking in particular of him guesting on Three Black Halflings) and it was broadly that once they made the story about finding Irina, there was a limit to how long he felt like he could drag that out without it just becoming frustrating.

They've all said they want to do more Eldermourne stuff in the future, too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

docbeard posted:

Murph's talked a bit about why they chose to end Eldermourne when they did (I'm thinking in particular of him guesting on Three Black Halflings) and it was broadly that once they made the story about finding Irina, there was a limit to how long he felt like he could drag that out without it just becoming frustrating.

They've all said they want to do more Eldermourne stuff in the future, too.

There's always live shows, they do Trinyvale and Bahumia both at those so putting Eldermourne in the mix would be fun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope future trinyvale live shows live up to the energy of the first one; it seems like a perfect fit for it, trinyvale was always the goofy chaos campaign, which is the appropriate energy for a live show anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Man, I'm listening to the episode 40 (penultimate episode) Short Rest now, and Murph's joy at getting to whomp the crew as they pelt him with poo poo for doing so is amazing. He's so happy to finally succeed in pulling the wool over their eyes in a big, big way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Whatever disappointments I had with the build up, the finale was definitely a banger and Murph deserves a lot of respect for keeping that many balls in the air at once with multiple parties fighting at once in parallel. I had completely forgot about the Hexbloods, so when Murph cut away to talk about another fight I was expecting the Endo Frendos initially (which he indicated was the original plan during the Short Rest) and then as soon as he began describing the grove I was going "Wait...is Lou going to be a guest?". Yes he was. And what guest. His foley work as the various living spells was incredible, as was Jake's disgust at Caldwell voicing Lake.

That said, Murph talked about how he loved the chat's reaction to realizing the Hexbloods were coming in the Short Rest, and I'm wondering if the finale was recorded to anywhere cause it'd be cool to watch it now if it was.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

They're doing a live listen with their discord at 6 PST( I think, it changes based on time zone I believe ) so the new campaign should be out some time today. They have some crazy characters.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know If I want to jump in or let them get at least one arc done first

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The thread title is in desperate need of an update so everyone keep an ear out for a good one while listening to the campaign 3 premiere!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

timp posted:

The thread title is in desperate need of an update so everyone keep an ear out for a good one while listening to the campaign 3 premiere!

on the contrary; the longer we go without changing the thread title, the funnier it gets

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I honestly hadn't even noticed the thread title until it was pointed out. I'm not sure if that says more about the joke, or me .

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this campaign is off to a hell of a start

i've had two big laughs already "that's the kkk i think" and "my therapist, jessica, kind of fuckin hate her"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao jake making an even bigger guy than ever before

Feb 2, 2005
All the characters already knowing each other is such a good move. Quick chemistry. A promising start!

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Murph making Callie's roommate sound like Macho Man Randy Savage was a bold choice, but I think a good one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh God I hate Emily's accent so much

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gaius Marius posted:

There's your new thread title right there. It applies to every campaign!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope jake is prepared to keep that voice up for the entire campaign, I feel like that's gonna murder his throat

Strong start so far! I had no worries about the quality of this campaign going into it, and i still don't

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's got big Paul Blart energy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

:ducksiren::ducksiren:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Gaius Marius posted:

You must hate British accents, then, because she used every single one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
new crew is very promising. also a real slick intro and pacing job on murphs part, that first fight was great