Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't have credit cards because I don't have credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What about cards?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Debit or credit? Yugioh or Magic?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Debit or credit? Yugioh or Magic?

Turun Linna.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Get a digital clock, it's 2022.

A digital clock is far more likely to have AM/PM marked on it than an analogue one though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A digital clock is far more likely to have AM/PM marked on it than an analogue one though.

Just read the loving manual and it won't.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I forgot to include those baby corn things. Out of all the foods in the world aside from like actually rotten stuff, those small corns repulse me the most.

the baby sweetcorn? yeah. it doesn't even taste good or like sweetcorn, i dont see the point

Pickles aren't that gag-inducing, but I dislike them because anything with pickles on it just tastes like pickles. Olives I just am not a fan of the flavor, but to be totally honest my only exposure to them is on not-great pizza and at a chain italian restaurant (I forget if it was olive garden or carrabbas) so they probably came out of a can.

Yeah that's why I said go with cornichons. They taste kind of like big pickles but the flavour is more nuanced and less acidic and they dont overwhelm the rest of the fish

Jarred olives are okay but it's like, I wouldn't really eat them raw. They're best when they've been exposed to the pan and given a little time, then mixed in with beef imo. Also green olives and black olives taste totally different fwiw. I prefer green olives a little better but they can be too salty for some people

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

also 24 hour time is nice on paper, but it never sounds natural to me to say "hey meet me at 22"

Who says that? "22:00" is pronounced "ten o'clock".

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I usually hear it as ‘twenty-two hundred’ or ‘twenty-two thirteen’ or the like.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kymmenelt or kakskaks, no-one uses English aside from that one dude from Kansas.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A time system used by charger-financing jarhead kids and europeans, that sounds about right

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'd bet that the renunciation of German identity in America during WW1 contributed to 20th and 21st century racism in a way that people don't think about. You had millions of people who thought of themselves as Germans and then almost overnight switched to thinking of themselves as "white". And whiteness is an absence of identity, it only exists in opposition to other races.

I don't know what the actual observable effects of that change were, it's not like there's a big racism meter that went up. But I bet it had some effects.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

doverhog posted:

Millasia kulutusluottoja Jerryllä on? Sorry, I had to poke at the 3d doodoo.

PHUO: Finnish sounds pretty.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

I'd bet that the renunciation of German identity in America during WW1 contributed to 20th and 21st century racism in a way that people don't think about. You had millions of people who thought of themselves as Germans and then almost overnight switched to thinking of themselves as "white". And whiteness is an absence of identity, it only exists in opposition to other races.

I don't know what the actual observable effects of that change were, it's not like there's a big racism meter that went up. But I bet it had some effects.

I am sorry I wish I could find the name of the book but unfortunately I can’t, but the text we used in my “History of Ethnicity” class covered the Germans coming to be considered white. It was more of a gradual process but once complete hard to picture it otherwise.

One could argue that the concept of whiteness only exists to perpetuate racism so yeah definitely you are on the right track.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

I know this isn't what you're saying but I did have a chuckle at the idea that "the only reason we're so racist is because of all the goddamn krauts"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm not German, I'm white!

Not quite sold on that claim, especially given massive racism everywhere else in the world that wouldn't be socially affected by events in America. In fact now that I think about it I'm told Germans did some kinda racist stuff around that time

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gripweed posted:

And whiteness is an absence of identity, it only exists in opposition to other races.

This reminds me a lot of how some people say that people who speak in Standard American English don't have an accent.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/porchrates/status/1477716123286224897?t=KVTuHTY3KCzULFHR6DlMhg&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the movie Pig sucked rear end

it was fine. Got your blood boiling i bet

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Phones, apps, websites, search engines should never change visible selectable items (including associated layout) unless you specifically click an "update" button.

Quick search has uncovered no fun videos about this prolific, terrible UI decision that plagues the world. We click in the right place... 5ns after the item we want has moved. When devices or browsers lag it's even worse, sometimes as much as two seconds before it registers selection on what is now the wrong item. This includes apps reordering "top contacts", most recent sms received, search engines updating recommendations while you're selecting, web sites that throw up junk at the top of the page middle of the page bottom of the page.

Anyone have any good UI websites or videos that complain about this? :argh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Phones, apps, websites, search engines should never change visible selectable items (including associated layout) unless you specifically click an "update" button.

Quick search has uncovered no fun videos about this prolific, terrible UI decision that plagues the world. We click in the right place... 5ns after the item we want has moved. When devices or browsers lag it's even worse, sometimes as much as two seconds before it registers selection on what is now the wrong item. This includes apps reordering "top contacts", most recent sms received, search engines updating recommendations while you're selecting, web sites that throw up junk at the top of the page middle of the page bottom of the page.

Anyone have any good UI websites or videos that complain about this? :argh:

There were some great jokes about it after the Hawaii false alarm a few years ago.

More: https://imgur.com/gallery/YU6EA

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you use strength on that truck mew comes out

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I grew up in a tiny Ohio town, and on the outskirts there was a building that advertised itself as "German American Club: Home of the Arion Singing Society" and I'm pretty sure this proves your theory.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

This reminds me a lot of how some people say that people who speak in Standard American English don't have an accent.

Both are true though.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Powered Descent posted:

There were some great jokes about it after the Hawaii false alarm a few years ago.

Very nice. I've only seen one of those. :11tea:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

silence_kit posted:

I've been told we're not supposed to just say "normal" these days.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Powered Descent posted:

The frantic cursor moving is my favorite bit

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Who says that? "22:00" is pronounced "ten o'clock".

but how do you know if they meant am or pm? Haven't you seen dumb and dumber? if you just put the PM on it it avoids confusion like that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s dumb but I hate seeing player characters named after anime characters in FFXIV. At least try to be original! And my character is named “Buff Garfield” so my bar is extremely low.

The people who name themselves after Fairy Tail characters are the most embarrassing because that’s a low tier shonen at best

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s dumb but I hate seeing player characters named after anime characters in FFXIV. At least try to be original! And my character is named “Buff Garfield” so my bar is extremely low.

The people who name themselves after Fairy Tail characters are the most embarrassing because that’s a low tier shonen at best

And yet you recognize the characters names.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

And yet you recognize the characters names.

It’s not that I’m embarrassed that they’re weebs, it’s that they’re unoriginal weebs. Very different. I’d be just as embarrassed if they named themselves Legolas Elf or Aragorn Strider

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s not that I’m embarrassed that they’re weebs, it’s that they’re unoriginal weebs. Very different. I’d be just as embarrassed if they named themselves Legolas Elf or Aragorn Strider

Even if it was a Lalafell?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

thetoughestbean posted:

You will rue the day you chose to insult Naruto O'Sullivan

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

but how do you know if they meant am or pm? Haven't you seen dumb and dumber? if you just put the PM on it it avoids confusion like that.

I can't tell you how many times I've told colleagues we are going to blow off some steam after work, meet up at a bar and meet some strange at 10 only for them to not show up after I put in a hard 30 at work. Then, when I'm asleep (LIKE A REAL PROFESSIONAL) they blow up my phone because I'm not at the bar at some weird hour.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Imo edgy hot takes are tired and played out. From now on its all going to be smooth cold takes for me.

Takes like a silent night in the arctic wilderness.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I want to hear an example of this cold take.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

doverhog posted:

I want to hear an example of this cold take.

You ever have a dead fish handshake? Remember the way it made you feel.

That's a cold take.

It's real and it is sad. I was hanging out with another parent from daycare. She's a Christian Korean American who was married to a white guy in tech and they are divorcing. Our kids are in daycare together. She was pretty cool but there was, like, no real good way for us to connect. Other than laughing at a homeless person singing nickleback which was a nice moment of levity.

A cold take is when you both know you are toxic so all you do is offer the most milk toast version of yourself possible so as not to offend. It doesn't offend, but it doesn't create engagement either. Going the other way and creating engagement for engagement's sake is bad too. It's a real "unwobbling pivot" kinda thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Milquetoast

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Congrats on typing more than you talk.

You win the internet for today, 12 points of gwyffendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
In Finland cold takes are mostly just silence and keeping your distance. Doesn't translate well to written speech.

Have to admit tho, I am pretty cold, using these metrics.