Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Ichabod Tane posted:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again

Dark Souls MMO

Anything Hidetaka Miyazaki does will be incredible so yeah for sure, I hope somehow he does make an MMO because it would be absurdly fun. The Souls games would easily slide into MMO genre the way they function now anyway.

Maybe someone will throw a crazy amount of money at him to create an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Truga posted:

the pve content in bdo is lacking, but the reasons why are in its grindiness. you want to grind content you can clown on, so your number goes up quicker because it takes months to grind for anything. i played shai, which can actually grind poo poo most other classes can't and that was p. fun, but slow as hell lol

also it's somehow a no-instance mmo that's only playable solo lmbo. can't even trade with your friends, everything goes through the shop

i heard they added some actual multiplayer areas for grinding but i can't play anymore since i deleted windows

You’re 100% and also lmbo at an mmo essentially being a lovely single player experience

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

in seriousness I don't see how you can look at the lag that already exists in the small scale host/spirits multiplayer of the series and believe the combat will scale fluidly to a massive number of players. New World was an attempt and it crashed and burned pretty spectacularly because they relied too much on trusting the client among other issues.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

knox posted:

Anything Hidetaka Miyazaki does will be incredible so yeah for sure, I hope somehow he does make an MMO because it would be absurdly fun. The Souls games would easily slide into MMO genre the way they function now anyway.

Maybe someone will throw a crazy amount of money at him to create an MMO.

It doesn’t even have to be the grandmaster. Someone could copy cat the game wholesale and it would sell

Also get rid of life skills / trade skills cause lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

CYBEReris posted:

in seriousness I don't see how you can look at the lag that already exists in the small scale host/spirits multiplayer of the series and believe the combat will scale fluidly to a massive number of players. New World was an attempt and it crashed and burned pretty spectacularly because they relied too much on trusting the client among other issues.

We have the technology, it can be done - and people will forgive lag and gently caress ups in favor of dece gameplay

I wouldn’t look at dark souls as the example of good multiplayer. It’s got excellent mechanics + controls

knox
Oct 28, 2004

CYBEReris posted:

Ichabod Tane posted:

We have the technology, it can be done - and people will forgive lag and gently caress ups in favor of dece gameplay

I wouldn’t look at dark souls as the example of good multiplayer. It’s got excellent mechanics + controls

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Hell yeah. If dragons dogma online can do real-time combat well there isn’t any technological reason that the dark souls equivalent couldn’t either

I think people are absolutely tired of hotbar combat, and hand holding theme park mmo. Not to say that it should be open world full gank pvp poo poo because that’s what killed UO and continues to death knell every dumbass full pvp mmo out there

Pvp needs to exist in a tight context and to give reason or flavor. Opting into pvp for greater rewards and challenge is fun.

Imagine doing some sort of dungeon or quest and at the beginning of it - agreeing to the possibility of pvp. It only occurs if you agree to it but the ceiling of the quality of the loot possible is increased by it.

Cribbing off of dark souls some more —- give pvp limitations. If you’ve fended off a pvp encounter then you’re safe for xyz amount of time

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ichabod Tane posted:

Imagine doing some sort of dungeon or quest and at the beginning of it - agreeing to the possibility of pvp. It only occurs if you agree to it but the ceiling of the quality of the loot possible is increased by it.

Can’t have BETTER loot, but a little bit more of it would maybe work. Terminal MMO brains like myself would just force ourselves to do the PVP version and hate it because anything but the best loot is garbage swill for casuals.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Doom Rooster posted:

Can’t have BETTER loot, but a little bit more of it would maybe work. Terminal MMO brains like myself would just force ourselves to do the PVP version and hate it because anything but the best loot is garbage swill for casuals.

Lol or just lateral, sidegrade loot but unique and different from the PvE counterpart lmao that would definitely harm the terminal mmo brains.

But yeah, it’s right there but people out here making the SAME poo poo and then crash and burning.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
dark souls mmo with tab targeting

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kaysette posted:

this is what true dark souls gamers who played all three with KB+M (re: me) were already doing

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaysette posted:

I mean that's kinda redundant though I'm a weirdo and never locked on.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Kaysette posted:

Your star should not protect you from such slander

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

:negative:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I always wondered how healing, buffing, and AOE would work in a traditional MMO with Dark Souls combat. Would the healer need to reposition in front of the boss to cast heals on the main tank?

The Souls series is great when it's just you and a buddy walking through a creepy swamp slaying enemies. Whenever I think of a 5 man dungeon with mechanics, movement, and support skills being added, I just think it would be awful. Like, there's a reason tab/target+hotbar makes so much sense.

New World dungeons just felt...I don't know, not fun?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im the guy spamming the channelers trident dance the whole dungeon

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dark Souls combat falls apart with more than, like, 2 people anyway, I don't see how it would work in a MMO setting.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Hellioning posted:

Dark Souls combat falls apart with more than, like, 2 people anyway, I don't see how it would work in a MMO setting.

Nah, the cluster fucks are the best part my dude. In DS3 that forest where you find the cowardly knight armor that has a pants full of poo poo is a PVP fuckfest and it's p fun.

I think what I miss about MMOs are builds myself + 3 friends made our dark souls guys look like 300 spartans with round shields and pikes but otherwise naked and it was a ton of fun.

If we could scale up that sort of fun

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

revive the dragon's dogma MMO and give it to us filthy westerners. I had a great time playing Dragons Dogma Online, even if I had to use google translate on my phone by taking pictures of the text on my screen to find out what my abilities did lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’m bummed I missed that, looked like :effort: but I’ve heard great things.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gex online is too beautiful of a concept to ever exist in reality

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I still find it hilarious that most of the ad blurb is 'We have this comedian and he makes celebrity impressions and one-liners please buy our game'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orange DeviI posted:

Too bad about the pedo aesthetic of the new class
idk it just looks like an anime girl in a skirt.

it seems mostly aimed at girls who are into cutesy stuff tbh? characters like this are popular with women in, like, league of legends or w/e

also loling at the clipping on the brush and cape in the glamor shot there

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If I learned anything from the New World thread, that's not adequate zettai ryouiki.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I’m always amazed there are no good FPS MMOs. All of the ones I’ve tried over the years have tanked. We know it’s possible to have at least a hundred-ish people in the same virtual space (see BF games), but for some reason this seems to be the Forbidden Path in MMo land.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t think planetside 2 qualifies but that was a pretty fun game.

I assume it’s still going, but at this point I’d be concerned everyone else has really good guns and I would have not good guns.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The first Planetside was better imo but they still didn't do it quite right. It is bizarre nobody's done it right or even tried it really outside those two though I agree.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I imagine it's just easier to make something like Destiny than to make a true shooter-MMO. Games like Destiny and The Division capture at least some of what a modern shooter-MMO would be while likely being cheaper and easier to develop because they don't need big MMO zones or actual massive multiplayer. And even then, the majority of those looter-shooter games crash and burn on arrival just like new MMOs seem to.

I think a real MMOFPS would be pretty exciting, though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Endorph posted:

idk it just looks like an anime girl in a skirt.

it seems mostly aimed at girls who are into cutesy stuff tbh? characters like this are popular with women in, like, league of legends or w/e

also loling at the clipping on the brush and cape in the glamor shot there

Lmao yeah that’s aimed for girls, sure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ichabod Tane posted:

Men exclusively play gigantic muscly men in online video games, duh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ichabod Tane posted:

jokes posted:

Men exclusively play gigantic muscly men in online video games, duh.
Yeah, a lot of girls love stuff like that? Obviously there's dudes who are into it in weird ways but lots of cute girl anime have huge female fanbases. It's not really sexualized or anything. ff14's korean playerbase is like 70/30 female/male, lost ark is a korean game, it legit feels to me like they're trying to have a cutesier character in there to try and get more women in. the thing about the cute anime girl league champs wasn't made up, they are the most popular characters with women.

obviously there's women that aren't into that kinda thing but there's a lot who are, especially in korea/japan/china/etc.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 4, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No see she has exposed legs and we cannot allow this.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Harrow posted:

I imagine it's just easier to make something like Destiny than to make a true shooter-MMO. Games like Destiny and The Division capture at least some of what a modern shooter-MMO would be while likely being cheaper and easier to develop because they don't need big MMO zones or actual massive multiplayer. And even then, the majority of those looter-shooter games crash and burn on arrival just like new MMOs seem to.

Shooters are "Technically" Hard, bullet physics is not easy to get right at all for a whole list of reasons. Do bullets drop, are they hitscan, do people die in a few hits, few headshots, or a lot of hits. You can have hyper realistic, which makes the game do a LOT more calculations, or cartoony like a wow Hunter with tab targeting or anything between the two.

Toss a server in the middle on a game that needs sub .15 sec ping and running a small battleground of 100 people is about the limit of todays tech with out solving even harder problems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Defiance sure was a video game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kirbysuperstar posted:

I spent some amount of time playing said video game. I think. It's entirely unmemorable.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Harrow posted:

Isn't something like that what the tarkov guys are trying to end up with? I'm pretty sure there was a mention of openworld somewhere.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

I spent some amount of time playing said video game. I think. It's entirely unmemorable.

I remember the TV show being okay, as far as popcorn sci-fi goes. The only thing I remember about the game was that it had public events and that's mostly the only thing I did.

Oh and they tried to reboot it as a F2P thing but stripped most of the content out and never added it back before Gamingo swooped in and salted the earth.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bounced off the open beta pretty hard. Just was bland as hell. I liked the TV show alot though for some reason. It was fun.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I still have my FireFall beanie, that came with buying the ultra deluxe edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

My Gimmick Name posted:

I still have my FireFall beanie, that came with buying the ultra deluxe edition.

drat lol. I know a friend of mine bought the big special edition for Hellgate.