Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I just got this killer smg:

I really love the aesthetic of the 10 mm weapons it’s hard to explain but I just want to use nothing but this gun. I tried to make handmade work and the assault rifle is fine but there’s something about the damage output on this thing that I love so far. Not to mention it’s unique to run a 10mm smg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I like the 10mm SMGs but it has 2 big problems.

It eats a ton of AP in VATS so you really should be playing low health with Unyielding armor to combat this.

However, it lacks a suppressor so you won't play stealthy and be shot at a lot. So you either slot in Ricochet and Serendipity to not be too squishy or you go full health and use Better Criticals and Crit Savvy. Full health, however, means a lot less AP for VATS.

In short, 10mm SMGs are really great for mid range crowd control but they are no daily drivers unless you find one with the perfect rolls.

A god tier combo would be any of the good prefixes with 50% VATS Hit Chance and 25% Less VATS AP Cost.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Bring Back the legacies

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
just baffling there's no suppressor for the SMG, it'd be completely OK as a sneak attack weapon with a suppressor.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
A Suppressor on the SMG would turn this into a decent stealth weapon at close range. It has a higher ROF than Fixer or Handmade but it lacks in accuracy. I really don't see why this mod is missing from it. Bethesda not caring would be my guess.

Same with a Belt Feeder for the LMG. It's a weapon one should use in PA, there is no reason to not give it one. It being a ROF beast is no real reason anymore since the LMG can drop as loving Quad and pumping 300 rounds into the Queen is hilarious as hell.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
That DO was a close one. Died once to the Toxin cause I forgot to slot in Funky Duds. :v:

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
DOs have been really buggy for me the past few days

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

pokchu posted:

DOs have been really buggy for me the past few days

The only one that's consistently rear end for me is the Watoga Arena thanks to enemies spawning in the loving walls. Nades fix that issue but it's still annoying.

Edit: I like how DOs change over the day. It was Toxic/Freezing at reset, now I had Volatile.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 3, 2022

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I could use some build advice, please :shobon:

So I'm trying to emulate this unarmed melee build from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbFyT1gllI

I pulled all the relevant info into a build planner:
https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/...uMJ5QnnCeQJAAA=

Thanks to some ridiculous double exp weekend farming with a good friend, I shot up to level 120, so I actually have access to all the normal perks but fewer legendary perk cards.

The only mutations I have that are relevant are Adrenal Reaction, Egghead, and Marsupial. I have Empath too but that was random before I got starched genes.

So my questions are:
- He uses way more perk cards for Luck than I can use in game, so I'm kinda wondering how this actually works? Original SPECIAL values are: S-15, P-1, E-7, C-7, I-1, A-15, L-10
- Does this build seem like a good choice to start focusing on?
- How can I adapt this build into a working/interim build to suit my lower levels? Like what legendary perk should I take, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

eggrolled posted:

I could use some build advice, please :shobon:

So I'm trying to emulate this unarmed melee build from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbFyT1gllI

I pulled all the relevant info into a build planner:
https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/...uMJ5QnnCeQJAAA=

Thanks to some ridiculous double exp weekend farming with a good friend, I shot up to level 120, so I actually have access to all the normal perks but fewer legendary perk cards.

The only mutations I have that are relevant are Adrenal Reaction, Egghead, and Marsupial. I have Empath too but that was random before I got starched genes.

So my questions are:
- He uses way more perk cards for Luck than I can use in game, so I'm kinda wondering how this actually works? Original SPECIAL values are: S-15, P-1, E-7, C-7, I-1, A-15, L-10
- Does this build seem like a good choice to start focusing on?
- How can I adapt this build into a working/interim build to suit my lower levels? Like what legendary perk should I take, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1) He uses more perk cards than you can use thanks to the Legendary Perks. Each * in the Legendary Specials gives 1 additional point to that Special. A fully maxed LP Special card grants a total of 5 additional points to that Special stat. In this case, he uses Legendary Luck, Rank 2. That's the 2 extra points you don't have.

2/3) Depends on what you want, really. I can help you with all of that but first I need to be boring and ask a couple of questions. :)

- Do you want to carry food and utility food buffs? Note that Melee builds benefit A LOT from food buffs.

- Do you want to play on a team or solo? Empath, a not very good support mutation, makes only sense on a team. Also, are those 4 mutations really all you have? I will most certainly recommend mutations but if you don't have access to them it's no big deal. I have.

- The build in question is set up for low health. Are you comfortable with being at low health or would you prefer full health?

- Meele or Unarmed? All Gauntlets count as Unarmed weapons. All other non ballistic weapons are Melee. Unarmed and Melee need different perks but that's only 3 cards to swap in and out so no big deal.

- Melee does suffer in boss fights. The Queen flies around, she doesn't land just because you can't reach her. A shotgun to cripple her wings will make this a non issue but this also means that you will need a cripple perk. If you don't plan on soloing any of the bosses, this isn't that big of a deal.

- Ranged weapons, ammo and fusion cores. Yes or no? The answer to this decides your mutations. A full on Melee build can use guns but will not be great with them. A Melee build who also likes to shoot things will not be exceptional in Melee but will still murder most poo poo no questions asked. And can shoot.

- What kind of gear do you have access to? Weapon and armor.

I'll deal with the different builds tomorrow. ;)

Edit: Ported this to a build planner I actually prefer.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...lp=x62x81xa0x71

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Sensenmann posted:

1) He uses more perk cards than you can use thanks to the Legendary Perks. Each * in the Legendary Specials gives 1 additional point to that Special. A fully maxed LP Special card grants a total of 5 additional points to that Special stat. In this case, he uses Legendary Luck, Rank 2. That's the 2 extra points you don't have.

2/3) Depends on what you want, really. I can help you with all of that but first I need to be boring and ask a couple of questions. :)

- Do you want to carry food and utility food buffs? Note that Melee builds benefit A LOT from food buffs.

- Do you want to play on a team or solo? Empath, a not very good support mutation, makes only sense on a team. Also, are those 4 mutations really all you have? I will most certainly recommend mutations but if you don't have access to them it's no big deal. I have.

- The build in question is set up for low health. Are you comfortable with being at low health or would you prefer full health?

- Meele or Unarmed? All Gauntlets count as Unarmed weapons. All other non ballistic weapons are Melee. Unarmed and Melee need different perks but that's only 3 cards to swap in and out so no big deal.

- Melee does suffer in boss fights. The Queen flies around, she doesn't land just because you can't reach her. A shotgun to cripple her wings will make this a non issue but this also means that you will need a cripple perk. If you don't plan on soloing any of the bosses, this isn't that big of a deal.

- Ranged weapons, ammo and fusion cores. Yes or no? The answer to this decides your mutations. A full on Melee build can use guns but will not be great with them. A Melee build who also likes to shoot things will not be exceptional in Melee but will still murder most poo poo no questions asked. And can shoot.

- What kind of gear do you have access to? Weapon and armor.

I'll deal with the different builds tomorrow. ;)

Edit: Ported this to a build planner I actually prefer.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...lp=x62x81xa0x71

Hopefully I have answered these questions thoroughly enough, would be happy to elaborate on any of it, of course!

- I haven't put too much thought into food buffs, but I probably should. :shobon: As long as a food buff is easily sustainable then I think I'd be silly not to try and take advantage

- I play both on teams and solo, though most team play is one of the public casual teams where people are off doing their own thing. I do group up with friends too when they're around. The only time I play unteamed is on a 1st private server.

- Yes, those 4 mutations are the only ones I have at the moment :sweatdrop:

- Full health or low health doesn't bother me much. I've kinda gotten used to being low health with high rads, but honestly I'm fine either way, whatever works with the build tbh

- This particular build is Unarmed, and I've been getting by with a Bloodied Mole Miner Gauntlet (just 1 star). I'm not super heart-set on remaining unarmed if there's a valid case to go to 1 or 2-handed, I'm just using what I have available at the moment. Prior to this gauntlet I was using an instigating baseball bat

- I so far haven't done much boss soloing. mostly when I do a SBQ, it's with a populated group and I end up tagging with whatever ranged I have while trying to take some swings when she lands. I admittedly don't know much about the bosses in the game yet, so I apologize if that isn't a super specific answer.

- I actually switched to this unarmed build because I was having a hell of a time keeping up with ammo stores. So if there's a way for me to be melee but situationally shoot things when the need arises, but everything still results in murder--I'm happy. I don't need to necessarily need to 1-shot things, either. I use my power armor really sparingly because I was worried I'd run out of cores, lmao.

- My gear and armor access isn't all too impressive at the moment. It's pretty pauper-y tbh. I'm just rolling with the Bloodied Gauntlet and some shadowed armor pieces leftover from when I was originally trying stealth commando. My crafting ability is pretty limited still--despite my current level I haven't had the opportunity to do many quests or get plans yet. If it helps, my access to these things is basically akin to someone half my level (fresh 50 and some change).

I really, really appreciate the thorough response and assistance, thank you very much.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

eggrolled posted:

Hopefully I have answered these questions thoroughly enough, would be happy to elaborate on any of it, of course!

- I haven't put too much thought into food buffs, but I probably should. :shobon: As long as a food buff is easily sustainable then I think I'd be silly not to try and take advantage

- I play both on teams and solo, though most team play is one of the public casual teams where people are off doing their own thing. I do group up with friends too when they're around. The only time I play unteamed is on a 1st private server.

- Yes, those 4 mutations are the only ones I have at the moment :sweatdrop:

- Full health or low health doesn't bother me much. I've kinda gotten used to being low health with high rads, but honestly I'm fine either way, whatever works with the build tbh

- This particular build is Unarmed, and I've been getting by with a Bloodied Mole Miner Gauntlet (just 1 star). I'm not super heart-set on remaining unarmed if there's a valid case to go to 1 or 2-handed, I'm just using what I have available at the moment. Prior to this gauntlet I was using an instigating baseball bat

- I so far haven't done much boss soloing. mostly when I do a SBQ, it's with a populated group and I end up tagging with whatever ranged I have while trying to take some swings when she lands. I admittedly don't know much about the bosses in the game yet, so I apologize if that isn't a super specific answer.

- I actually switched to this unarmed build because I was having a hell of a time keeping up with ammo stores. So if there's a way for me to be melee but situationally shoot things when the need arises, but everything still results in murder--I'm happy. I don't need to necessarily need to 1-shot things, either. I use my power armor really sparingly because I was worried I'd run out of cores, lmao.

- My gear and armor access isn't all too impressive at the moment. It's pretty pauper-y tbh. I'm just rolling with the Bloodied Gauntlet and some shadowed armor pieces leftover from when I was originally trying stealth commando. My crafting ability is pretty limited still--despite my current level I haven't had the opportunity to do many quests or get plans yet. If it helps, my access to these things is basically akin to someone half my level (fresh 50 and some change).

I really, really appreciate the thorough response and assistance, thank you very much.

Perfect, let's start. ;)

Warning, this is going to be a bit long, so anyone not interested in Melee builds, feel free to TL;DR and skip it. :v:

- Food is easy to come by. A Melee build benefits from meat, so you want Carnivore as mutation. Just "harvest" the occasional Mutant Hound, cook the meat and you have Mutant Hound Chops. Easy +10% Melee damage buff. There are obviously way more buffs but this is easy and you'll literally stumble upon it.

- Get rid of Empath. It's ok if you roleplay as Ranged Medic but for a bloddied Melee build it's too risky, even with Class Freak. Which we won't use at all because our mutations are tailored for Melee only.

- No worries. People sell mutations. If you want, drop by my camp and I give you what you need. Same name as here.

- If tagging works for you there is no real reason to change anything. If you ever want to solo her or Earle you will need a shotgun and Enforcer as perk to cripple her wings to land or his feet/heads to stand still and stop sneezing on you.

- Your armor will be important later on. If you want to stay with Melee you need to get a set of Unyielding Thorn, Secret Service or Brotherhood Recon armor. That's seriously endgame, and in the case of Thorn armor absurdly endgame, so don't sweat it. At the start, anything Unyielding will do and you can slowly transition into the good stuff as you unlock more and more.
Important modifications are: Brawling for the Arms. Asbestos, Dense or Pneumatic for the Chest. Cushioned or Strengthened for the Legs.

You will also want a Backpack. There is a plan for a small version inside Morgantown airport but aim for the big ones and make sure you learn all the plans. You can only use one backpack mod but it can free up, or add, perk slots.

Legendary Armor modifiers to shoot for:

Unyielding. That's obvious because we're going Bloodied here.

Major: +1 Strength or AP Refresh. Each point in Strength increases your Melee damage by 5%. A full set would increase it by 25%, which is nothing short of cool. AP Refresh on all 5, on the other hand, means you'll most likely never run out of AP for more than a second or so.

Minor: Sentinel, Cavalier or Harder to Detect while Sneaking. Sentinel is a 75% Chance to reduce incoming damage by 15% if standing still. Cavalier is the same but while running. Acrobat is a good idea if you plan on utilizing a Jetpack and not die during the landing. So with Jetpack, 2 pieces with Acrobat, the rest any of the other 3. Without a Jetpack, a full set of Sentinel or Cavalier would increase your damage resist by 75%, that's seriously amazing. A full sneak set, if you decide to go Stealth Melee, would make you drat near invisible even during punching poo poo to death. The perks for a stealth build are included in the BP links.

For weapons, a 1* Bloodied MMG is a good start. The goal should be a Bloodied Power Fist, MMG or DCG. For Major you want 40% Increased Swing Speed, 40% Power Attack Damage or 25% Bonus Damage while Standing Still. The first is the best but any of those will do. As Minor, +1 Strength because more Melee Damage is always good.

Note that none of those will be cheap or easy to roll yourself. They are something to be happy about when you finally get one. ;)

For the builds:

1) Starter with Travelling Pharmacy. Deals enough damage, has medium survivability, has room for Stimpacks and chems. Mutations can be seen at the bottom of the page. No Legendary Perks.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...c72&m=c2f8ghd3e

I should probably explain the perks I chose and why they work. The not self explanatory ones, that is.

Intelligence: Only Perks worth pointing out are Incisor and Blocker.

Incisor stacks with Anti Armor weapons. So in this case, if you have an AA weapon, you'd get 50% Armor penetration from the AA Weapon. Incisor deals with the remaining 50% at half effectiveness, meaning it penetrates 37.5% of the remaining 50%. You can't reach 100% armor penetration, there are diminishing returns and Bloodied is still the best choice for low health but for full health, AA it is.

Blocker. Never, ever, not use that. Blocking 45% incoming damage is huge.

Perception: Filler stat. Since we can't have 0 P we use Glow Sight.

Endurance: Radicool increases your Strength the higher your rads. Since we're going Bloodied, this is a no brainer. Fireproof is another no brainer. Not dying from the occasional environment explosion and being next to immune to Scorchbeast screams is a big deal. Ghoulish is part of what makes this a tanky build and it's severely underrated. Rads heal you. You are Melee and most melee enemies deal rad damage. Basically, the damage Melee rad enemies deal to you gets healed almost instantly. Let that sink in. ;)

Charisma: Tenderizer is an amazing damage buff and there is not a single build that doesn't benefit from it.

Intelligence: Self explanatory. Playing Bloodied without Nerd Rage is stupid.

Agility: Self explanatory for most parts. Adrenaline and Gun Fu is what makes this a great build as Adrenaline will only not be active when everything around you is dead. Born Survivor at rank 1 will keep you alive most of the time. Most. Some enemies hit so hard they'd one shot you but those are mainly in DOs or loving Cave Crickets landing a crit on you.

Luck: Ricochet and Serendipity keep you alive. Ricochet is even better if you play ranged with a Vampire weapon but it's decent enough on a Melee as well.

2) The same as above, with Legendary Perks and more QoL perks.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...xa3&m=c2f8gh3ed

This has Bandolier and Batteries Included to allow room for ammo and cores.
Legendary Intelligence to give us 3 * for Batteries Included. The remaining 2 go into Perception for Concentrated Fire 1 to target Limbs in VATS and Luck for Tormentor 1. This is the crippling perk. You need a rifle for this. VATS lock on to a limb of choice and fire at it. For the Queen, you want the wings. For Earle, legs and heads. As an alternative that's slightly better you can slot in Enforcer 1 under Agility and use a shotgun. Downside to this is that you'll need to either drop Action Boy or Adrenaline by 1 star to make room.

The remaining LPs are:
Funky Duds for Poison Resist. Sizzling Style for Fire resist. Funky Duds makes you shrug off poison and Sizzling Style compliments Fireproof. Mirelurk Queen Poison, Earle spits, Angler fire, falling embers during Earle, etc. AOE damage of the poison or fire variety is no longer of concern to you.
Exploding Palm is a nice crowd control perk. It triggers on any attack you do and deals roughly 150 damage to enemies hit by it.
Hack and Slash is an absolute beast. If you kill something and it triggers it deals the damage your weapon does as listed in the Pipboy in an AOE effect. So if your weapon deals 300 or something damage, Hack and Slash deals that as AOE damage to anything around you.
Legendary Strength is there to boost your Melee damage further.

2) The max damage tank. This is the ultimate endgame build. It slays everything and can tank, with the gear mentioned above. There are no QoL perks of any kind because this is all about damage.

https://nukesdragons.com/fallout-76...x33&m=c2f8gh3de

Taking One for the Team, if you can tank damage, is an amazing LP for any build that's not Stealth. 40% extra damage is incredible and since you are playing non stealth Melee you will be attacked.

Final note:

Thanks to Perk Loadouts we can easily transform most builds into something completely different. However, if you want to have a second loadout that's a Stealth Commando or Power Armor Heavy you absolutely can't use Grounded and Twisted Muscles as Mutations. Melee builds are, unfortunately, the only build that can completely wreck all others thanks to important mutations. Class Freak helps here but it will cost Bloody Mess and won't be a 100% solution.
It's better to simply know all Serum Recipes and just craft them yourself but I'm fully aware that there aren't a lot of people who can, or want, to do that. So if you plan on switching builds and Mutations on a more or less regular basis make sure you have the required mutations in your stash as there is no way to just remove a specific one.

If you have any further questions, please ask. :)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 4, 2022

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Sensenmann, seriously, thank you for all the help and work you put into this build advice. Now I have a reasonable progression to work with. It's seriously appreciated, I'll definitely be saving and digging into this post and applying the advice on builds.

I will take you up on those mutations at some point if you don't mind, whenever it's convenient. I'll send you friend request will from 'eggrolled1312' after work, and I'm also on the fallout goon discord.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
You're welcome. ;)

I'm usually in a silo or some other interesting place so just come to my Camp if I'm on a full team already.
It's in the Savage Divide, on a cliff slightly south-west of the National Isolated Radio Array. Sometimes a Scorchbeast or a bunch of Super Mutants come for a visit so don't get jumped. :)

And I still haven't replaced my mic so if you need anything else, let me know here. Or on Discord. I really need to find my password for that. :v:

Edit: There, found my password and am back on Discord. ;)

Edit 2: As soon as I enable the Discord Overlay I can't open the FO76 Social Menu anymore. It still works from the Map but Ctrl-Tab no longer does. The hell?

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 4, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Someone posted once about what to look for on the map to know if a camp was selling serums, what was the trick again? I decided marsupial + bird bones + healing factor was making the game too easy so I cured myself and I really regret it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Someone posted once about what to look for on the map to know if a camp was selling serums, what was the trick again? I decided marsupial + bird bones + healing factor was making the game too easy so I cured myself and I really regret it.

You're looking for Camps with MISC items.

And don't bother with Healing Factor. It's not worth it and, for low health users, it's what's causing the fast travel bug.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just a handful of clips while doing my every so often clear out of shadowplay files. I was planning to document more funny ragdolls but then I got into end game stuff and it turns out everyone walking around with TSE this and that means they sort of lose their uniqueness after the fifteenth scorchbeast flies into the sunset.

https://i.imgur.com/BtxZo4o.mp4

The superman UA explosion and the ghoul opening the door to dodge the grenade were just :staredog:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Orv posted:

Just a handful of clips while doing my every so often clear out of shadowplay files. I was planning to document more funny ragdolls but then I got into end game stuff and it turns out everyone walking around with TSE this and that means they sort of lose their uniqueness after the fifteenth scorchbeast flies into the sunset.

https://i.imgur.com/BtxZo4o.mp4

The superman UA explosion and the ghoul opening the door to dodge the grenade were just :staredog:

I still have no idea how this one happened, I just walked into a camp and the guy glitched out and died like this without me doing anything.

I guess that's why you used to need power armor training. Don't be that guy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh that happens constantly in a bunch of places. Every mutant hound in West Tek just up and dies sometimes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pretty sure the reason you see that is because it was already dead server side but the client side loads it in its alive state and then makes it appear to die so it ragdolls etc

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
New ITV is out.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/2kjeUgfKpwhxgPbkvKgJz2/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-prepare-to-invade-the-public-test-server

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Alright, I just got a Series X and have three games: this, Cyberpunk, and Halo Infinite.

I just asked the Cyberpunk thread if that game's been fixed and got a very swift "No" so I'm here with the same question for Fallout 76. If this one's a no as well, I'll be off to Halo land. Thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011
The vast majority of the things that were utterly unacceptable at launch have been lessened, removed or reworked, the game runs a lot better (still not great) and there's a lot more content to work your way through if you want to just treat it like a SP Fallout game and skip out when you get to the MMO parts at the end.

It is designed to be kind of a dick to play in general though, in terms of ammo and resources and you will continue to suffer that well into the MMO part of the game, so if that bothers you probably don't.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

surf rock posted:

Alright, I just got a Series X and have three games: this, Cyberpunk, and Halo Infinite.

I just asked the Cyberpunk thread if that game's been fixed and got a very swift "No" so I'm here with the same question for Fallout 76. If this one's a no as well, I'll be off to Halo land. Thanks!

If you liked the other bethesda fallout you may enjoy fallout 76.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

surf rock posted:

I played this game recently and had a lot of fun. I just treated it as a single player game and it worked well, with an interesting main quest and a fun and flavorful map instead of Fallout 4's bland same-yness. I'd say give it a shot.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Terrific! Glad to hear it, thanks all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

surf rock posted:

in its current state it's pretty good but you have to be tolerant of server desync weirdness (mainly laggy combat and dialogue). in some ways it's got some great improvements over Fallout 4, if you liked that game at all.
e: the laggy combat is almost never something that will get you killed, overall this game has very easy combat.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

e: the laggy combat is almost never something that will get you killed, overall this game has very easy combat.
make sure to invest in perk cards for the weapons you like, anything that helps you ignore armor, things like that

anytime I see people complain about 76's enemies being bullet sponges (while I'm shredding them instantly) their lack of perks ends up being the issue

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a setting I'm missing to make the game less blurry? I don't mean motion blur or depth of field. It's like the game's trying to simulate my myopia. This was an issue on PS4, but I thought that was largely caused by it running on a lower res internally, but at native 1440p it's pretty similar.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

If you liked the other bethesda fallout you may enjoy fallout 76.

A big issue with Fallout 76 is that since you can't really have VATS work the same way it does with single player it REALLY exposes the weaknesses in Fallout's combat system.

And then there's the pay to win mechanics that they've shoved in to the game.

And there's routinely terrible/hilarious physics bugs.

All told though, it's MUCH better than release, where they had basically skipped everything from Fallout that made it Fallout, expecting that the players were going to "create the fun" for them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The way F76's VATS works is overall a good change imo, along with no-pause looting. As long as you're on a reasonably responsive server it's a nice experience to chew through a few baddies with chained Gun-Fu headshot bursts roughly 10 times faster than you could do the same thing in D4.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

every time i've logged in on pc, i've had lag. seems worse than it was on ps4.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Lag is very rare for me.

A couple of friends who play this on Xbox have lag but only when they play via wifi. If they hook the console directly to the router the lag is pretty much gone. Might be similar on PC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol from the digital foundry video

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/s65zph/datamine_expeditions_what_we_know_now/

Expeditions data mine for those jot on the discord.

Looks like more complicated daily ops or a full blown raid.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Reminder: Fasnacht starts tomorrow with the daily reset.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sensenmann posted:

Reminder: Fasnacht starts tomorrow with the daily reset.

Also consuming things too fast can soft-lock your game. The workaround is to bind things you use a lot of to the fav wheel so it takes two clicks instead of one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So Ive been playing 76 for a while now given that it was free on xbox pass and I never bothered to try it out till recently. Ive enjoyed it a lot actually, way more than I thought I would but this probably because the state of the game as it is now rather than what it was when it launched.

Only issue I have right now is the perk system. Being an unfocused mess when leveling feels like I've handicapped myself and now leveling is getting slower and getting extra perks takes longer and longer. I wonder if starting over would just be better now that I have a better idea of what I should be building around

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 18, 2022

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So Ive been playing 76 for a while now given that it was free on xbox pass and I never bothered to try it out till recently. Ive enjoyed it a lot actually, way more than I thought I would but this probably because the state of the game as it is now rather than what it was when it launched.

Only issue I have right now is the perk system. Being an unfocused mess when leveling feels like I've handicapped myself and now leveling is getting slower and getting extra perks takes longer and longer. I wonder if starting over would just be better now that I have a better idea of what I should be building around

You can just respecc or swap to a different perk loadout, it's free and fast. All you need to do is visit a Punch Card machine at any train station or build one at your own camp. The latter is possible once you hit level 25.

These days it's unnecessary to start over just because you made a couple of mistakes along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think it's unreasonable to run multiple characters with different sets of perk cards - especially the legendary perks take a long time to build up because you have to scrap regular perks to get the currency required to make the legendary perk cards, but the more you level the more time costs to get each level/batch of perk cards, I felt like around level 150 or so is when a character feels pretty "complete". Also you can do the alternate ending of whatever quest content if you want to do that, although the differences there are pretty minor, you can see 99% of all the content on one character if you want to.
NB: I have three characters but tbh two would have been plenty even by my standards and I normally make *a lot of characters* in these games