Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for driving the posted speed limit in a school zone during school hours?

I can't stand my countrymen to the point I have emigrated not once, but twice. Their driving manners are a non trivial part of that.

One of the best ways to ignite an heated argument at any social gathering is to innocently start a discussion whether driving at the posted speed limit constitutes aggressive and/or reckless driving or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was it Carlin that said no matter your age, gender, wealth status, religion, everyone thinks they are a loving amazing driver?

I believe it was actually Dave Barry. And yeah god forbid you tell anyone their driving might not be great. People get so angry at that

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for driving the posted speed limit in a school zone during school hours?

Was this happening the week of Thanksgiving? I’m pretty sure school kids get the week off.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Dazerbeams posted:

Was this happening the week of Thanksgiving? I’m pretty sure school kids get the week off.

Regardless it was probably less than a hundred meters where the guy drove 20 miles an hour. If that gets you so amped up you are screaming and gesticulating wildy at the car in front of you you should probably drive into a ditch because you are an rear end in a top hat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

B-Rock452 posted:

Regardless it was probably less than a hundred meters where the guy drove 20 miles an hour. If that gets you so amped up you are screaming and gesticulating wildy at the car in front of you you should probably drive into a ditch because you are an rear end in a top hat

Some people really lose it over the smallest poo poo, it's so weird. The other day I was waiting in backed-up traffic at a highway junction, and this one dude is HONKING and YELLING and WAVING HIS ARMS, meanwhile everyone else is sharing glances between their cars, laughing and pointing. Dude sees this, gets even madder, starts yelling at everyone and starts opening and closing his door I guess "threateningly". It took a few minutes to clear out the backup, in the meantime dude almost bust a forehead vein.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was it Carlin that said no matter your age, gender, wealth status, religion, everyone thinks they are a loving amazing driver?

Carlin's thing was being fascinated by what people will happily proclaim, like not being able to do math or being clumsy, compared to what people will never admit to, like having a poor sense of humor or being a bad driver.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Exceeding the speed limit in a school zone, regardless if school is in session or not, is a great way to get a citation for reckless driving. School zones are well known for being speed traps and for good reason. That guy that was behind the OP is going to kill somebody with his bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am aware my driving skill is subpar so I just... don't. Moving to another country so I'd never need to drive again was one of the benefits

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Barudak posted:

I am aware my driving skill is subpar so I just... don't. Moving to another country so I'd never need to drive again was one of the benefits

Same, sort of. I've always chosen to live in places where I can avoid driving.

I'll also add that, for me at least, being a reluctant driver has been a disadvantage or even dealbreaker in romantic relationships. It's a gender norm/double standard that's kind of taken for granted.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling a bride her wedding dress was average at best?

My husband's grandfather is getting married for the first time to someone 10 years younger than MIL.

Trying to guess some ages for this:
Husband: 30
MIL: 55
Grandfather: 70
Amanda: 45

The age difference seems like a critique of both grandfather's and Amanda's character, though once you really get up in age, it doesn't seem as bad to be with someone younger than your kid.

I want to know what the actual ages are.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If the town is small enough, locals will know where the cops like to hang out at any given time. But yeah, freaking out behind the wheel is never okay. Road rage is for the unhinged, and it’s terrifying how proud some people get over it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I really don't quite understand what happened here but in the spirit of 2022 I recommend throwing all of these people in the trash

tl;dr - social media turns your brain into mush

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for sending my sil tiktoks to family group chat causing her an anxiety attack

"Hey, don't worry about all the videos I'm putting on the internet about how you're a horrible monster. If you end up losing your job or something over it I'll just make a video saying it was all made up."

If you're doing a creative thing just use made up people. Sheesh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dazerbeams posted:

If the town is small enough, locals will know where the cops like to hang out at any given time. But yeah, freaking out behind the wheel is never okay. Road rage is for the unhinged, and it’s terrifying how proud some people get over it.

Road ragers definitely are working themselves up to kill somebody some day.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dazerbeams posted:

The people I know who tend to get mad at other drivers usually are driving very dangerously themselves. Every slip up is magnified because it could have caused an accident because they're driving in such a way that the person in front of them tapping the brakes can cause them to crash.

The scariest drivers, though, are the ones who drive super dangerously and seem calm but are paying attention to nearly anything but the road. Like they don't seem to even notice that they're riding this guy's bumper going double the speed limit down a suburban street.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm still gonna scream at people who stop within the roundabout and you can stop me :colbert:

The people ENTERING are supposed to yield, not YOU, you dumb motherfucker!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm still gonna scream at people who stop within the roundabout and you can stop me :colbert:

In situations like this I just go "lmao wtf is this clown doing" and try my best to mitigate the danger. Closest I got to being mad was when someone got mad at me for stopping at a yield sign (to wait for an opportunity to merge into the roundabout).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

The scariest drivers, though, are the ones who drive super dangerously and seem calm but are paying attention to nearly anything but the road. Like they don't seem to even notice that they're riding this guy's bumper going double the speed limit down a suburban street.

In the UK we call these '40mph people'. They drive at 40mph when the speed limit is 30 and they drive at 40mph when the speed limit is 50. The horrifying thing is that this doesn't look particularly dangerous until you realise that they are absolutely committed to doing their own thing and are barely conscious of the world around them as they plough forwards regardless.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

There is a roundabout in the town next to my mom’s and it’s been there since before I was born. There is a DMV in this town that the driving test will take you to said roundabout, or if not that one, the other ones in this town.

People still stop in the drat roundabout trying to let people in. ALL THE TIME. Roundabouts are easy once you know that you do not stop in the middle of them.

Likewise, the only thing I’ll get angry about is if someone’s driving is putting me and my passengers in danger. The shittiest accident that I’ve been into was because someone “thought they could make a red” and tboned me, when I was the second car in the green lane to have the green. He hit me so hard my car pinballed into a stopped car that had the red in his opposite lane, aka his red, the same drat red.

I’ll cop to be an assertive driver - but not “let’s see if I can run a red when it’s been red for 30 seconds”.

The other thing that gets me is are my eyes decaying rapidly or why does everyone have those insanely bright halogen headlights? Like it’s rude to have your brights on all the time, you don’t circumvent that rudeness by having your regular headlights ALSO basically brights.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
IME, these people are always going significantly faster than the speed limit. They aren't thinking about the cars around them or pedestrians or "I wonder what's around this blind turn" or "this is a parking lot" they're just thinking "vroom car go fast" and dodging obstacles. The "why does a car have mirrors I never use them" people.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

The other thing that gets me is are my eyes decaying rapidly or why does everyone have those insanely bright halogen headlights? Like it’s rude to have your brights on all the time, you don’t circumvent that rudeness by having your regular headlights ALSO basically brights.

They do that in case you want to read.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

In the UK we call these '40mph people'. They drive at 40mph when the speed limit is 30 and they drive at 40mph when the speed limit is 50. The horrifying thing is that this doesn't look particularly dangerous until you realise that they are absolutely committed to doing their own thing and are barely conscious of the world around them as they plough forwards regardless.

There was a commute to work I had for a couple years where it started as a 70 mph freeway, dropped to 60 for a dense set of exits, then transitioned into a highway on the way out of town. I tend to go up to 5mph over the speed limit as for most roads in town that's basically the average flow of traffic, so basically every morning I'd be cruising along, passing a couple cars doing closer to 70, getting passed by cars doing closer to 80, but mostly just staying within a pack of commuters. Then we'd hit the 60 zone and basically no one would change their speed so I was always left with the awkward choice of now being a rolling blockade going about 10 mph under the flow of traffic by going 65, or just joining the average that was now closer to 15 over the speed limit as posted. I hated it.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 3, 2022

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for sending my sil tiktoks to family group chat causing her an anxiety attack

my anxiety!!!!!!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

In situations like this I just go "lmao wtf is this clown doing" and try my best to mitigate the danger. Closest I got to being mad was when someone got mad at me for stopping at a yield sign (to wait for an opportunity to merge into the roundabout).

I usually just yell "Gooooo!" Usually at a high, dismayed pitch because my brain is too busy trying to process what is happening to form other words, let alone sentences.

I also do it at one railway underpass that is at the apex of a blind u-curve. There's plenty of room to make it through, even with oncoming traffic, but once a week, some rando is gonna stop in the underpass to wait for cars to pass and just beg to get someone rear-ended.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Soylent Pudding posted:

alright, i admit i would watch this show and laugh at amanda's lines

"flush, bitch!!" lol

the escalating madness followed by dead silence as soon as someone says the dress looks completely off-the-rack, lmao

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXpmHuCE9Ls

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for calling the Police on my fiancé?

quote:

My fiance (28M) and I (30F) have been together for 3 years, I used to live close to work and used public transportation but after I moved in to his house which is hours away from work I bought myself a car since I'm a nurse and also since there isn't any hospitals close to where we live that I could transfer to.

My fiance's car hasn't been working for close to 2 months now, It requires so much money to get it fixed and he refused my fiancial help when I offered it.

Instead, he would ask to use my car every now and then and I agreed as long as it's when I'm not working and also, since he only uses it for trips to the supermarket etc.

On new years eve, he told me he wanted to use my car to go hang out with his friends and celebrate but I declined because I had to cover a night shift and needed my car to travel to work. He insisted and even suggested I take the night off or swap shifts with another nurse but I couldn't do that last minute.

I thought he dropped it then but when I went into the shower and got out I couldn't find him nor my car, I freaked out and started calling for half an hour but he didn't answer me, I tried again til one of his friends picked up, I demanded he give the phone to my fiance but he said they were out and confirmed that he took my car and told me that my fiance said that it's better that I skip my shift and he'll be back with my car later. I couldn't take it I felt so enraged I had my fiance on the phone telling him I did not consent for him to take my car to go hang out with friends and said I'd call the police to get it back if he refused to come back with it, but he didn't take me seriously so I ended up calling the police and he and his friends were picked up at the bar where they were hanging out, then were taken to the police department.

I got my car from there and still went to my shift, my fiance was let go hours after I left and he blew up my phone with missed calls and texts about how I was out of my mind to call the police on him and put him in this situation. I did not respond but when I got off work the next day we got into an argument and he said he couldn't believe I'd do this to him but I told him he made me do this to which he responded that I was petty and callous because not only did I ruin his new years celebration, but all his friends aren't speaking to him after I put them in this situation as well and he then kept giving me silence about it.

I did consider this a form of theft especially since he went behind my back after getting a "NO" from me, but he was shocked that I'd even imply that he was a thief and said what's yours is mine and vice versa so I shouldn't be using the terms "theft and stealing".

Op in comments posted:

When he kept disrespecting my job this was me being fed up because I've done my best to support him and even uprooted my life and moved away just so he could be happy but in return all I saw was disrespect towards my job. He treats my shifts as if they are hang outs with friend that I could cancel or put off which is not okay in any capacity.

He used to work for a friend's family but stopped after his car broke down. I offered to get fixed for him but he said he would never let me fix his problems for him. I stopped offering help seeing he was against it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Our first nominee for this year's Petra Jr. award:

AITA for telling my niece her grandparents are homophobic?

quote:

I (28 M) am gay, and my parents disowned me because of it. I haven’t spoken to them in 8 years. However, I’m still close with my sister (34 F) and her daughter (10 F). My sister still has a relationship with our parents.

Every year, my parents host a big Christmas gathering. I’m never invited, but my sister and niece always go. A day or two after that, we do a smaller Christmas with just me, my sister, and my niece.

At our smaller Christmas gathering, while my sister was in the other room, my niece asked why I never go to my parents’ Christmas. I replied with the excuse I’ve used for years: I had to work. My niece said that my excuse didn’t make sense because sometimes the big gathering happened on Christmas, when I definitely have the day off. She was getting upset and asked “do you not like to be with us?”

If she hadn’t said that, I probably wouldn’t have told her. But I can’t stand the idea that she would think I chose not to go to the Christmas. So, in a calm voice, I said “well, you know how I date boys instead of girls? Grandma and Grandpa don’t like that, so they ask me not to go to Christmas.”

My niece was obviously upset by this. The next day, she called her grandparents and asked how dare they tell me not to come to Christmas. Apparently she was really harsh with them. Then, my parents called my sister and yelled at her for letting my niece around me.

My sister confronted me and said I was an rear end in a top hat for causing the family fight and for involving my niece in it. I feel really bad, and I really didn’t expect my niece to call them and cause a fight. So I wanted to know, AITA?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

People still stop in the drat roundabout trying to let people in. ALL THE TIME. Roundabouts are easy once you know that you do not stop in the middle of them.

These people are called "niceholes". These people will stop on a freeway exit ramp to let you merge if you have a yield sign and they think you've been waiting too long. They will stop in the middle of an intersection while driving straight in order to let you turn left in front of them from the oncoming traffic lane.

Niceholes that drive get people killed.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Our first nominee for this year's Petra Jr. award:

AITA for telling my niece her grandparents are homophobic?

That kid's a good egg.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hughlander posted:

AITA for calling the Police on my fiancé?

always the rear end in a top hat for calling the pigs

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Huge assholes must prosper for sake of mis-applied ACAB.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That's a heck of a take for someone stealing your car.

edit: It just occurred to me that it might have been sarcasm.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

before you call the cops you must always ask yourself “does what this person is doing deserve the death penalty” because there is always at least a decent possibility that calling the cops ends in them shooting someone dead. it should be your default assumption of the outcome if the person you’re calling them on is darker than a paper bag.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Set a bastard to catch an rear end in a top hat. I don't think there are a lot of people who can get away with "my fiancé took my car". I'm just surprised that the cops actually went and did something about it rather than just give her a case number for insurance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am an extremely nervous driver, and I would never claim to be a good one. On the other hand, there's a roundabout near our tourist town, and everybody uses it correctly, including (apparently) the tourists. It's a miracle.

AITA for calling my daughter's fiance a 'manlet'?

quote:

So my (48M) daughter (26F) and her fiance, 'Jim', (28M) broke the news to me recently about their engagement. I admit, I was a little surprised that Jim didn't seek my approval before proposing, but I kept that to myself. Moreover, they've only been dating for a year, and I hadn't even met Jim in-person more than handful of times until now.

Now, Jim is about 5'10 ft tall. That wouldn't necessarily be an issue, but we all come from a very tall family - literally adult is 6+ ft, including my daughter. Personally, I'm surprised that she decided to date someone shorter than her for so long. I've prodded and probed a few times to find out what she sees in him, but the furthest I've got is that 'he makes her happy'. I've even tried to set her up a few times with some tall friends of my son (all 6'2 and above), but she always rejects them. I'll admit, this all has me pretty stumped.

Anyway, this all blew-up over the holidays when my daughter and Jim came over with the rest of our tall family. We often do recrational 'tall people' activities when we're all together, such as basketball in our back yard. I wanted to haze Jim a little bit, (like fathers-in-law are supposed to do,) so I challenged him to a 1 on 1 basketball duel.

To my shock, Jim actually beat me pretty badly in front of the whole family. It was only afterwards that he revealed his life-long passion for basketball, including playing for his high school team. I then joked with him that he "wasn't so bad for a manlet after all". Unfortuantely, this comment seemed to turn the atmosphere very sour, and my daughter was visibly pissed. I was later able to shake Jim's hand and apologise, but my daughter would just blow me off everytime. Things were tense that evening and they left the next day - I haven't spoke to them since.

Reddit, am I really the rear end in a top hat for making a height joke about my short future son-in-law?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Lmao that loser dad got owned by the Alpha Manlet

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am an extremely nervous driver, and I would never claim to be a good one. On the other hand, there's a roundabout near our tourist town, and everybody uses it correctly, including (apparently) the tourists. It's a miracle.

lol I hope this guy loses to his son in law at everything ever

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"We often do recrational 'tall people' activities when we're all together"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Someone needs to tell this dad that being tall is not a personality