Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrJEBall/status/1475089764206489602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
it's been really cold outside and Tiny Man was starting to get just a little bit of discoloration on the ends of his comb, so I brought him indoors and gave him some time to warm up. He'll stay the night indoors and tomorrow we'll vaseline him up before letting him back out. In the mean time he's sitting here falling asleep in my pocket.

He's a good bird.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

BHB posted:

it's been really cold outside and Tiny Man was starting to get just a little bit of discoloration on the ends of his comb, so I brought him indoors and gave him some time to warm up. He'll stay the night indoors and tomorrow we'll vaseline him up before letting him back out. In the mean time he's sitting here falling asleep in my pocket.

He's a good bird.

I love Tiny Man. Thank you for taking such good care of him.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

aww what a cutie :kimchi:

i wish i had a pocket chicken

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

who wants small eggs

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Tiny Man is the Chicken We Need.

Question - Does a tiny chicken in your pocket produce a lot of poop? My cockatiel goes a couple times an hour and clean up is simple if you catch it when it happens. I don't know how much that applies to something technically "livestock."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Tiny Man! :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

LOOK AT THAT LITTLE FACE!

BHB posted:

He's a good bird.
The best.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Tiny Man is the Chicken We Need.

Question - Does a tiny chicken in your pocket produce a lot of poop? My cockatiel goes a couple times an hour and clean up is simple if you catch it when it happens. I don't know how much that applies to something technically "livestock."

yeah, Pocket Chicken time has ended with a poop more often than not. It sets a pretty hard limit on how long the activity lasts.

He'd look funny in a tiny chicken diaper though

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

someone or something got the front door of the quail hutch open. 2 quails remain, a rooster and i think a hen.

the rooster has been calling and calling to get his girls to come home, but i didn't see any sign of anybody out there.

no blood, no mess, just...gone.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh god. I'm so sorry.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

we found queso blanco! she has no camouflage. it's her curse, but my blessing. back up to 3! :unsmith:

in retrospect i believe it was scurryfeet who flew the coop first...she's light-colored like marzipan but not as GOLD and the one left is definitely GOLD and a BOY. so we're down to lil dumplin', queso blanco, and marzipan.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 29, 2021

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

glad you found queso blanco

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 9, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

someone or something got the front door of the quail hutch open. 2 quails remain, a rooster and i think a hen.

the rooster has been calling and calling to get his girls to come home, but i didn't see any sign of anybody out there.

no blood, no mess, just...gone.

heartbreaking, i'm so sorry :sympathy:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So sorry for your quail loss. How many are you down (this time)?

City of Glompton posted:

Lil' Pep is broody again :argh:

How's Lil' Pep doing?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

spookygonk posted:

So sorry for your quail loss. How many are you down (this time)?

How's Lil' Pep doing?

From the 8 who grew into a lovely egg-producing flock, I'm down to 3!

Thank you for the sympathies. Quails are dumb and cute and I love them, but as Avs has mentioned many times in the past, they are certainly wellsprings of sadness.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Just had this pop up on my FB page and cause some dust to get in my eye:

Today is the anniversary of the rehoming of Piper, Dora, Boo and Queen Pip the Glorious.

We lost Pip on the 15th of January and the flock hasn't been the same since, it's now a loose collective of four hens. Been a hard year. :smith:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Those memory posts are a blessing and a curse. RIP Queen Pip.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

^^^ such a lovely transformation! :unsmith:

spookygonk posted:

How's Lil' Pep doing?

she got a diaper today. she is not impressed

the bowtie in particular caused her consternation so it had to go

it took her about 10 minutes to get out of it. i think her frizzle feathers and lack of tail feathers make it difficult to properly apply. at least she got a little exercise?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’ve been slowly building a duck house out of old fence materials. The ducks help.

https://youtu.be/KqK_ENW0WFw

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love the little tail wiggle at the end there

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Joburg posted:

I’ve been slowly building a duck house out of old fence materials. The ducks help.

Those ducks are hard at work.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Joburg posted:

*boing*
*wagwagwag*

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Muscovy wags are great. good helpers.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pleasing colors and shapes.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Everything I read about sebrights says they lay 1 or 1.5 eggs per week. Many sources say they usually won’t lay at all their first year and will hit menarche the next spring. I have two ~8-month-old sebrights. They have both laid three days in a row now. They have laid five days out of seven for a total of 10 eggs in a week. They have been producing like this for a couple of months now, even during the shortest days of the year. I don’t know how this is possible. Their eggs aren’t easy to confuse for any of my other chickens; this has to be them. :shrug:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Happy new year chicken keeper goons. Y'all have the best chickens.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

freeedr posted:

Everything I read about sebrights says they lay 1 or 1.5 eggs per week. Many sources say they usually won’t lay at all their first year and will hit menarche the next spring. I have two ~8-month-old sebrights. They have both laid three days in a row now. They have laid five days out of seven for a total of 10 eggs in a week. They have been producing like this for a couple of months now, even during the shortest days of the year. I don’t know how this is possible. Their eggs aren’t easy to confuse for any of my other chickens; this has to be them. :shrug:

My mom’s sebrights laid a lot of eggs, but it didn’t seem like it because they hid them all the time. She regularly found stashes of 10+ eggs. You are a chicken wizard if you can keep yours laying in the nesting box!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

my cat is norris posted:

Pleasing colors and shapes.

beautiful birds

freeedr posted:

congrats on your above-average butterflies :)

spookygonk posted:

Happy new year chicken keeper goons. Y'all have the best chickens.

happy new year!

Lil' Pep was really bored today so i let her out with the other chickens. it's cold and windy, but it's sunny and she went right to the dust bath spot. both roosters tried to harass her but she didn't care, it was dusting time. i'll bring her in tonight so she can avoid bedtime bullying but i'm glad she can get out with everyone for a bit

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

norris i'm so sorry about your quail! that is terrible! it's good that you managed to catch one as she bumbled around in the wilderness and that you still have three, and the trio you have left are lovely, but you've tried so hard to give these little fools a good life and it's tragic that fate keeps getting in your way. they just don't understand that we want to keep them safe. they look at us like we're idiots and then go off and get themselves slain

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My chicken coop is in a pond now. It rained a lot last night and it's still raining lol.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

an egg posted:

norris i'm so sorry about your quail! that is terrible! it's good that you managed to catch one as she bumbled around in the wilderness and that you still have three, and the trio you have left are lovely, but you've tried so hard to give these little fools a good life and it's tragic that fate keeps getting in your way. they just don't understand that we want to keep them safe. they look at us like we're idiots and then go off and get themselves slain

the quail life!!!!

i will hatch beautiful new children in the spring.

they will also someday do something stupid and terrible, but you know that.

Shifty Nipples posted:

My chicken coop is in a pond now. It rained a lot last night and it's still raining lol.

and how do the chickens like it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They're officially known as ducks, now. You can no longer refer to them as chickens.

I got the pressure washer out a couple of days ago and pressure washed the coop. The roof had gone green from a couple of years of being under the trees, and seeing it come out all red and brand new looking was quite satisfying.

Moved their house up to near ours, instead of under the trees. A few geese and swans in the area have been hit by bird flu, but I don't have the resources to make them a covered run. :ohdear: Have stopped throwing oats out for them, and aren't feeding the wild birds this year. :(

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

the quail life!!!!

i will hatch beautiful new children in the spring.

they will also someday do something stupid and terrible, but you know that.
:unsmith: bless them, bless you

i've just been admiring the orbs' morning routine. they have breakfast, and then they all plob down around the cage and gaze at each other serenely. it's enviable to me how they achieve these states of perfect calm when the world is so dangerous for them

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

nothing moves my heart like seeing a quail all splayed out in the sunshine, blissed out and having a wonderful time, as well-camouflaged as a melting soft-serve ice cream on carpark asphalt

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nice bit of morning sun here in the UK this morning (though -4°C / 24°F overnight).

Willow and Molly appreciated it.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 5, 2022

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

and how do the chickens like it?

Fortunately the coop is on relatively higher ground so the water was only a few centimeters deep and they weren't too bothered by it.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
It feels like spring today so this one is crowing in the yard like a big boy!

The 4 Jersey giants and the Cream Legbar crow too, but only in the coop, never in front of the grown up roosters. (Jersey Giant roosters are fantastic, they seem to get fewer teenage rooster hormones than the other breeds we’ve had so I highly recommend them.)

And Goldie is still a lap chicken.

The neighborhood Guineas are really being jerks to the chickens. As soon as the duck house is finished I’ll be looking for some female Guineas to start off in the pen. I’ve looked really closely (with binoculars) and I think there is only one hen in the current group of five :classiclol:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I approve of this meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

we use that document at work for testing faxes. i smile every time i see it

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 9, 2022