Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

COVID ended.

phew, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1478081749473234951?s=20

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

im excited for chicago schools to get cancelled yet again when the teachers try to teach remote only and get locked out of the software

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ex post facho posted:

Is Bolso the key? He's going to eventually produce the doom strain with how many different variants he has running through him at this point.

Have there been any brain autopsies in COVID patients yet that show if severe covid also puts holes in brain like it does your heart and lungs

yes

https://twitter.com/NjbBari3/status/1474987811606446081?s=20

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1470109244011827205?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

her kid is enrolled in remote-only lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so it wasn’t covid !

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

OK baizuo posted:

People claim they want covid to be over, but their actions indicate they really don't. Demon cracker nation :d2a:

if they really wanted covid to be over they’d do a lot more work normalizing all the deaths and the hospital system collapsing. just come out and tell people that they have to die. sorry, if you have trouble breathing you just drew the short straw. everyone dies eventually right? please climb into this coffin before you lose consciousness so no one as to lift your corpse into it.

Fetlife Kuli
Dec 8, 2021

The world moves on a marten's lips

Frosted Flake posted:

“Use medicine; take potions which can help you; fumigate house, yard, and street; shun persons and places wherever your neighbor does not need your presence or has recovered, and act like a man who wants to help put out the burning city. What else is the epidemic but a fire, which instead of consuming wood and straw devours life and body?”

- Some German Guy, 1527

This guy was wokescolding, and unfairly attacking scientific, evidence-based policies because his choice for Pope couldn't win an election

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

LOL, my friend is in this show right now with the entire department team since they work for a major drone company. They arrived from China a couple days ago and understand literally nothing about covid, how it is spread, or that Omicron is different from other variants. They believe covid mainly spreads through fomites and brought instant noodles with them to eat for the entire duration of their stay in the US. They are all going to get covid in the next day or two, lol.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Sounds like a comorbidity to me. That kid died WITH COVID

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hospitalizations going vertical in NYC. likely all very Mild of course.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Fetlife Kuli posted:

Everyone who thinks we should put out the fire now is an arsonist.

- Fires naturally evolve to be less hot as they consume the hottest-burning fuels first
- Heat actually helps strengthen some materials, so it's making us stronger
- If we let the firefighters go to work we have to evacuate the building and suffer losses in productivity
- Sorry replacing the fire extinguishers wasn't in the budget this quarter, if you're concerned you can purchase one yourself
- Forcing people to evacuate the burning building is tyranny
- Smoke alarms will let people know when it's time to leave the room
- We're out of towels so stop, drop, and roll as best as you can, also the science of fire is telling us most people only need to stop and drop before getting up to assist in extinguishing other people
- Flames can only spread from person to person contact -- radiative ignition is unproven and only doomer cranks think it's important
- Burn wounds heal, it's okay if people get mild burns
- Letting the nursery burn will select for flame-resistant children
- Check out these flame-resistant gels that the government doesn't want you to know about

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rah! posted:

lol if u look at that thread, theyre really mad about this thread

no thanks, last I checked it was by far the most toxic thread in cspam and most of the people who post there get very very very very very very upset if you say they should not use slurs

also last I checked it was one of the designated safe spaces for using bigoted slurs on the forums because they cry and whine so hard if they try to restrict it that the mods give up

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

so many of my peer academics reporting some version of "i think i may be too stupid to do my job now, maybe?"

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I had to walk through the ED this morning to get to a very important meeting that simply had to be held in person (and got canceled 5 mins before starting because the PM was sick) and there are so many patients there right now

So many in overflow

So many in the waiting room

Happy new years!!!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

In Training posted:

New NY Times Pitch for a media take with a 2 week lifespan- "In the era of Omicron, is the focus on hospitalizations helpful? Some are arguing COVID deaths are the only good metric."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao every one in China will be 30% smarter

At least it’s not hereditary

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nikosoft posted:

I had to walk through the ED this morning to get to a very important meeting that simply had to be held in person (and got canceled 5 mins before starting because the PM was sick) and there are so many patients there right now

So many in overflow

So many in the waiting room

Happy new years!!!

congratulations on your The Matrix avatar regaining relevancy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PITY BONER posted:

LOL, my friend is in this show right now with the entire department team since they work for a major drone company. They arrived from China a couple days ago and understand literally nothing about covid, how it is spread, or that Omicron is different from other variants. They believe covid mainly spreads through fomites and brought instant noodles with them to eat for the entire duration of their stay in the US. They are all going to get covid in the next day or two, lol.

well that sounds like it was a horrifically bad idea for China to send people to the plague lands then

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Crazypoops posted:

I'm actually I little ashamed of how much eating out I used to do. I don't see myself ever going back even after the pandemic. Also my food kicks rear end now I finally figured out how to make a kick rear end sandwich after a decade of trying.

Well don’t leave us hanging. What’s the trick?

Also, we have relatives that were exposed to Covid+ other family on Christmas. What is the earliest we could see the non symptomatic folks?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

“Use medicine; take potions which can help you; fumigate house, yard, and street; shun persons and places wherever your neighbor does not need your presence or has recovered, and act like a man who wants to help put out the burning city. What else is the epidemic but a fire, which instead of consuming wood and straw devours life and body?”

- Some German Guy, 1527

sounds like he needed therapy

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Stereotype posted:

America can’t handle a mass disabling event. if covid really is causing severe long term negative side effects sufficient to cause disability in large numbers of young working age people (of course it is) the nation legitimately is going to collapse.

I’m starting to think there isn’t a limit on the amount of disability and death America can handle. Functional schools? Nah, kids can work in the Amazon warehouse, they need the help and kids need the training. Collapsed healthcare? It’s fine, either hire a personal doctor or find a quick cure on Facebook. Food shortages? Obviously other people hoarding all the food and grocery store employees too lazy to stock the shelves. Rolling blackouts? That’s normal, you can’t expect power 24/7, stop acting so spoiled. Long term disability? Try getting up a little earlier for work so you’ll have more time to take breathers on the walk from your car to the office. Loved ones dropping dead? Sudden death just happens, make sure to roll their body into the gutter before 7am so the body plow can pick it up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hopefully it’s just crippling depression making people feel less smart and not airborne viral ALS

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

WampaLord posted:

:hfive:

I can make some stuff as good if not better than any restaurant at this point and it owns because it's a ton cheaper to do it at home.

when I figured out how to make my own lovely American Chinese takeout food at home it was a glorious day.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nocontexttrek/status/1478079282295545860?s=21

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

they will stop any day, without us doing anything. you'll see

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I’m starting to think there isn’t a limit on the amount of disability and death America can handle. Functional schools? Nah, kids can work in the Amazon warehouse, they need the help and kids need the training. Collapsed healthcare? It’s fine, either hire a personal doctor or find a quick cure on Facebook. Food shortages? Obviously other people hoarding all the food and grocery store employees too lazy to stock the shelves. Rolling blackouts? That’s normal, you can’t expect power 24/7, stop acting so spoiled. Long term disability? Try getting up a little earlier for work so you’ll have more time to take breathers on the walk from your car to the office. Loved ones dropping dead? Sudden death just happens, make sure to roll their body into the gutter before 7am so the body plow can pick it up.

Ultimately I will support a strong warlord who can overrun the existing structure and provide power to me in exchange for my service to Gas Town.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1478009220624748545?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zurtilik posted:

I'm honestly interested in loving around with the elastomerics just because I've heard multiple people in this thread swear that it is easier and more comfortable to breathe/wear than most of the N95s.

I wish this were true but this absolutely is not true of my secure click, which is heavy and seems to seal worse than a lighter disposable because of that. ymmv.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Buy a Secure Click

:/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

poisonpill posted:

Well don’t leave us hanging. What’s the trick?

Also, we have relatives that were exposed to Covid+ other family on Christmas. What is the earliest we could see the non symptomatic folks?

I wouldn’t be in the same room as them until two weeks after they stopped being in the same room as the infectious people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

and you better make sure you moved your car out of the way of the body plow or it's a tow and a ticket!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/anthonydevito/status/1478078831135178759?s=21

speng31b
May 8, 2010

In Training posted:

actually new admissions were down yesterday! (for one day, the sunday of new years weekend)

* tweets about how this is great news *

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where the gently caress are the us numbers

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I see that the Friedman unit has moved from 6 months down to 6 weeks when it comes to pandemic management.

We are so beyond hosed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PITY BONER posted:

This sounds like someone who just emerged from a coma. I hope they all got a crash course in contagion prevention and some N95s.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

when I figured out how to make my own lovely American Chinese takeout food at home it was a glorious day.

It was a great day when I realized that authentic ginger beef sauce is just sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and ginger

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WampaLord posted:

Yeah it's weird how "well if I die I die" changes real quick when death is actually on the table

This is a well-known phenomenon in the military. Green troops might be unexperienced, but they’ll take risks because they don’t know what they’re risking. On the individual level, this results in Stress Injury outpacing any gains in competency or experience. There is a break-even point where experienced soldiers are not “good” soldiers strictly speaking - either they are burnt out, traumatized or cautious to the point of undermining their military effectiveness.

The most famous example of the is the British 7th Armoured Division - The Desert Rats. They fought the Italians and Germans in North Africa all the way from 1940, through the toughest days of that campaign, and gained a reputation as the most experienced unit in the British Army. Battle honours like you wouldn’t believe, bested Rommel, and were Monty’s favourites.

When Monty was placed in charge of the 21st Army Group prior to the invasion of North-West Europe, they seemed like a natural choice. They were the most experienced soldiers the British had, most days in combat as a unit and individually, surely that experience would make them unbeatable, right?

Well first of all, they were pissed off to be going to Normandy rather than sent home, and second once they got there they were the most experienced Allied unit - they refused to take risks, broke off attacks early, took their time, minimized casualties, and otherwise demonstrated they had experienced what combat was like, and wanted to stay the gently caress away. Eventually Monty fired nearly all their senior leadership and put in as many fresh replacements as possible. This became the general Allied policy in the Netherlands and the push into Germany: send in green troops because they believe “If I die, I die”, experienced soldiers are not going to risk that unless they absolutely have to.

This is the cycle in the modern, professional military too. Privates with no tours couldn’t wait to go to Afghanistan, guys who had been there for a bad year like 2008 or 2010 would try to get assigned to work at the school or something. The new guys would be excited to get into contact, the old guys would want to just hunker down and wait for fires. New guys would want to eagerly patrol and hated hold ups, old guys would call for engineers and wait for them to clear the road if anything seemed even a little off. After a few years of Afghanistan they had burnt out the professional core of the military, so tours were filled with Reservists.

Now, it does make me wonder if Open Biden may backfire: You see what the stakes are up close, there’s no way you’re sticking your neck out. If enough people die, everybody who makes it through that has the experience to stay safe and the motivation to do so. If you have a close shave, you’re not going to gently caress around again because you remember what it’s like to have the medics working on you.

I suppose the difference here is that people don’t see someone do all of the stuff you were told to do, the same stuff you’re doing, and get killed, they just hear about it, so maybe they won’t have that same reaction of experience making them cautious and burnt out. On the other hand, that’s kind of what this thread is, in a way I mean. You join the Respirator Gang by seeing enough of this poo poo that you want to stay out of that.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Waiting for my pfizer dose to thaw and the pharmacy tech is telling me that they’re having a horrible day because 5 of their 7 staff are out sick today. I’m in danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

PITY BONER posted:

怎么说 ”lmao owned" in Mandarin?