Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
How is it playing with headphones? Cool or too cut off from your surroundings?

I want to try my pc headhpones but the cable is like 10 feet long, I would need to find a small mini 2.5 to 3.5mm cable or use just a regular old pair and get a small 3.5mm cable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Reek posted:

I want to try my pc headhpones but the cable is like 10 feet long, I would need to find a small mini 2.5 to 3.5mm cable or use just a regular old pair and get a small 3.5mm cable

I use the headphones that came with the PSVR and they work fine. I have no idea how loud the quest gets so I prefer avoiding annoying my neighbors with my bad music.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cool Dad posted:

Re: Why the Quest 2 is successful, it's the price. Even if you make a headset that has the same features, if you can't sell it for 400 dollars you're not going to be competing seriously with the Quest.

Price is a factor, I think below $400 is the feasible area, but I really don't think it's *just* price. The form factor and ease of use are also incredibly important, and the Quest just absolutely blows everything else out of the water in that respect

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The sub $400 is very important, though.
I know quite a few people with kids that want to get VR but the price is juuuuuust too high.

If anyone pushes a $300 system the honestly competes with the Q2, they will dominate the market, even if it has to be a loss leader for a while.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Reek posted:

I'm playing hl:alyx with my quest 2 with airlink + sony wf1000xm3 bluetooth earbuds. It's immersive as hell.
The earbuds are paired with bt to the pc. If paired to the quest, piping the sound through the oculus virtual sound card and then BT causes the sound to get delayed. With air link for video + bt for audio I cant detect a mismatch in delay.
I pair them to the quest if I play quest native games.

But, I'm glad I'm alone in my apartment because I can see you not hearing anything from your surroundings can lead to trouble. I'm not sure if the experimental new obstacle detection in the quest overrides steamvr games.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have wireless over the ear headphones I use with my PC, so I do the same. If I'm playing PCVR, I disable audio passthrough in Virtual Desktop and use my headphones in the normal wireless mode. If I'm playing something on the quest, my headset has an aux jack so I just plug into the headset. I wish the bluetooth audio on the Quest wasn't so delayed, I'd like to use my earbuds when playing something on the quest natively but it's real bad.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally got my perscription so I can order my VR lenses. Is there a consensus prefered place to order from? I am seeing VR Optician, VR Lens Lab, WidmoVR, and VR Wave mentioned in the thread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oh Superhot VR just kind of ends unexpectedly soon huh

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh Superhot VR just kind of ends unexpectedly soon huh

Make sure you check out the Endless modes, they're the real game IMO.

(but there are still not nearly enough - hope those devs are working on something BIG - it's been 5 years now and SH was barely supported post launch.)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Make sure you check out the Endless modes, they're the real game IMO.

(but there are still not nearly enough - hope those devs are working on something BIG - it's been 5 years now and SH was barely supported post launch.)

Given how well is selling even without support, I don't know if they are getting the right message :|

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

forest spirit posted:

I call bullshit risk of rain 2 VR is my 2021 GOTY

sidestepping is not necessary at ALL!

yeah for most of these rhythm games you can more or less keep your feet planted in a wider stance and use your upper body to dodge, and for the love of god squat and don't just bend forward when you need to go low. Keeping a steady stance prevents you from doing these tiny fitful crab walking sidesteps where you overcorrect and then try to strafe back to the centre then undercorrect and now your two feet forward from your center....

if you knew all of this then cool. but yeah when you're more comfortable playing the game, then work in extra body movements like dancing. I dance to all of the songs I'm playing because it's more fun and active but I sure as hell didn't start dancing

..i've seen a lot of people play rhythm games in VR

Oh yeah, I just have the same preference for movement because it feels more natural to me. I feel awkward standing in one place and just moving my head to dodge. What would probably help is actually pulling my chair mat out to play on as a tactile reference for 'center.'

But if I don't dance in a rhythm game everything feels wrong.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay, from what I am seeing VROptician is the best, but WidmoVR is still good and ships faster, so I think I will go with WidmoVR for now.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
On PC VR (Valve Index) games like Demeo show a full screen view of what I am seeing in VR on my PC monitor.

How do I turn this off?

(This is not the same as Steam VR's "Display VR View" setting, which I have confirmed is off.)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think something that might (might) work would be a standalone VR headset that's like $300 for the base unit but it's modular. You get it as cheap as $300, or add a couple of hundred for a sharper screen and faster processor, then have optional add-ons like body tracking and make it compatible with lightboxes if you want to swap out the controllers, etc. That way your average consumer can just put down $300 and get something comparable to a Quest without all the Facebook Meta crap, and everybody else can get the slightly-more expensive version and the add-ons too if they want.

A big part of it though is that companies that can afford to take a loss on hardware aren't willing to lose any amount of money even if they gain something in the long term, and smaller simply can't afford to take the loss.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Finally got my perscription so I can order my VR lenses. Is there a consensus prefered place to order from? I am seeing VR Optician, VR Lens Lab, WidmoVR, and VR Wave mentioned in the thread.

I got mine from Reloptix and aside from holiday shipping delays they’re fantastic and $80 flat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

The sub $400 is very important, though.
I know quite a few people with kids that want to get VR but the price is juuuuuust too high.

If anyone pushes a $300 system the honestly competes with the Q2, they will dominate the market, even if it has to be a loss leader for a while.

Honestly I think the quest being priced like a console goes a long long way. People will pay $300 for a switch and more for the ps5 and xbone X.

It does a ton to shed the perception that VR requires a $3500 gaming PC to use, even though that hasn’t been true for a very long time, the stigma remains.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got my hands on a vive deluxe audio strap and, with the help of some 3D-printed adapters, converted my Quest to use the DAS.

The DAS is comfy but gat dang I am baffled as to how people tolerate having the DAS speakers touching and pressing on their ears. I find it super irritating and -- unlike the baked-in Quest audio or the Index off-ear speakers -- it is not friendly to hearing aids at all. The audio quality and volume, to me, aren't even better than the stock Quest sound (but that's probably the hearing aid part.)

Even without the hearing aids factor it absolutely boggles my mind that people not only tolerate this design of flat hard plastic things pressed flat on their ears, but even actually like it :psyduck:

The strap is comfy, but seeing as the audio part is a huge miss for me I'd have been better off with a KIWI strap or something.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Eyes Have It posted:

I finally got my hands on a vive deluxe audio strap and, with the help of some 3D-printed adapters, converted my Quest to use the DAS.

The DAS is comfy but gat dang I am baffled as to how people tolerate having the DAS speakers touching and pressing on their ears. I find it super irritating and -- unlike the baked-in Quest audio or the Index off-ear speakers -- it is not friendly to hearing aids at all. The audio quality and volume, to me, aren't even better than the stock Quest sound (but that's probably the hearing aid part.)

Even without the hearing aids factor it absolutely boggles my mind that people not only tolerate this design of flat hard plastic things pressed flat on their ears, but even actually like it :psyduck:

The strap is comfy, but seeing as the audio part is a huge miss for me I'd have been better off with a KIWI strap or something.

Yeah when I had the Reverb G2 I greatly enjoyed the speakers on that. I got the DAS after I returned the G2 to use on the Quest 2 and it did take some tweaking to have a decent fit but yeah my ears get warm after some time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So is Cooking Simulator VR not good then?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Eyes Have It posted:

There should be padded covers..?

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Inzombiac posted:

I was playing Pavlov yesterday and this kid had a voice changer that made him sound like an adult but it kept cutting out.

They weren't being annoying so I found it precious :3

I tried Pavlov for the first time last night and it was the first free movement fps I've really played on Quest. It was surprisingly cool. I hadn't done any of the tutorials and couldn't figure out how to stand (I think it's a standing game only basically) so I was crunch walking everywhere.

The weird/amazing part was having these 10 year olds come up to me in VR and just start jabbering in my face with no regard to who or how old I was. Astutely a kid was like, "are you a 40 year old lady?" and I'm just like lol, close enough. Then he proceeded to show off how he can take my grenade and pull the pin and run into enemy fire, screaming "Allahu Ackbar".

So absolutely strange, but it's just so cool how people interact with you when they don't know who the fuvk you are. I'm gonna close out this post with my customary pls add, tall_cat_lette on quest

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Walrus posted:

There should be padded covers..?

:lol: I totally missed that. Yeah there are pads, I think OP got a used strap or something.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The DAS pads are really hard to remove, that's nuts. I can't imagine not having them. I find them comfortable, because the tension is strong enough that when I place it where it doesn't apply any actual pressure it stays there.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Actually, that's my mistake. The DAS earphones are indeed covered with a mushy pleather, and are not hard. My issue is a hearing aids thing and not the fault of the DAS really.

The DAS earphones are made to be held up against one's ears (which I do not like) but in my case my issue is really that because I wear hearing aids, having something pushing those against my ears in the process makes it all feel awful. I do feel dumb for getting what was happening wrong.

The default Quest audio and the Index off-ear audio friendliness to hearing aids is easy to take for granted :downs:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh that makes total sense actually. There’s probably some other options for a similar effect I would bet.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So lately Alyx has been weirdly laggy, even though it ran flawlessly at max settings when I first got it - weirdly it seems to correlate with saving? Anyway, when I last ran it it was lagging and stuttering a lot, I was encountering weird FOV problems, etc and eventually I quit. When I went back into my office like forty minutes later I realized my computer was absolutely roaring, the fans on my card were blasting and everything was super slow. I didn’t see anything weird in the task manager so I just restarted the computer and everything was fine, but has anyone encountered anything like that with Alyx specifically? Its also just so weirdly out of nowhere after it ran so well initially.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I tried Pavlov for the first time last night and it was the first free movement fps I've really played on Quest. It was surprisingly cool. I hadn't done any of the tutorials and couldn't figure out how to stand (I think it's a standing game only basically) so I was crunch walking everywhere.

The weird/amazing part was having these 10 year olds come up to me in VR and just start jabbering in my face with no regard to who or how old I was. Astutely a kid was like, "are you a 40 year old lady?" and I'm just like lol, close enough. Then he proceeded to show off how he can take my grenade and pull the pin and run into enemy fire, screaming "Allahu Ackbar".

So absolutely strange, but it's just so cool how people interact with you when they don't know who the fuvk you are. I'm gonna close out this post with my customary pls add, tall_cat_lette on quest

Unfortunately it is a standing-only affair which sucks for the obvious accessibility issues but also I'm a big gay baby and my knees hurt!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Frog Act posted:

So lately Alyx has been weirdly laggy, even though it ran flawlessly at max settings when I first got it - weirdly it seems to correlate with saving? Anyway, when I last ran it it was lagging and stuttering a lot, I was encountering weird FOV problems, etc and eventually I quit. When I went back into my office like forty minutes later I realized my computer was absolutely roaring, the fans on my card were blasting and everything was super slow. I didn’t see anything weird in the task manager so I just restarted the computer and everything was fine, but has anyone encountered anything like that with Alyx specifically? Its also just so weirdly out of nowhere after it ran so well initially.

This is kinda basic but have you lowered the per-eye resolution in the SteamVR menu? Even going down to 80% can help a lot.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've got some extra cash and I was looking at the Quest 2 but I have a issue that I'd like to get some opinions on. From what I've read the max PD that the Quest 2 can adjust to is 68-69. My PD is 71, how much of an issue is that going to cause. I also have some issues with getting headaches when wearing 3d glasses at places like Disneyland, should I be concerned that the same thing would happen with a headset?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Shameless plug for my Index that's for sale. Can't play due to new house and medical issues, but headset is brand new in box.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989575

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

Actually, that's my mistake. The DAS earphones are indeed covered with a mushy pleather, and are not hard. My issue is a hearing aids thing and not the fault of the DAS really.

The DAS earphones are made to be held up against one's ears (which I do not like) but in my case my issue is really that because I wear hearing aids, having something pushing those against my ears in the process makes it all feel awful. I do feel dumb for getting what was happening wrong.

The default Quest audio and the Index off-ear audio friendliness to hearing aids is easy to take for granted :downs:

Take a look at Rebuff Reality's VR Ears for a potential solution. It's basically a third-party standalone version of the Index's Off-ear speakers that clip on to just about any VR headset and connect via USB or 3.5mm jack. I've been nothing but happy with mine.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

After a little over a year of having my headset I still feel a bit weird about prepping for a VR session like I'm about to go on a long car ride: gotta have a drink, gotta thoroughly use the bathroom, gotta secure my ridiculously long hair, gotta make sure everything is fueled (charged) and ready to go. Sometimes the effort keeps me from enjoying a session because I can't be assed to do all of it. Is this a pretty common behavior among you guys? At least I don't have lighthouses to setup.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lozareth posted:

After a little over a year of having my headset I still feel a bit weird about prepping for a VR session like I'm about to go on a long car ride: gotta have a drink, gotta thoroughly use the bathroom, gotta secure my ridiculously long hair, gotta make sure everything is fueled (charged) and ready to go. Sometimes the effort keeps me from enjoying a session because I can't be assed to do all of it. Is this a pretty common behavior among you guys? At least I don't have lighthouses to setup.

Yes. So many times I’ve said to myself “I should play some RE4” and just don’t based on the time commitment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Lozareth posted:

Yeah, pretty much the same with me. And I wear contacts so if it's the evening after work and I'm feeling particularly dry-eyed then I can't do VR. I've gotten to the point now though where I'll get up sometimes and put in my contacts and do some physical stuff in VR before I shower. If I look at it like exercising, then I'm more apt to put in the effort. It always feels like a commitment though, since I know I'm going to be strapped into this thing for up to 2 or 3 hours.

Pre-activity friction is a problem for a lot of people for a lot of things though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lozareth posted:

Lighthouses aren't a thing you have to set up every time; You put them in place ONCE and leave them there. Once they're in place getting set up for VR is no different than an inside-out tracked headset. Honestly we could probably do with a clarification of this somewhere in the OP, considering how often it comes up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Lighthouse setup was just me drilling some holes in my wall, pointing them down and towards the center of my play space, then doing the initial setup and them just working from that point on.

The only issue with lighthouses is that once they're up you can't set poo poo in front of them without them loving up, and I guess if you ever have to move them to a new location you need to re-calibrate them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

diremonk posted:

I've got some extra cash and I was looking at the Quest 2 but I have a issue that I'd like to get some opinions on. From what I've read the max PD that the Quest 2 can adjust to is 68-69. My PD is 71, how much of an issue is that going to cause. I also have some issues with getting headaches when wearing 3d glasses at places like Disneyland, should I be concerned that the same thing would happen with a headset?

I have the same issue with 3D glasses and VR has never been an issue for me.

I'm also a freak that is immune to motion sickness and the like, so YMMV.

On the topic of lighthouses, what's the max range on them? My office is in a converted garage with PC and current VR in the corner. Do they need 4 different angles or what?

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
What are some other good seated games? I don't have a lot of space right now and mostly play at my desk. I have I Expect You To Die and love that. I own Moss but haven't dove in yet. I got Archangel: Hellfire in a bundle but it seems the single player is borked and the multi is dead. I loved Subnautica 2d so I think I might start a vr replay.

Mostly looking for full on singleplayer games that don't require too much horizontal movement, but I'll take reqs for sims, puzzle games, and whatever else ya got.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

I have the same issue with 3D glasses and VR has never been an issue for me.

I'm also a freak that is immune to motion sickness and the like, so YMMV.

On the topic of lighthouses, what's the max range on them? My office is in a converted garage with PC and current VR in the corner. Do they need 4 different angles or what?

It's something like 5 meters apart facing eachother for two of them, but I believe you can fudge a bit more playspace out if you use more than two 2.0 lighthouses.

The general setup is to place two lighthouses facing eachother up above head-height bat opposing diagonal corners of a square playspace and angled downwards a bit so they fill the playspace with their IR light.

Reek posted:

What are some other good seated games? I don't have a lot of space right now and mostly play at my desk. I have I Expect You To Die and love that. I own Moss but haven't dove in yet. I got Archangel: Hellfire in a bundle but it seems the single player is borked and the multi is dead. I loved Subnautica 2d so I think I might start a vr replay.

Mostly looking for full on singleplayer games that don't require too much horizontal movement, but I'll take reqs for sims, puzzle games, and whatever else ya got.

I Expect you To Die 2 is well worth a play if you liked the first game. Elite Dangerous also has an excellent VR mode for space trucking fun, and Star Trek: Bridge Crew is well worth a look too.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

This is kinda basic but have you lowered the per-eye resolution in the SteamVR menu? Even going down to 80% can help a lot.

I’ll give this is a try, it’s just so strange the performance has suddenly tanked. I wonder if it’s the new nvidia drivers or something