Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rah! posted:

lol if u look at that thread, theyre really mad about this thread

they're mad about cspam in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

why is she still posting

Monica Ghandi-Chise dream team

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DirtyRobot posted:

I think the 1-1.5% number is true more broadly but not for this study, since this study is only looking at hospital admissions. So it's not a true CFR because they're only looking at the fatality rate within a subset of cases, i.e., those requiring hospitalization.

I was also wrong in terms of what mapped over to what, and I confused ICU admissions with deaths. The fatality rate is 4.5% of hospital admissions. They looked at 466 admissions and had 21 deaths = 4.5%.

To be clear, though, I'm not endorsing the study or saying it's cause for celebration.

the old classic approximation was a 1% fatality rate for cases, and a 10% fatality rate for hospitalizations, so an observed 5% rate in hospitalizations matches up with a halving of disease severity in omicron that has been the driving force behind the "mild" propaganda.

it's still extraordinarily bad, especially since we have no idea what the long term chronic effects are of the new variant, what the effect is on children, and now we have like ten times the number of cases.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/crumbbutler/status/1477998738354409475

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Palmtree Panic posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1478072518829391872

Google searches are declining for covid symptoms. Covid is over baby. The data proves it.

Suck n gently caress is on at the Times Square Applebee's.

Nate numbers guy spent the entire day trying to find any graph that suggests things are better and this is the only thing he found. Not good!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So I got a pack of air queens to try them out and they seem like total poo poo? Like leaking air like a surgical poo poo.
I thought they were supposed to be decent?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

this works just about for anywhere:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYOj1IrBxr7/

Iverron
May 13, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

I think the 1-1.5% number is true more broadly but not for this study, since this study is only looking at hospital admissions. So it's not a true CFR because they're only looking at the fatality rate within a subset of cases, i.e., those requiring hospitalization.

I was also wrong in terms of what mapped over to what, and I confused ICU admissions with deaths. The fatality rate is 4.5% of hospital admissions. They looked at 466 admissions and had 21 deaths = 4.5%.

To be clear, though, I'm not endorsing the study or saying it's cause for celebration. edit: like I agree with the stuff about what the broader CFRs miss with delayed deaths (e.g., that insurance tweet from a few pages back) as well as all the bad poo poo that'll happen when hospitals become increasingly understaffed

58% < 40 lol

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

CommanderApaul posted:

Just got an email that 5% of the staff of our middle school are under self-quarantine for positive tests.

The nice thing is that 5% will be back to work in 5 days

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

heh.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fascist leaders sure are full of poo poo, aren't they?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My adhd rx got filled finally, I'm glad the system hasn't completely collapsed yet :toot:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Stereotype posted:

yeah my parents hate it when I say I’m learning mandarin and moving to China because capitalism is a horrific death cult that I want no part of.

tbf tonal languages are bullshi

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Again????

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Relevant Tangent posted:

tbf tonal languages are bullshi

take that back!!!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

synapse posted:

Nate numbers guy spent the entire day trying to find any graph that suggests things are better and this is the only thing he found. Not good!

I'm numbers guy too.
I have no clue what this means.
What occurred in 2014?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Man I can’t wait for covid to liquify my organs. Feels like freedom

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
about four days ago my dad couldn't even stand and didn't leave bed for two full days. it was pretty loving scary

now he is back to being on his feet and acting extraordinarily grumpy and annoying.

mild!!

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Pink Mist posted:

Man I can’t wait for covid to liquify my organs. Feels like freedom
My insides safely being disintegrated into a mild slurry

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I will stop posting Monica Gandhi embedded tweets out of fear of being prosecuted for material support for terrorism

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I'm already a moron, I really don't want to lose more brain cells.

But I feel like it's inevitable if I keep going to work in person.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The soonest pcr test I could get was two days out at one of the big state-run sites. All the pharmacies are booked up for a week, urgent care testing sites were also all booked up for at least 3 days and half of them just said they weren't taking any more appointments, try again later! This is in Denver

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

lol my clinic turned away a 15yo from a booster today bc the CDC hasn't approved it.

Joementum posted:

should have done this months ago and now they’re panicking

https://twitter.com/lauriemcginley2/status/1478015909117796354

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Joementum posted:

decided to pop open the money app to check on my stonks and lmao

:yooge: The Failing China

for real though they're gonna start airdropping the covid-soaked corpses of applebees patrons on Beijing by the end of the year

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

I will stop posting Monica Gandhi embedded tweets out of fear of being prosecuted for material support for terrorism

I stopped reading them a while ago, I don't have a problem with you posting them personally but I just scroll past without reading a word at this point. (I don't mean this aggro towards you, I just mean to say that I have totally stopped so much as allowing a single word of what she has to say to enter my brain anymore)

same with chise. I know what their position is, it's going to be whatever they can think of to say to encourage people to be less safe about covid.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Casey Finnigan posted:

about four days ago my dad couldn't even stand and didn't leave bed for two full days. it was pretty loving scary

now he is back to being on his feet and acting extraordinarily grumpy and annoying.

mild!!

for the next few months you should be on the lookout for any symptoms of a blood clot (pain in his extremities, sudden shortness of breath, stroke symptoms)

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Failson posted:

I'm already a moron, I really don't want to lose more brain cells.

But I feel like it's inevitable if I keep going to work in person.

in the united states, at a population level, this effect will be negligible imo. can't get dumber than we already are

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Remember when trump argued that it would disappear like magic when biden won bc it was a Democrat hoax

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Remember when trump argued that it would disappear like magic when biden won bc it was a Democrat hoax

he was right

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Coldrice posted:

The nice thing is that 5% will be back to work in 5 days

We got a phone call yesterday reminding us that when school is back in session tomorrow, masks are optional for K-6 (already optional for 7-12), as well as for staff. Still required on busses. Gonna be a shitton more than 5% by the end of the week.

LMAO.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Casey Finnigan posted:

in the united states, at a population level, this effect will be negligible imo. can't get dumber than we already are

buddy, you have no idea how dumb we can get

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao, didn't the good doctor goatse tell us that they had around a 20% fatality rate in the last wave. Of course everyone was on oxygen.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

tbh greenwald isn't wrong about everything. In fact in a lot of cases he is right. But glenn purposefully courts rightwing extremists and says things that will make them happy because that is the majority of his audience now. everything he has to say about covid is strictly anti-lockdowns, anti-masking, anti-vaxx, at all times. He tries to paint it as being something else but he never, ever ever posts anything about covid that isn't strictly in support of those viewpoints. About non covid topics he's frequently correct

i dunno when glenn was defending/talking up michael traceys sex life that was p funny

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I only remember when Elon Musk said it would be over in April 2020

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shifty Nipples posted:

My adhd rx got filled finally, I'm glad the system hasn't completely collapsed yet :toot:

sorry about your productivity lol

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

attempted murder

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

:prepop:

I went grocery shopping yesterday. My local supermarket wasn't able to get their security grille raised so instead had one small fire exit propped open. There was a big crowd of people all jammed together trying to get in, with another crowd jammed together trying to leave with their shopping.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
In the emergency triage line to get diagnosed for a slipped disc. There are no wheelchairs left. The line extends into a different wing of the hospital.

They let me wear the surgical mask on top of my kf94.

If I don't make it, tell my loved ones covid is over

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

biden also believed this was true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

I stopped reading them a while ago, I don't have a problem with you posting them personally but I just scroll past without reading a word at this point. (I don't mean this aggro towards you, I just mean to say that I have totally stopped so much as allowing a single word of what she has to say to enter my brain anymore)

same with chise. I know what their position is, it's going to be whatever they can think of to say to encourage people to be less safe about covid.

Those twitters are like busy intersections where you're just waiting for a car accident to happen.

"Chise still saying only vaccines are needed. -Got it."
"Gandhi is saying kids should return to school. -Got it."

Well. We're still on the suck and gently caress path.