Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Holy poo poo they really jacked up the power level of that game since I last played. It's like the opposite trajectory of where Magic went.

Like even in magic if they made a instant/Sorcery subtype that restricted you to one of them total per round, printing walk/twister/recall/wheel/etc. with that restriction would still make them way too powerful for any format but vintage.

Remember how beefy 120 HP Charizard and Chansey were?

They broke 300 HP 3 years ago and attacks routinely deal 200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sick, I have a bunch of walls I need to cover here, did you order that from somewhere or just find a HQ source of the art and get it printed professionally?

If you or anyone wants Magic art, prints, cards autographed, or even original Magic art, I got the hook-ups. PM me!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Unless things have changed even more radically since I played, cards are also just less valuable in pokemon than magic or ygo since there isn't combo proper. No matter how much of your deck you churn through you only get your one attack per turn, and you need to use resources to get more than one energy attach per turn (though I don't know how common/popular such things are). Now, the pokemon themselves these days have powercrept the early mons to an absurd degree, but I'm so lacking in context on modern cards that I don't know which are actually good to be posting examples of.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Holy poo poo they really jacked up the power level of that game since I last played. It's like the opposite trajectory of where Magic went.

Like even in magic if they made a instant/Sorcery subtype that restricted you to one of them total per round, printing walk/twister/recall/wheel/etc. with that restriction would still make them way too powerful for any format but vintage.
That's the thing about Pokemon, three power creep is such that you basically get wheel of fortune, explore, demonic tutor all for free but you're limited to just one attack a turn so you basically get to do any thing you want and then your opponent gets to untap and do it all to you.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah Pokemon power doesn't work the same way as other games, and it's similar to how ANR needs actions for things that you'd think are powerful in Magic but aren't actually that powerful due to actions being a tight resource. In a lot of ways Pokemon is much more skill testing than other card games because you will see and be able to tutor for any cards in your entire deck like 4 times over every game and it's impossible to win a game in under 5 turns or so in normal situations. Cards that are severe card disadvantage are actually extremely strong (like a tutor that makes you discard 2 cards to play it is so overpowered that it's an Ace card, where you're only allowed 1 Ace card in your entire deck).

Of course there's other things that artificially add randomness to the game to get some of that back in obnoxious ways, like a lot of attacks and cards that make you flip a coin. The worst designed example is probably a card that I'm not sure was actually played in serious decks but it was a non-supporter trainer (free action with no limit) that said flip a coin, if heads draw 3 cards if tails do nothing. It's similar to Hearthstone where at face value the game should be incredibly skill testing and non random compared to Magic, but then every effect has some randomness in it that kills a lot of the competitiveness.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I remember playing OG pokemon with a magic mindset and realizing Bill, Oak, and the "spells" were busted. Also evolutions were mostly a trap. I destroyed a few tournaments at GenCon one year with a deck where my dudes were Hitmonchan, Farfetch'd, and Jiggy/Wigglytuff. The rest of the deck was energy and spells.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can play Pokemon to the bench to draw until you have 7 in hand without once per turn restrictions like the draw 3s all have.

Pokemon card draw is crazy

E:

Like look at this poo poo

This card was so broken they changed the rules so that you couldn’t use a trainer card on the first turn

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's still funny to me that YuGiOh and Pokemon both screwed themselves over early by making a major subset of cards free-to-play. Gotta get those cost systems in.

Hadn't heard of Welder, but it's especially funny that the extra 'cost' of that card is also a bonus thing that accelerates you two turns. In MTG terms this is like a 0 cost spell that reads:

"Add RR. If you do, draw three cards."

Love it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 3, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
More like "put two basic mountains from your hand into play". Which is a cost of sorts because it requires to have them in hand somehow, but if you do meet that condition then it accelerates you massively.

(In pokemon that card is played alongside

which solves that problem while also giving you even more card advantage!)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fair. And lol, at least it gives each player the option so it's clearly balanced.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's a lot metallurgy involved in what amounts to a fantasy cockfighting league.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How is some dude's fireplace a pokemon stadium

I have severe concerns about the lore.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

How is some dude's fireplace a pokemon stadium

I have severe concerns about the lore.

Whoa

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Given that the pokeball on the floor is usually the arena proper, those tables are like 10+ feet tall.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 3, 2022

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Given that the pokeball on the floor is usually the arena proper, those tables are like 10+ feet tall.

Well, it is called the GIANT Hearth, not the Average Size Hearth.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Playing Pokemon TCG feels so weird compared to MtG. Everything feels so extremely powerful, but it's balanced by the fact that your opponent is just as capable as you are of doing busted stuff.

It feels good to draw so many cards so easily though, that's for sure. It's so easy that the Supporters that draw you three cards are bad. Meanwhile an Ancestral Recall that costs 0 to play but can only be played once per turn would be utterly game-breaking in Magic.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

That's a wonderful card. Of course it'll be impossible to get here. :smith:

:sigh:

I hate it when I'm right.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Assuming these are real, the power level of the land is extremely hard to evaluate. Also what's up with the set number of Eiganjo Uprising?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Land is good in a format without blood moon, not sure how it will do in modern and legacy. I think Death and Taxes probably doesn't want it but I could be wrong.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

neaden posted:

Land is good in a format without blood moon, not sure how it will do in modern and legacy. I think Death and Taxes probably doesn't want it but I could be wrong.

Blood moon doesn't do anything to cards in hand.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Assuming these are real, the power level of the land is extremely hard to evaluate. Also what's up with the set number of Eiganjo Uprising?

Full art/whatever promo cards have higher collector numbers, here's all the Olivia in vow https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=%21%22Olivia%2C+Crimson+Bride%22+include%3Aextras&unique=prints

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Mass token generation is something kinda new for W/R, isn't it? That's traditionally more of a W/G thing right?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

orangelex44 posted:

Mass token generation is something kinda new for W/R, isn't it? That's traditionally more of a W/G thing right?

Not really. Assemble the Legion is a good example of a WR token generator. It is more likely WG but yeah.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

orangelex44 posted:

Depends on how you define "mass". IIRC Boros gets stuff like Heroic Reinforcements fairly often but this one is more flexible than that but very weird.

If you left off the symmetrical token making it would be nuts.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Blood moon doesn't do anything to cards in hand.

Yeah but you'll be playing this as a land most of the time, the question is if it's worth replacing a plains for this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

neaden posted:

Yeah but you'll be playing this as a land most of the time, the question is if it's worth replacing a plains for this.

100% yes. Its not even close. Its a rad card and I hope more show up like it. Imagine this in black with an edict.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah there's virtually no trajectory for Standard or Historic where you don't replace at least one plains with one of these (and likewise for the rest of the cycle unless their effects are truly terrible). The question is when do you play more than one? I could see playing 2 sometimes in a two color deck and maybe 3 in a monowhite deck. But even with the channel effect, getting multiples is pretty dicey because you want the option to play it as a land in most cases.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The first copy you put in your deck is almost completely free. Think of this like Oboro, Palace in the Clouds , but actually useful more than once a lifetime. This doesn't replace a single planes in your deck that you normally fetch for, single and two color decks can get away with a copy of this card very easily.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So if it's a cycle (which it might be, we've seen a leak for the black one) then that doesn't hurt the red one, and also Ragavan is red and legendary.
If you're wondering if you play them in Modern look at Shinka and Shizo seeing play in RB Lurrus/Rag/Kroxa decks. So if these channel effects are better than the RT: First Strike, or BT: Fear.
Minamo and Eiganjo also see fringe play in moden. Minamo in the "U + Boil" manabases, which haven't really been a thing since Sactuary was banned and being boilproof stopped mattering.
Mono white has never been good so Eiganjo was never more than a gimmick.
IMO the channel effect is there to encourage you to play multiples. SO in standard/Historic you play at least 2 if you play any at all.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

HootTheOwl posted:

So if it's a cycle (which it might be, we've seen a leak for the black one) then that doesn't hurt the red one, and also Ragavan is red and legendary.
If you're wondering if you play them in Modern look at Shinka and Shizo seeing play in RB Lurrus/Rag/Kroxa decks. So if these channel effects are better than the RT: First Strike, or BT: Fear.
Minamo and Eiganjo also see fringe play in moden. Minamo in the "U + Boil" manabases, which haven't really been a thing since Sactuary was banned and being boilproof stopped mattering.
Mono white has never been good so Eiganjo was never more than a gimmick.
IMO the channel effect is there to encourage you to play multiples. SO in standard/Historic you play at least 2 if you play any at all.

What was the black one then?

And yeah card is dope. Can see two going into decks easily, but not sure about more.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

These are so much better than the vast majority of the MDFC lands from Zendikar which saw a shitload of standard play.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bugsy posted:

What was the black one then?

And yeah card is dope. Can see two going into decks easily, but not sure about more.

Takenuma, Abandoned Mire

Channel, 3B: Mill 3 then return a creature or PW from GY to hand
It was in the same leak as the new Horobi, which is the back-side of ...something. (O-Kagachi being the back-side of a saga suggests it also is a saga)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cedric and PSully split from SCG, I guess SCG isn't looking to do much coverage for the foreseeable future.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cedric and PSully split from SCG, I guess SCG isn't looking to do much coverage for the foreseeable future.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sru0rt

Most importantly, Resleevables podcast is still gonna happen. Cedric is moving to Denver and once he gets settled in, they'll start recording again.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

The first copy is a better Plains except for being nonbasic and nontyped, the second can gently caress up your curve. 1 is going to be the most common amount of these played. It's Channel which works with 1 copy not Grandeur which requires multiple (and if it was Grandeur, the ability would have to be better).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

orangelex44 posted:

It goes back to at least Apocalypse with Goblin Trenches

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hopefully they get brought in for coverage elsewhere if paper really gets going again

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lone Goat posted:

Most importantly, Resleevables podcast is still gonna happen. Cedric is moving to Denver and once he gets settled in, they'll start recording again.

Was wondering what was going happen as the last resleeveables was thanksgiving-ish, and no new recurring insight since then either.

Here is ced's thing.
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sru0q6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

drat sad, scg coverage got me really invested in mtg when i started playing. But im happy hes doing what he wants