Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: people who learn my girlfriend is russian and start making very original and respectful jokes about mail order brides and/or angry political bots.

Russian people are just boring people like everyone else. I didn't pay to fall in love and she isn't on the GRU payroll. Just shut up. Zaktnis rear end in a top hat.

I worked with a Russian woman who would occasionally reference her mobster uncles in a nearby big city. After a few months, she told me she made them up to stop the mail order bride jokes. Fighting stereotypes with other stereotypes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In mother Russia, stereo types you

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Tiggum posted:

Somehow being the only person in the house who can hear the difference between the proper speakers and the lovely one built into the TV. It sounds loving awful. How do you not hear it? How? Why are you listening to music through the TV when you have literally any other option?

This, but when people are watching stuff in SD and it's available in HD.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
And it's stuff that's cropped to 4:3 but then stretched out to 16:9 and they can't see it even after you point it out.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And act like you're a precious cineaste for even caring.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who schedule meetings for like an hour, then feel the need to extend it even though the meeting's issues are resolved in like 15 minutes. WHY.

I used to work at a company that had a mandatory Monday meeting of well over an hour, another meeting daily at 4:00pm also mandatory. Also, we had a mandatory meeting on Tuesdays that lasted over an hour. Then a mandatory training on Wednesday that was usually 2 hours. Then, on Fridays, we had to do a SCRUM session as a stand-up meeting where nothing got resolved. Don't forget, I had other meetings throughout the day with development, operations, C level management, VP of sales, huddle-up sessions with my staff. Additional meetings with one or more of my 5 bosses..

I was a frickin' department head. I had a call center to run, I had change-management issues to deal with. I had to support implementation when they f'd up something on site. I had to cover overflow from the other call center.

And there I am in yet another meeting about how the softward doesn't work and no-one cares.

Meetings are death. A 5 minute phone call is all one needs. 5 minutes on the phone, then an email follow up. We're done and I can go back to work.

PCI/PA-DSS training every Wednesday. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I passed the test but not from the training. It's super-self explanatory and most of the training is the trainer trying to figure out the projector.

I really hate meetings. Let's keep it on the phone and make it quick. Then email with details.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

How the hell is poo poo like dead pixels / spots on the screen something that still passes through QA? Especially with higher end monitors and the like. God forbid a person look at a screen for 5 seconds to see if there's an issue with it, and not ok it if there is.
It's somehow fitting that after a bunch of cheap monitors and never having any issues, the moment I buy myself a more expensive one it shows up with a black spot the size of 3-4 pixels. :nallears:

Sigh, atleast this'll work as a way to trial the monitor to see if I like it before returning it next year. But it's still really goddamn annoying.
(It's not actually dead pixels or anything, but rather a hole or some kind of damage to the backlight? Or maybe even some dust on the inside of the glass.
It's a pretty weird defect, and moves around when you move around. The actual pixels are still alright. But thankfully I can just return it instead of trying to do an annoying RMA process.)

e: turns out that some black dust from the factory getting stuck under the glass is something a bunch of others have experienced as well.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Dec 31, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I guess I've always assumed that dead pixels were more of an artifact of the shipping process. I only worked a few days at a shipping warehouse, but it was long enough to make me wonder how anything gets anywhere in one piece. Because I watched literally every kind of box you can imagine get loving flung at high speed with zero fucks given by anyone all day every day. Fragile? This side up? Don't stack? "LOL!"

Not the employee's fault, either, it was just the unrelenting breakneck pace made it impossible to handle anything any other way than 'as fast as possible'. And this was PRE hell world.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

'your FedEx shipment centre is [way the gently caress across town]'
OK but I just got off a cross country flight I really shouldn't go out
'OK we can reattempt delivery! What's your buzz code'
My landlord won't give me one. Can you phone me to come down to the lobby
'sorry none of our delivery men have company phones'
OK can you leave it in the airlock and mark it delivered so I get an email
'no, company policy is we don't leave packages unattended'

I'm literally asking you to risk my poo poo for me, if I ask please just do it. I don't want to go across town spreading poo poo everywhere!! I don't have a car I rely on transit!!

Tho we recently changed property management companies so maybe these guys will be less dickish about the buzz codes (doubt)

e: and despite all this... fedex just reattempted the delivery anyway and at an hour i was actually awake for

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Dec 31, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

How the hell is poo poo like dead pixels / spots on the screen something that still passes through QA? Especially with higher end monitors and the like. God forbid a person look at a screen for 5 seconds to see if there's an issue with it, and not ok it if there is.
It's somehow fitting that after a bunch of cheap monitors and never having any issues, the moment I buy myself a more expensive one it shows up with a black spot the size of 3-4 pixels. :nallears:

Sigh, atleast this'll work as a way to trial the monitor to see if I like it before returning it next year. But it's still really goddamn annoying.
(It's not actually dead pixels or anything, but rather a hole or some kind of damage to the backlight? Or maybe even some dust on the inside of the glass.
It's a pretty weird defect, and moves around when you move around. The actual pixels are still alright. But thankfully I can just return it instead of trying to do an annoying RMA process.)

e: turns out that some black dust from the factory getting stuck under the glass is something a bunch of others have experienced as well.

Being more strict about the quality would increase the yield loss they have significantly and most people don't bother with unless it's a really bad case so it's cheaper to just let them through.

(and in some cases it's a genuine qa mistake as well, those happen everywhere)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Annoyed that the family upstairs is both physically active *and* allergic to going outdoors. A very lovely park runs right up to our back door, and there's acres of hills, walkways, and fields to play in, and it's currently a winter wonderland blanketed by 4 inches of fresh snow, but what are they doing? Playing basketball on a hardwood floor three feet above my head.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Every snow shovel handle is too short. I'm like 10th percentile height and it's still uncomfortable. How do average adult males use these at all? Making it longer can't be that hard. How does anyone involved in the production of this product not think "wow we hosed up"?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hot chocolate made with actual solid pieces of chocolate. It never comes out right; you wind up with a mug of milk with lumps of chocolate at the bottom, which, while delicious, isn't exactly hot chocolate. I used to be suckered by chocolate-dipped spoons and chocolate-covered marshmallows on stir sticks, but realized they just didn't work and never bought another. But my mom got a set of those melting chocolate ornaments for my kid for Christmas, which work exactly as expected: poorly. The whole concept is stupid and doesn't work, and I wish companies would stop pushing it. Unless we're doing it wrong, in which case I welcome suggestions for making it work!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh yeah, my kid got a few "cocoa bombs" for Christmas and they're basically a layer of cheap chocolate liquor sludge and some "marshmallows" grittily sitting at the bottom of a mug of hot milk. To stir is to attempt to stir the ocean's floor into a homogeneous mixture with the sea

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People posting off-topic in facebook groups, discord servers, etc. set up for very specific purposes. I'm sure it's a very funny meme. Show it to your friends. Or join one of the billion or so groups that exist for sharing funny memes. Don't waste my loving time with it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

To stir is to attempt to stir the ocean's floor into a homogeneous mixture with the sea
Perfectly put. :golfclap:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Listening to what used to be a favorite stand-up comedy album from, say, twenty years ago, but it's no longer funny because the things they're mocking don't even register as worthy of notice nowadays. In this instance triggered by Patton Oswalt making fun of the KFC Famous Bowl like it was some kind of noteworthy low point of our culture. Maybe it was... in 2006. :gbsmith:

It's like reading your old posts from 2001 on some IRC channel where you were SO MAD about Avril Lavigne. Just so many strong opinions about WHAT REAL PUNK IS. And now you're just like... God drat I wish that was even in the top 1000 things I could care about at all now.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Jan 3, 2022

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dip Viscous posted:

Every snow shovel handle is too short. I'm like 10th percentile height and it's still uncomfortable. How do average adult males use these at all? Making it longer can't be that hard. How does anyone involved in the production of this product not think "wow we hosed up"?

There are several types of snow shovels.

1. For lots of heavy snow, you need a grain scoop. Metal scoop, heavy, short, handle. Yes, your back will hurt.
2. Those long handled plastic pieces of crap are an option. Those will break with anything more than a couple inches of snow but they're cheap.
3. My favorite, the plow shaped shovel. You can't lift snow, but it's fast as hell if you only have a couple inches.

Regardless, the handles are short so they don't break. They are supposed to be uncomfortable. Remember, lift with your back, not your legs. Do it in a spastic motion. Do not wear boots. Wear house slippers. Flail like an old lady fighting off a bumblebee with a broom handle. Fall down and badly hurt yourself. Go back inside and post about it on Facebook. That's how you shovel snow.

The trick is to crank out some kids and make them do it. By 10 years old, you can put them to hard work. Or pay the neighbor kid a couple bucks to do it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I have misophonia involving people's voices AND I spent my Christmas break binging on podcasts while crocheting, so now I've got a new pet peeve to report, y'all.

There's a certain way or rhythm of speaking that drives me bananas -- I can only describe it as "punchy." Like the speaker doesn't speak in a smooth even tone, but PUNCHes...OUT their SYLlab...les irrrrrREGularlyfromtheir....MOUTHs, usually in a nasal tone, too. A fuckton of podcasters and podcast guests talk like this and I can't stand it.

The most recent example I heard is this episode of the Wicked Words podcast -- compare the smooth, even voice of the host (first heard at 0:06) to the voice of the guest (skip to 2:00). (This isn't even close to the worst example.)

GO...to SPEECH..THERapy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

On the one hand, that strikes me as the voice of someone that's trying to make sure they're not interrupted by making it very clear that they're still speaking. If it wasn't weird pacing it would probably be a whole bunch of "um" and "uh" instead which can be far more distracting.

But she's doing that vocal fry thing at the end of some of her phrases which bothers me more.

It's also had gaps edited out.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have misophonia involving people's voices AND I spent my Christmas break binging on podcasts while crocheting, so now I've got a new pet peeve to report, y'all.

There's a certain way or rhythm of speaking that drives me bananas -- I can only describe it as "punchy." Like the speaker doesn't speak in a smooth even tone, but PUNCHes...OUT their SYLlab...les irrrrrREGularlyfromtheir....MOUTHs, usually in a nasal tone, too. A fuckton of podcasters and podcast guests talk like this and I can't stand it.

The most recent example I heard is this episode of the Wicked Words podcast -- compare the smooth, even voice of the host (first heard at 0:06) to the voice of the guest (skip to 2:00). (This isn't even close to the worst example.)

GO...to SPEECH..THERapy.

Semi-related, I really love Digital Foundry's youtube channel, but one of their presenter talks like he's inserting a comma every 4 words, it's really jarring and annoying.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

mostlygray posted:

Flail like an old lady fighting off a bumblebee with a broom handle.

Out of curiosity, do you read Patrick F McManus? It's literally the only place I've read that exact parsing.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Online classes with those stupid "you have to wait this long to go to the next page" timers. The insult that I'm a little five year old who can't actually learn unless you force me to sit down and be spoon-fed is annoying but hey, not like it doesn't apply to plenty of people so I can let that slide. But they set the timers per page so long you could read them out loud five times before it deigns to let you reach the next little bit. I do not need THREE loving MINUTES to read two and a half short paragraphs of "this course is offered to teach such-and-so" beginning fluff. Needless to say I'm currently posting here because I'll be bored to insanity if I just sit there waiting for it to slow...l...y... count down to when I can get stuck at the next page of short crap wasting time getting to the point. It's an unbelievably lovely way to actually teach things too because you'll forget whatever they taught you early on by the time it deigns to let you take the test, and gently caress if I'm going to risk jumping back pages to re-check things only to find out the class glitches and makes me sit through the stupid timers yet again.

EDIT: And at the end IT CRASHED AND REFUSED TO GENERATE MY PASS CERTIFICATE!!! :argh:

MadDogMike has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Jan 5, 2022

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That was me yesterday. I started a new job last week and the required onboarding training about phishing and poo poo was in the form of a sort of PowerPoint with videos on each slide that slooooowwwwwlllyyy revealed the text on each slide but would not let you skip the animation or hit 'reveal all', nor could you just let it play and come back at the end, because you had to click at the end of each page's animation to advance to the next slide. :argh:

It reminded me of going back and playing Ocarina of Time or something like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

emulators and other retrogame stuff that map the buttons for 2 button consoles (nes, gameboy, pc engine) to B and A on a snes style controller by default. nobody wants this, everybody just wants to keep their thumb on B and Y and use Y for attacking and B for jumping. using A and B is clearly for madmen

retroarch particularly sucks for this and by extension anything thats retroarch-based like retropi

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The reason I'm used to A/B is

but I still agree that it's stupid to make that the default.

Edit: having one of the later style NES dogbone controllers probably broke my brain too.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Jan 5, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dip Viscous posted:

The reason I'm used to A/B is

but I still agree that it's stupid to make that the default.

Edit: having one of the later style NES dogbone controllers probably broke my brain too.

i have the dogbones on my famicom now but they are actually pretty comfortable, you have more space to rest your thumb near the buttons, but on a snes controller A and B are closer to the edge which makes them unsuitable as main buttons

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm so confused.

You'd prefer the default to be to have to mentally translate any in-game prompts for B/A to Y/B?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FFT posted:

I'm so confused.

You'd prefer the default to be to have to mentally translate any in-game prompts for B/A to Y/B?

no, just for consoles that have 2 buttons but which i play with a snes controller in an emulator. nobody wants to use the red button on the snes to jump and the yellow button to attack, nearly every single actual snes game assigns the yellow button to jump and the green button to attack, but for some reason most emulators default to the first configuration

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I mean, okay, but they're B (yellow, and the button on NES used to attack) and A (red, and the button used on NES to jump)

Like sure, conventions changed between the NES and the SNES, but you're still going to be expected to use B and A as B and A

If you got one of those cartridge adapters that let you play NES or Gameboy games on SNES it's gonna use B and A because those are the buttons for those systems

"you're telling me i finally got used to having four main buttons and it's only the standard for one of the top three consoles, of which one flips them and the other just uses shapes!?!?!?"

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Jan 5, 2022

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
It's the physical positioning of the buttons that matters because it's not like you're reading the labels on the controller while you play.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

It's the physical positioning of the buttons that matters because it's not like you're reading the labels on the controller while you play.

Well, look at Mr Pro Gamer here.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah, that's why when I started playing Forza Horizon 5 it took a little while to adapt from GTA Online controls (RB is the GTA handbrake/FH5 camera switcher}

Oh no, different controls! Like just put your thumb over the correct buttons for the console you're trying to play, drat

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's just uncomfortable, the controller wasnt designed to have the player's thumb in that position all the time

really the problem originates with the design of the snes controller, in the prototypes the buttons were labeled sensibly (yellow is A, green is B) but it was changed in the end for some reason

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Me: Lettin' my daughter grow and develop by doing parts of her morning routine she knows how to do by herself

Also me: Holy poo poo how the gently caress long does it take to get socks out of the drawer and put them on, what is time even anymore

Edit: but she's saying the most interesting and adorable things and singing sweet songs the whole time so whatever :3:

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Jan 5, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dip Viscous posted:

I feel this way about almost everything in society. I'm not that tall, barely 5'11", but everything is too drat short/low/small. I can't be at a kitchen counter, or shovel snow or dirt, or rake, or do one of a thousand other tasks without always bending over slightly. Even my snowblower and lawnmower handles come up like 3-4" too short. I can't stand up comfortably to use these things. WTF? At least on those they could/should have adjustable height handles (I'm sure much fancier/expensive ones do.)

Everything needs to be like 3-4" taller/longer.

I learned here on the forums that this is POSSIBLY due to the largest "mass measurements" of Americans being WWII, so our kitchen counters are 36" because the average height of a generation of malnourished young men 80 years ago was several inches shorter.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The explanation of shovel handles being short so they don't break makes sense, but mine is of the plow type so it's never going to be subject to significant force (I try to go out and shovel every few hours while it snows instead of having to do it all at once) and even if it was I'd rather replace broken handles than have something that sucks to use at all times.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not that tall, barely 5'11"

You're pretty tall, but yes. I have to keep a stool in the kitchen to use the microwave or reach cabinets, but the main counter and sink is still like "wtf not even a hobbit could use this".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I thought I wasn't hungry so I just had a quick snack, but now I'm hungry as hell and realising that I should have eaten something more substantial. So what am I going to do now? Eat a proper meal anyway, or just keep snacking? I don't want to do either. I guess going hungry is also an option.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FFT posted:

On the one hand, that strikes me as the voice of someone that's trying to make sure they're not interrupted by making it very clear that they're still speaking. If it wasn't weird pacing it would probably be a whole bunch of "um" and "uh" instead which can be far more distracting.

But she's doing that vocal fry thing at the end of some of her phrases which bothers me more.

It's also had gaps edited out.

Podcasts and videos that edit the gaps out of speaking make me feel like I'm having a stroke. Who the gently caress thinks that sounds good, it is so much worse than occasional pauses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I thought I wasn't hungry so I just had a quick snack, but now I'm hungry as hell and realising that I should have eaten something more substantial. So what am I going to do now? Eat a proper meal anyway, or just keep snacking? I don't want to do either. I guess going hungry is also an option.

Heh, my dad (native of Italy) always said an Italian proverb in situations like this: "L'appetito viene mangiando" -- basically, "your appetite grows as you eat." It's probably meant to be a metaphor for vice, but he always used it literally, and I could hear his voice in my head as I read your post. :)