Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Does anyone have some advice for playing as witch in dicey dungeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Before the first combat, immediately replace your prepared spell with something better. I prefer magic missile. Go with a prepared spell slot as your first upgrade, and maybe even your second. Having something useful to do in the first few rounds of combat is really important. I try to focus on 3-4 really useful spells and rarely use all 6.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol asking for QTEs the thing that solely exists to make sure you didn’t go to the bathroom

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Disco Elysium progress:
I just learned what the Pale is and I do not like it
I got caught in some kind of... Loop? "Mr Evret is helping me find my gun" and it was loving fascinating watching all the bits of my scrambled brain try to troubleshoot without anyone in the driver's seat. also I died from sitting in a lovely chair. So. Not great?

I died in that loving chair too and it had been a couple of hours since I'd saved. I had to take a break for a week or two.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Speaking of Disco Elysium, I’ve owned it on PC for months but between this sale and my preference for playing switch in bed I decided to buy it again and actually play it. I’m trying to go in spoiler free but did read about it on beforeiplay. It mentions a point that if you don’t have a certain amount of funds you can’t advance and need to reload. Is this something I need to worry about or should I have that amount if I play normally?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

loudog999 posted:

Speaking of Disco Elysium, I’ve owned it on PC for months but between this sale and my preference for playing switch in bed I decided to buy it again and actually play it. I’m trying to go in spoiler free but did read about it on beforeiplay. It mentions a point that if you don’t have a certain amount of funds you can’t advance and need to reload. Is this something I need to worry about or should I have that amount if I play normally?

you'll probably be fine

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

loudog999 posted:

There are multiple ways to tackle that and it'll end up being an issue only if you waste all the money you get, do nothing and actively refuse all money.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol asking for QTEs the thing that solely exists to make sure you didn’t go to the bathroom
It's the Switch though, you absolutely can do your QTEs on the toilet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Commander Keene posted:

It's the Switch though, you absolutely can do your QTEs on the toilet.

I can not piss and defeat Krauser

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nintendo Switch OTHREAD: You Can Do Your QTEs on the Toilet

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Mash A to flush

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

:hmmyes:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry goons I tried.

I unmuted Harmony of Dissonance and gave it one last shot for a hour or so. I had a headache and slight ringing in my ear by the end and I had to admit defeat. It's maybe the worst OST for a video game I have ever heard.

Man this game is such a bummer. It's not even that good!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Kirios posted:

Okay I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry goons I tried.

I unmuted Harmony of Dissonance and gave it one last shot for a hour or so. I had a headache and slight ringing in my ear by the end and I had to admit defeat. It's maybe the worst OST for a video game I have ever heard.

Man this game is such a bummer. It's not even that good!

I mean, it is right there in the title...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the music in harmony is really bad yeah

I do think it's a little more fun to play than circle of the moon. hell I think every handheld castlevania is a little better than the previous. ecclesia is the best and they should release a ds collection for the switch please

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The HoD music is a real shame bc there's some catchy and interesting stuff buried inside the GB sound chip quality, but as is the music is almost physically painful. If they updated the soundtrack I bet you'd see a lot more people saying HoD is their favorite of the GBA series.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

RC Cola posted:

Definitely set your spells to start as something other than cauldron, that piddly 1 dmg is rarely worth it. Don't be afraid to replace your starting spells if you find stuff that will make you more versatile.

Never forget to throw your dice if you can't use them!

It's not really intuitive at all, but if you keep trying you'll find spells you like and ways to work them into your playstyle. I found that it was usually best to find 1 or 2 workhorse damage spells and then build the rest of the spells around getting the right dice to get them to output consistent damage.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Waffle! posted:

Mash A to flush

That's better than what I usually have to mash to get it to flush

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can not piss and defeat Krauser

i can

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waffle! posted:

Mash A to flush

that's a warioware game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wilmot's Warehouse is beginning to stress me out... I've clearly little space in my warehouse. I need to find a good way to physically organize my objects. Is there a fail state? I need and want those stars. What happens if I don't make it? My non-Amazon job is becoming a problem.

---

I also dove back into Pikmin 3, thanks Rupert. 3 days after beating the Moth boss I have lost 14 Pikmin total, mainly due to inattention. It is ok. My heart has grown cold. Like the weapons in BotW Pikmin also have durability and they come back quickly enough. I have become the monster I feared.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Void Bastards feels like you're playing in the FTL universe, but after everything's been said and done, and you're just hunting for scraps.

Really enjoying it so far. I'm aware that once I beat it, that'll likely be it.

Speaking of Rupert, you can't just drop a FTL reference and not explain it more. I LOVE that game, what about this recalls it.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
In Chicory is the color pallet you have always limited by the map screen you're in, or can I eventually use more than 4 colors at a time?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I also dove back into Pikmin 3, thanks Rupert. 3 days after beating the Moth boss I have lost 14 Pikmin total, mainly due to inattention. It is ok. My heart has grown cold. Like the weapons in BotW Pikmin also have durability and they come back quickly enough. I have become the monster I feared.

Speaking of Rupert, you can't just drop a FTL reference and not explain it more. I LOVE that game, what about this recalls it.

First off, Yaaaaaaaay for more Pikmin! I didn't REALLY care how many pikmin I ended up losing the first time yhroihh, but I but I'm going to try and optimize everything until I'm some sort of Pikmin zen master.

As for Void Bastards vs FTL, the gameplay is almost entirely different. It just kind of feels, to me, like it could easily be in the same universe.

You know, in FTL, those random encounters where you can send a crew member to investigate a derelict ship? Well, that mission, in first person, the entirety of VB, but you're a prisoner searching for parts and loot on various ships you find across your FTL-inspired star map.

The roguelike/lite-ness is there, in that if you die, you're dead, but all you've done still exists in the game, all the items and gear crafted is then available for the next character you play (the game's story and setup explain the whole 'one person dies, the next fills in for them).

Also, the whole thing is set up like it's a graphic novel so there are more than a few visual similarities to XIII.

A lot of people say that when you beat it you're very much done with the game but I haven't gotten that far yet. I do know that showing up on a ship and looking at the map is very reminiscent of FTL, and not just because they reference their FTL drives.

Be warned, though; you're not managing a ship or making decisions for a team. It's action-oriented, and you're in it for yourself or at least the next one down the line. But I am digging the hell out of it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

not a bot posted:

There are multiple ways to tackle that and it'll end up being an issue only if you waste all the money you get, do nothing and actively refuse all money.

So don't play the game the way I lived throughout my teen years, got it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Red Minjo posted:

In Chicory is the color pallet you have always limited by the map screen you're in, or can I eventually use more than 4 colors at a time?

you will eventually unlock the ability to make custom colors as a "stencil"

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Holy moly is Mario Kart Live Circuit cool as hell. My kids finally set it up and were making tracks under furniture throughout different rooms. It had surprisingly little lag. After a few races they were unlocking new outfits and karts and having an absolute blast. I am going to have to buy the Luigi Kart version at this rate.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
About 3/4th of the way thru SMTV, definitely loving it but whew be sure you really really like RPGs before you pick up this one! The game is literally 90% dungeon crawling/optimizing your team, 8% colossal boss fights that will punch your dick until you "solve" them, and 2% plot. Which is exactly what SMT fans tbh, though a little more plot would be nice.

The atmosphere is incredible but the aesthetic/design of open areas does get repetitive given the nature of the overworld. With a few exceptions in specific mini areas, the big difference between each major area seems to be the color of the sky lol.

If you like monster catching RPGs, this is almost guaranteed to be right up your alley. I'm playing on normal and still having a bit of a rough time! When I hit a boss wall, I go back fuse more demons and tailor my moves to a given boss. This way each fight so far has been doable

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 4, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

KingSlime posted:

I'm playing on normal and still having a bit of a rough time!

pathetic to admit this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m also playing on normal and it’s cool and fun

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Demon King castle was a highlight for sure, still curious what the recent nerf changed about the wind maze.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
reverse the nerf. also undo the ds2 shrine nerf. i demand this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

just play on the masochist difficulty or whatever

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like to play on the "middle" difficulty, so anything with an even number of options always throws me into a tizzy

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I loved the main areas but I disliked the dungeons. I hated the wind platforming in the castle, and the last dungeon felt like filler. Still got crazy addicted to the game overall.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Stux posted:

pathetic to admit this

At a certain point life got too busy for me to enjoy "high stakes pick a menu option" gameplay :shrug:

Also I need to remember to save more often ffs

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I loved the main areas but I disliked the dungeons. I hated the wind platforming in the castle, and the last dungeon felt like filler. Still got crazy addicted to the game overall.

Yeah I really enjoy the overworld, which is basically all ruined city. If you're not into the aesthetic, it can get pretty boring pretty fast, but I'm a pretty big SMT fan so I'm loving it.

Also, fusing demons and mixing and matching movesets will always be incredibly addicting to me

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Lol I played Dragonball Kakarot 75 hours.

That was a fun and addicting 6.5/10 game

Same, I got the plat trophy on PS

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

KingSlime posted:

About 3/4th of the way thru SMTV, definitely loving it but whew be sure you really really like RPGs before you pick up this one! The game is literally 90% dungeon crawling/optimizing your team, 8% colossal boss fights that will punch your dick until you "solve" them, and 2% plot. Which is exactly what SMT fans tbh, though a little more plot would be nice.

The atmosphere is incredible but the aesthetic/design of open areas does get repetitive given the nature of the overworld. With a few exceptions in specific mini areas, the big difference between each major area seems to be the color of the sky lol.

If you like monster catching RPGs, this is almost guaranteed to be right up your alley. I'm playing on normal and still having a bit of a rough time! When I hit a boss wall, I go back fuse more demons and tailor my moves to a given boss. This way each fight so far has been doable

My copy is in the mail and I'm excited. I've been working through Persona 4 (PC) in the meantime and boy SMTV is sounding more up my alley. P4 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too light on the dungeon aspects. I barely spend any time beating up stuff! And the battle system is really fun! Best part of the game, imo, but you do so little of it!

I do love the cast (my precious Anime Children), but I don't like being pulled a million different ways with the Social Links and raising my stats and bleah. Too much to do in too little time, not enough dungeon crawling!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You sound like me before I learned nocturne existed back in 2008. You’re in for a good time

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

My copy is in the mail and I'm excited. I've been working through Persona 4 (PC) in the meantime and boy SMTV is sounding more up my alley. P4 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too light on the dungeon aspects. I barely spend any time beating up stuff! And the battle system is really fun! Best part of the game, imo, but you do so little of it!

I do love the cast (my precious Anime Children), but I don't like being pulled a million different ways with the Social Links and raising my stats and bleah. Too much to do in too little time, not enough dungeon crawling!

There's a *lot* of platforming in SMTV's overworld. I'm lvl 40 and 15 hours in and haven't seen a dungeon yet I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
the entire game is a dungeon