Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s probably slightly over your budget but the Pixel 6 would be worth it.
How well-regarded is the Pixel 6? I think I'm in a similar situation to K8.0. My OG Pixel 1 finally died on me after 5+ years of service, and it just wasn't cost-effective to get it repaired. I went to a Verizon store on Black Friday to check out their deal on the Pixel 6 (as I got a great deal on the Pixel 1 back in 2016), but they wouldn't actually have any in stock for a while and didn't even give any discount on their Black Friday "deal", so the worker there recommended I order straight from Google, or consider another phone.

While I'm not particularly loyal to Google, the Pixel 1 worked very well for me so I'm considering a new Pixel first and foremost. How is the Pixel 5a regarded? And if a new 5a is $400, what does the 6 do to justify its $600 price?
Comparing them, the 5a seems equal to the 6 in a lot of ways (5a even has very slightly higher resolution, denser ppi, larger battery, and better ultrawide camera), while the 6 has better RAM/storage and a 50MP camera. Any other significant differences? Also does the 6 not have a 3.5mm headphone jack? That alone might be a deal-breaker for me.

Many thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the 6 is the best android you can get for the price and especially good for all of you who like to put off upgrading for a while because it's supported for 5 years. the 5a is good too but it's only got half that time left

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

literally this big posted:

How well-regarded is the Pixel 6? I think I'm in a similar situation to K8.0. My OG Pixel 1 finally died on me after 5+ years of service, and it just wasn't cost-effective to get it repaired. I went to a Verizon store on Black Friday to check out their deal on the Pixel 6 (as I got a great deal on the Pixel 1 back in 2016), but they wouldn't actually have any in stock for a while and didn't even give any discount on their Black Friday "deal", so the worker there recommended I order straight from Google, or consider another phone.

While I'm not particularly loyal to Google, the Pixel 1 worked very well for me so I'm considering a new Pixel first and foremost. How is the Pixel 5a regarded? And if a new 5a is $400, what does the 6 do to justify its $600 price?
Comparing them, the 5a seems equal to the 6 in a lot of ways (5a even has very slightly higher resolution, denser ppi, larger battery, and better ultrawide camera), while the 6 has better RAM/storage and a 50MP camera. Any other significant differences? Also does the 6 not have a 3.5mm headphone jack? That alone might be a deal-breaker for me.

Many thanks.

Yeah, the pixel 6 you are paying for faster processor and camera.

The 6 does not have a headphone jack, most phones don’t.

The 5a is a great purchase in that price range , so it’s just whether you want the 5a or the pixel 6. Unfortunately there is no trade in on your pixel 1 that I am aware of at this point.

Ordering through google is fine , if you want to order via Verizon directly feel free (but don’t feel obligated ) to PM me, I can literally call and help you order it over the phone if you want help with it.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

butt dickus posted:

the 6 is the best android you can get for the price and especially good for all of you who like to put off upgrading for a while because it's supported for 5 years. the 5a is good too but it's only got half that time left

It seems like both offer 3 years of Android updates, with the P6 offering an additional 2 years of further security-only updates, which Google can do now that they're using a non-Qualcomm chip. But it seems like the best bet might be to get the 5a now, and finally upgrade to a Pixel ~9 once my 5 dies and Google has switched to a full 5 year update cycle.

Duckman2008 posted:

The 6 does not have a headphone jack, most phones don’t.
Ugh. This may just be the deciding factor.

quote:

PM me, I can literally call and help you order it over the phone if you want help with it.
Thanks, will do.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

actually i'm seeing a bunch of contract deals for the pixel 6 at around £30 a month + generous data which isn't too bad. total cost of the contract is the price of the phone + about £200 over 2 years.

the only thing i'm wondering is if it is worth getting an unlimited data plan for about £35 a month and then just use that for internet access when i move instead of getting broadband installed. i download/stream a lot but i don't upload much so the only question is if it would be good enough to hotspot and play online on ps4 (elden ring mainly is what i'm anticipating) along with streaming services etc.

they say they've got 5G in my area but it looks spotty.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
My partner is looking for a new phone.

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint which is now part of T-Mobile

Current contract: "Extended Lease" has 0 months remaining. Could own the current Pixel 3a for about $77

Budget: Something that's less than 30/month would be good. Current phone is only $17/month.

Features: Not an iPhone. The camera is important, but especially macro photography. Intensive gaming ability, paying to get the state of the art are not important. It would be put in a case no matter what, but extra durability is a plus as it will probably be dropped repeatedly in construction site.

For convenience/speed, I'd like to just upgrade through Sprint if possible. https://nihrida.com/best-phones/for-macro-photography/ suggests that Samsung Galaxy A71 is a good budget option, and it's only about 5 more a month than we're paying currently. But if you think that, say, Galaxy A52 or Galaxy S20 FE or Pixel 6 or something would actually be better, I'd be interested to know. (Pixel 6 Pro seems out of budget.)

Thanks!
Edit: Probably going Pixel 6 at Duckman2008's suggestion and because my partner likes the Pixel line.

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 22, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dirby posted:

My partner is looking for a new phone.

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint which is now part of T-Mobile

Current contract: "Extended Lease" has 0 months remaining. Could own the current Pixel 3a for about $77

Budget: Something that's less than 30/month would be good. Current phone is only $17/month.

Features: Not an iPhone. The camera is important, but especially macro photography. Intensive gaming ability, paying to get the state of the art are not important. It would be put in a case no matter what, but extra durability is a plus as it will probably be dropped repeatedly in construction site.

For convenience/speed, I'd like to just upgrade through Sprint if possible. https://nihrida.com/best-phones/for-macro-photography/ suggests that Samsung Galaxy A71 is a good budget option, and it's only about 5 more a month than we're paying currently. But if you think that, say, Galaxy A52 or Galaxy S20 FE or Pixel 6 or something would actually be better, I'd be interested to know. (Pixel 6 Pro seems out of budget.)

Thanks!

Get the Pixel 6. By far the best android phone. Here’s a review.

https://www.theverge.com/22750387/google-pixel-6-pro-review

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i'm going to get a pixel 6, probably with unlimited data and potentially use that instead of getting a broadband package.

i'm waiting until after christmas though because i saw that a few weeks ago pixel 6 had significant reductions in price as low as £379 and £450 in two deals, which i'm hoping might pop up again in early january. right now everywhere is selling it for £550-600 maybe with google earbuds included which i don't need.

might all be moot though if i end up just getting it on a contract but i'd rather wait and see.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If you get a Pixel 6, you should know that it comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable and a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter. If you're me, then you don't have anything in your house to plug these into to charge the phone. The phone doesn't come with a charger in the box.

It almost feels like a prank to include an USB-C to USB-A adapter, but not the one you want. I have a million USB-A chargers around the house but this adapter doesn't help with that. I haven't bought a new phone in several years, so maybe USB-C chargers are becoming more common and I've missed the trend.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jolo posted:

USB-C to USB-A adapter

The gently caress is this for? Plugging a different phone into the new phone?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Uthor posted:

The gently caress is this for? Plugging a different phone into the new phone?

When I looked it up I see mostly people with Apple Laptops that don't have a regular USB port that use it to convert a USB-C port to a USB port to use headphones, usb drives, etc. Maybe it's to use USB headphones with your phone? That's a weird use case though, "hey I bet you have a USB-C charger and aren't using wireless headphones?"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
if a phone came without a usable charger I would RMA it that very day, holy poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Basically everyone is moving away from including chargers because everyone has a dozen of them sitting around their house already, and if you somehow don't, you can get one at a gas station for $5. poo poo pay me shipping and I'll toss an Apple USB-C charger in the mail for you.

The adapter is for transferring your old phone over.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Basically everyone is moving away from including chargers because everyone has a dozen of them sitting around their house already, and if you somehow don't, you can get one at a gas station for $5. poo poo pay me shipping and I'll toss an Apple USB-C charger in the mail for you.

Every gas station I've seen has chargers or even just cables for $15+. Even 3ft 3.5mm cables run that much lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I have a poo poo-ton of chargers around the house, but not a single one outputs USB-C. At this point I have enough USB-A to USB-C cables it's not a problem, but a couple years ago I would've be in the same boat of not being able to charge that phone.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I remembered that I have a couple of usb-c to usb-a cables so I'm not totally out of luck. I think one was from earbuds and another was with a switch pro controller. But yeah, I don't have a USB-C port charger and to me they don't seem common enough to assume someone has one and only include a usb-c to usb-c cord. My intention was more to give a heads up to other potential buyers in the thread that you'll want a usb-c to usb-a cord or to buy a usb-c charger handy if you're buying the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Don’t buy the gas station chargers , they’re bad.

Cheap Anker ones online are fine.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Jolo posted:

I have a million USB-A chargers around the house but this adapter doesn't help with that.

Couldn't that adapter be used with an A-A cable and your A charger? Do you also not have an A-A cable?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Don’t buy the gas station chargers , they’re bad.

Cheap Anker ones online are fine.

I'm not saying you *should* but they're available in a pinch.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dirby posted:

Couldn't that adapter be used with an A-A cable and your A charger? Do you also not have an A-A cable?

Of all the USB cables I have, I don't think I have a single male A to male A one. I have one or two male to female extension. Pretty sure the spec is that nearly every cable should have an A and a B end to prevent plugging power sources into each other.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apparently they exist! Presumably for transferring data from one old computer to another? That's the only use case I think of.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lots of laptop cooling mats come with a male to male USB cord, so you can plug them into the laptop and draw power that way. Only thing I've ever used one for.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have one or two USB-A male to male connector "patch cables" used to transfer data, but that's part of my tech hoarding tendencies.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I ended up getting a refurbished pixel 4 for cheap off ebay. It has android 12 and it's i dunno, 5000x faster than my previous galaxy A3. so i'm satisfied. i didn't really want to pay £40 a month for 2 years. this way i've paid £160 for the phone and i'm still on a £9 plan.

pixel 4 doesn't have 5G but i don't really need it for anything. and the coverage still is poor.

i was lucky and had a usb a to c cable from my wireless earbuds, but i ordered another one anyway just for the phone. C to C port is a weird one since the pixel and earbuds are the only devices i have that even use a C.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

This was spot on. Used that adapter to connect and transfer apps and things over. Felt way way faster than downloading apps separately all over again.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What carriers are the least horrible to BYO phone to? I don't need or want a new phone, just to move off my current carrier (fi) quickly and painlessly with my unlocked phone

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Javid posted:

What carriers are the least horrible to BYO phone to? I don't need or want a new phone, just to move off my current carrier (fi) quickly and painlessly with my unlocked phone

I got a new unlocked phone last year, started on AT&T Prepaid and then changed to Verizon Prepaid. Of the two I'd say Verizon was easier and had better customer service. AT&T's number porting process was painful both directions.

I got a secondary (also unlocked) phone that I put on Tracfone, and they were fine to deal with, even if their website feels a little like stepping back in time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Javid posted:

T mobile will accept anything that's compatible. AT&T is whitelisted devices only, especially the ones they sell and not international variants with dual SIMs. Somebody more knowledgeable can tell about Verizon's system.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I didn't do anything special to move to or from t-mobile, cricket, or Verizon. Though moving off of Fi requires a couple of unusual steps to get some codes for the new provider to transfer your number (simple, just look it up). Most, I just went in, got a SIM, stuck it into my phone.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cricket will have the same device restrictions as AT&T now, I believe.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Apologies for the stupid question, but I had never even heard of VoLTE until this morning. I have a Bold N1, with service from AT&T via Tracfone BYOP. Tracfone sent me an e-mail out of the blue this morning saying that my phone does not support VoLTE and I need to upgrade immediately or else I'm going to lose my service.

Is there any way to check if my device is VoLTE compatible? Googling for "Bold N1" and "VoLTE" says the phone might be compatible, but I can't find any straight answer if there's something I can do to enable it on my phone or what. This phone works great and is barely 2 years old, so I really want to avoid upgrading if possible.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It doesn't matter if it isn't on AT&T's whitelist. AT&T is trying to squeeze money out of everybody and is lying to consumers about what is and isn't compatible.

But to be sure, try entering your IMEI into T-mobile's checker and see what it says about compatibility there. It uses different bands than AT&T but otherwise the same tech.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Charles posted:

But to be sure, try entering your IMEI into T-mobile's checker and see what it says about compatibility there. It uses different bands than AT&T but otherwise the same tech.

quote:

This device is fully compatible with T-Mobile’s network technology.
This device is not blocked from use on our network.

So I should be good, even though I'm on AT&T? There's nothing in the device settings about VoLTE, but "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode (Use LTE services to improve voice and other communications)" is enabled under "Mobile network."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

So I should be good, even though I'm on AT&T? There's nothing in the device settings about VoLTE, but "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode (Use LTE services to improve voice and other communications)" is enabled under "Mobile network."

From what I understand about Tracfone I think you might need to get a different SIM to switch over to the T-Mobile network via Tracfone. I bought a Tracfone SIM pack to put my secondary unlocked phone on their service, and it came with 3 SIM cards in it - one for AT&T, one for T-Mobile, and one for Verizon. Since I know only Verizon actually has signal at my house that is the SIM card I used. It's possible your phone is getting bumped off the AT&T whitelist but would function fine on T-Mobile, but I think you'd need the Tracfone T-Mobile network SIM for that to work.

Another caveat here is that Tracfone has been acquired by Verizon, so how long they will continue using all three networks is potentially in doubt.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lester Shy posted:

Not on AT&T unfortunately. But I was just checking your phone really did have VoLTE

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
VOLTE is calling over 4G , also sometimes branded HD voice.

Go to your phone settings and see under network settings if there is a 4G / LTE option.

Older phones made calls over 3G, and used 4G for data.

ATT and Verizon are officially turning off 3G this month. So it’s possible if your phone does 3G calling only it’ll just stop working at some point. This is different from the ATT whitelisting stuff, which is just ATT being dicks.

Never heard of the Bold N1, but the others right right, good chance you may need either a new phone or new carrier.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Go to your phone settings and see under network settings if there is a 4G / LTE option.

It's a 4G LTE phone, there's an "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode (Use LTE services to improve voice and other communications)" option under network settings, and under "Preferred network type" there's a selection for "2G/3G/4G/4G LTE," but there's nothing in the settings that explicitly refers to "VoLTE" or "HD Voice."

Duckman2008 posted:

This is different from the ATT whitelisting stuff, which is just ATT being dicks.

This is where I get confused. Is the whitelist just a list of phones that are known to work with ATT, or will only phones on the whitelist work with ATT? I guess I can pick up a new set of Tracfone 3-in-1 SIMs for $1 to try and switch to T-Mobile if I lose service on Feb 1st.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lester Shy posted:

It's a 4G LTE phone, there's an "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode (Use LTE services to improve voice and other communications)" option under network settings, and under "Preferred network type" there's a selection for "2G/3G/4G/4G LTE," but there's nothing in the settings that explicitly refers to "VoLTE" or "HD Voice."

This is where I get confused. Is the whitelist just a list of phones that are known to work with ATT, or will only phones on the whitelist work with ATT? I guess I can pick up a new set of Tracfone 3-in-1 SIMs for $1 to try and switch to T-Mobile if I lose service on Feb 1st.

AT&T will actively block / not allow phones to connect to VoLTE that aren't on that list.
So to summarize:
If you want to keep your new phone: switch carriers
If you want to keep AT&T: switch phones

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Dropped my phone, cracked my screen. Sigh.
It was a Samsung Galaxy A51, it did everything I wanted it to do, so I'm looking to buy a similar phone. Briefly thought about getting the screen replaced, but that'll cost me 100-150 and that seems like a bit mich for a 2-3 year old phone.

Anyway, some quick googling pointed me in the direction of the Samsung Galaxy A52s 128GB 5G Enterprise Edition or the Motorola Moto G60 128GB. Both phones seem like they'd get the job done, and I had a Moto G phone in the past and liked it. But I'm looking for your input. Any other suggestions in the 200-350 EUR range?
One thing I kinda want is a notification led, but I'm sure I'll manage to live without that too.
-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT and Verizon are officially turning off 3G this month.

T-Mobile (and formerly Sprint) is shutting it down April 1st. This past fall when they started sending me notifications about this, it was initially going to be January 1st but it got an extension at some point.