Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Llyranor posted:

Here's my pitch:

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant :
Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadran

A+

How about this one

Dungeon Petz - Clean up poop and send ugly pets to the "farm".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Year-end stats:

Missing a handful of "didn't bother to keep score" games of Monikers and some other PnPs, but otherwise good. The "all of your kickstarter games are getting delayed 9 more months hope you didn't want to play anything since march" was rather disappointing.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
What site did you use to generate those stats? Pretty nifty.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
It looks like an app called "Board Game Stats." I recently started using it again to keep track of what's actually getting played.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Board Game Stats, with whatever the "insights" add-on was. Syncs with BGG, which is nice.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I like board games but hate the horrible people that occupy the space. Is there any alternative to BGG that isn't majority WASP or WASP run?

Not saying all WASPs are bad people, just find that sites run by wasps or majority WASP userbase wait a lot lot longer to shut down horrible speech if it's not about them.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Defenistrator posted:

I like board games but hate the horrible people that occupy the space. Is there any alternative to BGG that isn't majority WASP or WASP run?

Not saying all WASPs are bad people, just find that sites run by wasps or majority WASP userbase wait a lot lot longer to shut down horrible speech if it's not about them.

Uh, have you used BGG at all in the past year or so? They've been ridiculously active in curtailing any sort of hateful speech.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Sorry no, I haven't. I've stopped looking at the site for about 2 years after consistent crap interactions sitewide. Same thing on community run and Facebook groups. I'll go in again, but not holding my breath.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Memnaelar posted:

Uh, have you used BGG at all in the past year or so? They've been ridiculously active in curtailing any sort of hateful speech.

It's a fair comment if he hasn't been active. You used to have to go a long way on BGG before action would be taken, unless you were dead set against the idea of a hugbox. The huge expansion of the hobby over the last ten years or so has diluted the grogs and brought in a lot of new people with progressive politics.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
BGG has been way better lately.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
In particular, BGG's treating of "dismissive" comments and discussion as being unhealthy and good only for stamping out is one of the most effective and under-rated moderation policies applied to a formerly insular hobby, IMO.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

golden bubble posted:

The main thing you lose with the castle is the consistency of the gain coin reward (only sometimes appears in 1303 instead of always being there), the ability to choose to get build actions via the castle track instead of from actual building actions. With the reduced number of turns, you don't need to have the different VPs per castle build based on the phase, and the split between immediate rewards and longer term boosts is still there since the extra powers are pretty strong. And ignoring the castle is still just as much of a bad idea in 1303 as it is in Caylus. There aren't enough VP generators to win if you ignore the castle and someone else doesn't, especially if the +VP for using gold on the castle power is in play. I'd say the change to the turn order track is more annoying between 1303 and Caylus.

The turn order is the thing that got us the most too. We switched to turn order is passing order, which the designer approved: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2349385/turn-order-based-passing-order This made a big difference, but I certainly agree that if playing the game as written, clockwise turn order was a bad change.

armorer posted:

The burger token tuckboxes are a nice option if the cards are the right size and count. Otherwise a custom tuckbox is your slimmest option.

https://burgertokens.com/products/perfect-fit-deckboxes?variant=21689594544217

These look like exactly what I wanted! I'm going to have to take some measurements/counts to make sure I order correctly, those capacities and sleeved/unsleeved sizes are very specific. Thanks!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Best example of improved moderation I’ve personally experienced was when a BGG mod came and shut down some primo Phil Eklund nonsense in a John Company thread where he was trying to imply the Indians deserved the British Raj

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Defenistrator posted:

Sorry no, I haven't. I've stopped looking at the site for about 2 years after consistent crap interactions sitewide. Same thing on community run and Facebook groups. I'll go in again, but not holding my breath.

Mayveena has posted several BGG threads here where diversity in gaming was being discussed and the moderation was fierce. Things are changing there for sure.

I don’t read BGG either because I get enough hobby discussion out of this thread/subforum. The SA boardgame discord is pretty active as well!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
BGG has been markedly better* after site owner Aldie posted in support of BLM which came after board game designer Eric Lang described (cw: racism, seriously it's not an easy read) described his personal interactions with the police as a man of color. For any non-Americans who are somehow unaware, this all came after (this link is just Wikipedia, not the actual video) the murder of George Floyd by a police officer and subsequent publication of video footage showcasing the particularly inhumane, cruel, slow and brutal way in which he was murdered, causing widespread outrage.

Previously, I had given up on the social aspect of BGG after coming across several lovely interactions with the community the past, but that made me reconsider knowing that the owner and mods were not on the side of racism, or at least not on the side of "big tent free speech hands-off moderation" for lack of a better term. I decided to actually get stuck in and start shitposting after seeing thread denizen Mayveena's thread about a 2020 game featuring zero POC. To be honest, as a cishetwhite dipshit, it's something I would never notice on my own, even though I came across the idea of representation in board games with the SUSD review of Istanbul some time before, where they mention that the game failed to feature women. (At least the publisher of Istanbul seemed ashamed and contrite in that case, for what that's worth.)

In the case of Alma Mater, Tom Lehmann (designer of Race for the Galaxy, so not just some rando) noticed this early and used his pre-existing relationship to tell them about this, and their response was claiming 'historical accuracy'. He then responded with how that was bullshit, and then the game got published with whitewashing intact. This obliterated the 'innocent mistake' excuse and made it so worse. On the other hand, more recently when Paleo was called out, the publisher and designer immediately apologized and pledged to do better. Whether you think that is enough to indulge them with your forgiveness is up to you, but it's certainly better than some publishers do, as seen above.

Based on what I've seen in these threads when they are live, there is a growing pushback against this type of crap. Over the last year and a half, the support for openly spouting these terrible ideas feels like it is dwindling. Now, BGG has seemingly not banned most of these people, which is a policy I disagree with. I think people should be pissing their pants in terror of losing their precious accounts and their recorded plays and collections if they elect to parrot bigoted bullshit. BGG is instead satisfied to cease offering them a platform. Fair enough. Still, it seems that enough whacks with the moderation stick seems to let them know that their racist or sexist opinions are not as well tolerated on that site as it was for the 20 preceding years. Of course, it's a big site and has a lot of old information on there and a lot of nooks and crannies to hide in, so it's a slow process. A more recent thread was not hit by the moderation bat as hard, so that may show improvement insofar as the bigots are adequately cowed.

It is still a sort of insular grognardy kinda place, but it's growing to be more accepting to grognards of all colors and creeds.

- - -
* : So, yeah, here's the thing: you may notice that certain pages I've linked to on BGG has huge swaths of it missing. Unlike SA where bad posts are rarely removed unless it's doxxing or an actionable threat, a moderated post is hidden as are everyone who quoted it. You can see that in the first page, only three posts remain (one is hidden by default from getting downvoted, but is also in support). So, did everyone say something lovely? Maybe not. 8 people said something lovely and 12 responded to them. They could be in support or in opposition. We can't say for sure. It also makes it harder to get 'receipts' so to speak.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I was going to reply with something similar, but you've already described it pretty much perfectly.

I also think Isaac Childres, as the designer of BGG's #1 game, hiring a diversity consultant, actually sticking to what he promised, ditching lovely companies (presumably at a financial loss to him) and telling Kickstarter manbabies whining at him to gently caress off and get a refund was very important.

I hadn't heard about Lehmann fighting the good fight but it's heartening to hear that the designer of my favorite series of games is also a good guy.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I reacquainted myself with the world of cardboard games over Xmas with a few impulse purchases, and as the OP alluded to it feels like the industry has come a long way just in the last 5-6 years in terms of the sheer variety of different games available, though I haven't really paid much attention to them during that time, with one exception: Wingspan!

I know it has flaws but it's one of the rare cases for me where I don't care about them at all (and the second expansion did a pretty good job of addressing some of them). Maybe it's the theme that carries it so well for me - I just love looking at all the pretty birds, and after playing it for a while I actually started paying more attention to birds in real life. But I do really enjoy its light engine-building core and its short game length, including the final round which still feels too short.

The other reason it will probably never outstay its welcome is that I tend to only play board games during the holiday periods when I travel. My group usually consists of me and my sister, who will play any light-to-medium game, and my cousin, who is a diehard board game collector and backs a lot of Kickstarters. He was the one who got me into the Arkham Horror LCG, and I was all set to play the latest expansion with him over the break but due to all the supply chain issues over the last twelve months he was missing a lot of the recent packs and wanted to hold off on it.

So I figured I'd bring a new board game home with me instead, and after some quick browsing on Youtube I settled on Museum because it looked like the sort of thing I'd enjoy. Strongly themed on something I love (antiquity), good art, and a pretty light set of rules. So I ordered it and then later I remembered SA had a board games thread and after reading the last several pages of the old thread my curiosity got the better of me and I watched a heap of Youtubes and then hastily picked up a few more games right before Xmas.

My gateway game was Catan, and then I picked up Carcassonne and a few other popular ones like it, but it wasn't until I came across Eldritch Horror that I found a board game I really loved. And after recently bingeing on Youtube reviews and guides I have a shortlist of other games I might look into this year as well as a better understanding of the kinds of games I don't enjoy playing, which seem to be mostly Euros.

To be honest, I never really learned exactly what a 'Euro' was, but the old thread mentioned Knizia and as soon as I watched a couple of videos of his games I immediately felt like the guy at the table who doesn't want to be there and that nobody else probably wants to be there either when one of those gets pulled out. The abstract, coloured shapes for game pieces, the paper-thin theme brushed onto mathematical formulas made real; I respect the craft, but the actual games feel more like they're there to be admired, not enjoyed. The- ok, sorry, I don't want to keep harping on about them, I just really had to get that out of my system.

I also don't enjoy Azul and games that are, um, purely gamey, but instead of continuing with what I don't like I'll just state what I do look for in a board game. I want a narrative, or characters, or role-playing, or something really strong on theme or presentation. I want a game that's not perfectly fair or perfectly balanced, and RNG is fine as long as there are tools to mitigate it. A short-to-medium play length is better if it's a group game but if it has a good solo mode then the longer the better.

I picked up Gloomhaven on the Steam sale because I enjoy tactical RPGs and Xcom-like games in general, and I picked up Spirit Island today because it seemed like it checked all my boxes. And now I am definitely not spending any more money on board games for a while!

Here's what I played over Xmas:

Museum is a purchase I probably wouldn't have made if I'd spent the time to make a properly informed decision, but I don't totally regret it. It gets top marks for presentation and, as mentioned, I love the theme. There's a lot about it which reminds me of Civilization 6, and in particular it feels like they lifted the museum-theming micro-game from it and turned it into a full length game. I could write an essay about the Civ series, and especially what I love about Civ 6, but suffice to say, this game doesn't really engender any strong feelings at all while playing. You can kind of just sit back and sort colours and symbols and not really worry about what the other players are doing. So, yeah, I wouldn't recommend it.

7 Wonders: Duel on the other hand, takes a similar theme and does something truly amazing with it. I really, really cannot overstate how impressed I am with this game. I've been playing computer games my whole life and this is honestly one of the best games of any kind I've ever come across. If I had to pick one thing I love about it, it's how dynamic it is at all stages and how you can never ignore what your opponent is doing but you can almost always counter them, if only for a short time.

We played the yellow cards incorrectly for a fair while; we were playing the Tavern and Brewery's 4 and 6 coins as renewing each turn so if you got both you had 10 coins to spend for free every turn. And we also thought the yellows that reduce the cost of a resource only reduced the base cost from 2 to 1 so you still had to pay an additional amount if your opponent had more of that resource. Once we cleared those two things up a lot of other things suddenly made more sense.

I ordered both expansions with the base game on a whim and I'm glad I did because they're both great, though I don't think every element of Agora fits as neatly into the mix as Pantheon does. I do love how it adds value to the blue buildings and the conspiracies are really quite powerful, but the way the senators slot into the structure doesn't feel quite right.

The Crew: Mission Deep Sea is a really simple and fun trick-taking game. I was a little unclear on the table talk rules though - are you allowed to say whether you think a task would be good for you or encourage someone to pass on a task, or is there really no communication at all apart from the sonar thing? We only got up to around mission 15 or so but I did wonder if the mental processing required increases exponentially on the later ones.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars was a really pleasant surprise. I'm not sure what I was expecting (I picked it up sight-unseen from some recommendations in the old thread) but this was a really novel experience for me and I enjoyed it a lot. I figured we'd have a decent chance of taking that Sherlock Holmes fucker down a notch or two but the result from our first case was Holmes: 9, Crime-fighting Children: 25.

Valley of the Kings: Premium Edition is one I picked up earlier in the year but had the first opportunity to play at Xmas. I didn't actually own the original game, only the two follow-ups, so it was good to get a copy of those cards (and they seemed much more violent than the other sets with all the hand-destruction effects) and the new set of purples and the special pharaoh cards were cool. It's still one of my favourite games but my main criticism would be that tarot-sized cards are really unwieldy to actually handle and shuffle, and also the way they only have their set colours on a small part of the card makes it harder to tell at a glance what you have in your tomb.

While I was there I picked up Root from the local board game shop but after opening it up I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew with the time I had left in town. I'm looking forward to playing it sometime later this year, maybe at Xmas 2022!

Oh, and one question. I came across an unboxing Youtube for Batman: Shadow of the Bat and that game would be perfect for one of my friends. It's listed on Amazon so I assume it will get a retail release, but will all of the KS extras come with it?

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 5, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Kalko posted:

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars was a really pleasant surprise. I'm not sure what I was expecting (I picked it up sight-unseen from some recommendations in the old thread) but this was a really novel experience for me and I enjoyed it a lot. I figured we'd have a decent chance of taking that Sherlock Holmes fucker down a notch or two but the result from our first case was Holmes : 9, Crime-fighting Children : 25.
As someone who has praised this game at every opportunity, I'm happy you enjoyed it and am envious you still have the rest of the box ahead of you. Don't get too discouraged about Holmes. I feel like the first time playing one of these games is always tough, because you need build an understanding of what the game is actually going to ask of you.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would like to note that after the Alma Mater thread, Alexander Pfister changed course completely. As one of the biggest designers of European exploitation games, he has turned 180 degrees thankfully. He's re-doing Mombasa, the 2nd edition Great Western Trail now has Black engineers (anti historical yes, but when it comes to representation, having them there is important), the teepees as impediments are gone (replaced by outlaws which should have been there in the first place) and other small changes. He also is publishing Maracaibo the Uprising, featuring context in the Caribbean. Note that I am not anti colonial games, I am anti colonial games that have no context, so I'm fine with the expansion. His latest game Boonlake is mostly themeless, noting that there is a Western sci-fi vibe going on.

I also have noticed a much greater emphasis on diversity in the games of 2021. Coffee Traders features people of color from around the world. The Hunger has Black and other people of color featured in the game. Puerto Rico will be re-themed with appropriate context. As mentioned, Frosthaven is being developed with a cultural historian, as was Golem. While we can't claim that this things wouldn't have happened anyway, I think without us, I doubt it. As that stupid publisher showed so well, publishers thought their audience was white and so all they needed to care about was white people. I will alway hold that Alma Mater thread dear to my heart and the folks from SA who supported me from the first page, so awesome!!!

I would like to also let people know about some other behind the scenes changes that happened with BGG. Back in 2018 I told Scott Alden the owner (I have an acquaintance with him) that I would not watch any more Game Nights featuring all white players from Los Angeles California, one of the most ethnically diverse cities on the planet. So at the next local con I saw Lincoln and Nikki there, looking around. I don't know that they could figure out how to proceed but they hadn't been to a con in over a decade so I assumed my words got through to them. They were at the next con, where I introduced them to Candice, Jackie Chao of Show Me How to Win, and Monique of Before you Play (this was before they started the channel). All of them were then featured on Game Night and as you probably know, Candice went on to become a BGG staff member.

So speak up to BGG when you see something that bothers you. Report the racist, bigoted assholes you see there. Someone will look at it and act as appropriate. BGG is the center of our hobby and we need to keep working to make it an inclusive positive place for all who want to play board games.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

As someone who has praised this game at every opportunity, I'm happy you enjoyed it and am envious you still have the rest of the box ahead of you. Don't get too discouraged about Holmes. I feel like the first time playing one of these games is always tough, because you need build an understanding of what the game is actually going to ask of you.

Oh, yeah, when I was reading through the rulebook to work out how to play I flipped back and forth through some of the materials and the moment I understood how the lead system worked it was like, wow, you have to actually analyze her story!

There was one location in the first case we didn't visit, but if we had it probably would've shaved a good 5-6 leads off our total.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Kalko posted:

Wingspan and a ton of other games

If you and your group have fun playing anything good on you. I just get my back up personally about games like Wingspan and Terraforming Mars because I think they're prime examples of aggressively mediocre designs that skate by primarily on Theme™ and a dose of the cult of the new (something I'm not immune to myself, to be clear). Anything that gets more people into this expensive, time consuming, and shelf warping hobby is a win as far as I'm concerned, I just wish the games that were doing it were better but I'm more than willing to admit that I'm in too deep at this point and might have trouble seeing the forest from the trees. That said, the 1889 kickstarter reissue did pull in >$200k...

Valley of the Kings is excellent and one of the best deck-builders out there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What’s wrong with mars? I’ve played it 10 or so times and have no complaints other than it’s annoying when all your initial cards are expensive or dependent on high temperature/oxygen/oceans.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

What’s wrong with mars? I’ve played it 10 or so times and have no complaints other than it’s annoying when all your initial cards are expensive or dependent on high temperature/oxygen/oceans.

I too enjoy TM, but there is a lot of valid criticism about it. Most notable is probably that the best strategy is to avoid the engine building aspect as much as possible and just directly try to Terraform Mars. That basically means that the best approach is to not interact with most of the gameplay elements, which is damning as far as design goes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

If you and your group have fun playing anything good on you. I just get my back up personally about games like Wingspan and Terraforming Mars because I think they're prime examples of aggressively mediocre designs that skate by primarily on Theme™ and a dose of the cult of the new (something I'm not immune to myself, to be clear).

Wingspan gets "thoughtfully mediocre" because the rest of the design is so well-considered. Card rarity on each card? Yes please. I don't care about birds at all and the total package impressed me.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

golden bubble posted:

The main thing you lose with the castle is the consistency of the gain coin reward (only sometimes appears in 1303 instead of always being there), the ability to choose to get build actions via the castle track instead of from actual building actions. With the reduced number of turns, you don't need to have the different VPs per castle build based on the phase, and the split between immediate rewards and longer term boosts is still there since the extra powers are pretty strong. And ignoring the castle is still just as much of a bad idea in 1303 as it is in Caylus. There aren't enough VP generators to win if you ignore the castle and someone else doesn't, especially if the +VP for using gold on the castle power is in play. I'd say the change to the turn order track is more annoying between 1303 and Caylus.

In my experience not having the visible "wall" on the board and removing the penalty for not building the castle means that newer players are liable to forget or ignore the castle, causing them to lose. I don't own 1303 myself so I haven't taught it, but if I did I would strongly emphasize that aspect on the game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

drafting helps with this

EDIT: I really enjoy playing TM, but with 2-3 other players who've played before.

I was invited to be the 5th with 3 new players a couple weeks ago and declined as quickly and politely as I could.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 4, 2022

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

armorer posted:

I too enjoy TM, but there is a lot of valid criticism about it. Most notable is probably that the best strategy is to avoid the engine building aspect as much as possible and just directly try to Terraform Mars. That basically means that the best approach is to not interact with most of the gameplay elements, which is damning as far as design goes.

The other common criticism of TM is that the best approach is to not interact with the board at all in favor of building the tableau. If you (the reader) are wondering why these two completely contradictory criticisms are so endemic, its because the game is a luck-filled mess if you dont draft the cards.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

drafting helps with this

EDIT: I really enjoy playing TM, but with 2-3 other players who've played before.

I was invited to be the 5th with 3 new players a couple weeks ago and declined as quickly and politely as I could.

At which point you can play sushi go party for 70% of the weight at 20% of the rules burden and time investment.

TM is way too shallow for how long it takes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Dancer posted:

At which point you can play sushi go party for 70% of the weight at 20% of the rules burden and time investment.

This is my main issue with it. As Ark Nova is similar in play style but is more substantial and doesn't appear to need drafting, it is the TM style game in my library. Some day my son will edit my Ark Nova video and I'll post a link here.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

My main boardgaming pal loves loves looooves TM, bought all the expansions, and we settled on playing without the Colonies and Turmoil expansions and cards, 3 preludes instead of 2, and drafting an additional corporation that you can use the action/effect of so it's not a 3-4 hour slog. I'm sure this unbalances the game something fierce, but we do still play it most weeks. He's pre-ordered Ark Nova and I'm waiting for my copy of Great Western Trail 2e to ship, so hopefully I'll have a little more variety in the future.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dancer posted:

I played sushi go party and it did nothing for me so I'll pick TM each time if those are the only games around.

Of course there's a calculus we make whenever presented with X people, Y time, Z games, and A rules capacity.

Are there better games than TM? absolutely. sometimes you want to play TM and that's totally cool.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It has to be a good game otherwise people wouldnt talk about it here so much :D

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fate Accomplice posted:

Are there better games than TM? absolutely. sometimes you want to play TM and that's totally cool.

That's where I'm at with it. Sometimes I even get a craving for it. Can't always be playing 18MEX or Civ... unfortunately.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mayveena posted:

...the 2nd edition Great Western Trail now has Black engineers (anti historical yes, but when it comes to representation, having them there is important)...

This is great to hear, but he decided to not go with black cowboys which is both inclusive and historical? Or maybe you don't see pictures of cowboys besides the box cover, IDK never played?

edit: gently caress you COVID, what a miserable year for gaming. A few party games missing, but otherwise complete:

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 4, 2022

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Ha, another person who's played Farkle. I was beginning to think the whole thing was a hoax and I was the only one who'd played it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love Terraforming Mars, for the theme and the game elements. I'm annoyed by it, because I am never sure where I stand points-wise and always seem to lose when I think I'm winning and win when I'm sure I've lost. That's true of countless "count up the points at the end" games though and it's not a killer for me. I also get frustrated if I commit to a particular "thing" (like, I need to get lots of cards with science symbol on them" and then due to luck/variance I never see one again for the rest of the game.

Also I've pretty much only played TM two-player with my sister, who loves it more than I do, and she has her own playstyle idiosyncrasies, so as with most competitive 2-person games we play, our actual play may be somewhat different from "standard" or "normal".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

drafting helps with this

You'd have to absolutely loving psychotic not to play with drafting. The majority of the game , such as it is, is in the draft.

System mastery is an issue in TfM as well, there's a deck of 300 unique cards so you need to know what's possible.

The minimum to play TfM is drafting (is this seriously an optional rule?) and the Prelude expansion and even then some corps are just better than other ones.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I’ve been enlisted into Dwellings of Eldervale tomorrow. Anything I should know going in?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Resident Idiot posted:

Ha, another person who's played Farkle. I was beginning to think the whole thing was a hoax and I was the only one who'd played it.

My parents just recently found Farkle and apparently play it all the time. I played a game of it at Christmas. Probably would have played more except after our game I pulled out The Crew, and that was all we played for the rest of my stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

tinstaach posted:

My parents just recently found Farkle and apparently play it all the time. I played a game of it at Christmas. Probably would have played more except after our game I pulled out The Crew, and that was all we played for the rest of my stay.

Farkle's pretty good if you just want to get drunk and roll dice for an hour while saying funny words. I usually play it with someone who's vision impaired so more detailed games are behind them, but they can read clear dice.