Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Grendels Dad posted:

As someone who has met altogether too many people who weren't trying very hard at all, I find it more and more difficult to understand what people mean when they use 'tryhard' in a derogatory way.

I think it gets overused. Tryhard shouldn’t mean “someone who actually gives a poo poo”. It should be reserved for someone who tries too hard, to the point where they become disconnected from the context—especially the social context—of whatever they’re doing. For instance, if there’s a multiplayer video game with a casual mode, a tryhard is someone who gets mad that their teammates aren’t playing optimally, disregarding that someone playing casually might care more about having fun than about winning. My em dash usage above is also pretty tryhard because this is a post on a dead comedy forum and using it only makes me stand out as someone who cares too much about the distinction between em dashes and parentheses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

As someone who has met altogether too many people who weren't trying very hard at all, I find it more and more difficult to understand what people mean when they use 'tryhard' in a derogatory way.

tryhards make things weird by overdoing it or just acting very contrived

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Okay well to clarify I used the term to mean the way a lot of modern DC media is very concerned with being as rated R as possible and ends up becoming very juvenile as a result. Like yes it's funny to see Robotman yell "gently caress!" with Brendan Frasier's voice but I'm less interested in Dick Grayson graphically breaking a criminal's bones. I apologize for using "tryhard" to oversimplify these thoughts, but it's the word that came to mind (due to the aforementioned Twitter brain-poisoning).

The new Batman definitely strikes me as possibly overgrim and self-serious, but (at least from the trailers) it looks like it could be on the right side of "adult" where it gets to tell a classic Batman detective story without the constraints of Saturday morning programming. We won't know for sure until March though!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We already have 'grimdark' for this. Hell, there was the whole Dark Age of comic books where they all did this, and coincidentally it's about when kids all stopped reading them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Frankly I think the entire entertainment industry, outside of niche youtubers, could use a lot more trying hard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We already have 'grimdark' for this.

That's another word that barely means anything.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

“Tryhard” and “Grimdark” is primarily used by people to describe anything that tries to take itself seriously or set a certain tone, usually when the person in question thinks it should just be a big dumb loud fun movie instead.

I see this a lot in the Bond thread, for example.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

That's another word that barely means anything.

Point there, from being abused into uselessness. 'Edgy'? There's definitely a particular vein of the 'We can have BLOOD and SWEARS! Are you SHOCKED?! Isn't this GROWN-UP?!' that kids immediately turn off as cringetastic unless they're an extremely specific demographic and/or watching amateur animations on Newgrounds.

man nurse posted:

“Tryhard” and “Grimdark” is primarily used by people to describe anything that tries to take itself seriously or set a certain tone, usually when the person in question thinks it should just be a big dumb loud fun movie instead.

I see this a lot in the Bond thread, for example.

Yeah, a lot of people seem genuinely angered by anything that's not constantly reassuring them is meant to be empty spectacle they don't have to actually pay attention to.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

This is a non sequitur to whatever is going on in the thread currently but holy poo poo I am hyped for Across the Spiderverse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

This is a non sequitur to whatever is going on in the thread currently but holy poo poo I am hyped for Across the Spiderverse

A Spider-man musical? That doesn't bode well.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A Spider-man musical? That doesn't bode well.
It has to be a specific reference since Julie Taymor did Across the Universe and Turn Off the Dark right? I mean obviously it's a reference to the Beatles song, but that has to be the original brainstorming of the title.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I just learned there was apparently going to be an Attack on Titan stage show, but a key acrobat fell to his death so early on in testing out the wire suspension systems that they ended up cancelling the entire thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We already have 'grimdark' for this. Hell, there was the whole Dark Age of comic books where they all did this, and coincidentally it's about when kids all stopped reading them.

Kids were reading more comics than ever - the direct market and decline of newsstands (i.e. comics books anywhere and everywhere) killed comics.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I just learned there was apparently going to be an Attack on Titan stage show, but a key acrobat fell to his death so early on in testing out the wire suspension systems that they ended up cancelling the entire thing.

Japan loves doing stage adaptations of anime for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IQYm6ZwsUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKandZqE4Wk

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hello, I have a question, and, maybe it's been answered already? But I can't actually find any mentions of it in all the clickbait articles all over the net, but, in Spiderman: No Way Home,

Who was the dude in the background in the white negative space, in the rift during the spell at the beginning? Not Kraven or Rhino that we see at the end, but actually during the spell? It looked sorta silver surfer-esque, in that it just seemed to be quite a generic humanoid shape, but, in the moment it felt like it was going to be the Watcher or Sentry or something, just because of how 'otherworldly' it seemed, and how it was aware of the two of them there. Maybe it's just Kraven or maybe even Electro or something and I just couldn't make it out properly at the time, haven't been able to find a clip of it either. maybe I'm reading more into it than I should and it was just nothing specific, but that seems unlikely given it's a Marvel movie.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

https://twitter.com/insoftfocus/status/1475655589581709313

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Kids were reading more comics than ever - the direct market and decline of newsstands (i.e. comics books anywhere and everywhere) killed comics.
To be clear, that killed floppy mostly superhero comic books. Manga and more slice of life graphic novels like Raina Telgemeier's stuff is not only loving huge but also moved into classrooms which wasn't something comics were doing in the 90s.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be clear, that killed floppy mostly superhero comic books. Manga and more slice of life graphic novels like Raina Telgemeier's stuff is not only loving huge but also moved into classrooms which wasn't something comics were doing in the 90s.

Not so! I distinctly remember being given a comic in school about fire safety.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Maybe we need Comix movies. Where's my Mr. Natural origin?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

blastron posted:

I think it gets overused. Tryhard shouldn’t mean “someone who actually gives a poo poo”. It should be reserved for someone who tries too hard, to the point where they become disconnected from the context—especially the social context—of whatever they’re doing. For instance, if there’s a multiplayer video game with a casual mode, a tryhard is someone who gets mad that their teammates aren’t playing optimally, disregarding that someone playing casually might care more about having fun than about winning. My em dash usage above is also pretty tryhard because this is a post on a dead comedy forum and using it only makes me stand out as someone who cares too much about the distinction between em dashes and parentheses.

This morphed, like, within a month. If you won convincingly through playing well and beat people who were just trying to 360-no-scope all day in any FPS game, people just called you try-hards. This happened right around the Black Ops 1 release period if i recall correctly. It basically became an excuse for losing and saying "well we weren't really trying to win, unlike you!"

Now it morphed to:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, a lot of people seem genuinely angered by anything that's not constantly reassuring them is meant to be empty spectacle they don't have to actually pay attention to.

...where Disney movies figured out the formula of actively telling you that you don't have to take the setting or the universe seriously whenever anything fantastical or earnest happens because the characters themselves ALSO make a joke about it. With Snyder being the complete inverse to this, and compare reactions from the same demographic to those specific things.

I do like that MCU Spider-man 3 steps back from this a bit and allows some emotion to live without someone joking about it. Also why the snap in Infinity worked so well too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Tryhard" just reminds me of the IDLES song "Never Fight a Man With a Perm", so I just keep listening to that all day whenever I see this convo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MokBa posted:

Okay well to clarify I used the term to mean the way a lot of modern DC media is very concerned with being as rated R as possible and ends up becoming very juvenile as a result. Like yes it's funny to see Robotman yell "gently caress!" with Brendan Frasier's voice but I'm less interested in Dick Grayson graphically breaking a criminal's bones. I apologize for using "tryhard" to oversimplify these thoughts, but it's the word that came to mind (due to the aforementioned Twitter brain-poisoning).
That's edgelord, not tryhard

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spiderman thoughts: it was alright :shrug:
i hate the constant need to grind the movie to a halt for a bunch of awkward banter that goes on forever and isn’t the least bit funny

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The United States posted:

That's edgelord, not tryhard

Oh yeah that’s the word I wanted. My brain completely spaced on which silly internet teenager term I needed and now I’ve started an incredibly stupid derail. Whoops!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't think it's a stupid derail, this stuff stands in the way of understanding each other and of discussion.

Augus posted:

Spiderman thoughts: it was alright :shrug:
i hate the constant need to grind the movie to a halt for a bunch of awkward banter that goes on forever and isn’t the least bit funny

Come on over to the Spider-Man thread if you want to talk about it somemore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Wait..................... they are really going to make more Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies? LOL

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Point there, from being abused into uselessness. 'Edgy'? There's definitely a particular vein of the 'We can have BLOOD and SWEARS! Are you SHOCKED?! Isn't this GROWN-UP?!' that kids immediately turn off as cringetastic unless they're an extremely specific demographic and/or watching amateur animations on Newgrounds.

I spent well over a year getting to Supreme Commander and am currently Level 38 on Newgrounds. I did that specifically so I could have more power to nuke stupid loving poo poo like that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Wait..................... they are really going to make more Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies? LOL
According to who?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Me, I’m making them

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

omg chael crash posted:

Me, I’m making them

Thank you

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Edward Mass posted:

Maybe we need Comix movies. Where's my Mr. Natural origin?

iirc some of his material will not have aged well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Crows Turn Off posted:

According to who?

https://cvbj.biz/confirmed-sony-to-produce-the-amazing-spider-man-3-with-andrew-garfield.html

Maybe this is a bad source?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hmm looks legit:

quote:

fbq('init', '1384358188242876'); fbq('track', 'PageView');

lmao

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

quote:

At this point, dear reader, we did not want to say to you, but “innocent little dove that you allowed yourself to be fooled”, happy April Fool’s Day! Although the news is actually a joke, we hope that Sony will not take long to give the good news about the production of The Amazing Spider-Man 3.
I don't think they understand how April Fool's Day works...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Martman posted:

I don't think they understand how April Fool's Day works...

Motherfucker

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wasn't aware that the grimdark era started in the 1960s.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1478161591086505990

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It’s gonna be fully poo poo isn’t it?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sandwolf posted:

Why wouldn't it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I mean I feel like it will be but at very least this seems to be more "Sony has enough confidence in it doing well they don't want to release it in the middle of a gigantic pandemic upswing."