Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
low on petrol? Bing.

service due in x miles/days? Bing.

cold day? Bing.

serious engine faults? Bing.

massive oil/pressure loss? Bing.

several music tracks have what in the background? Bing.

and every time I stare at that little display screen in abject fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
My favorite way to get rid of any warning is the simple, apathetic press of a button:

“OK”

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Low washer fluid and low fuel on my old GTI have the same urgency with the same lights and warning designs and flashing a notice every three seconds.

Which was great for the years that I had a broken washer fluid level sensor.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

New pump&pump seals are a couple of :10bux:. The level float is on bottom of the pump. Just pull it out from fluid reservoir and install a new one. Getting to the reservoir might take some disassembly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ihmemies posted:

New pump&pump seals are a couple of :10bux:. The level float is on bottom of the pump. Just pull it out from fluid reservoir and install a new one. Getting to the reservoir might take some disassembly.

That's why I never fixed it. It eventually became intermittent. It was caused by a change in formula of Rain X washer fluid loving up the sensor. Haven't bought anything from them since.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DesperateDan posted:

low on petrol? Bing.

service due in x miles/days? Bing.

cold day? Bing.

serious engine faults? Bing.

massive oil/pressure loss? Bing.

several music tracks have what in the background? Bing.

and every time I stare at that little display screen in abject fear

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Uthor posted:

Low washer fluid and low fuel on my old GTI have the same urgency with the same lights and warning designs and flashing a notice every three seconds.

Blame Germany, not VW. I think it's illegal to run out of washer fluid on the Autobahn or some dumb poo poo. BMWs have the same warning light priority.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm replacing the gas struts on the hatch of my 2004 R32. I feel like I'm losing my dang mind because there's only one part number for the struts, but the socket heads of both are oriented for the passenger side -- i.e. on the driver side, I need a strut with one head rotated 180 degrees. However, it doesn't seem like there's any way to actually rotate these heads unless it just requires massive force. Am I missing something? Thanks.

E: in fact, the answer was “more force”

rope kid fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 27, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Post pics of ur wookie I fukkin love wookies

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It needs some TLC. I ordered a replacement for the missing "grille" on the driver side and need to find the license plate mount since I've stubbornly refused to do anything other than zip tie my plate on. If I keep it through 2024, I'll do a more comprehensive overhaul/repaint (original color, just to clean up the myriad dings and scratches). E: Just shy of 150k. I'm the original owner.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 27, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Holy gently caress that owns, also please don’t drill the bumper, I don’t think you can get new ones anymore, just do a toe hook mount.

Original owner this whole time and a Cali car :vince: if you ever think about selling seriously hit me up. I fell in love with them as a teen and would absolutely love to own one, almost did last year but couldn’t pull the trigger on it as a daily at this point.

But ya that’s awesome man, also cloth insert seats or full leather?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Thanks! Full leather. I wanted cloth but it was hard to get cloth seats on R32s in SoCal.

I have thought about selling it and getting an Alltrack but the prices on Alltracks are nuts right now. :negative:

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Yay snow

Thou the Ibiza is not a good winter car :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rosoboronexport posted:

Yay snow

Thou the Ibiza is not a good winter car :(

Sounds like a good purchase, you must live somewhere that doesn't have long or harsh winters I guess

ah

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like a good purchase, you must live somewhere that doesn't have long or harsh winters I guess

ah

Nah there is usually snow in the ground for 10-20 days per year in these parts, this might be over before new year :v:

The main complaint is the boot opening mechanism which is that you twist the badge like in VW. Unlike VW the badge is wholly embedded so if any amount of moisture gets there it's frozen solid and you'll have to open it via the remote.

Other things (freezing door seals and frozen door locks that won't lock up when you close the door) appear to be concern-wide.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Just realized the Mk7 Golf R does NOT have a sunroof and now I want one even more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VelociBacon posted:

ah

They’re Finnish, they can probably handle the car through a meter of snow, sideways, just fine

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Styles Bitchley posted:

Just realized the Mk7 Golf R does NOT have a sunroof and now I want one even more.

would recommend.

only thing i dont like is how 'sport mode' just keeps the turbo spun up and a gear down and is all but useless in city driving unless you want to convert 93 octane gas into noise

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

would recommend.

only thing i dont like is how 'sport mode' just keeps the turbo spun up and a gear down and is all but useless in city driving unless you want to convert 93 octane gas into noise

Are you saying this car has antilag because I don't know how they could do that with a catalytic converter in place? Would be amazing though.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

coming up on 18 years old now

Styles Bitchley posted:

sawzall and some gumption, imo

probably leak less than a factory install

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

VelociBacon posted:

Are you saying this car has antilag because I don't know how they could do that with a catalytic converter in place? Would be amazing though.

i'm probably saying it wrong? it just seems to consistently keep the revs higher, by being a gear down from where it would be in "non sport" mode which is useless if you dont have 20 feet of space in front of you.

or maybe i'm using sport mode wrong idk

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

i'm probably saying it wrong? it just seems to consistently keep the revs higher, by being a gear down from where it would be in "non sport" mode which is useless if you dont have 20 feet of space in front of you.

or maybe i'm using sport mode wrong idk

Ah yeah that would help spool it up faster but isn't actual antilag. What you're describing sounds pretty much like every sport mode that automatics have these days. It's a lot more sporrt at those higher rev ranges.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Getting ready to swap out the DOT headlights on my 4000 Quattro with some e-codes from a UrQuattro, having to 3D print some replacement parts for the adjusters.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You can lubricate the door seals with silicone. The stuff used for kumisaappaat/wellingtons treatment. You can try to lubricate the door lock latch axle with aseöljy/gun oil. The latch grabs the U hook in car's body and the latch revolves around an axle.

These things may or may not help. I had to buy 2 new lock mechanisms for my A6 and one lock and one door handle cable for my S8. Now everything works smoothly no matter the weather.

My A6 had some kind of pressure sensitive trigger above trunk's licence plate holder. It always worked. My S8's trunk is opened by pressing the physical lock body to inside the trunk. It has also always worked. So VAG engineers can produce working solutions, if they want to.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 29, 2021

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Ihmemies posted:

You can lubricate the door seals with silicone. The stuff used for kumisaappaat/wellingtons treatment. You can try to lubricate the door lock latch axle with aseöljy/gun oil. The latch grabs the U hook in car's body and the latch revolves around an axle.
Yep, ran the silicone treatment on the seals and weather has warmed up from the -20 C it was so not a problem any more. It's just jarring that the Mazda 2 I had before had no such problem so Mazda probably spent few more cents for improved materials. The passenger side door was mechanism related, possibly moisture somewhere in there? As again, temperature is not -20 C any more so no problem, unfortunately when the mechanism jammed I was running errands with my 1yo child (child seat was in the back and that door's mechanism worked) so I had to improvise a temporary restraint from seatbelt so I got the car to warm parking garage for 15 mins after which the latch mechanism started to work again.

quote:

My A6 had some kind of pressure sensitive trigger above trunk's licence plate holder. It always worked. My S8's trunk is opened by pressing the physical lock body to inside the trunk. It has also always worked. So VAG engineers can produce working solutions, if they want to.
Yep, VW has the same design, you pull on the bottom of the rear logo and it engages the trigger mechanism. The logo protrudes from the hatch slightly and it feels like the mechanism never jams and moves more smoothly than on my car. The logo on my car is small and square and as I'm writing this, frozen solid. As it's not that cold I could probably carefully tap the logo with my knuckles to break the ice but I just use the remote control to open it.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

VelociBacon posted:

Ah yeah that would help spool it up faster but isn't actual antilag. What you're describing sounds pretty much like every sport mode that automatics have these days. It's a lot more sporrt at those higher rev ranges.

I’d really like it to have a mode between D and S which was a bit more responsive and didn’t try to get into 6th as quickly as possible, but doesn’t mean doing like 5000rpm around town all the time. (You can sort of do it by setting the speed limiter, because that interacts with the gearbox so when you’re at/near the set speed it’ll change up, but :effort: )

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My S8 has different gear ratios compared to a regular model. It means same gears are maybe 200-400rpm higher even in D mode compared to "economy" cars. It wears out the engine faster and uses more gasoline, but as a result there's always quite good power available even in D mode. S is kind o unusable because I get only speeding tickets if I try to drive like that. I guess it would be cool in a bank robbery gone wrong escape situation..

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My 98 STI type-ra v-ltd would do around 3200rpm at 100kph in a 5 speed. They got away with it by having an 8k redline I guess.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Any recommendations on good VW mechanics in the Southern California area? Currently driving a 2013 Golf R, and I'd like to have some options besides the dealership for servicing just in case - don't have the tools to do a whole lot myself.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

StandardVC10 posted:

Any recommendations on good VW mechanics in the Southern California area? Currently driving a 2013 Golf R, and I'd like to have some options besides the dealership for servicing just in case - don't have the tools to do a whole lot myself.

Not sure where in SoCal you are, but Koromodiv in Riverside has a really good reputation in the VAG community. I take my Audi to Garage Horch in Montclair and they are basically certified Audi dealership mechanics doing the shop as a side gig. They've been really cool and are friendly to mods and whatnot.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/fZr2Y6V.jpg https://i.imgur.com/fZr2Y6V.jpg[/timg]

Have I mentioned that I love my click wheel mmi and also hate that the menu button is an inch away from the cup holder? A few americanos without stoppers made just enough micro spills to render the button useless. Very very fun to get to if you need to clean too….

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

That sucks.
B9 dials and switches are literal ASMR.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

That sucks.
B9 dials and switches are literal ASMR.

I absolutely agree* and think the switch to all touch was a mistake.

*until coffee gets in there

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There have been times in my B9 when I was using Android Auto and wished I had touchscreen and the existing controls, but never have I ever wanted to replace the existing controls with touch. Every chance I get, I tell Audi that I think their move toward touchscreens is a mistake that zeroes out my brand loyalty.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’d also be happy with the touch screen and button interface combo that BMW is using. I just wish you could use the touch pad on the click wheel to interact with CarPlay.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There have been times in my B9 when I was using Android Auto and wished I had touchscreen and the existing controls, but never have I ever wanted to replace the existing controls with touch. Every chance I get, I tell Audi that I think their move toward touchscreens is a mistake that zeroes out my brand loyalty.

the touchscreen in my wife's 2021 Q5 is the best I've ever used

and its still loving garbage compared to the click wheel in my S5.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I bought a C7 instead of a C8 A6 for precisely this reason (plus their move from supercharger to turbo) .

I'll keep it running until I can move into an EV.

The problem with future Audi EV is there's no unique selling points, ie. Torsen Quattro, neat engines, awesome switchgear...

Hope I'm wrong.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

JamesOff posted:

I’d really like it to have a mode between D and S which was a bit more responsive and didn’t try to get into 6th as quickly as possible, but doesn’t mean doing like 5000rpm around town all the time. (You can sort of do it by setting the speed limiter, because that interacts with the gearbox so when you’re at/near the set speed it’ll change up, but :effort: )

M :haw:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JamesOff posted:

Yeah, that's just shifting it into manual. My Q7 TDI does the same thing. So what I do is use S to accelerate poo poo points for passing/merging and then shift into D for cruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

smooth jazz posted:

The problem with future Audi EV is there's no unique selling points, ie. Torsen Quattro, neat engines, awesome switchgear...

Hope I'm wrong.

This is actually a fair point in general. What will differentiate EVs once the teething problems are resolved in a generation or so? I would assume that motor configuration, torque/hp and range are all going to be comparable at a given price tier.

So, basically just cabin appointments, electronics and body style?

Which, I guess describes every turbo 4cyl car in the 25-40k range today...