Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Some big orgs appear to be doubling down on not really promoting magic anymore and just hoping people continue to buy cards. Bold move cotton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Lone Goat posted:

Full art/whatever promo cards have higher collector numbers, here's all the Olivia in vow https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=released&q=%21%22Olivia%2C+Crimson+Bride%22+include%3Aextras&unique=prints

Yeah, but if you look closely, you'll see that the collector's number for Eiganjo Uprising is 196, whereas Eiganjo, Seat Of The Empire is 268/302; based on the current showcase formatting (assuming this is a showcase version), Uprising's number should be over 302 shouldn't it?

Looks like it's probably 396, which would make more sense

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 4, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It really is a feel bad that SCG is moving away from coverage. I think it's a huge mistake.

Also Eiganjo is a nuts card.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

plainswalker75 posted:

Yeah, but if you look closely, you'll see that the collector's number for Eiganjo Uprising is 196, whereas Eiganjo, Seat Of The Empire is 268/302; based on the current showcase formatting (assuming this is a showcase version), Uprising's number should be over 302 shouldn't it?

Looks like it might be 396 to me? The first number is really blurry so I’m not super confident in that guess.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

plainswalker75 posted:

Uprising looks like 396 to me, I might be wrong though

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

HootTheOwl posted:

Takenuma, Abandoned Mire

Channel, 3B: Mill 3 then return a creature or PW from GY to hand
It was in the same leak as the new Horobi, which is the back-side of ...something. (O-Kagachi being the back-side of a saga suggests it also is a saga)

Not bad. Seems like good grindy value.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If anything the thread is hilariously low on the channel lands (except for McMagic). Just remember that Spikefield Hazard, Kabira Takedown, and Kazandu Mammoth all saw a lot of standard play and the land side of those ETB tapped where the channel lands don't. Like maybe going over 2 copies is a real decision you have to make but just the fact that it's a split between a reasonably costed spell that doesn't give card disadvantage and an ETB untapped land that doesn't hurt you is insane.

E: Also compare to cycling lands which always see a lot of play, which always ETB tapped and paying 2 to draw a random card from your deck is quite a bit less powerful than destroy an attacker/blocker or a raise dead.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 4, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Aside from having a couple in your deck for Field of Ruin, and Snarls (lol) there's almost no reason for a deck to require basics in standard is there?

Oh and Snow mana I suppose.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ultima66 posted:

If anything the thread is hilariously low on the channel lands (except for McMagic). Just remember that Spikefield Hazard, Kabira Takedown, and Kazandu Mammoth all saw a lot of standard play and the land side of those ETB tapped where the channel lands don't. Like maybe going over 2 copies is a real decision you have to make but just the fact that it's a split between a reasonably costed spell that doesn't give card disadvantage and an ETB untapped land that doesn't hurt you is insane.

E: Also compare to cycling lands which always see a lot of play, which always ETB tapped and paying 2 to draw a random card from your deck is quite a bit less powerful than destroy an attacker/blocker or a raise dead.

Those 4 plus Jawri Disruption are absolute standard staples and they ETB tapped. Untapped free lands that do something will be all over Standard, Modern and Pioneer. NTM the effects on the cards are uncounterable. They are very good.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 4, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One is 100% free, two is probably close enough to free that you run it almost all the time, three and four are more of a maybe. At least if swapping them 1:1 with regular lands.

If you run four copies, there will be games where your third land on turn 3 is a second copy of the same legendary, which is a big self-own.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Jabor posted:

One is 100% free, two is probably close enough to free that you run it almost all the time, three and four are more of a maybe. At least if swapping them 1:1 with regular lands.

If you run four copies, there will be games where your third land on turn 3 is a second copy of the same legendary, which is a big self-own.

Spell lands let you play MORE lands in your deck, not the other way around. We had the exact same experience with Zendikar spell lands and Amonkhet cycling lands, and being able to get away with jamming 35 "lands" in your deck is actually a huge benefit to consistency.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ultima66 posted:

Spell lands let you play MORE lands in your deck, not the other way around. We had the exact same experience with Zendikar spell lands and Amonkhet cycling lands, and being able to get away with jamming 35 "lands" in your deck is actually a huge benefit to consistency.

It's not as much of a consistency benefit when it's not actually a land past a certain point in the game. You only have the spell option, so the spell needs to be reliably worth a card.

The raise dead land? Yeah, that's 100% worth a card late, you probably do play four copies in anything that's enough of a creature deck to reliably have something to recover. Deal damage to an attacking unit? I'm not so sure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jabor posted:

It's not as much of a consistency benefit when it's not actually a land past a certain point in the game. You only have the spell option, so the spell needs to be reliably worth a card.

The raise dead land? Yeah, that's 100% worth a card late, you probably do play four copies in anything that's enough of a creature deck to reliably have something to recover. Deal damage to an attacking unit? I'm not so sure.

It becomes better when you consider that it’s an ability, not a spell so it’s much more difficult to counter

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It becomes better when you consider that it’s an ability, not a spell so it’s much more difficult to counter

Only slightly relevant for the raise dead (they can still just counter the creature you picked up), not very relevant at all for the damage (unless there happens to be a blue tempo deck that really tries to spell pierce your interaction instead of like, giving stuff hexproof).

Might be more relevant for the other cards in the cycle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lone Goat posted:

Aside from having a couple in your deck for Field of Ruin, and Snarls (lol) there's almost no reason for a deck to require basics in standard is there?

Oh and Snow mana I suppose.

Divide by Zero is very popular and Environmental Sciences needs basics.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Channel is sweet because iirc, it’s basically a fixed version of mechanic that was submitted for an invitational winner like 20 years ago that was deemed too powerful. I believe the card submitted by the player was a land that tapped for blue, or 2UU tap and discard a card called ~cardname to counter target spell. I think it even had channel in the name.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

meanolmrcloud posted:

Channel is sweet because iirc, it’s basically a fixed version of mechanic that was submitted for an invitational winner like 20 years ago that was deemed too powerful. I believe the card submitted by the player was a land that tapped for blue, or 2UU tap and discard a card called ~cardname to counter target spell. I think it even had channel in the name.

Seems like a strictly upgraded Grandeur I think, where you don't need the first one in play to use it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems like a strictly upgraded Grandeur I think, where you don't need the first one in play to use it.

I was thinking that's what it probably is, haven't they said they wanted to bring back Grandeur but they didn't want a keyword that was impossible to use in Commander?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Channel was from original Kamigawa.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Channel as a mechanic predates Grandeur.

meanolmrcloud posted:

This is true but I believe it went the other way around. Tiago Chan won the invitational in 2007, and Channel was introduced as a mechanic in Saviors of Kamigawa in 2005. Tiago almost certainly called his card "Denying Channel" as a reference to the mechanic, because at that time they didn't really repeat mechanics in sets outside of the few actual evergreen keywords.

Also a bonus, when you look up the article now you see this:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Channel is "Pay cost, Discard this card [from your hand], do something" Like others have said it's from Saviors and is on one of my favorite Enduring Ideal Super-Secret-Tech pieces, Jiwari, the Earth Aflame

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I know Channel is just an ability word so it doesn't actually mean anything, but it feels weird to bring it back and not have the channel effect be related to the card ability (and it was only ever on creatures before). Like if they brought Threshold back but changed the threshold value or something

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

It's really weird to see Channel on a card and not have it be sacking life for mana.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sru0rt

Most importantly, Resleevables podcast is still gonna happen. Cedric is moving to Denver and once he gets settled in, they'll start recording again.

"Ceddy Bear" :kimchi:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

No one is gonna play 4. 1 will be all over the place and 2 is tops if there are any really good ones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What is the difference between Channel and Cycling?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

VictualSquid posted:

Cycling draws you a card, Channel requires you to read the card to figure out what it does.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

Channel is "Pay cost, Discard this card [from your hand], do something" Like others have said it's from Saviors and is on one of my favorite Enduring Ideal Super-Secret-Tech pieces, Jiwari, the Earth Aflame

That and Arashi, the Sky Asunder are frequently used as board wipes in my Nykia of the Old Ways monster mash EDH deck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VictualSquid posted:

Cycling is "pay cost. Discard this. Draw a card" and sometimes other things happen when you do.
Channel will always do something, but doesn't draw a card. (Unless the ability says to. Currently none do)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Channel feels like a dual-faced card except you can’t counter the backside?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arcturas posted:

Channel feels like a dual-faced card except you can’t counter the backside?

It's kicker except you don't pay the casting cost

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Devor posted:

It's kicker except you don't pay the casting cost

Basically every magic mechanic is kicker.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Channel is an extremely cool mechanic that suffers from the Kicker problem of being way, way too broad. I'm super glad they're going back to it in earnest rather than chipping away at it like they usually do.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

It's not kicker, it's a split card. You are getting one of two completely different effects.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Back in OG Kamigawa, Channel was only on Spirits, and it did something related to an ability that the creature side had. So there was definitely a thematic connection between the two halves.

Also Spirits had another mechanic where when your spirits died, they would return other spirits from your graveyard to your hand. So there was also a link between the spirit mechanics.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At the most abstract I guess there's

Kicker (do a thing and/or another thing at the same time): kicker, multikicker, madness
Flashback (do a thing then another thing at a later time): flashback, adventures, aftermath
Split cards (do a thing or do a different thing): the modal DFC, channel, actual split cards
Threshold (do a thing depending on circumstances): threshold, delirium, metalcraft

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
If new-Channel is only on this cycle, or only on lands this time, then it seems pointless to bring it back as a named mechanic doing something completely different to the original use. Strixhaven had the Prismari treasure-making vertical cycle without that being a named mechanic.

But maybe it's only on legendary permanents this time, so it can be on some creatures as well and link back to the old version as well as old Kamigawa's legends theme?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Waiting for the Green one to be even moderately strong and just shove 4 in a deck with Slogurk, Wrenn & Six, and Life from the Loam

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Show me the blue one and make it good for modern merfolk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Huxley posted:

At the most abstract I guess there's

Kicker (do a thing and/or another thing at the same time): kicker, multikicker, madness
Flashback (do a thing then another thing at a later time): flashback, adventures, aftermath
Split cards (do a thing or do a different thing): the modal DFC, channel, actual split cards
Threshold (do a thing depending on circumstances): threshold, delirium, metalcraft

Flashback is kicker that has rules text about zones

Split cards are kicker that use the word "instead"

Threshold is kicker with an "if"