Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Zesty posted:

Famous pair. Two people from a band that was famously four people.
That was so terribly written that I assumed I misread it. They need to flush their staff and bring in new people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Arthur Chu documentary was great because it proved you right for hating him during his run.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I will never understand people who pass up the chance to say, "I'll make it a true Daily Double," especially when they actually are making it a Daily Double, i.e. betting all their money, anyway. (Maybe these are people who haven't watched the show as much so they don't attach any sanctity to the phrase/concept?)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Also "You can bet up to $1000." "I'll make it a true Daily Double!" "Okay, for $1600 if you're right..."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think "I'll bet it all" sounds better

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I think "I'll bet it all" sounds better

The OG :cool:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I miss when champs were fun and actually had personality

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

banned from Starbucks posted:

hmm

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

:whitewater:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Matt and Amy are boring so was fat afro guy whos named I cant even remember.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Can you go find another thread to poo poo up?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

making GBS threads up this thread is your domain zesty.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah and they make it an art

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey so my friend Cory will be a contestant on 1/13. He was my lifeline when I went on millionaire.

Not about to ask who he played against.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/jeopardamy/status/1478166129616961536?s=21

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/trans-jeopardy-champ-amy-schneider-says-was-robbed-recent-attack-rcna10900

A spokesperson for “Jeopardy!” said they had reached out to Schneider to offer support.

“We were deeply saddened to hear about this incident, and we reached out to Amy privately to offer our help in any capacity,” the show said in an email to NBC News.

Police in Oakland, where Schneider resides, confirmed that they are investigating an armed robbery on Sunday afternoon without identifying the victim.

Candace Kea, a police spokesperson, told NBC News in an email that two people, one armed, fled after robbing the victim of “personal belongings.” No arrests had been made as of early Tuesday afternoon, Kea said.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I mean, that sucks, but what is Jeopardy supposed to do? Seems weird to look to them to say, “Well…?!” like that article seems to imply by even including them.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 5, 2022

Sep 26, 2020

That's so rude, I was only a one day champion this season but I swear I was fun.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I am a zero-day champion, having never been on the show, and I'm no fun at all, so the logic checks out

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A two-day 2nd runner up checking in (first time they thought something was up so they invited me back and it turns out, no, they did nothing wrong, "he's just that dumb.")

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've failed the test several times, and apparently people enjoy my company, suck it nerds!

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
She's not doing that great tonight :ohdear:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I lost to a fun-ish superchamp

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I started the trend of goons winning.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, Claire McNear is asking the same questions I am: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/1/6/22869689/jeopardy-season-streaks-amy-schneider-matt-amodio

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And now the NYT is too: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/09/...ZOgR8402vzoROmg

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

More contestants need to take Mayim’s brain pills, they would just be smart if they took the pills.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

somebody on twitter said that they're reusing clues in the warmup portion, which could be a very small contributor to amy's buzzer dominance

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
Just Asking Questions about the game's integrity as soon as a trans woman starts winning

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

moonmazed posted:

Just Asking Questions about the game's integrity as soon as a trans woman starts winning

asking questions about a potentially increased champion advantage during a season where champions have overperformed to an absurd degree, sure, you got me, i'm jk rowling in disguise

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel that it's worth pointing out that the modern American game show is legally held to a higher ethical standard than modern American journalism, so an outfit like the NYT jUsT aSkInG qUeStIoNs strikes me as a little rich.

You think anybody would risk a nickle in a federal prison to help somebody like Arthur fuckin Chu? Goddamn, Mark Burnett had to shitcan "our little genius," an entire prime time series for Fox a few years back on the *whiff* of impropriety, never mind whether or not anything actually fishy was going on.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It doesn't help that the top American newspapers (NYT, Washington Post, WSJ) and media suck up to the powerful & wealthy so strongly they could raise a sunken ship so we try to make things fair to what can be controlled while we end up with Gilded Age 2.0: Christian Theocracy edition

Not that the show would be allowed as is at that point anyway.

Note: I'm subscribed to two of the papers

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I feel that it's worth pointing out that the modern American game show is legally held to a higher ethical standard than modern American journalism, so an outfit like the NYT jUsT aSkInG qUeStIoNs strikes me as a little rich.

You think anybody would risk a nickle in a federal prison to help somebody like Arthur fuckin Chu? Goddamn, Mark Burnett had to shitcan "our little genius," an entire prime time series for Fox a few years back on the *whiff* of impropriety, never mind whether or not anything actually fishy was going on.

Yeah, I certainly don't think there's anything hinky going on. But I think it's interesting that we've got so many superchamps within a year of Alex's death, especially since there are so many different things that could have led to this (all the covid stuff, the anytime test, the host change) and it might also be a combination of all of that.

Spokes posted:

somebody on twitter said that they're reusing clues in the warmup portion, which could be a very small contributor to amy's buzzer dominance

This is the laziest loving thing and it makes me mad because it's just one of those tiny things that as you say doesn't really affect much but still shows how J! is going downhill. Like, would it REALLY be that hard to just jump onto J-archive and take all the clues from an old game?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean it seems pretty obvious that something is happening to produce such a high number of power-players in a super short time frame but I really doubt that it's a conspiracy or anything dumb like that. I don't know, I think the article in the Ringer brings up a lot of possible reasons and there's not really much that can (or even should really IMO) be done about that, but it's interesting to see.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty posted:

With covid, the player pool has been limited. So anyone with skill that gets in is just going to mop the floor with players who would have normally been rejected.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Two. It's two people. You can't do statistics with two.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is nuts that Jennings went on his run the very first season the limit was lifted. Wonder how many megachamps there'd be if the limit had never been in place.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is nuts that Jennings went on his run the very first season the limit was lifted. Wonder how many megachamps there'd be if the limit had never been in place.

We'll always get to wonder about Brad Rutter.

Also the NYT article isn't alleging/JAQing, lmao. Many people don't know about the protections in place against rigged games, the article has to address that somewhere.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

This isn’t true though and hasn’t been true for a while now. If anything it’s easier to get on now because you can do the test any time, and instead of going to an in-person audition in your city (or travelling for one) once a year you do a zoom audition now. The fact that it’s easier to get on might play a role but it’s certainly not a limited pool.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Responsible intelligent people are not crossing the country for a game show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HookShot posted:

This isn’t true though and hasn’t been true for a while now. If anything it’s easier to get on now because you can do the test any time, and instead of going to an in-person audition in your city (or travelling for one) once a year you do a zoom audition now. The fact that it’s easier to get on might play a role but it’s certainly not a limited pool.

Wasn't there a time when they were only having contestants from a small relatively local area beccause they weren't flying in people from all over the country amid a pandemic?