Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is this bad?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1478191072073420802?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pancake rabbit posted:

coughing in memphis

Oh mama
Can this really be the end
To be sick inside of memphis in the ICU again

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Shear Modulus posted:

decoupling is hopium that the vaccines are so good and omicron is so mild that you can have a million cases but it doesn't matter, maybe one of them is going to get sick enough to feel anything. so cases don't cause hospitalizations any more

the hospitalizations don't count either because the disease is so mild and under control that people are going out and living their lives even after they have covid, and they're going to the hospital only after they break their arm rock climbing and then test positive for covid and didn't even know they had it (because it's so mild you don't notice it)

Man it's weird that BASE jumping took off as a hobby at the same time as COVID and now we have millions of excess broken arms with incidental COVID filling hospitals left and right. I heard half the million dead were in car wrecks! even though there's like only 50k fatal motor vehicle wrecks annually.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

this...this might be the version i have. been crazy tired for the past three days with a slight cough but even eating oatmeal and soup is giving me some real delightful stomach issues. admittedly i have pretty bad IBS so who knows if its COVID or just the normal hell i deal with regularly

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

it’s worse than bad

it’s over

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
loving odd how looking for cute dogs to cheer me up lead me to this

https://theconversation.com/hong-kong-dog-causes-panic-but-heres-why-you-neednt-worry-about-pets-spreading-covid-19-133304

well that didnt age well :(

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

All right

So what should a person do once they pop hot? Lotta water, keep the vitamin D up, probably stay on baby aspirin at least for a while if it can help at all with minimizing micro clots

What else?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

pancake rabbit posted:

coughing in memphis

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Healthy young child goes to Applebees, gets pumped full of many many viruses, doesn't feel good and changes - EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA. Many such cases!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

speng31b posted:

** heart monitor flatlines **

excuse me sir, sir? can you resuscitate for just a moment? would you say you're dying BECAUSE of covid? sir?

The most common reasons for hospitalization are birth, heart failure, and sepsis. All of those conditions make it bad news if you catch covid in the hospital!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

All right

So what should a person do once they pop hot? Lotta water, keep the vitamin D up, probably stay on baby aspirin at least for a while if it can help at all with minimizing micro clots

What else?
go watch spiderman, you've earned it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mild thing
u make my heart ping
u make everything
a cheese smoothie

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Substandard posted:

I'm just a lowly librarian, but what the gently caress does this even mean?

"hospitalizations and cases are decoupled" would seem like it means that cases are going up but hospitalizations are not seeing a corresponding increase? We can already see an increase in hospitalizations here. This seems particularly weird in a study of patients admitted to a hospital. Didn't 100% of these cases get admitted? Also who the hell is getting admitted without severe COVID?

It's a weird, stupid way of phrasing the idea that you can get a lot of cases and not a lot of hospitalizations. It also... doesn't actually make any sense. No one credible ever claimed that vaccines provide 10000000% protection against hospitalization. Vaccines could be 99% effective and there would still be a direct relationship between case spikes and hospitalization spikes. There's no "decoupling." It's a stupid idea.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Shear Modulus posted:

i ordered some ihealthlabs tests last wednesday and they arrived today. i think they ship from california though so they didn't have to go far at all to get to me

Good to hear! If they come any time this week it will be sooner than Amazon or any big pharmacy could have gotten them to me.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dolphin posted:

go watch spiderman, you've earned it

I stopped halfway through the 2nd toby maguire movie

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

post the bean soup and cornbread recipe

https://www.southernliving.com/food/bread/appalanchian-cornbread-recipes

this is pretty close to the soup beans I grew up with - though add a ham hock or two at the beginning then pick it at the end and add the meat, go heavy on the onions, a carrot would be a nice addition, and who puts tumeric in soup beans I’ve never heard of such.

corn bread, just add some jalapeños, mmm. I have never cared for chow chow so don’t ask me about that :shrug:

but soup beans are great. I could eat on a pot
for days and not get tired of them.

McNugget Buddy posted:

I can confirm Chise worked at Fort Detrick

lmfao

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

*doctor sticks an IV in ur arm, mild nacho cheese comes out*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

:toot:

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

pillsburysoldier posted:

I stopped halfway through the 2nd toby maguire movie

That's as good as they ever get.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
pretty sure diarrhea was a known symptom of covid going back to Wuhan-1

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

finally, we can unwind the mystery of what is putting all these people in the hospital, since it isn't covid. once we figure out what it is the government will mount a capable, swift response, after all, something is killing thousands thousands a day and hospitalizing thousands more and we really need to get to the bottom of what it could be!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Also "decoupling" is to some degree an artifact of how we display COVID data. People who want to time shift and line up hospitalizations almost always scale the hospitalization graph to match the first peak in cases. That results in every subsequent wave appearing more "mild" because we were drastically under testing during the first wave, so the relative rate of hospitalizations to positive tests appears much higher.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

https://www.southernliving.com/food/bread/appalanchian-cornbread-recipes

this is pretty close to the soup beans I grew up with - though add a ham hock or two at the beginning then pick it at the end and add the meat, go heavy on the onions, a carrot would be a nice addition, and who puts tumeric in soup beans I’ve never heard of such.

corn bread, just add some jalapeños, mmm. I have never cared for chow chow so don’t ask me about that :shrug:

but soup beans are great. I could eat on a pot
for days and not get tired of them.

lmfao

thank you

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

McNugget Buddy posted:

Hey guess what search term is spiking at its highest level ever right now that Nate conveniently ignored

at least they won't need the 3M 2091 filters

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gradenko_2000 posted:

pretty sure diarrhea was a known symptom of covid going back to Wuhan-1

There was a hypothesis way back then that it gave you gastro symptoms if ingested, and respiratory symptoms if inhaled. Did anyone ever test that?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Data note: January 3rd, 2022
The U.S. is reporting 1,045,968 new coronavirus cases, an increase of 121% from last week. Although this is easily the highest number of cases ever reported in one day, it will not be counted as a one-day record because it includes backlogs from the (holiday) weekend for dozens of states.

The running seven-day average for daily cases stands at 494,660, up from 412,680 on Sunday. Several states, including California and Georgia, have not yet reported their backlogs from the holiday weekend.

Meanwhile, the number of Americans hospitalized with COVID-19 has surpassed 100,000, the highest since January 2021. The tally saw a net increase of 6,034, which is the biggest jump in one day since July 2020.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
What do people feel is the non-COVID answer to record levels of hospitalization everywhere? Attempted suicide from all our regressive lockdowns? Vaccine poisoning?

Honestly every crazy person I've personally talked to has a story about a guy who got hospitalized/killed in a car wreck and then counted as a COVID case, but again, there are only like 50k motor vehicle deaths total annually.

Paradoxish posted:

It's a weird, stupid way of phrasing the idea that you can get a lot of cases and not a lot of hospitalizations. It also... doesn't actually make any sense. No one credible ever claimed that vaccines provide 10000000% protection against hospitalization. Vaccines could be 99% effective and there would still be a direct relationship between case spikes and hospitalization spikes. There's no "decoupling." It's a stupid idea.

Yes, that's what I thought.. it's only "decoupled" if they have no relationship

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Also "decoupling" is to some degree an artifact of how we display COVID data. People who want to time shift and line up hospitalizations almost always scale the hospitalization graph to match the first peak in cases. That results in every subsequent wave appearing more "mild" because we were drastically under testing during the first wave, so the relative rate of hospitalizations to positive tests appears much higher.

it's quite a dilemma. the capitalist blood gods want to stop testing so much, but if they stop testing they can't say it's "decoupled" anymore!

so this "with vs of" covid is a perfect solution. soon we'll be able to handwave away 50% of the number and conveniently there's no data on "incidentals" for any past waves so nothing to compare it to. just a magic handwave and "don't worry these aren't the hospitalizations you're looking for"

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

:cheers:

though I’ve gotta say the reports of massive explosive diarrhea are making me think of the twilight zone episode where the nerd gets to live in the library but breaks his glasses.

surrounded by bean soup….now just part of a smashed landscape, just a piece of the rubble…

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Substandard posted:

What do people feel is the non-COVID answer to record levels of hospitalization everywhere? Attempted suicide from all our regressive lockdowns? Vaccine poisoning?

Honestly every crazy person I've personally talked to has a story about a guy who got hospitalized/killed in a car wreck and then counted as a COVID case, but again, there are only like 50k motor vehicle deaths total annually.

There is no answer and they have not considered it because the conclusion has already been made and the evidence is being provided afterwards.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
the next narrative will be the doctors are making them Covid cases for “the money”

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
congratulations folks, we did it
https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1478211799413669891

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Rah! posted:

*doctor sticks an IV in ur arm, mild nacho cheese comes out*

IDIOT the doctor sticks the IV to give you extra nacho cheese from a bag

a nacho cheese draw is when the cheese comes out

smh

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Papes posted:

the next narrative will be the doctors are making them Covid cases for “the money”

chuds already used that one

blue maga will too

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Papes posted:

There would have to be some money.. This might have been true under Trup, but we say "open biden" now and there will be no stimulus for poo poo.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Excited for hospital capacity data in a week

hard to cheer with a mask on

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Substandard posted:

They say people are testing positive and getting hospitalized as a precaution. Why are the hospitals overwhelmed? It's all the nurses quitting because of vaccine mandates! All the statistics saying this is untrue? Fake news

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Substandard posted:

up until now there's been no demand to report widely (in big headlines) on "total resourcing" because there wasn't a huge media campaign to blame incidentals, but i expect we'll see that change now

even the articles you see published about bed shortages are usually fairly anecdotal and not backed up by concrete data of utilization over time. one reason is that data doesn't graph as cleanly, since resourcing is flexible (we add more "staffed beds" number to a spreadsheet)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Good Citizen posted:

whoever recommended the new archspire album yesterday I just wanna say thanks cause this album is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

there it is. now's the time, whichever goon it was who kept posting A Mili. or maybe it was more than one of you, i dunno.