Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

aphid_licker posted:

Not sure what fuckery that guy is up to, heat related deaths alone have increased by 150k in the last 20y

https://climate-adapt.eea.europa.eu/observatory/evidence/health-effects/heat-and-health/heat-and-health

800k died of COVID in the US, and that's just the ones they counted, and they barely even give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what happened to that paralyzing disease that was striking midwestern children but only every other year that was big in the news in like 2015?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

no idea if these numbers are right or where they came from, but they sound true

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Real hurthling! posted:

what happened to that paralyzing disease that was striking midwestern children but only every other year that was big in the news in like 2015?
acute flaccid myelitis had '14, '16, and '18 outbreaks but "dunno lol" is the answer to your question

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Real hurthling! posted:

FFT posted:

acute flaccid myelitis had '14, '16, and '18 outbreaks but "dunno lol" is the answer to your question

i dunno wtf, but reading theses posts made me :dudsmile: irl

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

that can't be that much, considering EVs don't actually do any good

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NM wrong thread

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q4fubFcaig

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Spime Wrangler posted:

no idea if these numbers are right or where they came from, but they sound true

Don't forget brake pads too!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Hubbert posted:

Don't forget brake pads too!
what, brake pads don't have --

Microplastics left behind by tyres and brake pads a major source of ocean pollution - study

quote:

More than 200,000 tonnes of small plastic particles deposited on roads all over the globe are being carried by global winds into the oceans, the study shows.

Researchers believe most of the plastic is coming from tyres and brake pads on vehicles.
well

welp

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Don't worry we're replacing stinky cars with EVs

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They used asbestos before plastics. Which is worse? :v: I assume there are no good materials

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPMbLO4pAY

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

They used asbestos before plastics. Which is worse? :v: I assume there are no good materials
there is only one good materialism

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ihmemies posted:

i mean they also used all natural rubber before plastics but ran out or couldn't source enough when there was even 1/500th the amount of cars/people out there. that's probably still not good though but certainly less bad than synthetic polymers

before that we used wood and stone. granite tires would probably be okay but also lol the ride would suck rear end

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
That guy is averaging out climate deaths per decade and only plotting that result, beyond whatever other fuckery he’s done in the sources

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

wynott dunn posted:

That guy is averaging out climate deaths per decade and only plotting that result, beyond whatever other fuckery he’s done in the sources

He's a statistician, he knows exactly what he's doing. He was also funded by the Danish government to push his bullshit for like a decade.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

"but"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That's really weird because it frames the former as a good thing (by contrasting it with the latter with that but) but then the subheading frames it as a bad thing anyway. Make up your mind headline!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cloks posted:

that can't be that much, considering EVs don't actually do any good

Usually with EVs the math is either ignoring the emissions in the supply chain used to create them, the emissions created by the energy that powers them or both.

So if you ignore the mining of the minerals, the fabrication of parts, the fossil fuel power plants, and the rubber tires and then do a straight mileage comparison between gas and electric engine emissions only when they drive then they have a huge impact on paper if you ignore that passenger car emissions are meaningless at this point.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Jan 4, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Crack pinging this morning realizing that the real situation is much worse than in Don't Look Up. In the movie the world population had to accept a comet they couldn't see was coming for them. And it wasn't until sometime later that the comet would've been visible on backyard telescopes (this was absent from the movie? self, individual verification?). Meanwhile in the real world extreme weather happens with terrifying frequency, people live and experience this weather and even if there's no extreme weather for them personally they still experience the huge temperature swings or the anomalous weather days (70F in February, something like this). And still no one acts like the world's ending. Yes I am writing this after experiencing a 37F swing in 48hrs, why do you ask? lol. lmlao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
At least I'm not in Texas

https://twitter.com/extremetemps/status/1478073030945517573

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Crack pinging this morning realizing that the real situation is much worse than in Don't Look Up. In the movie the world population had to accept a comet they couldn't see was coming for them. And it wasn't until sometime later that the comet would've been visible on backyard telescopes (this was absent from the movie? self, individual verification?). Meanwhile in the real world extreme weather happens with terrifying frequency, people live and experience this weather and even if there's no extreme weather for them personally they still experience the huge temperature swings or the anomalous weather days (70F in February, something like this). And still no one acts like the world's ending. Yes I am writing this after experiencing a 37F swing in 48hrs, why do you ask? lol. lmlao

Haven't even finished the denial phase yet LOL

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

No really, I think there will be a big millennialist thing at least here in the US. Too heavily invested in their King James bobble and these war cheerleaders with degrees in divinity.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/Ayishas12/status/1478339725152952321
Looking forward to seeing more young people coming to grips with the fact that their parents and grandparents ushered them into hell

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I think large temperature swings create severe weather too right? like tornados, wind events etc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

In the movie the world population had to accept a comet they couldn't see was coming for them. And it wasn't until sometime later that the comet would've been visible on backyard telescopes (this was absent from the movie? self, individual verification?).

That's another thing I didn't really like about the film. I guess it's not really relevant to the film's message but it annoyed me that the discoverer was somehow the first to notice it in the sky by sheer chance and when they looked at it it was just loving massive already. And then they spread the word and everyone was looking at it whereas before nobody had noticed it for some reason.

In reality people would be hunting for it from day 1, everyone would know where to look (using a constellation or something) and it would slowly become visible to ever less powerful telescopes until it could be seen by the naked eye while squinting. But I guess there's not much drama in that.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's not an accident or coincidence, the film is always saying Believe the Experts. It directs you to take Science on faith. Which is not how science is correctly practiced but is a liberal credo despite.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
we haven’t even entered the denial phase as a society. we are still mostly unbelieving as if a fortune teller told us we have cancer. shits gonna be wild when everybody knows the game is over, like when a doctor tells you, you have stage 4 cancer.

when there is a multi year rolling dust bowl and famine hits America, that’s when you will see the true denial hit.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah, it wouldn't work as a metaphor to have it any other way.

I guess the visibility of the comet in the film is the realisation of climate related disasters in real life. In the film the denialists refuse to look up and see the comet, in the same way climate denialists refuse to see the disasters (as climate-caused or, if they accept them as climate-caused, then human-caused via climate change). In that way it tracks pretty well, except nobody is dying of seeing the comet in the film.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Usually with EVs the math is either ignoring the emissions in the supply chain used to create them, the emissions created by the energy that powers them or both.

So if you ignore the mining of the minerals, the fabrication of parts, the fossil fuel power plants, and the rubber tires and then do a straight mileage comparison between gas and electric engine emissions only when they drive then they have a huge impact on paper if you ignore that passenger car emissions are meaningless at this point.

Comparing new EVs to new ICE the EV is better for the climate within a year of driving, even accounting for the increased emissions from manufacturing the EV.

So what do we as a society do? We commodify that environmental benefit, give it bonuses, and sell it so that 1-3x more emissions can be released in exchange.

That’s why technological solutions can’t work, because our social and power structures will instantly co-op any good from them and instead use it to make things worse.

If we had fusion in America or Europe today, we’d be selling fusion based RECs to keep coal plants operating and call it green.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Being in Texas the last 4 days has been a fun exercise of "COVID or weather change" as the transition from 92 to 37 in 2 days did a number on my sinuses

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

https://www.wired.com/story/the-quest-to-trap-carbon-in-stone-and-beat-climate-change/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

I can't read the article so I'm going to pretend it's building up to a vicious take down of tech based climate change solutions and not a bingo on the cspam board.

quote:

The Quest to Trap Carbon in Stone—and Beat Climate Change
On a barren lava plateau in Iceland, a new facility is sucking in air and stashing the carbon dioxide in rock. The next step: Build 10,000 more.
Climeworks' direct air capture plant, dubbed Orca, scrubs 4,000 tons of carbon per year from the air and is the largest test of the technology to date. Photograph: Tanya Houghton

It was undoubtedly the most august gathering ever convened on the uninhabited lava plains of Hellisheidi, Iceland. Some 200 guests were seated in the modernist three-story visitors’ center of a geothermal power plant—the country’s prime minister and an ex-president, journalists from New York and Paris, financiers from London and Geneva, and researchers and policy wonks from around the world. Floor-to-ceiling windows looked out on miles of moss-carpeted rock, luminously green in the September morning sunlight. Transmission towers marched away to the horizon, carrying energy from the power plant to the capital, Reykjavik, half an hour’s drive away.

Only need 10,000 of these apparently and not 10,000,00, that's heartening.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm still waiting for a major country to go "Fuckit" and launch a massive atmospherical dimming effort.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's another thing I didn't really like about the film. I guess it's not really relevant to the film's message but it annoyed me that the discoverer was somehow the first to notice it in the sky by sheer chance and when they looked at it it was just loving massive already. And then they spread the word and everyone was looking at it whereas before nobody had noticed it for some reason.

In reality people would be hunting for it from day 1, everyone would know where to look (using a constellation or something) and it would slowly become visible to ever less powerful telescopes until it could be seen by the naked eye while squinting. But I guess there's not much drama in that.

Yeah and at that point other astronomers would take over advocacy if DiCaprio wasn’t up to the task. They were like eh some Mexican astronomers are checking, but the whole world could check it out.

Which is why I wonder why the US was leading the charge on it while obviously not taking it seriously at all.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://twitter.com/SusannaMcCoy19/status/1478349158570463232

https://twitter.com/nation_based/status/1478379728394502151

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm the town of Bumpass

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Don't Look Up sounds like someone wanted to rewrite the planet killing asteroid from The Last Policeman as a take on Idiocracy instead of a detective novel.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

if the numbers come from anything like a reputable source this is false and has been for decades

if you want to cast doubt on real studies there's all kinds of skeletons in the closet of the life cycle data industry but none that are gross negligence like you're describing. usually it's something like "we only have swedish data for this process" or "they burn a different type of coal in less efficient plants in that part of the world" or "we made a different assumption about this life cycle phase than the other guys for this reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
defending every electric vehicle vs internal combustion engine comparison as completely accounting for all systematic inputs for the past 20 years is a pretty bold stance