Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Golden Bee posted:

She was in first position for a smokey and the bandit reboot

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

oh the gofundme was for her car

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

She was in first position for a smokey and the bandit reboot

lumpentroll posted:

oh the gofundme was for her car

I'm still confused.

Was there a black Trans-Am that she demanded in her new contract?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It seemed like something weird was going on between her and the show, but I’m glad she came back at least for an episode. Maybe she’ll be in it moving forward, but I doubt we’ll ever know what went on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm still confused.

Was there a black Trans-Am that she demanded in her new contract?

I’m sure you could find info but from what I recall it amounted to a single social media post where she indicated they weren’t having her back for season 3 and that sucked because she needed money for her car. I don’t think there was anything more definitive released, but now that she made an appearance in s4 maybe she will come back with a bigger role again next season.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

It’s a joke about how everything in Hollywood is a reboot

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Happy to see others loving the Saved By The Bell reboot; its doing a similar sort of riff and clearly takes inspiration from Cobra Kai.

The biggest difference is that Karate Kid is still an absolute banger of a movie and SBTB has always been terrible.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I like the idea of the cast rotating in and out. We really don't need a giant dramatic arc for Season 2's attempted-wacky in-practice-creepy comic relief manchild, and getting away from the Valley is clearly the best thing that could've happened to Aisha. Their roles in this season were perfect in my books.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Netflix’s aftershow out but weirdly it’s a summary of season three, not season four.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Robobot posted:

It seemed like something weird was going on between her and the show, but I’m glad she came back at least for an episode. Maybe she’ll be in it moving forward, but I doubt we’ll ever know what went on.

I liked the actress but that scene was acted terribly and it read like a first take, like she swung by the set for ten minutes and they just had to roll with it.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
Really enjoyed this new season. At the end, did anybody else assume at first that Silver had poisoned the Champagne? They toast, Kreese drinks, but Silver doesn't.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

S4 felt like it was just treading water, and none of the S5 hooks really landed for me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Really enjoyed this new season. At the end, did anybody else assume at first that Silver had poisoned the Champagne? They toast, Kreese drinks, but Silver doesn't.

I felt like it was a double twist, since they signaled the champagne being poisoned in every genre-way possible. Kinda like a "would we really go there" affair.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MiddleOne posted:

I felt like it was a double twist, since they signaled the champagne being poisoned in every genre-way possible. Kinda like a "would we really go there" affair.

Yeah, kinda like the Tori putting on makeup scene. You’re thinking “oh come on, please don’t make her a stripper” and the show swerves right at the end.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah that was a very dark misdirect.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robobot posted:

Yeah, kinda like the Tori putting on makeup scene. You’re thinking “oh come on, please don’t make her a stripper” and the show swerves right at the end.

While it's good they didn't go that way, I did find the Chuck E. Cheese but with real people restaurant a bit weird, but they could well be a thing, I don't know.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Dawgstar posted:

While it's good they didn't go that way, I did find the Chuck E. Cheese but with real people restaurant a bit weird, but they could well be a thing, I don't know.

There was an A/T thread a while back about a goon who worked as a birthday party princess. I figured this kinda thing was similar.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sockser posted:

S4 felt like it was just treading water, and none of the S5 hooks really landed for me.

I was honestly okay with this. Previous seasons ended up with such thundering cliffhangers (Daniel opens a dojo! Miguel is hospitalized and Robby is on the run! Johnny and Daniel combine forces!) that downshifting a bit isn't necessarily bad.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just started watching this by chance while clearing up after my NYE party and I love it. The goofy soap-opera/sunday morning cartoon styling despite the presitge tv format means that it has an earnestness to it that's appealing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Party princesses are big in LA, although they typically go to events people host and aren’t in a central location. But I haven’t been to a lot of children’s birthday parties in the last five years.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
They obviously weren't going to make the high school girl a stripper, come on

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Flesnolk posted:

This show wouldn't, no. Though apparently that does happen pretty often IRL. Turns out many strip clubs are not ethical and don't look too close at falsified employment forms.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Flesnolk posted:

I didn’t think there was any way they would, but I couldn’t think of another job that would have a scummy dude telling girls to put on more makeup while a bunch of women get dressed in bright lipstick and sparkley clothes backstage, so it was a real “uhhhhhh” moment for me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I fell for the stripper fake out too and just assumed Tory was 18 or close enough for a skeevy strip club owner at least. I couldn't imagine anything else she'd be doing in that make up room and was happy it was a Chuck E Cheese thing. Another example of the show defying my predictions. I thought of another one since I was sure that Demitri's girlfriend was running a con on him somehow and made up the trip to wherever she went and would double cross or cheat on him with Hawk but nope. She honestly digs him. Demitri is hung

Alchenar posted:

I just started watching this by chance while clearing up after my NYE party and I love it. The goofy soap-opera/sunday morning cartoon styling despite the presitge tv format means that it has an earnestness to it that's appealing.

Have you seen any of the movies?

Show is very addictive and the 1/2 hour format combined with the cliff hangers really adds to it. I bet you're back in the thread giving our review for the whole series by the time I finish this post. It's loving crazy how well it all works because on paper it's a disaster.

I know the writers (deservedly) get a ton of credit for pulling this show off but I think a lot of heavy lifting is done by the actors too. I have a hang up about lovely acting and never really run across it here - at least any examples that just totally take me out of the show - and I've said it before but Zabka is a real standout and needs to get some more high profile movie roles. I could see Tarantino, the Coens of someone like Paul Thomas Anderson putting him to good use.

I'd like to see what he could do in something like True Detective, Deadwood, The Wire or Six Feet Under where he can break out of his typecast and the show the range I suspect he might have. I mean, even though he's playing the same Johhny Lawrence character from the movies, the performances in those films compared to this show are totally different but still tonally consistent.

What I'm saying is I'm gay for William Zabka and want to party with him at a Twisted Sister concert.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 4, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BiggerBoat posted:

What I'm saying is I'm gay for William Zabka and want to party with him at a Twisted Sister concert.

I don't know if he ever talked about it but I am curious what happened to him as the 80's ended. He did Karate Kid and Back to School, which were his two most well known movie roles. He had a reoccurring character on The Equalizer and then just a pile of poo poo movies and guest bits on TV shows.

I was just as surprised as everyone when I found out that he can act. He has a good sense of timing. He can do some of the dramatic bits Cobra Kai needs. Wondering if he can leverage this into some higher profile roles once this show is finished.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I also find any show incredibly endearing which clearly has a budget per episode of $10 and just makes it work by looking real rather than cheap.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if he ever talked about it but I am curious what happened to him as the 80's ended. He did Karate Kid and Back to School, which were his two most well known movie roles. He had a reoccurring character on The Equalizer and then just a pile of poo poo movies and guest bits on TV shows.

I was just as surprised as everyone when I found out that he can act. He has a good sense of timing. He can do some of the dramatic bits Cobra Kai needs. Wondering if he can leverage this into some higher profile roles once this show is finished.

I forgot he was in Back to School but yeah. He just disappeared.

Even within the confines of this show he displays some impressive range with what could easily just be a one dimensional character.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Didn't he end up directing a bunch of stuff? I guess I could just go look at imdb or whatever.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Xealot posted:

This show wouldn't, no. Though apparently that does happen pretty often IRL. Turns out many strip clubs are not ethical and don't look too close at falsified employment forms.
A girl at my high school started stripping at 16 by doing exactly this.

One thing people don't think about nearly as much as they should is this whole machine we live in runs on plausible deniability.

Most people just don't want to be held responsible for a thing, so if they covered their rear end, that's all that matters, and a dancer presenting you with real-enough fake poo poo that you can say you made a good faith effort to obey the law is pretty much enough for most to be going on with.

It wouldn't at all be a stretch for a character in a show that takes place in this bizarre universe to fake some documents.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If she was in a strip club, the only person she would run into is season one Johnny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Daniel's son was a better character when his defining characteristic was drinking butter.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Robobot posted:

I didn’t think there was any way they would, but I couldn’t think of another job that would have a scummy dude telling girls to put on more makeup while a bunch of women get dressed in bright lipstick and sparkley clothes backstage, so it was a real “uhhhhhh” moment for me.

Not to mention one girl was pushing up her breasts, which in hindsight was pretty weird that she was focusing on how they looked while getting ready to do a children's show

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

DrunkPanda posted:

Not to mention one girl was pushing up her breasts, which in hindsight was pretty weird that she was focusing on how they looked while getting ready to do a children's show

Dads, not the girls at the party, are the ones tipping. Plus it is LA. You never know when a talent scout will be taking their daughter to a legally-distinct-from-Disney Princess party.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

If she was in a strip club, the only person she would run into is season one Johnny.

Stingray?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

There'd be a little photo of him at the entrance for the bouncer saying 'do not let in'

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Stingray sucks. He adds nothing to the plot or story. They could have had Terry get rid of Kreese some other way.

My guess is Kreese will have a Darth Vader style heel turn and Silver will go to jail for the assault at the end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Flesnolk posted:

Karate actually has a respected legacy in both kickboxing and MMA. I don't think anyone has honestly been like "lol krotty useless " since 2006
Sure, but "karate" doesn't really exist as a specific thing. The show is a fantasy where strip-mall karate dojos still teach "blood and guts" style karate from the 70s.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Robobot posted:

Stingray sucks. He adds nothing to the plot or story. They could have had Terry get rid of Kreese some other way.

My guess is Kreese will have a Darth Vader style heel turn and Silver will go to jail for the assault at the end.

Kreese seemed like he was half a step from a face turn when he said to let tory do what she wanted in the final fight. Though that may have been him realising he was losing his control over cobra kai to silver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Robobot posted:

Stinkray does suck, but that's always been the point of the character. He adds to the meta narrative about nostalgia. Every adult in the show is dealing with a history of trauma, and they're trying to guide the children around them away from the same traumatic life, but in doing so they're inflicting new trauma on the kids around them... and then here's an adult audience insert who thinks the trauma is cool as gently caress.

I love the character of Kreese, because his motivation is noble (to guide kids away from being used and hurt the way he was), he just can't heal himself. I think Terry is right that Kreese's weakness is Johnny, not because he has simple paternal feeling towards him, but because Kreese knows he used and hurt Johnny the same way he was used and hurt.

Also Terry's to rich and powerful to go to jail, he's going to get roundhouse kicked off a cliff.