Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Four Fiends for trial series or riot. Cmon, it's the IV expac!

I wouldn't even be bothered if the fights themselves were something else, but had a kickin rad new version of the Four Fiends music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Hellioning posted:

I mean we already know the trial series is about the twelve.

More to the point we already walked through several dead worlds and punched out despair. I don't see why we'd need to keep doing it.
My take on these hypothetical bosses is that they're not so much avatars of despair but the assholes and monsters who put their stars into decline. They might be driven by hedonism, sadism, greed, supremacy, or existential despair like Hermes but I don't think their motives would necessarily align with the Endsinger or her creator. I think it's cool since each one could be wildly different from the other in character, design, and setting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Since they disrespected Anima by relegating it to an early dungeon boss I demand the trial series be an FFX reference. :colbert: Make the bosses Blitzball players for all I care.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Each fight in the FFX series is just Seymour in his various forms.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

stev posted:

I'm not the only one that summoned the OMG minion when I met the Omicrons right? I was hoping it would run free with its friends. :(

I was glammed in an Omega-M cosplay with the OMG out and riding Model O for all of Endwalker.

It was very funny and appropriate for the Omicron part of Ultima Thule. The Dragonstar part, on the other hand... :ohno:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's clear the Venat cutscene was poo poo as so many people got confused by it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Omega (They/Thembo)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I was glammed in an Omega-M cosplay with the OMG out and riding Model O for all of Endwalker.

It was very funny and appropriate for the Omicron part of Ultima Thule. The Dragonstar part, on the other hand... :ohno:

I also glammed Omicron gear through the entire EW MSQ.

Also just happened to fly to Tiamet on the back of Twintania when we went to pork laser her.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CJ posted:

nah it's really not confusing at all

like for you to believe that it's a chronological sequence of events and not an abstraction would mean venat literally sundered etherys and starting walking around while miqo'te wearing modern clothes spawned out of the turok 2 fog

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 4, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you didn't understand the Venat cutscene was a dream sequence you might just be illiterate

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's like thinking that when alphinaud looks around the rising stones in the epilogue and sees transparent images of past events that it's literally the ghosts of the scions haunting the building

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think all they really needed to do was have the skybox go back to a normal night or day/have the colors go back to normal when Venat goes to confront the group. I can see how it seems confusing and like she does the sundering before Zodiark even happens. That's the only thing about that bit that's a little off to me. It's not a huge thing, and I got it, but I also see why that specific part is a bit confusing. The rest of it though seemed pretty clear

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
You can't pretend people weren't confused by it, because people actually were confused by it and there were a lot of posts about it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

CJ posted:

You can't pretend people weren't confused by it, because people actually were confused by it and there were a lot of posts about it.

Oh, there are people confused by it, by all means, no one is saying there isn't.

Those people are just very dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

Someone being confused by something doesn't make it bad.

We have people confused at basic math in FF14. That doesn't make basic math bad.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Onmi posted:

Oh, there are people confused by it, by all means, no one is saying there isn't.

Those people are just very dumb.

That's a like a UI designer blaming the user for not being able to find an option in the menu. Maybe they are dumb but if that's how people perceive it it's a failure in directing.

There is no hint in the Amaurot scene that it isn't a literal depiction of events until near the end where Venat sunders everything. And even then, the only reason you know that is knowledge from 5.x cutscenes making your brain reject what it is seeing, and settling on ignoring what is happening on the screen to reconcile the difference. Most people come to that conclusion, but it's not because the cinematic is well directed, it's in spite of it. The people asking about whether it was meant to be literal probably don't think it is either, they are just unsure on their understanding of the events and want reassurance that they are reading it correctly. None of the other cutscenes in the dozens of hours you've watched up to that point have been a weird stage play re-enactment.

Compare that to the ending in the Rising Stones, as someone brought it up. They already have an advantage in that the player is more familiar with the events, so even if they did put Moenbryda in a scene with G'raha and Estinien the player would immediately be able to tell it wasn't literal, the Amaurot events are a lot less clear in comparison. Even so, they make the scenes sepia to communicate that they are memories, and they even go so far as to have the characters fade in and out between cuts to show that each scene isn't in the same time period. Even someone who had no knowledge of the game would be able to understand what is happening because it use the cinematic language to communicate it without words.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No it was very clear as soon as Venat walks past a guy getting eaten impassively and Emet Selch and Hythlodeus are just ignoring it, you're just dense

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJ posted:

That's a like a UI designer blaming the user for not being able to find an option in the menu. Maybe they are dumb but if that's how people perceive it it's a failure in directing.

There is no hint in the Amaurot scene that it isn't a literal depiction of events until near the end where Venat sunders everything.

I wouldn't say that's true. The way she casually walks by the monster eating the guy and walks by Emet and Hydtho like they were ghosts made it pretty clear it wasn't meant to be a literal depiction of what happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

There is no hint in the Amaurot scene that it isn't a literal depiction of events until near the end where Venat sunders everything. And even then, the only reason you know that is knowledge from 5.x cutscenes making your brain reject what it is seeing, and settling on ignoring what is happening on the screen to reconcile the difference. Most people come to that conclusion, but it's not because the cinematic is well directed, it's in spite of it. The people asking about whether it was meant to be literal probably don't think it is either, they are just unsure on their understanding of the events and want reassurance that they are reading it correctly. None of the other cutscenes in the dozens of hours you've watched up to that point have been a weird stage play re-enactment.

Compare that to the ending in the Rising Stones, as someone brought it up. They already have an advantage in that the player is more familiar with the events, so even if they did put Moenbryda in a scene with G'raha and Estinien the player would immediately be able to tell it wasn't literal, the Amaurot events are a lot less clear in comparison. Even so, they make the scenes sepia to communicate that they are memories, and they even go so far as to have the characters fade in and out between cuts to show that each scene isn't in the same time period. Even someone who had no knowledge of the game would be able to understand what is happening because it use the cinematic language to communicate it without words.

So to be clear you thought Venat was slowly walking past Emet Selch and pals while someone was getting eaten nearby and also the entire Zodiark summon thing happened in under five minutes? Also she got covered with muck for some reason.

It sounds more like you are angry you missed something really obvious and now want to blame the game for it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, as soon as I saw Venat calmly walking towards whatever the other Ancients were in a panicked run from I had my suspicions it wasn't meant to be a literal representation. As soon as she walked by the person getting murdered followed by Emet-Selch and Hythlodaeus standing talking to each other just seconds down the street, it was confirmed.

Some confusion about a scene once it hits a wider audience is certainly not a guaranteed indicator of something being bad. That'd be an indictment against an uncountable number of movies, literature, paintings and art in general.

There are certainly some tweaks that could have been made to make it more clear, but that doesn't mean it's bad by default without those.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hell, I thought we all gathered that was a non-literal depiction of events when we saw part of that scene in complete isolation in the Endwalker launch trailer.

We predicted a LOT of things wrong in that trailer, but I feel like that one we nailed real fast.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When Emet and Hermes were hanging out on the streetnext to a guy getting eaten i thought it was showing real events but condensed into one scene. It wasn't until the Hydaelyn thing that i realised the events never actually happened. Having that moment of realisation during the climax of the scene took me out of it.

Although i remember wondering if maybe the scenes in the street were literal, just because it was right after the post-dungeon cutscene, and that was the new level of dumbness that would be standard going forward.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly if I would have made any change, it'd be to have people from the Hydaelyn faction fall in behind her as she walks through the city. Would remind people that she wasn't just acting all on her lonesome.

Also I would have her stab Amaurotine Thancred.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does Thancred even have an Amaurotine soul? I thought that the scions not getting the echo when they saw the meteor shower meant that they were new world babies.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I suppose I would have preferred to see an accurate depiction of some of those events because I think that's interesting, but then you're going to need a much longer cutscene

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CJ posted:

Does Thancred even have an Amaurotine soul? I thought that the scions not getting the echo when they saw the meteor shower meant that they were new world babies.

It's just a dumb joke.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Venat scene was so good I did in fact cry.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Terper posted:

The Venat scene was so good I did in fact cry.

DownTheWell
Apr 19, 2007

Prosecute
The Venat scene was clearly just meant to be a title drop. Just casually strolling through the End of Days, you could say she was…Endwalking.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Venat cutscene was one of the few cutscenes in EW to have me actually cry. The rest just made me tear up, though they were very emotionally impactful too.

I recall feeling personally offended by Hermes after the 87 dungeon, by the way.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Venat cutscene was very affecting in the moment, and absolutely the moment I broke down, even if I have a lot of issues with it and her, it's still emotionally effective.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CJ posted:

When Emet and Hermes were hanging out on the streetnext to a guy getting eaten i thought it was showing real events but condensed into one scene. It wasn't until the Hydaelyn thing that i realised the events never actually happened. Having that moment of realisation during the climax of the scene took me out of it.

Although i remember wondering if maybe the scenes in the street were literal, just because it was right after the post-dungeon cutscene, and that was the new level of dumbness that would be standard going forward.

The events sort of did happen is the thing, it's just not one literal event but a bunch of Venat's memories mixed together.

She probably did see a guy getting eaten (and fought the thing eating him) she probably did see Hades and Hythlodaeus talking before Hythlodaeus went to be a sacrifice she probably even debated with Ancients about Zodiark (in fact we know her faction tried to convince them Zodiark wasn't the answer, it just didn't work).

It's not necessarily literally the events, but it is her memories.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like everyone has already said their piece on the Venat cutscene at least 5 times by now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Clarste posted:

I feel like everyone has already said their piece on the Venat cutscene at least 5 times by now.

I haven't.

It was OK.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJ posted:

This is cope.

Learn to read narratives.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

We learned in Shadowbringers that an unspecified amount of time passed between The second sacrifice and the Sundering, and also the fact that it wouldn't make any sense for the sundering to happen during the final days. It's not the games fault that people forgot these things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CJ posted:

just to be clear you think the sundering was 'Venat walks past a dude getting eaten while Emet and Hytho chat and ignore it, directly into a room where everyone's going 'TIME TO DO THE BAD THING' even though we just saw Hytho, who became part of Zodiark'?

Like, it's pretty clear all those things happened but there's no way it could have been all at once, the sundering was a good bit after the final days, Hytho was part of the sacrifice and the whole point was their sacrifice stopped the final days so why would mr dramatic voice be talking about 'reclaiming our world' and be praying to Zodiark before Zodiark even shows up?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

sexpig by night posted:

just to be clear you think the sundering was 'Venat walks past a dude getting eaten while Emet and Hytho chat and ignore it, directly into a room where everyone's going 'TIME TO DO THE BAD THING' even though we just saw Hytho, who became part of Zodiark'?

Like, it's pretty clear all those things happened but there's no way it could have been all at once, the sundering was a good bit after the final days, Hytho was part of the sacrifice and the whole point was their sacrifice stopped the final days so why would mr dramatic voice be talking about 'reclaiming our world' and be praying to Zodiark before Zodiark even shows up?

No, as i've already said, i just think it's a badly directed cutscene.

Now that you bring it up though, do they ever state whether Hythlo was part of the first or second sacrifice?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJ posted:

No, as i've already said, i just think it's a badly directed cutscene.

Now that you bring it up though, do they ever state whether Hythlo was part of the first or second sacrifice?

That scene itself says it was the first. All of the other Mare Lamentorum spirits seem to be from the first sacrifice too, judging by what they say, so it's reasonable to assume first from that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It could be the second (they do mention Lord Zodiark accept this second sacrifice of lives) and the second was to undo the damage of the final days whilst the first protected against them happening. So the damage would still be done during the second sacrifice.