Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Descar posted:

One thing that's bugging me,

Why did they create a tsunami to hit that little girl on the beach?

Having the only watched the scene once, it seems that the landscape behind the child on the beach is a gigantic cliff that would easily dissipate most of the kinetic energy of that wave. Additionally, there’s not a single other person in sight rendering it useless as a demonstration of overwhelming force.

The answer is bad writing, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Armies charging headfirst into walls, cavalries charging into nowhere, navies unleashing tsunamis against mountain ranges

Perhaps next season will feature "attacking the darkness"

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Perhaps next season will feature "attacking the darkness"

Nynaeve already did this. Next season will instead have nothing to see here, so that nobody can claim I spoiled them.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Torquemada posted:

Having the only watched the scene once, it seems that the landscape behind the child on the beach is a gigantic cliff that would easily dissipate most of the kinetic energy of that wave. Additionally, there’s not a single other person in sight rendering it useless as a demonstration of overwhelming force.

The answer is bad writing, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Except that's not why they did it. And the reason is probably/technically a spoiler so They're an invading force, the wave is directly in front of their ships. They're pulling a Cortez and grounding their ships so they have no way to return and must conquer.

It's not terribly clear without having knowledge of who the boat people are, but the scene made sense to me for that same reason.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Except that's not why they did it. And the reason is probably/technically a spoiler so They're an invading force, the wave is directly in front of their ships. They're pulling a Cortez and grounding their ships so they have no way to return and must conquer.

It's not terribly clear without having knowledge of who the boat people are, but the scene made sense to me for that same reason.

Nothing on screen or in the books supports any part of this reading except the words ‘It’s not terribly clear’.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
In fact they go out of the way to show the boats staying rock steady in defiance of the laws of physics while the wave moves away from them

e: in fact that post is so unbelievably ridiculous I’m still goggling

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 4, 2022

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Torquemada posted:

In fact they go out of the way to show the boats staying rock steady in defiance of the laws of physics while the wave moves away from them

e: in fact that post is so unbelievably ridiculous I’m still goggling

It's certainly an inference on my part but it's supported by everything they say and do in the books. Makes more sense then "being dramatic" or "gently caress this coastline and that one girl in particular"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My main realism complaint for the story is everyone speaking the same language.

It’s been 3000 years since the breaking. Even if everyone spoke the same language before it, these disparate kingdoms should all have diverged into new mutually unintelligible languages by now. As much time has passed between the breaking and “now” in the story as the Sea Peoples ravaging the Bronze Age kingdoms in Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Middle East and now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

It’s been 3000 years since the breaking. Even if everyone spoke the same language before it, these disparate kingdoms should all have diverged into new mutually unintelligible languages by now. As much time has passed between the breaking and “now” in the story as the Sea Peoples ravaging the Bronze Age kingdoms in Eastern Europe, Africa, and the Middle East and now.

If everyone spoke the same language before the breaking, and they maintained trade networks throughout the time since, would that not act to slow down linguistic drift? Especially when you have an upper class of people (Aes Sedai) constantly going between kingdoms and wielding soft power? Wouldn’t their accent—whatever it is—be held in regard and emulated by the nobles they interact with?

On the other hand, we know that as of Manetheren another language was spoken in the Westlands: the Old Tongue (the language in the cold open of episode 8). How that suddenly and uniformly got replaced with another monolithic language is anyone’s guess.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

A wizard did it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

My main realism complaint for the story is everyone speaking the same language.

I think you're right that this is a problem.

I think the in-universe rationale is that the existence of the printing press has prevented or slowed linguistic drift, which has *some* merit behind it; there's more change between chaucer and shakespeare than shakespeare to us, due to increased literacy and the printing press. Still tho

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
That and the White Tower being involved with most nations and standardising language because you've got these 400 year old advisors to the kings and queens that still speak the same way they did 400 years ago.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also because you either write in translators, which are almost always boring and always make everything take longer, or your pov character knows the language anyway in which case it doesn't matter.

There are plenty of other ways to make someone feel lost in a culture besides the language.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Natural 20 posted:

That and the White Tower being involved with most nations and standardising language because you've got these 400 year old advisors to the kings and queens that still speak the same way they did 400 years ago.

I mean, Europe had the Church and required all clergy and pretty much all rulers to learn Latin for long after the Western Roman Empire fell, and we still ended up with dozens (hundreds?) of languages that diverged from Latin in only a few hundred years.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's because linguistics is not one of the fields where an effort toward realism was made.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look, lady, this tsunami's gotta go somewhere

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

There are plenty of other ways to make someone feel lost in a culture besides the language.

This was something I thought the books did well (I can’t keep track of who has read the books, so I may be preaching to the choir here). There are lots of different cultural traditions, and how Jordan wrote the characters interacting with those traditions did a lot to make the world feel varied even though they all speak the same language. Unfortunately a lot of the interaction is internal in the books, so presenting that fluidly will be a continued challenge for the show’s writers.

I think a lot of that got lost in the first season, as the show relied on visual cues like buildings to show changes in place, and set aside the varied cultural norms—and in particular how our main characters viewed those customs—that would be harder to present in the time Amazon allotted. It’s neat to see Lan ritually mourning at a funeral, but without a viewpoint character present to guide our interpretation, we the viewers can’t tell if this is normal everywhere in WoT or something unusual for the world.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Yeah seachan boat scene was dumb and cheap plus it made them look exceedlingly malicious imo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Grundulum posted:

This was something I thought the books did well (I can’t keep track of who has read the books, so I may be preaching to the choir here). There are lots of different cultural traditions, and how Jordan wrote the characters interacting with those traditions did a lot to make the world feel varied even though they all speak the same language. Unfortunately a lot of the interaction is internal in the books, so presenting that fluidly will be a continued challenge for the show’s writers.

I think a lot of that got lost in the first season, as the show relied on visual cues like buildings to show changes in place, and set aside the varied cultural norms—and in particular how our main characters viewed those customs—that would be harder to present in the time Amazon allotted. It’s neat to see Lan ritually mourning at a funeral, but without a viewpoint character present to guide our interpretation, we the viewers can’t tell if this is normal everywhere in WoT or something unusual for the world.

You get a hint of that when Rand and Mat first make it to Tar Valon and we see how cosmopolitan the city is with people in all kinds of different clothes (including the guy with a camel!) and Rand getting the food that he doesn't know what it is but tastes good.

Burns posted:

Yeah seachan boat scene was dumb and cheap plus it made them look exceedlingly malicious imo.

I would have been much happier if we could see some kind of viable target for the tsunami besides the little girl. Like some soldiers or a town or a fort or something. Because as it is, it does seem pretty over the top for no good reason. :sigh:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Look, lady, this tsunami's gotta go somewhere
After all, the Seanchan had filed the correct planning documents for it. And those documents were on display in the girl's local planning office for the last nine months! She was quite entitled to make any suggestions or protests at the appropriate time, you know.

Not that they'd actually gone out of their way to call attention to them. I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything. The plans were on display though. At the local planning office. In the cellar. You'd have needed a flashlight if you went down there, of course, because the lights had gone. And a ladder to get down there; so had the stairs. But you'd find the notice, all right. Well, you'd find it on display if you looked in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.’

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

El Grillo posted:

After all, the Seanchan had filed the correct planning documents for it. And those documents were on display in the girl's local planning office for the last nine months! She was quite entitled to make any suggestions or protests at the appropriate time, you know.

Not that they'd actually gone out of their way to call attention to them. I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything. The plans were on display though. At the local planning office. In the cellar. You'd have needed a flashlight if you went down there, of course, because the lights had gone. And a ladder to get down there; so had the stairs. But you'd find the notice, all right. Well, you'd find it on display if you looked in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.’

lmao

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The other option is that they wanted their initial landing to be secret and the girl could run and warn of foreign ships, hence the giant wave to take her out from afar.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hamelekim posted:

The other option is that they wanted their initial landing to be secret and the girl could run and warn of foreign ships, hence the giant wave to take her out from afar.

Anywhere a small child could run to before they landed/got close enough to just tie her up with air is gonna be within sight and sound of a huge fuckoff tsunami slamming into the land.

That big flat cliff face alone would reverberate a slap-like sound as loud as a million spanked bottoms.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Me, a wizard who can kill with a stare: "oh dear, a small child on the shore, only one way to handle this"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

Me, a wizard who can kill with a stare: "oh dear, a small child on the shore, only one way to handle this"

power makes u a dick

absolute powere makes u a mega dick

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

They can create massive waves but can't unground a ship?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I believe the theory here is that they can't refloat a ship without the power.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Niwrad posted:

The idea is the leadership obviously isn't going to retreat but it prevents a gang of deserters from grabbing a ship and bailing on the conquest.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

jng2058 posted:

You get a hint of that when Rand and Mat first make it to Tar Valon and we see how cosmopolitan the city is with people in all kinds of different clothes (including the guy with a camel!) and Rand getting the food that he doesn't know what it is but tastes good.

I would have been much happier if we could see some kind of viable target for the tsunami besides the little girl. Like some soldiers or a town or a fort or something. Because as it is, it does seem pretty over the top for no good reason. :sigh:

it would also have helped if the home village had had a single accent instead everyone in it having a different one

some of the poo poo in the episodes can be explained by covid, but the child killing tsunami really can't be

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They made a tsunami because it looks bad rear end.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The idea is the leadership obviously isn't going to retreat but it prevents a gang of deserters from grabbing a ship and bailing on the conquest.

You’re pulling this out of your rear end like a magician with a string of handkerchiefs. Deserters?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I can't understand why they would end a season of a TV show with an upcoming antagonistic force channeling the One Power in a way we have been told it is not to be used. Are we supposed to believe they're foreshadowing something?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Torquemada posted:

You’re pulling this out of your rear end like a magician with a string of handkerchiefs. Deserters?

I mean I've said it's an inference but yes if your troops know they can't retreat, that there's no way home, they can be pushed further. They'll fight against hopeless odds rather than rout because there is nowhere else to go. Discouraging deserters is a secondary benefit.

I'm not saying that's what's happening but that's the logic behind the action. There is literal historical precedent for it with Cortez.

Got a better theory for why they summoned a big tidal wave to smash an empty coast?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I can't understand why they would end a season of a TV show with an upcoming antagonistic force channeling the One Power in a way we have been told it is not to be used. Are we supposed to believe they're foreshadowing something?

Also maybe this. It's a twofer.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I mean I've said it's an inference but yes if your troops know they can't retreat, that there's no way home, they can be pushed further. They'll fight against hopeless odds rather than rout because there is nowhere else to go. Discouraging deserters is a secondary benefit.

I'm not saying that's what's happening but that's the logic behind the action. There is literal historical precedent for it with Cortez.

Got a better theory for why they summoned a big tidal wave to smash an empty coast?

Also maybe this. It's a twofer.

so the continent they're on now doesn't have ships?

and as said earlier, the real reason is bad writing

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Cause it looks cool and gets across the point they're doing the bad thing. It could be more, but I genuinely don't think it is, and more to the point, I think it's a bad cliffhanger because it doesn't matter if there's more really. If it turns out in season two there is a further reason behind their actions then it doesn't undo the impression that scene made on me for several months of "why are these idiots summoning a tidal wave to throw at one child"? If the scene had them attacking a fleet or fortification it'd be cool and set up that they're doing something; as it, it just makes me think the writers didn't think beyond "make it look cool".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s not a cliff hanger because there are no stakes. The show has not provided us with enough information to reason out who these people are or why they’re doing what they do. Twenty or thirty ships crewed by people who dress differently from everyone else we’ve seen in the show use the Power as a weapon to kill a girl on a beach. That’s it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It is a cliffhanger because it's the last scene of the season and they're introducing a group that you can assume is antagonist based on the design of their ships and their use of the OP in a destructive and deadly way. Almost like it's setting things up for future seasons but who's to say.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Like they definitely aren't doing it specifically as a gently caress you to a random kid or as a display of power to an otherwise empty coastline.

Yeah the meta-explanation is probably the correct one, but if you need to apply a non-meta explanation to their actions I think "crash the ships cause we are here to stay" is totally viable.

I just wanna believe so hard that they aren't ruining wheel of time but the finale was pretty bad :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tsob posted:

Cause it looks cool and gets across the point they're doing the bad thing. It could be more, but I genuinely don't think it is, and more to the point, I think it's a bad cliffhanger because it doesn't matter if there's more really. If it turns out in season two there is a further reason behind their actions then it doesn't undo the impression that scene made on me for several months of "why are these idiots summoning a tidal wave to throw at one child"? If the scene had them attacking a fleet or fortification it'd be cool and set up that they're doing something; as it, it just makes me think the writers didn't think beyond "make it look cool".

Literal cliff of water

But yeah there's arguable rationales but I think we just have to accept that hte finale episode was aimed at looking cool and didn't get put through the same drafting and revision process that the other episodes in the season did and suffered as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
An oncoming tidal wave is also symbolic of what's coming to Randland.