Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zarin posted:

Haha, sorry, maybe my sarcasm/joking wasn't apparent enough. Yeah, no, definitely Do Not gently caress With those guys.

It was more a joke around just finding fish where there should not be fish and how the hell do you even handle that!

I thought my joke about the Rain Barrels was better but nobody bit on that one :v:

they were good jokes imo i just had a sensible chuckle while scrolling instead of contributing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

blatman posted:

they were good jokes imo i just had a sensible chuckle while scrolling instead of contributing

:3:

Realtalk, though, how would it rain fish in the first place? And by that, I mean, how did they get into the sky? I'm guessing a waterspout? Or are there updrafts that don't do the spinny thing that would be powerful enough to raise fish to the heavens? (Thinking something kinda like a Reverse Microburst, I guess)

I'm having a vision of a thunderclap startling a school of Asian Carp, them leaping up out of the water and then the updraft just carrying them off into the sky :allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zarin posted:

Realtalk, though, how would it rain fish in the first place? And by that, I mean, how did they get into the sky? I'm guessing a waterspout? Or are there updrafts that don't do the spinny thing that would be powerful enough to raise fish to the heavens? (Thinking something kinda like a Reverse Microburst, I guess)

I'm having a vision of a thunderclap startling a school of Asian Carp, them leaping up out of the water and then the updraft just carrying them off into the sky :allears:

Earlier this week, residents of Texarkana reported small fish falling from the sky in what seemed like an epochal weather event. The reality was more mundane: The swimmers, many of them palm-sized, were likely picked up by a waterspout and dropped back down to earth as it lost momentum
-cnn

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Zarin posted:

updraft just carrying them off into the sky :allears:

if i remember right, that's more or less what happens lol

apparently waterspouts don't usually throw fish/frogs/whatever high enough for it to actually rain down somewhere far away, but big rear end updrafts can do it

at least that's what youtube told me a few weeks ago

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Real hurthling! posted:

Earlier this week, residents of Texarkana reported small fish falling from the sky in what seemed like an epochal weather event. The reality was more mundane: The swimmers, many of them palm-sized, were likely picked up by a waterspout and dropped back down to earth as it lost momentum
-cnn

definitely no epochal weather around here. no sir. just a standard waterspout fish drop

happens every year after the hellnados, just before the ol' southern pipefreeze sets in

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Spime Wrangler posted:

definitely no epochal weather around here. no sir. just a standard waterspout fish drop

happens every year after the hellnados, just before the ol' southern pipefreeze sets in
fish rain has been a thing for quite a bit longer than you might think

but we're probably going to be seeing it happen more often!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

how many more degrees do we need until a waterspout can hoover sunfish into the sky :thunk:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zarin posted:

Yep, it's from a waterspout/tornado picking up some water from a shallow area of water, and dumping that water and the stuff it contains somewhere else. Raining fish is one of those really rare phenomenons that's been happening forever, but it's usually been relegated to weird trivia or local folklore. I remember reading accounts of it in those little books of strange tales for kids. Soandso town had frogs rain from the sky in 1840, stuff like that. It can also happen with dirt or clay to tint the rain red or orange, depending on the local soil colors.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

sharknado was a documentary

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

in the past 30 years I’ve lived in CT I’ve gotten to slowly watch the northeast become what the mid Atlantic used to be climate wise and I imagine the mid Atlantic is now more or less Florida. I miss snowy winters so much :( winter now just means 40 and rainy most of the time, except when it’s like “lol surprise it’s 7 degrees for a few days still no snow tho”

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

reports of fish rain are supposedly at least as old as Pliny the Elder

but no one references the specific passage

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FFT posted:

reports of fish rain are supposedly at least as old as Pliny the Elder

but no one references the specific passage

Natural History, book XXXII, chapter XXIV

quote:

The gall of the red sea-scorpion,8 used with stale oil or Attic honey, disperses incipient cataract; for which purpose, the application should be made three times, on alternate days. A similar method is also employed for removing indurations9 of the membrane of the eyes. The surmullet, used as a diet, weakens the eyesight, it is said. The sea-hare is poisonous itself, but the ashes of it are useful as an application for preventing superfluous hairs on the eyelids from growing again, when they have been once pulled out by the roots. For this purpose, however, the smaller the fish is, the better. Small scallops, too, are salted and beaten up with cedar resin for a similar purpose, or else the frogs known as "diopetes"10 and "calamitæ," are used; the blood of them being applied with vine gum to the eyelids, after the hairs have been removed.

10 Meaning, literally, "Fallen from Jupiter," in reference to their supposed descent from heaven in showers of rain.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Warming records starting to get skewed by extreme cold snaps :allears:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Wamsutta posted:

in the past 30 years I’ve lived in CT I’ve gotten to slowly watch the northeast become what the mid Atlantic used to be climate wise and I imagine the mid Atlantic is now more or less Florida. I miss snowy winters so much :( winter now just means 40 and rainy most of the time, except when it’s like “lol surprise it’s 7 degrees for a few days still no snow tho”

DC being a swamp summers are getting even more insufferable each year. Winters are getting warmer with odd freak cold snaps. It sucks.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

Northern Pennsylvania is the same way. At least 10 years ago I’d have to use my snowblower multiple times during the season and occasionally just a shovel. This year my new snowblower has sat in the garage the entire season.

I’d estimate within 20 years we’ll have a climate like NC or TN up here and instead of snowbirds leaving during winter you’ll have more stick around, and people from the Deep South buying more property in the Northeast to get away from the heat (perhaps permanent residency too)

We’ve gotten more rain up here recently than I’ve ever seen before, in the spring I’ve seen cornfields look like a giant marsh. The water table is so high right now my sump pump goes off every 20 minutes for the past week and a half. In loving winter.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wamsutta posted:

Ditto to all of this. I found an old album that survived my house fire recently and it had some pictures from when I was a kid. There's literally a picture of me standing next to a snowman every goddamn year up until I was maybe 11 or 12. I think I've got some kind of weird reverse-SAD where the lack of cold weather and snow just leaves me feeling depressed all winter long.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Paradoxish posted:

I think I've got some kind of weird reverse-SAD where the lack of cold weather and snow just leaves me feeling depressed all winter long.

I definitely have this, especially as a cross country skier and snow lover.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Planet X posted:

I used to love winter hiking and now it's like well I guess I'll go out to the trail and stomp around in the mud

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Ditto to all of this. I found an old album that survived my house fire recently and it had some pictures from when I was a kid. There's literally a picture of me standing next to a snowman every goddamn year up until I was maybe 11 or 12. I think I've got some kind of weird reverse-SAD where the lack of cold weather and snow just leaves me feeling depressed all winter long.

I’ve found that the temp swings from 40-50s to below freezing a couple days, then back to warmer again really fucks with things like headaches or sinus problems too

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Wamsutta posted:

Growing up in CT 30+ years ago I can recall ice skating on farm ponds in November and December and now you are lucky if they're frozen enough by February if ever

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Wamsutta posted:

Massachusetts, but yeeeeeeeeep. It's grim.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The alders out here in the PNW realllllly do not do well in the cold. Widowmakers everywhere, sketchy as hell. Also rip to all the pretty maples out there :smith:

Free dunks on the person used to snow melting in a few days normally: what's the trick to shoveling snow so you dont get ice? Feels like if I leave it and walk on it its the same result as shoveling and walking on it. Was I supposed to get to the ground?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yes, plus if it is a heavy snow I try to hit the ground and my car at least once during the snowfall so that it doesn't compact.

Also salt.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I try to get out early enough where the snow hasn't been walked on or driven in much so it hadn't compacted. Makes shoveling much easier. And then hit it with a little salt. I like my plants so I don't use a ton but even a little can go a long way.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

500excf type r posted:

Growing up in CT 30+ years ago I can recall ice skating on farm ponds in November and December and now you are lucky if they're frozen enough by February if ever

Check out this NOAA animation, especially after 1999

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/ice/historicalAnim/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...ia/2926464/?amp

lede posted:

STAFFORD COUNTY
‘Never Seen Anything Like It': Drivers Stranded for 24 Hours on I-95 in Virginia

well get ready to keep seeing it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol Tim Kaine is stuck in it

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Planet X posted:

Paradoxish posted:

I used to love winter hiking and now it's like well I guess I'll go out to the trail and stomp around in the mud
:smith::respek::smith: :smith: :smith:

I live in the Lake Erie snow belt in OH and haven't taken my XC skis out at all in 2 years, got out once the year before that on some lovely slush, and a couple times the 2-3 years before that. Growing up in WNY, I could choose when I went out because there was a decent base all winter. The lighted XC ski trail near me is now just a "winter night hike trail" that is mostly mud. It's loving depressing.

OTOH, at least we're not getting hurrinadoes and firestorms in Great Lakes, and don't seem to get blizzards anymore, so. . . yay?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stealie72 posted:

OTOH, at least we're not getting hurrinadoes and firestorms in Great Lakes, and don't seem to get blizzards anymore, so. . . yay?

You're not getting them yet.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

actionjackson posted:

lol Tim Kaine is stuck in it

Climate change and COVID proving promising so far as great equalizers

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

stealie72 posted:

:smith::respek::smith: :smith: :smith:

I live in the Lake Erie snow belt in OH and haven't taken my XC skis out at all in 2 years, got out once the year before that on some lovely slush, and a couple times the 2-3 years before that. Growing up in WNY, I could choose when I went out because there was a decent base all winter. The lighted XC ski trail near me is now just a "winter night hike trail" that is mostly mud. It's loving depressing.

I've tried to explain this to close semi-woke-to-climate friends in real life (also Ohio Snow Belter)... and its like talking to a wall. Its not that we'll just never have snow again, it'll just waffle between the minimal garbage slush and freezing rain and gently caress-off polar vortex blizzards (in between 65 degree December days). Plus, soooo much more flooding.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Free dunks on the person used to snow melting in a few days normally: what's the trick to shoveling snow so you dont get ice? Feels like if I leave it and walk on it its the same result as shoveling and walking on it. Was I supposed to get to the ground?

Laying down some coarse (unscented, non-clumping) kitty litter will allow the ice to be broken up/shoveled out more easily once it forms, as well as provide traction.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paradoxish posted:

Neither weird nor reverse.

Snow reflects light and helps a lot more of it reach your eyes, so that's just normal SAD because the world's dying.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

goochtit posted:

how many more degrees do we need until a waterspout can hoover sunfish into the sky :thunk:

I'm going to assume that's a little freshwater North American scrap fish and not the Mola mola Ocean sunfish of the Eastern Pacific, 'cause even a juvenile would be like getting hit with a manhole cover.

otoh if a system is powerful enough to start hoovering those up we have other problems.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm going to assume that's a little freshwater North American scrap fish and not the Mola mola Ocean sunfish of the Eastern Pacific, 'cause even a juvenile would be like getting hit with a manhole cover.

otoh if a system is powerful enough to start hoovering those up we have other problems.

sunnies are little pond fish
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrarchidae

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol at me cuz i bought skates last year

I used them once last year

i have used them none this year

the last 36 hours were the first time it's been cold enough to even deposit any ice

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

tiberion02 posted:

Plus, soooo much more flooding.

Yep. In NWPA the ground stays soggy and the trees and plants aren’t drinking like they would in spring/summer so all that rainfall just collects. I have a shallow well and that water table is so high, I could touch the top of my well water with a broom.

Without cold weather to freeze the ground and a snowpack it just accumulates and makes a swamp everywhere. Imagine how it’ll be a decade from now.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Rynn posted:

Imagine how it’ll be a decade from now.

"No." - Boomers

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rynn posted:

Yep. In NWPA the ground stays soggy and the trees and plants aren’t drinking like they would in spring/summer so all that rainfall just collects. I have a shallow well and that water table is so high, I could touch the top of my well water with a broom.

Without cold weather to freeze the ground and a snowpack it just accumulates and makes a swamp everywhere. Imagine how it’ll be a decade from now.
Yeah, same in NE Ohio. I don't think the ground has been dry in more than a year, and trees are getting blown over from their roots because the soil is so swampy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I also grew up in NE Ohio (but moved away several years ago). For the couple weeks that I come back every year (usually in winter), the difference is staggering compared to my childhood memories of what winter was like. Way more rain, way less snow.