Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Back in the mid-00s in secondary school I made a few episodes of a one man podcast that are painful for me to listen to because if you skim them they're just a supercut of stuttered um's but even they weren't this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I'm all for blair being knighted, seems an entirely appropriate fit.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Keir Starmer - I'd Do Anything For Votes (But I Won't Do That)

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Petition in question, currently at 600k:
https://chng.it/kMFKg7XvMH
:getin:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

what's on the cards for todays 5pm news conference? some iteration of 'Yes cases are way up and NHS services are declaring critical incidents all over, but the data does not support further restrictions'

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zalakwe posted:

Not even the Guardian seems to have noticed Keith's big relaunch, there is so little content they are just chucking it in with the Covid stuff.

For how long are these speeches going to be: "The Labour Party is out of touch with the country and is not trusted with the public finances." He's been pushing this line for getting on for two years now! I genuinely don't get what the strategy is, unless it really is to keep the party unelectable :confused:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

kecske posted:

what's on the cards for todays 5pm news conference? some iteration of 'Yes cases are way up and NHS services are declaring critical incidents all over, but the data does not support further restrictions'

Some sort of official policy that they're giving up, we all need to live with the virus, doing anything it turns out is too hard, blah blah blah.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Pistol_Pete posted:

For how long are these speeches going to be: "The Labour Party is out of touch with the country and is not trusted with the public finances." He's been pushing this line for getting on for two years now! I genuinely don't get what the strategy is, unless it really is to keep the party unelectable :confused:

Honestly I think his strategy at the moment is just to offend as few people as possible while he waits and sees if Boris crashes and burns. It might work (maybe possibly) but will change nothing of any import and is extremely depressing.

Lists of abstract nouns don't change lives.

Edit: Also flags, lots of flags.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 4, 2022

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
And the big announcement is that he's

Continuing with Plan B

"There was a plan??" etc

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Johnson beating Kieth for umming and ahhing here. Dreadful performance.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Zalakwe posted:

Honestly I think his strategy at the moment is just to offend as few people as possible while he waits and sees if Boris crashes and burns. It might work (maybe possibly) but will change nothing of any import and is extremely depressing.

I guess this is a policy from keith :sigh:
No surprise that the former DPP is in favour of criminalizing people for poo poo that doesn't matter.

quote:

Downing Street has expressed concern over moves to end the prosecution of young people caught with cannabis in some London boroughs, under a pilot scheme being developed by Sadiq Khan.

Both Downing Street and the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, said they did not endorse any further decriminalisation of drugs
x

also lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The spokesman said: “We have absolutely no intention of decriminalising dangerous and harmful substances for recreational use. Decriminalisation would leave organised criminals in control, while risking an increase in drug use, which drives crime and violence which blights our streets.”

Nice of them to low key admit that it was criminalization that put organised criminals in control in the first place.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
nice of them to admit the worst case scenario for decriminalisation is that things stay exactly the same

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Decriminalisation removes a good excuse for plod to stop and search black kids. Won't happen until we gulag all the melts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure how organized criminals can be in control if... it's not a crime.

I don't go to organized criminals for bacon and egg butties because I can just buy them from a greasy spoon.

I know it isn't based in reality but how is it even supposed to make sense?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

How anyone can argue that cannabis is "dangerous and harmful" when alcohol and tobacco remain legal is beyond me.

Certainly less harmful than a mug full of Jameson's, eh, Keith.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure how organized criminals can be in control if... it's not a crime.

I don't go to organized criminals for bacon and egg butties because I can just buy them from a greasy spoon.

I know it isn't based in reality but how is it even supposed to make sense?
Because decriminalization removes crimes (or at least criminal justice consequences) related to possession, but not import, sale, or manufacture.

Good parts are removing avenues for police harassment and steering users towards health and wellbeing resources, bad parts are leaving the import, sale, and manufacture in the hands of unregulated criminal gangs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why would decriminalization not include "of production"?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

That was one tough Blue Monday (Tuesday). Just 32, 33 (or maybe even 40?) of them left. Sigh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Why would decriminalization not include "of production"?
Everywhere else that term has been used it only refers to simple possession, or sometimes to growing small amounts of botanical drugs for personal use (but unless you're going to allow cooperatives, which it generally doesn't, that doesn't help everyone).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds absurd though I find it hard to imagine that a stable equilibrium could exist for long between decriminalization of posession and use and also of production.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is why I could never bring myself to fully support the Northern Independence Party even ironically. Like human sacrifice and cannibalism some cultural norms are completely beyond the pale.

Eh. Sure you don't mean it but that's a really poor choice of phrase at the end there mate.

Re: Bovril, wayback in the very early 70s, when I was wee and we'd only just moved to the UK, we went to a cafe for lunch and the waitress asked if I wanted a hot drink. I looked at the mostly alien menu and asked for a cup of bovril. I'd seen the -ov- and thought I was getting something related to Ovaltine.
Horrible, horrible shock when I drank some.

Guavanaut posted:

Nice of them to low key admit that it was criminalization that put organised criminals in control in the first place.
It really was a far nicer scene when weed* was mostly in the hands of disorganised petty criminals. Even at the level of buying pounds it was fairly relaxed. (*meaning all cannabis products, more solid than herb then)

Umbra Dubium posted:

How anyone can argue that cannabis is "dangerous and harmful" when alcohol and tobacco remain legal is beyond me.

Certainly less harmful than a mug full of Jameson's, eh, Keith.

Yes but you see those are what Nice people do, that there weed of Satan is all them funny-tinged chaps, and waste of space bohemians.

e:clarification

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 4, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This is just a necessity for building a winning coalition. Ultimately, Labour has to take popular positions in order to win power.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1478415947786604553

e: a bit more detail:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1478417413746184193

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

yung lambic posted:

That was one tough Blue Monday (Tuesday). Just 32, 33 (or maybe even 40?) of them left. Sigh.

Even though it's a bunch of baseless bollocks, I thought it was supposed to be the third Monday of January?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Re decriminalisation, I was chatting to the guy I buy it off last week and he said all the people he buys off are thinking about legalisation/decrim and trying to develop their own strains or whatever to turn into a brand, which seems to me to be a. inordinately optimistic about the future of drugs policy in this country and b. even more unjustifiably optimistic about any possible legalisation not being done in such a way as to hand control of the industry directly to multinationals and existing agribusiness (e.g. GW pharm)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Decriminalisation is a bullshit approach that solves none of the major issues. Cannabis will still be illegal, the police will still be stopping and searching young people for it, and gangs will still be warring with each other. However, with decriminalisation, it now opens up a new market where bullshit merchants can provide compulsory bullshit courses and make bank.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EmptyVessel posted:

Eh. Sure you don't mean it but that's a really poor choice of phrase at the end there mate.

I compared putting gravy on chips to cannibalism and human sacrifice... and you're worried I'm Doing A Spectator with the *other* half of the post?

(No seriously I'm not sure what I'm being accused of here - "beyond the pale", as in "Things that are done by the savages outside the walls" *is* a perfectly cromulent turn of phrase for a post taking the comedic perspective of someone literally saying Northerners need to be kept repressed for their culinary choices)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

Re decriminalisation, I was chatting to the guy I buy it off last week and he said all the people he buys off are thinking about legalisation/decrim and trying to develop their own strains or whatever to turn into a brand, which seems to me to be a. inordinately optimistic about the future of drugs policy in this country and b. even more unjustifiably optimistic about any possible legalisation not being done in such a way as to hand control of the industry directly to multinationals and existing agribusiness (e.g. GW pharm)

I think they're expecting it to go something like it did in the US (and when you have a more repressive drug regime than the US... hoo boy), where this is in fact what happened, because (unlike what your mate's stoner big brother told you in the 90s) it turns out Philip Morris et. al. *weren't* sitting on plans to take over the entire industry as soon as it was legalised, and in fact everyone was pretty surprised with how quickly legalisation happened, which left the large semi-legal growers in California and (Colorado? Oregon? I can't remember the other state where medical marijuana was allowed) as the biggest fish in what was suddenly a much, much bigger pond.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I compared putting gravy on chips to cannibalism and human sacrifice... and you're worried I'm Doing A Spectator with the *other* half of the post?

(No seriously I'm not sure what I'm being accused of here - "beyond the pale", as in "Things that are done by the savages outside the walls" *is* a perfectly cromulent turn of phrase for a post taking the comedic perspective of someone literally saying Northerners need to be kept repressed for their culinary choices)

I have a vague memory that "beyond the pale" has some sort of specific iffy connotation but I can't remember why I think that or what the connotation is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have a vague memory that "beyond the pale" has some sort of specific iffy connotation but I can't remember why I think that or what the connotation is.

There's some bollocks associations of it with anti-Semitism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Beyond the pale is where Irish are, inside the pale is where Jews are. Nobody in history has ever built pales for reasons other than putting one group of people inside or outside them though, so whichever pale you're thinking of will have connotations.

fuctifino posted:

Decriminalisation is a bullshit approach that solves none of the major issues. Cannabis will still be illegal, the police will still be stopping and searching young people for it, and gangs will still be warring with each other. However, with decriminalisation, it now opens up a new market where bullshit merchants can provide compulsory bullshit courses and make bank.
Blanket decrim personal possession of all drugs worked well in Portugal, which had a big heroin misuse problem and now has less of one. Ended the HIV/Aids epidemic there too.

It still involves pretending very hard that one side of the equation doesn't exist, but there's a lot of bullshit right up to the UN level in doing much otherwise, although it'll be interesting to see what happens in Germany with cannabis legalization.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

XMNN posted:

So you're saying that they are capitalists? They can gently caress right off and all. "Brands" ffs. Short step from coke snorting Tory-boy that.

fuctifino posted:

Courses in what? Lol. Just don't go, certainly don't loving pay. Lying to and disobeying the Man and then disappearing is a cool thing to learn.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was brought up to understand that the Pale (fence) in question was specifically that between the noble civilised English and the barbaric, uncouth Irish, and that it was not a polite or nice phrase to use, even in jest. But I'm probably old-fashioned and grumpy. Feel free to ignore me. :)

fe: Oh, it has gently caress all to do with anti-semitism. (Ignorance of your Culture is Considered Uncool!)
"The earliest reference ( 1547 ) to the Pale in Ireland as such draws the contrast between the English Pale and the ‘wyld Irysh’: the area beyond the pale would have been regarded as dangerous and uncivilized by the English."

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is just a necessity for building a winning coalition. Ultimately, Labour has to take popular positions in order to win power.

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1478415947786604553

e: a bit more detail:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1478417413746184193

I don't think there is a clearer example anywhere of middle class opinion haver think than Tony Blair. The commentariat just seem to assume he's revered.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Blanket decrim personal possession of all drugs worked well in Portugal, which had a big heroin misuse problem and now has less of one. Ended the HIV/Aids epidemic there too.

A blanket decriminalisation is certainly a step in the right direction, rather than this suggested age and postcode limited trial that's being suggested in London, but full legalisation is where it should be at. Adults should have the right to choose which substance they want to take, and be able to go to a superdrug and purchase super drugs from a qualified professional. Decriminalisation is still prohibition, and it still allows a criminal black market to exist.

EmptyVessel posted:

Courses in what? Lol. Just don't go, certainly don't loving pay. Lying to and disobeying the Man and then disappearing is a cool thing to learn.

Courses in 'Drugs are bad mmmkay?". There's a good chance that such courses will be compulsory to escape it being escalated to a criminal charge or caution. I'm pretty certain such courses are compulsory in Portugal, and that the attendees are required to pay for them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zalakwe posted:

I don't think there is a clearer example anywhere of middle class opinion haver think than Tony Blair. The commentariat just seem to assume he's revered.

He’s won elections unlike that evildoer Corbyn!

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007

Nonsense posted:

He’s won elections unlike that evildoer Corbyn!

I think you'll find winning things is the most important thing in the world. Far more important than say foreign children.

I think there are things to commend Tony Blair for (Good Friday Agreement being one) but he got the Iraq thing very wrong and it seems can't be resuscitated from it politically. Whether Labour can is probably tbc to be honest.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 4, 2022

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I read this post on here today (I didn't click through to twitter), and this evening I get this youtube recommendation -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SzYSjIlG4

I don't know whether to be impressed or scared by this example of google's level of spying on me.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

EmptyVessel posted:

So you're saying that they are capitalists? They can gently caress right off and all. "Brands" ffs. Short step from coke snorting Tory-boy that.

well they are drug dealers

my guy is always telling me about the different types and what's coming up and I don't have the heart to tell him I don't really care that much as long as it gets me high

e:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think they're expecting it to go something like it did in the US (and when you have a more repressive drug regime than the US... hoo boy), where this is in fact what happened, because (unlike what your mate's stoner big brother told you in the 90s) it turns out Philip Morris et. al. *weren't* sitting on plans to take over the entire industry as soon as it was legalised, and in fact everyone was pretty surprised with how quickly legalisation happened, which left the large semi-legal growers in California and (Colorado? Oregon? I can't remember the other state where medical marijuana was allowed) as the biggest fish in what was suddenly a much, much bigger pond.

yeah this was the impression I got from him, but I just can't see the British government taking the same approach if we ever get there. plus, we've already got at least one huge legal grower

XMNN fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 4, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I'm all for blair being knighted, seems an entirely appropriate fit.

it's a shame they didn't go for a more appropriate title, such as “Lord Death of Murder Mountain”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

EmptyVessel posted:

fe: Oh, it has gently caress all to do with anti-semitism. (Ignorance of your Culture is Considered Uncool!)
"The earliest reference ( 1547 ) to the Pale in Ireland as such draws the contrast between the English Pale and the ‘wyld Irysh’: the area beyond the pale would have been regarded as dangerous and uncivilized by the English."

Oh, I'm aware of the Irish etymology ( i.e. the one that's more generally considered the "real" etymology), but as Guav says there have been a few historical Pales and thus chin-stroking concern abounds