Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're ok with disposable, my wife likes silicone plugs like these for things like concerts or races. Definitely not as good as foam plugs, but easier to get a good seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

These are the plugs that I wear for a 4 day rave that happens every year, comfortable enough to wear for days yet the sound still sounds good. The disposable orange plugs are great but everything sounds like poo poo with them in.
https://www.amazon.com/Eargasm-Musicians-Motorcycles-Sensitivity-Conditions/dp/B019M576XW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

I finally was able to order a tinted visor for the RF-1400:
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/shoei-cwr-f2-transitions-photochromic-pinlock-ready-shield/

I meant to post here to tell everyone it was available but it's been crazy for xmas and I haven't been on the forums for days, and now it's out of stock. I had signed up for email alerts so I bought it the second I received the email.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
after recommendations from some of my musician friends i have been incredibly pleased with the performance/price of my non-disposable plugs i got from the unfortunately named company eargasm.com

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

after recommendations from some of my musician friends i have been incredibly pleased with the performance/price of my non-disposable plugs i got from the unfortunately named company eargasm.com

I'll probably end up just scraping the company name off the holder.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I use cheap 33dB foamies for everything. I've never missed hearing anything on the road or at a concert. Idk what the hype about those filter types is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Foamies often reduce higher frequencies more than lower ones so you end up hearing Too Much Bass. Many people find it annoying, many people also don't mind it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Midjack posted:

Foamies often reduce higher frequencies more than lower ones so you end up hearing Too Much Bass. Many people find it annoying, many people also don't mind it.
This is exactly it. At my old place I used to have to sleep with earplugs and all I could hear was bass, sometimes it felt more disturbing to my sleep than no plugs at all.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

When I wear foamies, it makes my dinky MT03 stock exhaust sound like A MONSTER RAOOWORRRR

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My hip issues make putting multiple things around my waist really suck, so I’m looking at moving to rain/weather pants that have suspenders instead. This also helps because I’m tall and fat and most of my height is in my torso.

Everything I’m finding with suspenders seems to be … European sizing, cheap Joe Rocket garbage, or north of $600 (more like $1000+) for just the pants. Not that I’ll never be in the market for something that pricey, but it’s going to rain here in Oregon until May or June and I need something sooner rather than later.

I’m thinking of moving to wearing my armored riding jeans under something like Frogg Toggs bibs. Sure, they’ll get destroyed if I’m in an accident, but I’ll have the armor under them to protect my body. They even have patch kits if I burn them on the muffler.

Any great disadvantage I might be missing? My biggest hurdle is being a big boy who dares to also be tall.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

My hip issues make putting multiple things around my waist really suck, so I’m looking at moving to rain/weather pants that have suspenders instead. This also helps because I’m tall and fat and most of my height is in my torso.

Everything I’m finding with suspenders seems to be … European sizing, cheap Joe Rocket garbage, or north of $600 (more like $1000+) for just the pants. Not that I’ll never be in the market for something that pricey, but it’s going to rain here in Oregon until May or June and I need something sooner rather than later.

I’m thinking of moving to wearing my armored riding jeans under something like Frogg Toggs bibs. Sure, they’ll get destroyed if I’m in an accident, but I’ll have the armor under them to protect my body. They even have patch kits if I burn them on the muffler.

Any great disadvantage I might be missing? My biggest hurdle is being a big boy who dares to also be tall.

they breathe horribly. like really bad. and they fit worse

but they're like $20 and I really don't recommend half assing WP gear purchases as you'll often get poo poo with liners inside of the jacket and other dumb things like that. I used frogg toggs for awhile bicycle commuting in portland and they were fine. we had a shower at work though so me getting sweaty was nbd, but yeah, they do not breathe and fit like garbage

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I was leaning towards the more expensive ones that at least claim they’re breathable. I can hopefully try them on at Dick’s or Cabela’s and see how true that is.

I was also looking at more expensive hiking brands through REI and such and finding the same fit issues.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

any of the stuff that isn't a porous material (goretex, eVent, etc) is gonna breathe poorly. that being said I'd imagine that stuff breathes far better than standard frogg togg stuff, but their regular cheap stuff I used for bicycle commuting (til I got my SAR and mosko gear) and crabbing on the coast was only like $20. I'd pay $20 to stay dry and mildly uncomfortable. I would not spend $200+ to feel the same

again, not saying this is a bad idea, I just would recommend the regular frogg toggs over that expensive bib version as it looks like that cut is as ridiculous as their $20 cut and costs 10x as much. regular frogg toggs rule specifically for their price. maybe see if they have a cheapo version of bibbed pants on amazon or something? worst comes to worst and you hate the cut you can always just return them. or do the Amazon Rental Service™ I did for heated gloves the past couple winters :D

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What's wrong with Euro sizing? There are plenty of large bois across the pond

If you want something that breathes you're gonna have to pony up. There's no such thing as a cheap waterproof membrane that breathes well and is actually waterproof. Don't gently caress with hiking/fishing/whatever gear, you'll just end up paying extra for something that ends up being half-assed on a bike at best, like legs that aren't long enough in a seated position so water ends up blowing in over the top of your boots.

Frogg Toggs will last about one season before you have to replace them, the lining pills up real bad all over everything and they tear easy. At <$100/set that may be palatable to you. You can also spend a little bit more and get a motorcycle specific rain suit that will hold up for years and fit better than golf gear and keep you dry, but also won't breathe for poo poo. I have a BMW rainsuit I got on closeout that I keep on the bike in case of summer rainstorms that falls into this category.

Keep an eye out on the ADVRider flea market section, you'll eventually find a good deal on some GoreTex riding gear in your size over there

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There's not really a middle ground with waterproof gear - either pay the money for the good stuff or just buy the cheapest unlined waterproofs you can find and throw them over your regular gear. Stuff in the middle of the price range will both be uncomfortable and start leaking after a few thousand miles. Also the big problem with having "dry" and "wet" kit separately is you never know if it's going to start raining (or the sun's suddenly going to come out) in the middle of your ride, and you'll end up uncomfortable if it does.

(Of course this isn't to say if you're a year-round biker (or spring and autumn are particularly harsh) that you shouldn't have a separate cold-weather set of kit, which can be nice and pricey, but I'm assuming here that you're just looking for something to cover you for an occasional wet commute)

For OP's particular issue - you're probably best off finding yourself a cheap one-piece oversuit like this. Addresses your problem with things around your waist quite nicely (and gets rid of one of the places that water loves to get in), and with that big zip it should be nice and easy to get in and out of at the side of the road if required. Top tip - carry two plastic bags with you too - pop them over your boots and you should be able to slide the legs over your boots without problems, and if it's *really* poo poo weather just leave them in place and shut the trouser cuffs over them to waterproof your boots too.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For OP's particular issue - you're probably best off finding yourself a cheap one-piece oversuit like this. Addresses your problem with things around your waist quite nicely (and gets rid of one of the places that water loves to get in), and with that big zip it should be nice and easy to get in and out of at the side of the road if required. Top tip - carry two plastic bags with you too - pop them over your boots and you should be able to slide the legs over your boots without problems, and if it's *really* poo poo weather just leave them in place and shut the trouser cuffs over them to waterproof your boots too.

Fat dudes with long torsos do not seem to be their target demographic according to the sizing charts I'm finding (I'm checking multiple brands, but none of them are close so far).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Picked up the RevIt AirWave 3 jacket & pants combo last month as a way of pre-spending my end of year bonus :v:

Both look good, though the pants remind me I have a few more inches to lose off the ol' waist before April lol. Nice to finally have a set of gear that properly zips to each other.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Something I've been thinking about trying, because there just isn't the stuff on the shelves to be sold at a discount, is wearing snowboarding pants over my armored kevlar jeans. They're baggy enough to be worn as a shell, but less baggy than some Klim stuff I've seen, have gaiters to stop water going up them, have a 3-ply gore-tex membrane and are fully seam taped, have useful outer pockets, and my one pair even has suspenders and a bib. You are a lot more likely to find previous season snowboarding gear on sale for cheap than motorcycle gear. Downside is they don't have heat resistant panels where they might contact an exhaust, but then cheaper MC gear doesn't have that either.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Inspired by this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXE_xrLsp3k) I'm trying to put together a more robust travel tool set, but my underseat space is very limited.

I was considering this tire plug kit, since it seems so compact: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097TS2MNQ/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 - Any issues to look out for?

Also, my factory tool kit doesn't seem to have the pin spanner for adjusting the rear suspension preload (bought the bike used). Do I need the OEM spanner or can I adjust the shocks with some pliers and patience?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T Zero posted:

Inspired by this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXE_xrLsp3k) I'm trying to put together a more robust travel tool set, but my underseat space is very limited.

I was considering this tire plug kit, since it seems so compact: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097TS2MNQ/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 - Any issues to look out for?

Also, my factory tool kit doesn't seem to have the pin spanner for adjusting the rear suspension preload (bought the bike used). Do I need the OEM spanner or can I adjust the shocks with some pliers and patience?

You also want the goo/glue. And then it will dry out if you don't use it so you'll need to replace it in six months to a year.

Also, how will you inflate the tire?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'll add a tube of rubber cement.

I was planning to use a compact bicycle pump for air (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ICOCOPRO-Min...ng-goods&sr=1-8)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T Zero posted:

I was planning to use a compact bicycle pump for air (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ICOCOPRO-Min...ng-goods&sr=1-8)

I know space is limited but that thing seems like a tremendous pain. Certainly possible, just be aware that you will not enjoy the experience.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

Oh man you'll be pumping there forever. This won't fit underneath i assume BUT if you're going to go for a bicycle pump and have more room elsewhere, this is the one I recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Bicyc...=8-3&th=1&psc=1

You want the high volume version, the inline gauge is not required but could be a nice thing to have. Bonus points if you mountain bike/bike pack/gravel ride as well as this can serve its intended purpose there.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Russian Bear posted:

Oh man you'll be pumping there forever. This won't fit underneath i assume BUT if you're going to go for a bicycle pump and have more room elsewhere, this is the one I recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Bicyc...=8-3&th=1&psc=1

You want the high volume version, the inline gauge is not required but could be a nice thing to have. Bonus points if you mountain bike/bike pack/gravel ride as well as this can serve its intended purpose there.

Yes, this is the one! I was looking for it but gave up because :suzuki:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Finger Prince posted:

Something I've been thinking about trying, because there just isn't the stuff on the shelves to be sold at a discount, is wearing snowboarding pants over my armored kevlar jeans. They're baggy enough to be worn as a shell, but less baggy than some Klim stuff I've seen, have gaiters to stop water going up them, have a 3-ply gore-tex membrane and are fully seam taped, have useful outer pockets, and my one pair even has suspenders and a bib. You are a lot more likely to find previous season snowboarding gear on sale for cheap than motorcycle gear. Downside is they don't have heat resistant panels where they might contact an exhaust, but then cheaper MC gear doesn't have that either.

If you do try it let us know how it goes; I'd had the same thought about using snowboarding gear but ended up going for military surplus waterproofs as the cheaper option. They've been good but for obvious reasons they don't come in brilliant white or dayglo orange

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you do try it let us know how it goes; I'd had the same thought about using snowboarding gear but ended up going for military surplus waterproofs as the cheaper option. They've been good but for obvious reasons they don't come in brilliant white or dayglo orange

Army wet weather gear works, though when I wore it in Alabama summer rains, the heat and humidity made me sweat so much it negated keeping the rain out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've used ski pants while riding in winter, it's fine. They do right up the leg, so you need to be wearing tall boots.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

you’re golden. I wear my mosko WP stuff when I ski since my old gear is from my teens, but yeah, wear it over armored gear (how the mosko stuff is designed to be used)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

If there's anyone here who has used cat crap for a while, is/was it a daily application thing? I thought it was working after I quit being miserly with it, but after a couple days now my sunglasses are back to fogging.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

not cat crap specifically but I've tried soap on the glasses to prevent fogging them while masked at work and yeah, works okay but not as good as just wearing contacts. had to reapply daily tho

usually just wear contacts while riding now unless it's spring / summer or I am wearing a heated shield since that'll unfog my glasses too

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
yea polish cat crap in before your ride and you'll be fine. try for every other or third day then stick with an interval that's just short of your glasses fogging.
2nding that soap works well in a pinch.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What rear stand should I get for my MT03? Is this one alright? Are they all largely the same thing?

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-rear-paddock-stand?sku_id=1127303

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Russian Bear posted:

What rear stand should I get for my MT03? Is this one alright? Are they all largely the same thing?

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/trackside-rear-paddock-stand?sku_id=1127303

https://www.pit-bull.com/

unless you are literally broke there's no reason to buy anything but pit bull stands

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They aren't all the same, quality and strength varies wildly. Good rules of thumb are to get something that's got the biggest tube diameter possible, has all the structural elements welded together in one piece, has nice big wheels (poly wheels with actual bearings are expensive, plastic ones with no bearing are cheap) as the size and quality of the wheels has a big influence on ease of use and is a good indicator of the level of quality the maker was aiming for.

Two things put me off about that one. First thing is the loop is relatively small, yes you have lots of leverage because of the handle but on some bikes, maybe yours, the bobbins will be far enough forward that the stand may not clear the tyre or tail section. Second, and related, the hook/foot design is extremely poor. I know firsthand that the type that can rotate horizontally will rotate exactly when you don't want them to and cause the bike to fall off, you really want the type that have standardized claws/pads slide in and out of fixed brackets, something like this.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I have that, and it’s fine IMO. The guy from sportsbike track gear says it’s bad though.

https://youtu.be/WB-5G_fB1YQ

Edit: Whoa late to the party. I’m sure pitbull stuff is better and when I get a different front stand I’ll probably get theirs, but I don’t think you’re destined to tip your bike over if you buy that trackside one. My bike is relatively light with a non funky shaped swing arm, though.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 12, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I had used that trackside one (and the under fork front pairing) for the past 3.5 years with my mt09 and like…it’s fine but I gave them to my neighbor when I moved to seattle last month and am just ordering a pitbull set to replace them.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I have a cheap one. It is poo poo. There is no handle so it wants to squash your fingers when putting the bike on the stand and is hard to take the bike off the stand. It comes apart into three pieces, so it was easier to post to me I guess? But it also flexes when you are lifting the bike. Don't buy the cheapest one you can.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FBS posted:

https://www.pit-bull.com/

unless you are literally broke there's no reason to buy anything but pit bull stands

absolutely. Spend the extra on the hybrid front if you ever plan on anything beyond brakes and wheels.

Megabook posted:

I have a cheap one. It is poo poo. There is no handle so it wants to squash your fingers when putting the bike on the stand and is hard to take the bike off the stand. It comes apart into three pieces, so it was easier to post to me I guess? But it also flexes when you are lifting the bike. Don't buy the cheapest one you can.

Venom, probably. I have one, pure junk. I welded the pieces together but it still flexes because it's made of thin walled pot metal.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Unless they've changed how they're made in the past few years, T-rex stands are also poo poo, do not buy

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Does anyone have any winter gloves that work particularly well? My current gloves, admittedly just 3-season gloves, do not hold up well below 0°C. I have heated grips so my palms feel okay, but my fingers hurt. I'm not prepared to run hippo hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

ArcticZombie posted:

Does anyone have any winter gloves that work particularly well? My current gloves, admittedly just 3-season gloves, do not hold up well below 0°C. I have heated grips so my palms feel okay, but my fingers hurt. I'm not prepared to run hippo hands.

Not really. Prepare yourself:

Best thing you can do is try to stop the wind before it reaches your gloves. What about some big honking plastic handguards?