Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Picking Monk back up and leveling it with the new EW changes, one question: what are the best attacks to use under Perfect Balance when it doesn't matter which attacks you use (Tornado Kick/Phantom Rush time, basically)? I've picked up from reading other players' stuff that it's best to alternate between Bootshine and Dragon Kick for the lunar nadi, but what about when you have both nadis? Just a normal combo of three different chakras, or is there a better option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
If you have both Nadi your finisher will always be Phantom Rush, so alternate Booshines/DKicks like old Perfect Balance had you do. Leaden fist and guaranteed crits put Bootshines well above all your other weaponskills for potency.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Similarly if you're in AOE just spam Shadow for the crits.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

And for AoE under Perfect Balance, spamming Shadow of the Destroyer seems to be the way to go, again due to auto crits.

Of the i580 food options, I'm not sure whether archon burgers or pumpkin potage math out better. None of the food options for phys DPS are crit/dh unless you go all the way down to i510.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thundarr posted:

Only 500 astronomy tomes to buy a weapon, unlike the 1000 limited tomes it's been since ARR? That's kind of nice.

That's nice since it frees like 1 extra piece of gear on the road to the 7th week. Is that the only lowered cost? Can't check until Sunday at the earliest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the Monk tips!

I'm really enjoying Monk right now, a lot more than I ever did in the past. Having something to build to feels nice. Also it's fun that I'm finally enjoying some melee DPS jobs. For some reason it's the role I've been the least interested in up to now but I've been having a great time with both Reaper and Monk (tanking is still my favorite though and I'm itching to level a second tank once I have other roles to 90).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

That's nice since it frees like 1 extra piece of gear on the road to the 7th week. Is that the only lowered cost? Can't check until Sunday at the earliest.

It's all that's mentioned in the patch notes. It's also something they announced a while back in one of the PLLs, also by itself, so I'd assume it's the only change.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought /snap and set up a bunch of job change macros and I am now that person.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Onean posted:

It's all that's mentioned in the patch notes. It's also something they announced a while back in one of the PLLs, also by itself, so I'd assume it's the only change.

Well, still a nice change. May motivate me to speed farm Pandemoniun/Tomestones on Sunday before reset which is gonna be hell :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kinda wish they settled on something more interesting for the forked raiju changes, but at least ninja is back to being the most convenient melee DPS

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When I look at the stats on the new crafted set and realize all the i580 stuff I already obtained is just gonna get replaced with melded crafted stuff immediately except for maybe one piece.

Such wonders we get when the gear is a mystery until the day of.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm rather disappointed with how panda gear dyes, especially the maiming. The torso and leather goes dark black and doesn't change no matter what you dye it, instead of the white and dark grey it is normally. I'd have much rather preferred it just stay that color, but the big change is super lame. I guess this is just a huge argument for multiple dye channels, but drat it SE I hate when you just have multiple things change when you dye a piece. :argh:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Having played black mage to 80, somehow, last expansion but wanting to actually use it with some degree of finesse this expansion: how the gently caress do I black mage

e: I will settle for 'not last on the aggro charts'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Triplecast.

And/or don't use Fire IV, only Despair and Paradox. That seems to be the meme right now anyway.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Pollyanna posted:

I bought /snap and set up a bunch of job change macros and I am now that person.

Same but it's just too cool not to do it. Switching jobs feels a lot more impactful when you're snapping to do it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Same but it's just too cool not to do it. Switching jobs feels a lot more impactful when you're snapping to do it.

If you do it while moving does your upper body freeze and snap while your legs keep moving, or do you just not do the emote stuff all?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

If you do it while moving does your upper body freeze and snap while your legs keep moving, or do you just not do the emote stuff all?

You just don't emote at all.

Oddly, the /snap animation is slightly interrupted by the job change except if you are sitting down in which case you switch jobs while finishing the /snap animation smoothly. I have no idea why this is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I noticed that too. I wonder if there's a way to make that work when standing too.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I noticed that too. I wonder if there's a way to make that work when standing too.

Please let me know if you figure it out. I scoured the internet for /snap macros to see if anyone had when I bought it, but no one has it seems.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You'd either need fractional /wait (probably not happening) or for gearset change to not interrupt animations (probably not happening). That said, I don't know the XIV codebase thank gently caress, so :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless one of those is MCH I'm not really that sympathetic. At least BRD and DNC have legit rdps.

It is in fact MCH, but my parses for MCH have been far more respectable than DNC. Maybe I'm just not as good at playing DNC as I thought. Still the most fun class.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm still working on getting dancer to 90, but I fear that with the introduction of starfall dance there are enough big attacks to fit in the window that it makes it worth saving devilment for after technical finish. No more fishing for huge numbers :smith:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I hit 86 on NIN and i'm wondering how to activate my superior fart cloud. Does it happen automatically after I do an AoE before/after casting Doton? I'm a little confused as to the order of events needed to eke out that extra potency.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless one of those is MCH I'm not really that sympathetic. At least BRD and DNC have legit rdps.
:confused: MCH has parsed higher than Bard on the 89 EX until 95th percentile, and until 80th percentile on 83 EX. I think Machinist is fine.

edit: I've seen other people mention they think MCH needs a buff and as someone that plays it often, I don't see why. It plays mostly the same way as in ShB and as I said above it's parsing just fine in comparison to the other Aiming classes. I don't see a reason for any changes or any reason to think it's particularly worse than the other Aiming classes.

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 4, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
HOLY gently caress NEW MAP DUNGEON IS VERY GOOD

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hit enrage on P1S at 16%, it's a pretty fun fight.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Theris posted:

Life surge doesn't work on wyrmwind. It's an "ability" while life surge only acts on "weaponskills" (GCDs, essentially).

What might change is delaying buffs to ensure the first wyrmwind fits into your initial buff window, but I kind of doubt it.

Edit: If the initial buff window gets pushed back, it might be after the first fang & claw. If that's the case, you wouldn't life surge the first fang and claw anymore. The priority for life surge is buffed heaven's thrust > buffed fifth hit > unbuffed heaven's thrust. It's better to hold a life surge charge for the next HT than use it on an unbuffed fifth hit.

this is where I reveal that despite maining drg I don't know any of my ability names and thought wyrmwind was the thing full thrust upgrades into

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Begemot posted:

I'm still working on getting dancer to 90, but I fear that with the introduction of starfall dance there are enough big attacks to fit in the window that it makes it worth saving devilment for after technical finish. No more fishing for huge numbers :smith:

The 90 opener does indeed put Devilment after Technical Finish. Burst phase is pretty hectic if your dance partner is going ham and you've got four feathers saved up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mordiceius posted:

HOLY gently caress NEW MAP DUNGEON IS VERY GOOD

Is it different than the other map dungeons in a way outside of it has bunnies?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I figured out how to do the new master recipes on an extreme melding budget. I have X's in my primary rightside slots and VIII's in my primary leftside slots and weapons, and all the melds are a mixture of cheap VI's for the first overmeld (usually Control), IV Controls, and I/II's for CP. The only thing you have to splurge for is +7 CP overmelds in the first slot on your primary/secondary weapon, though you can cheat and use two IV CP's if you can get a huge stack of them for cheap. With HQ Tsai and HQ Cunning Craftsman's Syrup, I'm at 3224 Craftsmanship, 3272 Control, and 673 CP.

For 70 Durability crafts, you need at least two HQ materials to get to a reliable HQ end product, though this depends on at least one Good proc somewhere favorable. If you don't want to hedge your bets, you'll need at least 3 to guarantee HQ, especially if you're macro crafting.

For 35 Durability, I use these two macros:

quote:

[Macro 1]
/ac "Reflect" <wait.3>
/ac "Manipulation" <wait.2>
/ac "Prudent Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Innovation" <wait.2>
/ac "Trained Finesse" <wait.3>
/ac "Great Strides" <wait.2>
/echo "Macro #1 Complete" <se.1>

[Macro 2]
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <wait.3>
/ac "Master's Mend" <wait.3>
/ac "Veneration" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac "Groundwork" <wait.3>
/e Craft Complete <se.9>
This unfortunately has the chance of a Poor Byregot's, but it'll still get you HQ very reliably otherwise.

For 70 Durability, I use these two macros:

quote:

[Macro 1]
/ac "Reflect" <wait.3>
/ac "Manipulation" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not II" <wait.2>
/ac "Preparatory Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Veneration" <wait.2>
/echo "Macro #1 complete!" <se.1>

[Macro 2]
/ac "Tricks of the Trade" <wait.3>
/ac "Great Strides" <wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <wait.3>
/echo "Craft complete!" <se.1>
This has a Tricks line, so you don't have to worry about a Poor Byregot's. Again, you'll need 3 HQ to reliably macro craft it, but you're generally going to get at least one Good proc somewhere with your Preps and Trained Finesse, so you can afford to do only 2 HQ if you don't mind gambling a little. You can make this more reliable if you're manually crafting, since there's a tiny amount of wiggle room in the opening with Veneration where you can sacrifice one stack of it to pop a Preparatory if you get a Good or Excellent proc in the opener.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 4, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

You'd either need fractional /wait (probably not happening) or for gearset change to not interrupt animations (probably not happening). That said, I don't know the XIV codebase thank gently caress, so :shrug:

I saw a YouTube video about this and they put a wait 1 between the snap and the job change

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Glagha posted:

Is it different than the other map dungeons in a way outside of it has bunnies?

It looks very good.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Is the "Milk those ways" trophy only for those that get to the last chamber? I've done a bunch and the trophy hasn't popped. The description could be a bit clearer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Is the "Milk those ways" trophy only for those that get to the last chamber? I've done a bunch and the trophy hasn't popped. The description could be a bit clearer.

Not sure how much clearer they could make it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So again new to endgame crafting, is the only way to reliably craft master recipes is to pentameld? Cause man is that just not something I'm interested in doing

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

You don't need the Trained Finesse to guarantee HQ on most crafts, assuming you've melded well. I still prefer the aforementioned rotation for macro crafting, since you can fit in a Tricks line into the macro to avoid a Poor Byregot's much more easily. Trying to do it with that rotation in a way that doesn't short Innovation (Prep 3x -> Inno -> Prep -> GS -> Byregot's) leaves me at about 96% HQ without any Good/Excellent procs.

Here's the full version of the macro I'm using for 90 crafts. Stats are 3202 Craftsmanship, 3014 Control, 529 CP.

This is a guaranteed 100% HQ without Good/Excellent procs and also avoids Excellent spaghetti thanks to the Tricks line.

i 100% stole your macro and made it work for my stats, thanks. so now i will be the hokage of potage

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Not sure how much clearer they could make it.

The description in the actual PlayStation trophy screen just says "raid the excitatron", but yeah does seem you need to get to the final chamber. Never got past the 3rd out of 20 tries.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Macaluso posted:

So again new to endgame crafting, is the only way to reliably craft master recipes is to pentameld? Cause man is that just not something I'm interested in doing

I think you can HQ base mats pretty easily with scrip gear, and then with a few HQ base mats make HQ master gear pretty reliably, with food and meds. Fully overmelded HQ master crafting gear basically just lets you make the gear without HQ base mats, food, or meds, and lets you do it with a macro reliably instead of needing to min/max each step. I made my HQ aesthete's gear in ShB with HQ facet gear, which I definitely didn't overmeld, and I used the aesthete's to make exarchic stuff with regular melds and HQ food/meds.

Basically overmelded HQ gear is for if you're going to try and make money cranking out a ton of kit to sell on the marketboard, you don't need it if you're just crafting for yourself and friends.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Chillgamesh posted:

I think you can HQ base mats pretty easily with scrip gear, and then with a few HQ base mats make HQ master gear pretty reliably, with food and meds. Fully overmelded HQ master crafting gear basically just lets you make the gear without HQ base mats, food, or meds. I made my HQ aesthete's gear in ShB with HQ facet gear, which I definitely didn't overmeld, and I used the aesthete's to make exarchic stuff with regular melds and HQ food/meds.

Cool thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Check my post above if you're interested in it. You still want to pentameld, but you can skimp hard and go predominantly with cheapo IV's for the pentamelding part. It'll vary from server to server, but you should be able to do it for, like, 500k or so, assuming you can get the X's from normal activities or scrip.