Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ante posted:

Yeah, then you're relegated to the rough areas of town, the slalums

This gave me quite a good chuckle.

Got into a hell of a alder patch yesterday in a new zone we were exploring. We did salvage a good run out of it and sled dropped a cut block for recompense. Back in the states now. Also my GFs border test was negative (3 tests in 4 days didn't surprise us there). Back to ole I-70 next weekend, I hear there are crowds there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
I'm thinking about a trip up to Jackson's Hole in February but have heard a lot about the crowds, is it really a no go on weekends? Also thinking about Grand Targhee but don't know if I want to spend two days there.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Unless something is wack, if you're worried about crowds you should definitely choose Targhee over JHMR. Not sure why you wouldnt want to spend two days there.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

henceforth all ski town lodging will be assigned based on your performance in the previous year's powder 8's competition

This sounds like the plot of an 80s ski movie. The competition will be narrated by a mysterious announcer heard around the mountain, and there will be gratuitous T&A.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Targhee is great. You can find powder a week after a storm there, and they have one of my favorite hotlaps ever: Toilet Bowl -> Waterfall -> Screaming Cheetah.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This sounds like the plot of an 80s ski movie. The competition will be narrated by a mysterious announcer heard around the mountain, and there will be gratuitous T&A.

:rms:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Early February is a great time to go to Jackson and Targhee, check out both on your trip if you can.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Went out touring again today, this time Hidden Peak on the west shore. Hadn’t skied it before but had done peaks just north and south of it. It was all well sheltered from the recent shifting winds an absolutely fantastic

Steve French fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 3, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Made it up to Palisades and goddamn is it nice to be out skiing for the first time since Feb 20. What’s good around here? I’m staying at Olympic Valley, is it worth checking out Alpine?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

luminalflux posted:

Made it up to Palisades and goddamn is it nice to be out skiing for the first time since Feb 20. What’s good around here? I’m staying at Olympic Valley, is it worth checking out Alpine?

Alpine is great, definitely worth checking out, but if you're on a shorter trip and haven't gotten tired of the Olympic Valley side terrain (or lines) you might not find it worth hopping over. It's less crowded, smaller, but still plenty of great terrain.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I feel like Alpine has better intermediate terrain than Palisades, a ton of great blues

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Tour yesterday on Huntsman Ridge above Mc Clure Pass was delightful. Road had been closed for a few days due to avy danger so we were lucky to be heading to a different spot and basically get the equivalent of a backcountry rope drop.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Jealous of you all. We're having our first snow storm here and it's dumping . . . at the Shore. None of it is reaching our resorts.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah if I duck any rope anywhere around here it probably means I'm getting new skis!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Steve French posted:

Alpine is great, definitely worth checking out, but if you're on a shorter trip and haven't gotten tired of the Olympic Valley side terrain (or lines) you might not find it worth hopping over. It's less crowded, smaller, but still plenty of great terrain.

Yesterday there was no high terrain open, just KT-22 and eastward in the morning so I headed over to Alpine. Definitely some nice blues there and a lot chiller vibe, but the expert stuff off Roundhouse was ... way too expert for me. Only had 2 lifts turning due to winds, and then apparently nearly everything at OV got shut down due to wind so everyone came over to Alpine making the few blue runs open super crowded.

Hopefully the winds die down a bit today to open up more high mountain terrain but i'm not super hopeful

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Only one chair open yesterday, same story today.. They told all of lift ops to stay home yesterday and had supes running the show.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

Only one chair open yesterday, same story today.. They told all of lift ops to stay home yesterday and had supes running the show.

Most of Mt. Hood was closed yesterday as well, or at least closed early. Today all the Mt. Hood resorts are closed.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is pretty bonkers (and really loving needed)

https://twitter.com/ZachsORoutdoors/status/1478436257763975176

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah even getting blasted over the past two weeks, we're still in a mild drought

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Yeah even getting blasted over the past two weeks, we're still in a mild drought

I like how they still call it a drought... a 20 year drought. at some point isn't that just reality? More snow coming though so not going to complain.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally went snowboarding. Knee still not 100%, so did a handful of runs before calling it. Was a tough call as it started snowing heavily and tracks were filling in!.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So I have some new skis that came with a slide rail binding system. It is an ELS 11 Shift binding, which is some sort of mix between Elan and Tyrollia it seems. I am having a little bit of a difficult time with the size indicators. I am used to slide bindings having the sole length alternate from markings on either side of the bindings. These bindings have length indications on both sides but the seem to be two separate scales instead. One side of the binding is marked X on both the front and back and one side is marked F on front binding and B on back binding. Am I just not good at reading the size markings or are these two scales to adjust how far forward you are on the ski?

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 6, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, I figured it out, the range of the sole length just reads left hand as the lowest of the value and the right hand the highest of the value in the range. My other bindings have the markings in a different pattern and it was confusing me!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/01/06/park-city-ski-patrol/

47 bargaining sessions and vail still refuses to grant what patrol is asking for.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/01/06/park-city-ski-patrol/

47 bargaining sessions and vail still refuses to grant what patrol is asking for.

I would think with the required training, skills, danger, and host of other things it would not be unreasonable to have Ski Patrollers paid in the $25/HR range, if not higher. The $17 they are asking for seems like a great deal for Vail. But I obviously don't know the industry. Is Ski Patrol comparable to people in the Video Games industry, in that since people love to ski/play games they have a large candidate pool willing to work for very little in poor conditions for companies that think very little of them?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ski Patrol at big destination resorts ought to be like firefighters in wealthy suburbs: career-track salaried positions with full benefits including a pension.

But Vail has near-monopoly power in many markets so they're doing what capital always does.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would think with the required training, skills, danger, and host of other things it would not be unreasonable to have Ski Patrollers paid in the $25/HR range, if not higher. The $17 they are asking for seems like a great deal for Vail. But I obviously don't know the industry. Is Ski Patrol comparable to people in the Video Games industry, in that since people love to ski/play games they have a large candidate pool willing to work for very little in poor conditions for companies that think very little of them?

you can go be a dental assistant with almost no training for $20/hr. $25/hr for someone risking their life and saving others still seems hilariously underpaid.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The most hosed up part of being a patroller is you don't get health insurance (usually, I am sure some places with unions maybe get it).

You put your life on the line every day for peanuts and you have fight tooth and nail to have a chance to get paid what a mcdonalds employee does today - and you dont even get motherfucking health insurance. It's so far beyond infuriating to me, and I've never even been a patroller. These people put themselves in harm's way daily, handle explosives, hang out of helicopters, etc and you don't even give them health insurance?

And yes, people do it because it's a job that a lot of people really want to do - you do get to ski pow runs before anybody else, so there is always a group of younger athletic skiers who want the job. Certainly at the bird there is a bigass waitlist of patrollers from other ski areas around the country just jonesing for a chance to patrol at the bird.

But when you let your senior patrollers go because they can't make ends meet, you lose a ton of institutional knowledge, which in places like the wasatch is incredibly important - knowing what slopes slide, how snow collects, where to blast to set stuff off, where to ski cut, etc etc is extremely important for safe operations.

The patrollers who stick around the longest usually end up being people who made a ton of money early and then decided to leave their high powered research/lawyer/doctor job to patrol, because they can afford to not make a living wage and can pay for their own health insurance.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 6, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I had, erroneously, assumed that health insurance would have to be part of the gig because of the inherent danger. So that is really wild that it isn't.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah it's absolutely insane isn't it?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

On top of that much of the industry relies on volunteer patrollers, including places like Brighton one valley over from snowbird. Resorts out west are often a mix of pro and volunteers, and it can be competitive to be allowed in at any level. Almost every single patroller in the Midwest or at smaller hills is likely (net) paying for the privilege.

My 100% volunteer patrol gets so little support from the hill owner (a public university) that we have to run yearly fundraisers to pay for our own equipment like splints and toboggans.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My mom makes $15/hour in rural ohio as a checkout clerk at Target. She has a 3 bedroom house that was $250K. I am not actually sure how patrollers exist in the west resort towns. The whole thing is insane.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Capitalism

E for content: my partner was supposed to be a peak season ski instructor this year (had to pass in the end due to her main job) and she would have, with zero experience, been making at a minimum $6/hr more than patrol

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

there's also not a lot of gigs that'll let you river guide all summer and ski 100 days a year

just gotta be ok bunking up with 7 other dirtbags to make it work

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Don't forget that if you're on the snow safety/explosives team you have to get an ATF license which precludes one from partaking of jah's blessing. So let's review:

-make less than instructors
-no health insurance
-no job in the summer
-can't blaze one

not to mention having to deal with dipshit rope duckers and the like.

They are easily the hardest working folks on the mountain and I agree that this should be a legit career with job security and benefits, but whoops sorry I guess we'll just treat them like disposable summer camp counselors because think of the shareholders!!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Eejit posted:

Capitalism

E for content: my partner was supposed to be a peak season ski instructor this year (had to pass in the end due to her main job) and she would have, with zero experience, been making at a minimum $6/hr more than patrol
Where are they actually paying instructors well?

I can't imagine being responsible for saving lives on the hill for the scraps you get. I used to make $10 per group lesson taught (not per hour you're at the mountain). Sure you get a meal card for discounted food, and you can usually go free ride when you're not teaching, but you have to hope to get private lessons and tips to make any actual money. It's a fun life but after a few years I realized this was dumb and only retired people and kids in high school are meant for it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Varg posted:

Where are they actually paying instructors well?

I can't imagine being responsible for saving lives on the hill for the scraps you get. I used to make $10 per group lesson taught (not per hour you're at the mountain). Sure you get a meal card for discounted food, and you can usually go free ride when you're not teaching, but you have to hope to get private lessons and tips to make any actual money. It's a fun life but after a few years I realized this was dumb and only retired people and kids in high school are meant for it.

Aspen I would guess. Or Sunlight but probably Aspen.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Right now Glassdoor has Aspen ski instructors making ~$30/hour, and Aspen charges $250/person for group lessons (5 people/group). So if the lesson is 5 hours Aspen gets $1100 and a senior instructor gets $150. Private lessons are similarly ~$1000.

At Vail it's even worse, GD says average of $13/hour and the lessons cost almost as much as they do at Aspen.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Speaking of lessons, what's an appropriate tip for a private lesson in the midwest? Assuming the cost is ~$100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm absolutely certain that it's not the $2 an hour more that is causing Vail to lowball the patrollers. I'm sure they could pay that easily. I suspect it's to discourage other employees and resorts from unionizing.