Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there a Sludge, Turnip28, Blanchitsu thread or would there be any want, need or use of one?

(I keep trying to add an image but I suck at phone posting) 😕

If you’re talking about painting in that style it just belongs here not in its own thread.
If you’re talking about games like Sludge there’s a separate mini wargaming thread for smaller games like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished my first model of YOL 2022.

It's a DW Primaris Infiltrator Sergeant of the Raptors*

I'm stoked I was even able to finish it in a couple of days since we just got a new puppy and oh man, it's basically like having a child.

*Space Marine Chapter, not the basketball team.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New year, new army :whatup:

(realizing now I should probably do a wash on the base to separate the tone from the gold)

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
A Bloodspawn for my new Khorne blood bowl team (Old World Eaters). They are in the pre heresy World Eaters scheme.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

First models of 2022. I'm waiting for some leaves for the bases.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That answers my question about how many amazing models Verisimilidude can complete in the time it takes me to finish just one.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Red and Green make the first start->finish minis of the year for me - They arrived while I was away on Holiday

Solus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 4, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Solus posted:

Red and Green make the first start->finish minis of the year for me - They arrived while I was away on Holiday

These are great! I really love the muted tones you've gone with, gives it's a much more realistic touch.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

since everyone's posting their first models of the year gonna toss my legion stuff in

did some shoretroopers, color scheme from the truck drivers in mando s2 (which appears to be borrowing from the mudtroopers from solo)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Has anyone use the Luke's APS Base Ready stuff? Good results?

I'm looking at it for my StD army but I'd have to import it and not sure it's worth it, or if I'd be better to find an alternative or mix up my own instead

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Not quite up to thread standards on close inspection, but I'm proud of finishing some bones over the holiday break. First batch I've finished with a toddler in the house.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I managed to finish some Assault Terminators just barely before the new year. It took me almost two months of an hour or two of painting most days, which was way too long. I'm satisfied with the results though.

Patriarchs of Ulixis Assault Terminators

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

since everyone's posting their first models of the year gonna toss my legion stuff in

did some shoretroopers, color scheme from the truck drivers in mando s2 (which appears to be borrowing from the mudtroopers from solo)

That color scheme is dope!

Paolomania posted:

Not quite up to thread standards on close inspection, but I'm proud of finishing some bones over the holiday break. First batch I've finished with a toddler in the house.

This is also dope.

And also, there's a thing where if it looks great from 3 feet away, then to hell with close inspection.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Finished my first batch of Deathwing Termies for Space Hulk. I magnetized most of them for equipment swaps depending on what version of the game we want to play.

This is actually the second time I've done these, I finished about 15 of them and then stripped them all and started again.

What a difference a year + better tools makes.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
tiny house

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I think those horse dudes are going to steal his big copper welcome mat...

I'm always amazed at your ability to paint those tiny things so dang well.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I just started this hobby, I'm really enjoying it - it's relaxing to be able to focus on something so intently. This is one of my first guys, meet Hoof Hartley. Primed with Krylon matte white, then coated with Vallejo sky grey followed by cold white. I'm not quite done painting him, but I was struck by a question: Why does he look so bad??

These are my other dudes, Allen Molfred-Coth and Sheik. For context. I know they're not amazing or anything, but they look considerably better than poor Hoof. Do I just need more coats? Or a wash? Again, I am completely new. If anyone cares, they're going to be part of a White Scars 40k army that I'm very excited to play. I didn't know what I was getting myself into before I fell in love with the chapter lore and aesthetic.

sorry for the dirty cup

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

First off did you use spray primer? The paint looks streaky, when trying to apply light colors (especially over a lot of area) it helps to apply several thin coats, which is why if I'm doing pure white I usually just spray prime white. On top of that i wouldn't judge it too hard until you've at least got some details and washed it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

First off did you use spray primer? The paint looks streaky, when trying to apply light colors (especially over a lot of area) it helps to apply several thin coats, which is why if I'm doing pure white I usually just spray prime white. On top of that i wouldn't judge it too hard until you've at least got some details and washed it.

Yeah, it’s primed with a Krylon matte white “rattling can”. I did a pretty poor job of it but I’m still learning. I’m going to have to eventually swap to painting primer since outside of winter it’s generally 98% humidity here.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

If you need to use brush on primer get Valejo Surface Primer in white, you can brush it on right from the bottle and it will even itself out as it dries.

As for your painting, you probably want to thin your paint more and apply more coats. White is a really tough color to paint both because of the limited values to work with it also because white paints are typically thicker than other colors.
Also for the larger flat panels on space marines you should probably use a bit larger brush, bigger brushes counterintuitively leave less brush strokes.

If you want more advice for painting white look up Duncan Rhodes Void Knights video on YouTube.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm addicted to painting gold, this is so fun

edit-- love when I post a model and then realized I completely forgot to paint the gems all over the armor

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 5, 2022

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Gold is a really fun color to paint, ngl.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gold was my least favorite metal until I discovered Retributor Armor :v:

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Runelord Brass is super good too.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

If that still doesn't work, try making a little ball of green stuff, adding glue to both sides of the piece, and squishing the ball of green stuff between them. The tackiness of the green stuff should help hold the parts together but you're looking at 24 hours of drying time after that.

Just checking in to say this worked like a charm. Might even be stronger than before and barely noticeable. We're back in business baby!!!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Does anyone know how I can get .75mm twisted wire model rope, like these?

I tried to find them on the PK-PRO store but it doesn't look like they make or carry them anymore and I can't source an alternative.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Some thin wire and two pairs of pliers?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cinara posted:

Some thin wire and two pairs of pliers?

I found a Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic video on Youtube that basically shows how to do this with a drill and pliers and well...I just might.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I found some on Amazon searching for "twisted craft wire"

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Army Painter sells a premade version of that wire I'm pretty sure.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Army Painter sells the single wire with a coiled wire around it, its also called "sealing wire" in some European countries if you want to buy that in bulk.

There's also a braided wire you can buy for hanging picture frames, but it might be unsuitable for hobby use.

Cross-asking from the Historicals thread:

My buddy sent me this video and I want to replicate the bundles of straw on my 15mm DDR tanks.

My question is what's the best way to do that? I was thinking embroidery floss rolled in pva glue and ink?

What about scale elephant grass rolled in the same ink/PVA and cut to length?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Look for "Beading Wire" it's used for jewelry making.

https://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h201267bs

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AndyElusive posted:

I found a Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic video on Youtube that basically shows how to do this with a drill and pliers and well...I just might.

Speaking from personal experience, it's super easy and takes seconds to make. Plus you can make as much as you need.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

moths posted:

My question is what's the best way to do that? I was thinking embroidery floss rolled in pva glue and ink?

What about scale elephant grass rolled in the same ink/PVA and cut to length?

My gut says you need something super fine at 15mm, and both paint and glue will wick up the fibers at that scale, making it clumpy.

What about PVA and a fine sand that you pull in to short peaks with a stiff brush to imply a fuzzy surface?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Very happy with the NMM and shell on this. Still contemplating some osl, but I think I'm going to leave it as is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Does anyone know how I can get .75mm twisted wire model rope, like these?

I tried to find them on the PK-PRO store but it doesn't look like they make or carry them anymore and I can't source an alternative.

A set of guitar strings.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

A set of guitar strings.

This is what I use. Works excellently, but make sure you have eye-protection when snipping them, they go fuckin FLYING.

Gave my monitor a dead pixel :(

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

You'll also want to make sure that you don't stab yourself in the finger with the end of a guitar string because that poo poo itches like a motherfucker.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
The 2nd thickest string in a set of this set is 0.030", which 0.762mm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

A set of guitar strings.

for under $10 you'll get a pretty generous length of wires in various textures and thickness as each string is a different gague and construction, I use old guitar strings for admech bits.

Electric guitar strings are two wires, with one wrapped tightly around another as a kind of sheath, you can loosen it a bit to create all kinds of variations, as a bonus it tends to hold hard bends if you bend it with pliers.

Earthwood strings have beautiful bronze color that works with some verdigris to make rusty copper. Super slinkies have a bright silver color that takes contrast and ink really well. You can find them on Amazon or any music store. Just be sure to varnish afterwards as there's not much there for the pigment to hold onto.