Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Vic (?) also has Wanzers, which are mechs replacing the fighters and bombers.

Edit I think it's Diablo that has them, not Vic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dandywalken posted:

which mod has Rossenritters? i feel like robots. Tahlan right?

Yes. Install it and go visit some black holes, take a look around, see the sights, find some things.

Kris xK posted:

No, that's Diable Avionics.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Kris xK posted:

go full-on and also add Diable Avionics into the mix

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Absolutely install all the robot mods, yes.

I've never actually run ArmA but it looks pretty wild, and diable and tahlan both own.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Arghy posted:

Wait is there a legends of galactic heroes mod??

My problem with the paragon is fleet comp, sure it's good but honestly my carrier based fleet is usually drowning things in torpedoes while my gryphons and legions pound them with missiles. I'd rather room for another cruiser and replace the paragon with a 40dp cost ship. I put the paragon up against the radiant in a fight recently and it didn't do amazing, it held it's own but the damage it was putting out with 2 HIL's, 2 ion beams, 2 tachs was basically distracting the radiant until the bombers converged on it. I don't even carry HE weapon types anymore besides missiles because my dagger flights are just unloading torpedoes into everything so other weapons are there to keep shields down and hammer into exposed hull.

I can't sing the praises of the gryphon enough that thing is such a workhorse with a hurricane, harpoons in the smalls, and sabots in the mediums. I watched a redacted cruiser try to rush one and it took 4 sabots to the face then a full flight of harpoons for it's troubles haha.

Try fighting the paragon with an equivalent DP worth of your own fleet, you can deploy your own ships in sim battles to try fleet actions if you want. Or for a more accurate experience, deploy 200 (or whatever half your DP limit is) DP worth of your own ships VS a paragon + remaining in whatever high tech ships you want.

The paragon will swat your bombers out of the sky from across the map. It will then proceed to slowly waddle across the field and murder whatever is too slow or stupid to get out of the way while your fighters and bombers impotently explode before launching their torpedoes. Should anything actually manage to launch, it will then give a deep, throaty laugh as it turns on its fortress shields and carries on killing you.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Can I get a quick rundown on hiring officers & officer skills? From what I gather the two things I should be using story points for are officer mentoring/attitude adjustment and for building in mods for my later ships (I assume more late gameish hulls that will last are best?).

Do I just hire every officer I see when I start, and just use them as situationally best as possible? Are there particular skill sets I should t even bother hiring? It’s easy to see when one of the higher level officers (the no cap ones) has conflicting skills but I’m not sure if I should be skipping certain level 1 officers who just have like, helmsmanship or just take them all until I can get more efficient ones.

Some skills/skillsets are pretty obviously good, and many seem situationally good (thinking of phase skill); are there any that I should be avoiding in general?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

Can I get a quick rundown on hiring officers & officer skills? From what I gather the two things I should be using story points for are officer mentoring/attitude adjustment and for building in mods for my later ships (I assume more late gameish hulls that will last are best?).

Do I just hire every officer I see when I start, and just use them as situationally best as possible? Are there particular skill sets I should t even bother hiring? It’s easy to see when one of the higher level officers (the no cap ones) has conflicting skills but I’m not sure if I should be skipping certain level 1 officers who just have like, helmsmanship or just take them all until I can get more efficient ones.

Some skills/skillsets are pretty obviously good, and many seem situationally good (thinking of phase skill); are there any that I should be avoiding in general?

Story points can be used for a variety of things and you'll find plenty of lv5 officers from exploring so don't waste them on mentoring. It depends on what your goal is, if you're offered lv7 officers with multiple elite skills then yeah grab those but some times it's better to grab them brand new then choose your skills that way. The main thing to be cautious of is their attitude because anything below steady is horrible where if you have a ton of reckless officers you may lose a lotta ships haha. My current run got me now 5 lv7 officers from exploring and literally 10s of lv5 ones that i dismissed.

Look at the skills and see which combos you want so you can either build up your custom cadre or just take what RNG throws at you because all the skills are pretty good except for the specialized ones like having an energy expert on an all ballistic ship.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

How many of the high value bounties are supposed to spawn if you are running Vayra’s? I did two but after a few in-game months, a new one hasn’t appeared.

Anyone? I want to do more of these high value bounty fights but after a few in-game years still just the two have shown up. I'm of course using the quasi-official Vayra's update so I don't know if that could be messing things up.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone? I want to do more of these high value bounty fights but after a few in-game years still just the two have shown up. I'm of course using the quasi-official Vayra's update so I don't know if that could be messing things up.

They're level based in addition to progression based. They might be busted in demiVayra's but if you've just been buzzing around that whole time instead of fighting poo poo and leveling up that might be it.

Some also have more esoteric spawn requirements like faction relations but there are way more than two that don't, so that's not it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The radiant would be the ideal example of "high end remnant ship with very good shield absorbtion" that is the closest thing to a hard counter to the paragon that exists in the game.

It works on everything except radiants, because again nothing works on radiants, radiants are better than all of the other ships in the game, you beat them with a fleet, not a ship.

Deploying most other capitals + a cruiser would bring you up to paragon level cost so yes, a paragon is worth about as much as an average capital and an average cruiser.

I can just to say knock out a sim paragon 1 on 1 with an onslaught specced for it, but it burns through a lot of the hull to do it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Arghy posted:

it held it's own but the damage it was putting out with 2 HIL's, 2 ion beams, 2 tachs was basically distracting the radiant until the bombers converged on it.
That's the entire point of it. It's a massive meat shield that soaks up all the damage while bombers and offensive units kill things. It's the best in the game at that hands down.

You are making the argument that the best tank in the entire game also isn't the fastest killer in the game. Sure, I'm fine with that. It kills just fine. It's way, way worth the points for what it does. I would still field it at 75.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even know if I would say that, the paragon is very good at killing things, it just isn't able to outdo a radiant. It's very good at sniping out anything else on the field though, and it can project its firepower across such a broad area that critically, it can force anything else to take a lot of damage in order to take a shot at the paragon, which is its biggest strength I think. It is certainly very durable too in a hightech kind of way, but its real selling point is the four converging large mounts and the targeting core. Lots of ships can be made durable but nothing has the ability to dictate the engagement the way a paragon can other than a space station.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Psycho Landlord posted:

They're level based in addition to progression based. They might be busted in demiVayra's but if you've just been buzzing around that whole time instead of fighting poo poo and leveling up that might be it.

Some also have more esoteric spawn requirements like faction relations but there are way more than two that don't, so that's not it.

Huh, I've been leveling up so it doesn't seem like it should be that. I installed the mod that increases the max level, but not until I had already waited a long time in game for a third high-value bounty to spawn.

I don't suppose there's any way to either look at the requirements for them spawning or just force spawn them?

:shrug:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The legion/onslaught can be just as tanky at 20DP less--i currently have one now and i just have multiple ships just sitting in the wings waiting to be used to pursue but i likely won't be using it. I'd rather have a 3 capital core with 6 cruisers so i can utilize all my officers rather than sticking them in a frigate/light destroyer when there's capital grade weaponry being deployed. My personal play style is engaging in usually crazy fights where i'm out numbered and combat endurance plays a big part so all my ships need to pull greater than their weight. I engaged 4 pirate armadas at a fringe point to quickly farm some system bounty on a trade run and i only lost 1 apogee while my legions burned into the center blazing away while my paragon struggled to keep up all the while getting its kills stolen by the daggers haha.

I'm gonna try replacing it with an odyssey to see if that works but it's loving 45DP so theres a good chance it won't synergize either haha. The good news is i got an omen BP so i'm gonna build 4 of them to use during smaller fights.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

No they cant be as tanky. Legion especially lol

Youre way undervaluing Fortress Shield

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 4, 2022

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Arghy posted:

The legion/onslaught can be just as tanky at 20DP less

So what happens when you One on One a properly outfitted Legion/onslaught versus a Paragon? After all, you're saying the paragon should be 20 points cheaper, equal to the Legion/Onslaught so one on one they should come out about even, right? Post a video for us of the AI controlling both ships 1 on 1.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Y'all gettin got

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have yet to see a valid rebuttal for the Twenty Shepherds approach

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

20 Kites with Reapers

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

"Arghy!!!!

Welcome home...!

You have been gone for....

Far far too long!"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

I'm sure someone's done that in a tournament.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ill give it a run but I am guess they are going to be too weak health wise and are gonna pop the moment a fast cruiser or stand off cruiser gets in range. Especially if either has decent flak

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What would be the best Astral loadout for remnant hunting, with expected Radiants? Just go hard on Longbows, or use my own Remnant fighters to keep em flustered? Currently doing 4 Dagger 2 Longbows which kinda falls off vs battleships, much less the Radiant.

I know I wont be able to 1v1 it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
A legion should be able to handle it no problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I'm sure someone's done that in a tournament.

I still fondly remember the "crack shipping" fleet that was entirely made of mod combat freighters and absolutely wiped the floor with most of the tourney lmao.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I still fondly remember the "crack shipping" fleet that was entirely made of mod combat freighters and absolutely wiped the floor with most of the tourney lmao.

which fleet was the one with the shieldless Paragon

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

What would be the best Astral loadout for remnant hunting, with expected Radiants? Just go hard on Longbows, or use my own Remnant fighters to keep em flustered? Currently doing 4 Dagger 2 Longbows which kinda falls off vs battleships, much less the Radiant.

I use 3 capitals with 5-6 cruisers, fighters are really good for whittling down the radiants support until it's the last ship left then you swarm it. I use 2 bombers on each carrier with drone fighters to absorb the PD to ensure i don't take too much crew loss. Soon as i see the radiant i hit avoid and manually target my capitals to engage it then once the capitals got it's attention i turn avoid off. I've reliably fought 2 radiants at once and won with minimal losses though i had armor damage on my capitals. I don't like longbows for anything bigger than a destroyer because unlimited torpedoes does a lot better. I'm currently torn between perditions and daggers for cost vs effectiveness because those red torpedoes pack a loving wallop where it usually takes a few yellow torps to do the job. Tridents are fun but that's a lotta OP for the same torpedo barrage as the daggers but they can fire them faster since it's only 2 fighters getting rearmed than 4.

I might check some mods for some more ship options as i really love the idea of the bomblets of the piranha but they are so slow they usually never make it haha. The rocket bombers are fun too just for overloading the enemies PD but unless it's a big ship they rarely do good damage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

An astral should always run bombers IMO because the recall device makes them much more effective, I would probably suggest also that you want to go hard on quality so maybe swap the daggers for tridents and try to make up the OP cost somewhere else, you're really just using the astral as a bomb making GBS threads platform so I'm sure you can find some other things to drop from it.

That said, I don't actually think that bombers are super helpful against remnants? You really want, IMO, sustained and heavy kinetics, which bombers aren't very good at providing. So i would generally bring a low-mid tech fleet and go hard on long range kinetics. Get enough of them and the remnants will spend a lot of time backing off, and you can scatter in a couple of light HE slingers to whittle them down if they drop shields, if the kinetics themselves don't do it. Devastator flak is also good for wiping out their swarms of drones.

I find personally that cutting out the smaller craft is very helpful for dealing with a big remnant fleet, you need to be able to hold off the radiant but the real killer I think is when they start to surround you with those annoying frigates and destroyers, because a lot of them pack torpedoes and are really good at disabling you and leaving you prey to the bigger buggers. So I would try to strip them out and then focus fire on the big ones when you can, probably gonna be leaving the radiant til last if I'm honest, as they're very hard to pin down when they have support because they are very mobile and have such big flux reserves that you can't really surprise them fast enough to stop them withdrawing.

I think that vs remnants your own fighters should be tasked to intercepting enemy fighters and picking off their frigates, so I guess if you have to bring it, you might consider putting fighters on the astral for that reason, but my real suggestion would be just don't bring an astral, I think a fighter carrier or more cruisers/battleships would probably be more useful against remnants.

Arghy posted:

Tridents are fun but that's a lotta OP for the same torpedo barrage as the daggers but they can fire them faster since it's only 2 fighters getting rearmed than 4.

Daggers come in wings of 3, not 4, the reason tridents cost more is because you are getting 4 torpedoes in a salvo rather than 3, they are not generally worth it, because most ships will struggle to mount them and the slower speed makes them take even longer to reload, but the astral is the big exception because the recall device is a massive force multiplier for bombers and you want as much firepower concentrated on that ship as possible, it also specifically mitigates the speed problem and the astral has buckets of OP to throw around.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 4, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Arghy posted:

I'm hesitant about a lot of the mods because they don't look balanced well at all. Almost every ship is better than vanilla and the last thing i want is to invalidate all of the vanilla ships. I love the concept of exploration ships though and the game really needs more jack of all trades ships tossed in esp for the logistics side. A capital class do everything ship geared towards burn rate and fuel consumption just makes a ton of sense--you wouldn't take a heavy commercial freighter into the unknown. I'd love the ability to create some remote mining stations too so you could toss some in remote empty systems to act as fuel dumps.

Ngl, none of the major popular mods add ships that are more op than the doom, Hyperion, paragon etc

I would even go so far as to say they’re generally under powered. Some are individually strong but have ridiculous dp costs to match, and even then fall short and f the strongest vanilla ships. They’re just cool.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
What are people's favorite faction mods right now anyways?

Personally I'm using;

ArmAA
Diable Avionics
Legacy of Arkgnesis
HMI
HMI Supervillains (almost exclusively so I can have officers with their rad portraits)
Asteroid Ship Pack
Kadur Remnant
Shadowyards
Ship and Weapon Pack
Tahlan Shipwork
Ironshell

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

https://youtu.be/9fRQzyMvl7k

The big killer robot from diable is great fun. Very much high risk high reward.

If you ain't using Apex Design Colective you ain't no friend of mine.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 4, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

OwlFancier posted:

The radiant would be the ideal example of "high end remnant ship with very good shield absorbtion" that is the closest thing to a hard counter to the paragon that exists in the game.

It works on everything except radiants, because again nothing works on radiants, radiants are better than all of the other ships in the game, you beat them with a fleet, not a ship.

Deploying most other capitals + a cruiser would bring you up to paragon level cost so yes, a paragon is worth about as much as an average capital and an average cruiser.

I can just to say knock out a sim paragon 1 on 1 with an onslaught specced for it, but it burns through a lot of the hull to do it.

You beat a radiant with a properly (player) wielded onslaught, get in, brawl with the radiant until it tries to do the normal radiant ai trick of triple phase hop away to drop flux, and you burn drive as it does the first jump so it can't get away, while its hopping it also loses its shields so you can get some hits in

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Diable and Vic are mandatory bad guys for me, with the newest addition of Iron Shell.

Roider Union because they're my buddies and I need someone to big brother for.

DME for fighters fighters fighters and their subfaction Blade Breakers for using said fighters to blow up other fighters.

Kudar because I enjoy their story

Legacy of Ark - the Reperations Society is a fantastic, unique addition to the game that I feel really adds an element of just pure chaos.

Finally, while not a faction Ed Shipyard is my latest favorite with their Phase Field and multimod ships.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

real mad that roider union isn't a mod that adds really huge dudes who hop out and punch the other ships

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

real mad that roider union isn't a mod that adds really huge dudes who hop out and punch the other ships

:hmmyes: socialist bodybuilders

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

ship punching is for dinosaurs, cavemen, and cavemen piloting dinosaurs

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16902.0

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
My keep-busy modset is adding in Mayasura, Roiders, Legio, Diable, then trying to keep the first two safe from the last two and everyone else.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I’ve really been enjoying my first trip through with Apex, the Eidolon is a great player ship if you’re into battle cruisers with movement abilities, and the missile cruiser whose name I’m blanking on just absolutely shits torrents of death everywhere. A++ would recommend.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Found a 3rd legion with 2 built in mods, get outta here paragon! It's carrier time! Also found the paragon and onslaught BP's so now my home fleets are filled with capital ships haha, 1 more colony to setup with a military HQ then cores are coming out! Get hosed hegemony try and defeat 4 military HQ's with 2 of them being 260% fleet size with a story point invested in each one so they're popping out 2 patrols each. I found 2 coronal shunts finally but they're 5ly apart and loving 21 and 14 LY away from my system! Made the mistake of investigating one without saving haha oh boy never seen a capital melt that fast. I also made a few tempests just to see how viable they were and holy gently caress they weren't kidding when they said they were the best frigate.

Fighter chat, i'm leaning into 2 bombers, 1 dagger, 1 perdition, 1 thunder, 1 spark/lux. I love the thunder being able to engage at 6k and flying super loving fast while the spark/lux can be used as fodder to distract PD but i might just go all thunder seeing as my legion core could very quickly send help all over the battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

So I know the Paragon and Doom are strong ships, but gently caress me that was a fight. I have an extra 60 seconds of peak time on the paragon, and I was running down to the last 2 minutes. I had to call the Doom and Bansihde (bascially a Falcon with a phase cloak) to retreat due to damage and risking malfunctions. 10 minutes of nonstop combat in this game is actually kind of mentally taxing.