Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/BrimleyMilford/status/1478359599006855173

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol SC just dropped 35k cases over the past four days on a 48hr delay (Thursday through Sunday)

:rip: me

Also I have sinus symptoms and may just call out to get a test tomorrow. gently caress.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Currently at my physical and tried to hold the elevator for a lady who waved me off saying she had covid. Get to the receptionist and some maskless old guy is leaning over a foot from her face.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Freaquency posted:

The south and not knowing how to handle snow, name a more iconic duo:

The north and not being able to handle a heatwave.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Freaquency posted:

Meanwhile our CEO was asked about a bonus for last year and he apparently said he didn’t want to give it because then “people will just expect it every year” :fuckoff:

I sure hope the follow-up question was how big his bonus would be...

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BigPaddy posted:

I honestly don't give a lot of credence to bonuses since in my experience the requirements to get them are heavily weighted against non management and there are always excuses as to why they won't be any. When negotiating in the past I usually push to crap the bonus and make my base higher or convert the bonus to guaranteed RSUs. The latter has worked more than the former the majority of the time it is "not negotiable" which is usually when I say I am not interested. One place not long out of University had everyone agree to reduce their 10% bonus to 3% base pay raise (this was not on top of any annual raises, everyone got 3%) and a 5% bonus. As soon as this was done magically the company started meeting targets to get everyone a 2.5% bonus.

Renegotiating some contracts for 2022 and it is always fun especially after 2021 when pay and hourly rates went up very publicly and clients start with the usual "our op ex budget didn't increase this year so can you keep the same rate?". Sure I can not raise my rate for you or I can take some new business to replace your hours at a higher rate. When I call myself a Mercenary I am not being ironic.

I spoke with a couple coworkers and found out they are a tier higher than me on the engineer ladder which happens to confer twice the EIP bonus percentage. I finally sacked up and told my boss I want the title bump and the associated raise. To get this apparently I need to meet with HR and prepare a career prospectus of how I see my development path or some poo poo.

Dude, I just want to keep as much WFH as possible and keep doing what I am doing as well as I am doing it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

swickles posted:

Joke's on you, Minnesota gets such bad weather in both seasons most places have heat and AC.

Also I am squarely on the side of the southerners every time this comes up, because why the hell would you have our multi-million dollar snow removal infrastructure for the one storm that hits every year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

swickles posted:

I dunno I'm trying to imagine living somewhere with no AC like Seattle and having a sudden 110 degree heatwave hit like a few months ago

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

I dunno I'm trying to imagine living somewhere with no AC like Seattle and having a sudden 110 degree heatwave hit like a few months ago

It was awful. Being downstairs in a house was uncomfortable but you could deal, but if you went upstairs where most bedrooms are even at night it was miserable.

We got those single room ac's with the tube that sits in a window because those heat waves are becoming more common every year :smith:

Also had five inches of snow in a single day again which previously was a once a twenty year thing but has happened like 3 out of 5 years here now!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Playing Hades and Flurry Shot with the bow is ridiculous

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Its Rinaldo posted:

We got those single room ac's with the tube that sits in a window because those heat waves are becoming more common every year :smith:

In the south we talk a big game about the heat but that's because we have our central air. My outside unit died in July this year and I couldn't handle it, had to go stay somewhere for the night

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

Most of my family and friends have installed mini splits in their old houses if they didn't have central air already.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Joke's on you, Minnesota gets such bad weather in both seasons most places have heat and AC.

Also I am squarely on the side of the southerners every time this comes up, because why the hell would you have our multi-million dollar snow removal infrastructure for the one storm that hits every year.

Most of the time it melts enough in one day to at least clear the main roads. Texas last year was an anomaly because it stayed freezing for several days and nothing was able to thaw out.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

swickles posted:

Jokes on you, Chicago gets so hot in the summer and so cold in the summer, we're pretty much prepared for anything temperature wise.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Did Elizabeth Holmes put on the fake deep voice during the Theranos trial, or is she done with that now?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/timkaine/status/1478462778834833408?t=Jsv9GX60QbjAoZLGInpYJg&s=19

Bet it feels almost as long as that night at the Javits Center

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Yeah I laugh but it’s not unreasonable to not have that sort of investment for a rare event, but i don’t understand why every time it happens the same lesson has to be learned. Just cut your losses, shut things down, and let your people stay home.

I’m also from NC and dealt with that same scenario many times so it’s not coming from a place of “lol South dumb”

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I sure hope the follow-up question was how big his bonus would be...

I wish I were privy to more info, but alas. To be a fly on the wall of that meeting…

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Same thing happens in Britain every time it snows. “Why don’t we have snow plows!?!?”. Because this amount of snow that is plowable happens once in 30 years and if you buy equipment and don’t use it for decades you will complain it is a waste of money and it won’t even be in a fit state to be used as it will have sat unused for decades.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

We ordered rapid tests a week ago and they still haven’t shipped. Still waiting on the order cancellation to roll in since they can officially gouge now.

My options are to wait several hours in a line in my car in the morning for a PCR or wait several hours at an urgent care.

Wasn’t Biden going to distribute 500M tests? Lol.

We are a failed state.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dango Bango posted:

True, but that altruistic appeal is also exploited as gently caress by administrations to depress salaries all around.

Yeah, when they were first talking about a $15 minimum wage in Seattle you'd hear a lot of poo poo like "EMTs are paid $17, should they be paid barely more than burger flippers?" Obviously the answer is no, but the solution to that isn't to pay burger flippers less money.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

We ordered rapid tests a week ago and they still haven’t shipped. Still waiting on the order cancellation to roll in since they can officially gouge now.

My options are to wait several hours in a line in my car in the morning for a PCR or wait several hours at an urgent care.

We are a failed state.

I ordered some off Walmart.com last week and they got here in like 3 days

e: specifically these https://www.walmart.com/ip/On-Go-COVID-19-Antigen-Self-Test-Tech-Enabled-At-Home-Covid-Test-OTC-Results-in-10-Minutes-2-Test-Kit/373165472

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Yeah I laugh but it’s not unreasonable to not have that sort of investment for a rare event, but i don’t understand why every time it happens the same lesson has to be learned. Just cut your losses, shut things down, and let your people stay home.

I’m also from NC and dealt with that same scenario many times so it’s not coming from a place of “lol South dumb”

I wish I were privy to more info, but alas. To be a fly on the wall of that meeting…

Oh absolutely they should shut things down when there's a reasonable expectation of snow. Now I'm curious who would be more performatively upset about shutting things down then getting missed by a storm. Preventative school closings are already catnip for Minnesota boomers who love to complain, but when we end up getting like 2 inches of snow because the storm jukes us, they get a rush that can only be compared to our sun hitting Clark Kent.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, when they were first talking about a $15 minimum wage in Seattle you'd hear a lot of poo poo like "EMTs are paid $17, should they be paid barely more than burger flippers?" Obviously the answer is no, but the solution to that isn't to pay burger flippers less money.

Right just pay everyone more. That’s what they don’t get.

Noice thanks homie :respek:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ugh Covid is up to thousands of cases a day here now - the govts decided to let it rip for - reasons now that everyone is 80% vaxed. The problem is my brothers fiance is pregnant, my parents have health issues and I get sinus problems / flare ups for no discernible reason. The tests that are supposed to be readily available are so low in stock everywhere they're being price gouged - like 60 dollars for a pack of 5. So Much so that some pharmacies are breaking down packs into singles and selling them for as much as 15 dollars a pop.

I got some intel from a buddy of mine who works in supply chain stuff and he was telling me a lot of big companies assumed the govt was going to give them out for free or demand they were sold at a capped price - like all the other testing has been and cancelled large orders and only ordered small batches as there wasn't great profit in it. The govt has for whatever reason decided there would be no "interference" with pricing at the 11th hour - so basically you have people popping positive at a 20% test rate in the govt testing facilities. No tests available for purchase and the ones you can get are almost unaffordable because companies are jacking up the price.

I've also got a few emails from jobs I've applied for stating they're suspending their hiring process "for the time being" given the evolving situation with Covid 19 or are conducting all future interviews via phone or online.

This is kind of giving me the anxieties the last couple of days. I want to find a new job but this is making it much harder and I can't risk getting someone in my family sick and can't afford to burn cash on surety that I'm fine and able to visit when I want to.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LeeMajors posted:

We are a failed state.
You can wait and get tested? Nice. In my area it's appointment only first chance is Thursday or Friday.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CannonFodder posted:

You can wait and get tested? Nice. In my area it's appointment only first chance is Thursday or Friday.

I mean, you could last week….

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Skwirl posted:

It is truly incredible how thick people are that they can't even answer their own question with the logical answer of "oh, duh, EMTs should be paid more too" rather than think they got a sick dunk in.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

Ugh Covid is up to thousands of cases a day here now - the govts decided to let it rip for - reasons now that everyone is 80% vaxed. The problem is my brothers fiance is pregnant, my parents have health issues and I get sinus problems / flare ups for no discernible reason. The tests that are supposed to be readily available are so low in stock everywhere they're being price gouged - like 60 dollars for a pack of 5. So Much so that some pharmacies are breaking down packs into singles and selling them for as much as 15 dollars a pop.

I got some intel from a buddy of mine who works in supply chain stuff and he was telling me a lot of big companies assumed the govt was going to give them out for free or demand they were sold at a capped price - like all the other testing has been and cancelled large orders and only ordered small batches as there wasn't great profit in it. The govt has for whatever reason decided there would be no "interference" with pricing at the 11th hour - so basically you have people popping positive at a 20% test rate in the govt testing facilities. No tests available for purchase and the ones you can get are almost unaffordable because companies are jacking up the price.

I've also got a few emails from jobs I've applied for stating they're suspending their hiring process "for the time being" given the evolving situation with Covid 19 or are conducting all future interviews via phone or online.

This is kind of giving me the anxieties the last couple of days. I want to find a new job but this is making it much harder and I can't risk getting someone in my family sick and can't afford to burn cash on surety that I'm fine and able to visit when I want to.

Regardless of job prospects and resources, being unemployed absolutely sucks and I hate it, you’ve got my sympathies. It’s not just that we’ve come to define our role in society and wellbeing by the work that we do, or even the uncertainty of the future and financial stability, but just personally speaking not having that purpose, that THING to do is super destructive to me, and when there’s a pandemic it’s pretty difficult to find another thing to involve yourself in.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

15 bucks/test for the rapid tests in the US has been close to the norm all along, sadly. I paid 150 bucks for 7 boxes of two each to take with us for Christmas.

I still get unreasonably angry thinking about Psaki’s churlish “what do you want us to do, send a test to every American?” response. Y… yes?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Our school district was giving away a box of 2 tests per kid for free to test before returning to school. I assuming there is a giant manufacturing crunch to make enough tests, but no real idea if that is an actual holdup.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suspect the people who work in test-manufacturing facilities are all getting covid and missing work just like everyone else, yeah. Also the people in shipping & logistics, not to mention retail workers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Regardless of job prospects and resources, being unemployed absolutely sucks and I hate it, you’ve got my sympathies. It’s not just that we’ve come to define our role in society and wellbeing by the work that we do, or even the uncertainty of the future and financial stability, but just personally speaking not having that purpose, that THING to do is super destructive to me, and when there’s a pandemic it’s pretty difficult to find another thing to involve yourself in.

Thanks mate, yeah that listlessness is starting to hit me pretty badly. Trying to schedule my day and stick to it, this is my breakfast and forums time, when it ends its work out and exercise time then job hunting time etc. It was fine during the holidays because there was always someone to visit or talk to or look forward to but now everyone's getting back to work I'm kind of finding myself looking at the clock like... ok it's 10am and my house is pristine and I have applied for 10 jobs. wtf do I do now. I've had a super rigid structure to my weeks for years now from 5am wake up to home at 5pm and now that's not there it feels really odd.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Did Elizabeth Holmes put on the fake deep voice during the Theranos trial, or is she done with that now?

Apparently she did, at least for the most part. It's a shame she didn't get convicted of more charges, but at least she got hit with the hefty ones. Though really she should receive negative prison time (prison credit) for defrauding the DeVos family in particular

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I suspect the people who work in test-manufacturing facilities are all getting covid and missing work just like everyone else, yeah. Also the people in shipping & logistics, not to mention retail workers.

Also in the early summer, one of the larger manufacturers discontinued making of, laid off thousands and destroyed their massive stock of tests:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/us/abbott-covid-tests.html

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
So Tim Kaine was within 6 feet of a bottle of his own piss, is that what was happening

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pathetic display from a US senator, about what I'd expect from a losing ticket's VP. can you imagine Trump sitting in traffic for 27 hours without getting the gently caress out of there and then blasting the DOT and government from afar? this is why dems lose, they have no idea how to exercise power

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

pmchem posted:

pathetic display from a US senator, about what I'd expect from a losing ticket's VP. can you imagine Trump sitting in traffic for 27 hours without getting the gently caress out of there and then blasting the DOT and government from afar? this is why dems lose, they have no idea how to exercise power

Is this referring to a different Trump than the real one? Cause the real one is a huge crybaby bitch. I would assume he would've cried like he did all the time.

like get out how? WALK? Have you loving seen the guy

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guze posted:

Is this referring to a different Trump than the real one? Cause the real one is a huge crybaby bitch. I would assume he would've cried like he did all the time.

like get out how? WALK? Have you loving seen the guy

Helicopter

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

literally call the governor and rescue him with emergency vehicles, a helicopter, etc.
call any of the dozens of fabulously wealthy lobbyists and see who can come get you in a snowmobile or something
exercise undue power, subvert the proper channels, be a boss

This is what normal people imagine all people in power do constantly: but it's really only what people like Trump do constantly, and their peers all go "wait I could actually get away with that poo poo? no way" and then are too chicken-poo poo to do. They're not morally opposed, mind you, just too small-minded or fearful. "Congressman receives free bail-out from Corn Lobby on snow day" would make these people (by which I mean, some democratic congressperson) resign in shame, while Trump would just smugly grin and be like "gently caress you I do what I want" and then somehow not magically lose power due to the outraged constituents.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

The extra unopened package of rolls we got for tenderloin sammiches on Saturday is somehow already moldy so I’m making mashed potato and beef tendy nachos for dinner because I also have a half bag of tortilla chips leftover with nothing to dip them in lol