Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcQVq3urTfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I was playing with the VR headset yesterday and found a no frills video player that just threw a big rear end screen in front of me in pitch black that could be tilted up and down.

I threw on Eva 2.2222 for fun and ended up watching the whole drat movie because it was the closest thing to being in a theatre I've had in a while.

Highly recommended.

It's pretty dang cool and hell, since Amazon put out the final Rebuild instead of Funimation the chance of a theatrical run out here went up in smoke so watching it that way was the next best thing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat the ova looks loving sick

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GorfZaplen posted:

I liked the defunctland about the hideously unsafe water park that decapitated test dummies and served beer to minors and every ride and water slide gave people bloody noses and concussions and everyone who went there regards it as a rite of passage and foundational to their development as a human being
action park! My parents remember that place, it was a hellscape

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

quick physical comedy/sight gags? nichijou maybe

Well I guess if you put it that why it is a simple request but it sure subverted my expectations.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

GorfZaplen posted:

I liked the defunctland about the hideously unsafe water park that decapitated test dummies and served beer to minors and every ride and water slide gave people bloody noses and concussions and everyone who went there regards it as a rite of passage and foundational to their development as a human being

Action Park has a special place in the mythos in New Jersey where even if you haven't heard of it, you've heard the stories and those stories have been shifted onto your local, dangerous carny shitheap with a boardwalk, rickety coaster, and a lazy river. I grew up and continue to live on the shore and there's plenty of towns that still have these little places clinging on for dear life, including one in walking distance from my hometown. I grew up just after Action Park shut down, but all the stories just sorta...shifted onto our local deathtrap, warranted or not. I mean it wasn't unjustified; kids died semi-regularly in the waterpark by the boardwalk.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

FilthyImp posted:

I was playing with the VR headset yesterday and found a no frills video player that just threw a big rear end screen in front of me in pitch black that could be tilted up and down.

I threw on Eva 2.2222 for fun and ended up watching the whole drat movie because it was the closest thing to being in a theatre I've had in a while.

Highly recommended.

There's VR video players that'll put you in a VR movie theater too

honestly i like it better that way, something about floating in a featureless virtual void gives me motion sickness real quick

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vizuyos posted:

There's VR video players that'll put you in a VR movie theater too

honestly i like it better that way, something about floating in a featureless virtual void gives me motion sickness real quick

Yea. I use Skybox and it does a fine job for that. I like that you can even adjust the theater lighting in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a good article or video out there that goes into the reasons why many Shonen shows and villain hierarchies in general have a fixation on rankings, classes and statistics to rate the power of antagonists?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a good article or video out there that goes into the reasons why many Shonen shows and villain hierarchies in general have a fixation on rankings, classes and statistics to rate the power of antagonists?

Real life and japanese society has a focus on hierarchy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

because japanese society was extremely hierarchy based for most of its history, up to the point of it still affecting modern power structures. a lot of japanese companies still have extremely hyper specific positions that denote exactly where in the company you are. this isnt exclusive to japan of course but japan is a step beyond what you'd think. due to this history a lot of historical fiction, classic movies, etc also have this. if youve ever played the yakuza games and seen the game throw up 'kishido yoshida, second-in-command of the kishido family, a branch family of the nagasaki family' or w/e, that isnt a shonen power levels thing, thats based in old yakuza movies which'd also throw up title cards like that to denote how important a character is to the scheming going on. this found its way to manga. its an extremely useful tool for denoting exactly how strong each person is in relation to each other so it gets used.

for instance there's a pseudo-mythological thief called ishikawa goemon. you may be familiar with the goemon in lupin or the goemon n64 games. hes basically japanese robin hood. anyway, there's an old comedy kabuki play where the joke is just each member of goemon's gang showing up and listing their increasingly specific role in the organization, like vice-commander of scaling castle walls, or senior lieutenant of the 3rd explosives division or whatever. and then goemon shows up and just goes 'and im the boss!' the punchline is that the longer your title is, the less important you actually are to the group. this is from like the 1800s.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
how do you think you're characterizing 150 of the bad guy's goons with 3 pages

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in general for stories with a lot of action or moving pieces, it's extremely useful to be able to tell the audience exactly how important a person is to the plot so the audience knows how much they should care about remembering them. there's more subtle ways of doing this, like camera work if its a visual medium, but shonen has a lot of basis in classical japanese theater. a play doesnt exactly have a camera, for all you know the audience can focus on some completely irrelevant henchman because he has a weird haircut, so having each character declare their exact importance to whatever organization they're a part of is a useful shorthand.

and a lot of *that* is derived from classical chinese literature, which loved having ten billion charaters who showed up for one or two scenes each. look at water margin or romance of the three kingdoms, which are really the archetypal examples of the trope. water margin especially is a story where they are 108 characters in the hero group and each of them has some hyper-specific role, and it's mostly just a series of backstories for each of them and then they all do one or two things ever again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

because japanese society was extremely hierarchy based for most of its history, up to the point of it still affecting modern power structures. a lot of japanese companies still have extremely hyper specific positions that denote exactly where in the company you are.

-Lots of other stuff.-

And naturally that translates extremely well into video games thanks to their focus on statistics and number denotation, I take it. Remove class hierarchy entirely and render it down to "bigger number better" for isekai or video game anime.

Weird how something that is neat to learn about can end up being so boring and clinical in certain hands. Same can be said for most things, though. You can only notice the same thing so many times before a pattern emerges and some do it better than others.

You bring up the derivation from Chinese literature with a billion characters and for my own frame of reference I think of the parade of named characters in the Iliad myths who show up for two seconds, have their backstory announced, and then they get gutted by Agamemnon or Diomedes in half a sentence.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 4, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
it has always been the era of subordinates

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone should read water margin, its the best shonen manga ever written.

quote:

"Listen, when it comes to romancing a woman, there are four absolute strategies. You must be wealthy, but not ostentatious. You must be forceful, but not demanding. You must be kind, but not softhearted. And you must be hung like a horse."
"Well, I've been poor since birth, I can't raise my head to look her in the eyes, and I've never said a kind word to my own mother. But my penis is nine inches."

quote:

"Among all the thirty six stratagems, only one guarantees absolute survival: running away. Farewell!"

quote:

The two guards, Li and Huang, were paid handsomely for their services. They are no longer relevant to the story; let us never speak of them again.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I mean its not just japanese society that uses hierarchy, if you have a job you probably have a boss.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i think one of the worst uses of subordinate hierarchy was Kimetsu no Yaiba's "upper and lower moon" horse poo poo, which was almost immediately dispensed with in the manga itself as the lower moons just got destroyed without doing poo poo by the big bad. The upper moons ended up just all kind of fighting together in the same general field of battle, making the whole exercise pointless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

I mean its not just japanese society that uses hierarchy, if you have a job you probably have a boss.
It's not exclusive to Japanese society but Japan is big on hyper-specific titles and very rigid power structures. In the West there's more of a fuzzy gray area between the top and the bottom in a lot of companies, like there's tiers but the power structure within those tiers is more vague. Japanese companies tend to let you know exactly where you are in an organization on an individual level, even if it's just a senpai/kouhai thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Namtab posted:

It's more in the way language is used in Shonen that makes the hierarchies stand out. There's always some mathematical equation or stat card or classification system exclusive to each show to use as a reference point for a given character's importance.

I actually like that the ultimate example of the power level creep, Dragon Ball, sort of walked back the number rankings and just said "gently caress it" as the show went on because there's always some new level to attain.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's just a convenient short hand to explain how tough a character is without really needing to show much of them, which can be useful with as large a cast as shonen often deal with. So when like the Rival fights a lieutenant in the new villain group you know it should be an even fight even if this new character hasn't been around as much because he is a big deal in this organisation.

Shonen has kinda moved away from a universal power level thing like Dragonball had (and kinda started ignoring anyway) but it's still often a decent idea to be able to easily explain how strong some antagonists are at least in relation to each other.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

One thing that really holds me back in the common "I want to live in Japan!" weeb fantasy is that I'm really not very keen on rules for the sake of rules and absolute, unquestionable authority. I imagine I'd legitimately have a very hard time integrating because of it. Even just studying the language annoys me sometimes with the whole "this person is above you, you must use an extra-formal form when addressing them and they can use a casual/rough form when addressing you" thing.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

marumaru posted:

One thing that really holds me back in the common "I want to live in Japan!" weeb fantasy is that I'm really not very keen on rules for the sake of rules and absolute, unquestionable authority. I imagine I'd legitimately have a very hard time integrating because of it. Even just studying the language annoys me sometimes with the whole "this person is above you, you must use an extra-formal form when addressing them and they can use a casual/rough form when addressing you" thing.

Have you never written a professional email

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The hardest part of grad school was getting used to calling professors by their first names 😔

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a simple storytelling tool that can be used to easily set viewer expectations and create obvious goals for the protagonist.

Sometimes it can be a social commentary thing (there are SO MANY animes where a school lumps all the misfits into a single class that's treated way worse, for example), but most of the time it's just a zero-effort way of establishing fight odds in advance.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

marumaru posted:

you also have to kiss your boss's rear end the same way in The Occident. The only real difference is that we don't use specific grammatical structures for indicating language formality

if you throw in with the right crowd of showa era delinquents you don't need to worry about formal language at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

everyone should read water margin, its the best shonen manga ever written.

I've been thinking about becoming A Guy Who's Read All Four Great Chinese Novels. I did Journey a few years ago, so I'm a quarter there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I've been thinking about becoming A Guy Who's Read All Four Great Chinese Novels. I did Journey a few years ago, so I'm a quarter there.
im one of those guys, it owns. though i will say while romance is a fun read a lot of what happens in it is actually less interesting than the real history.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Have you never written a professional email

Casey Finnigan posted:

you also have to kiss your boss's rear end the same way in The Occident. The only real difference is that we don't use specific grammatical structures for indicating language formality

if you throw in with the right crowd of showa era delinquents you don't need to worry about formal language at all

i usually carefully try to get people accustomed to the way i feel most comfortable acting over time. i'm not gonna drop epic gamer words in a professional environment or anything, but i also don't want to walk on eggshells 24/7.
and no i honestly have never kissed my boss' rear end. maybe i'm just lucky lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Waffleman_ posted:

Doesn't count if you don't read them in the original Chinese. Just like how Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales don't count unless you read them in the original Old and Middle English. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AlternateNu posted:

Doesn't count if you don't read them in the original Chinese. Just like how Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales don't count unless you read them in the original Old and Middle English. :colbert:

As well you should because Canterbury Tales is a fun read in Middle English.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Canterbury Tales rules because you assume it's gonna be all serious like all the other old books you read in school, but it's just like a collection of old time sitcom plots.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

didn't we have this convo in the season thread

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Aurora posted:

didn't we have this convo in the season thread

It didn't have a Canterbury Tales discussion.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

another reason lots of shonens have power rankings is that once you get to the level where everybody is superhuman it can be difficult to easily tell who's stronger than who. in a realistic setting you can judge people based on height, muscle mass, stance, etc. but when everyone is buff and can punch through brick walls, or has strength disconnected from their appearance (which is most shonen, especially since it allows for more varied character design) you need a way to convey relative strength. in a one-on-one this can be done more subtly, like through inner thoughts or actions that indicate each person's fighting experience, or just dialogue going "oh no! this guy's bad news!" but stuff like power levels or stand charts are an easier shorthand for the author.

basically rankings are helpful so there's never a fight where the reader goes "why doesn't goku, the largest saiyan, simply eat the others"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Goku ate the others he'd be much healthier. Gotta eat those vegetables, nappa cabbages and cauliflowers

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I suspect the Power Levels and Hierarchy thing is mostly because these are stories written for schoolkids who the course of their future life is decided by how they place in the rankings for Entrance Exams. Power Levels are real over there if you're a student

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the evil pirate groups of One Piece and their Yakuza hierarchies are meant for kids to relate their entrance exams to.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat bro, if I gently caress up my Maths test I will never be able to become a Tobi Roppo! At best I could only become a Number. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean in Dragon Ball itself power levels are revealed to be Pretty Much Bullshit right after they're introduced