Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

yall we've been posting in this thread for too many decades together, you surely must know by now i have an iq hovering around 85

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

With that IQ Power Level you could easily outbox Ippo

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

e:nm

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I thought that having an iq of only 85 was a requirement to read this manga.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Would this manga have been better or worse if Sendo died in the first fight? The ending of it is basically a big AnJ reference anyway

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Flesnolk posted:

Would this manga have been better or worse if Sendo died in the first fight? The ending of it is basically a big AnJ reference anyway

Worse cause Sendo is awesome.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

way worse. the character of ippo would never continue boxing after killing someone in the ring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sendo killing ippo and becoming the main character though

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The infamous line conversation was a rehash of a conversation with his editor about taking Ippo into a monthly seinen mag and really coming to terms with how much being a professional pugilist fucks with a person.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Adnor posted:

I thought that having an iq of only 85 was a requirement to read this manga.
An IQ level of at least 180 was required to understand the physics behind Woli's seemingly fourth-dimensional dodges and antigravitational skills, and an anatomy PhD to understand the exact muscular forces behind Ippo's one-inch taps leaving fist imprint marks on Woli through 2cm of boxing glove padding.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

way worse. the character of ippo would never continue boxing after killing someone in the ring.

Ippo's taps against Woli actually occurred at such a frequency that they emitted radiation which gave Woli liver cancer

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I also like how much of a time capsule early Ippo is, it's 90s as hell. Feels a little weird how much revolves around stuff like VHS tapes and film photography, so many years on.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1365

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
That was a pretty decent chapter, imo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Chapter 1366

I'm betting on him baiting the shot to the head here, leaning way back into the ropes to create distance to dodge, and set the kind of range Mashiba's arms needs to hit Garcia.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked Mashiba trying to tell himself to cheat.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 5, 2022

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think he should cheat and win and not get in trouble, that is the thing that I would like to happen

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Those last 3 panels are amazing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Morikawa does great expressions

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think fights in this manga are often a bit too one sided, there's hardly ever any back-and-forth like in a real boxing match lately. Like it just outright breaks willing suspension of disbelief that four rounds have gone by and Mashiba hasn't landed even one punch, that just doesn't happen.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Never heard of Willie Pep, or... Adrien Broner?! :cheeky:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
IIRC the Willie Pep story is apocryphal, and one round is a much smaller slice of a fight than four

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1367
And so, the Mashiba's heart grew three sizes that day.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
alright, did not expect him going Mayweather, but sure.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm liking this fight

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1368

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gently caress yeah

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
This fight rules.

That uppercut was dumb in the best way.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ippo, still a surprisingly good second/coach.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Mashiba owns and in another 30 years when he's finally Ippo's BIL I can't wait for the comedy panel that'll generate.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Mashiba has always had good fights, hell, the only good best Miyata fight was against Mashiba!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

Mashiba has always had good fights, hell, the only good best Miyata fight was against Mashiba!

Also Kimura.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That punch looked like he elbowed him in the face, which was funny after his recent moral dilemma

Like I actually thought it was an elbow and was like "drat, wasn't expecting him to go ahead with cheating after everything he just thought" before moving on to the next chapter

edit: I can see what's happening now, but at a glance I thought his right arm was speed lines coming out of his left elbow and that he just elbowed the gently caress out of his opponent's chin

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Same, 100% thought he went for a surprise "accidental" elbow or something

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1369
Nice.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Ippo is on RetroCrush, not like anyone here cares but you can tell your friends to watch it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Any friend who doesn't already pull up half a dozen supercuts of Ippo bouts on Youtube every month is no friend of mine :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmbL5Y6A0o

e:
Also Mashiba fight still good. Interested to see how far he has to push to put this guy away. I forget, is he challenging for a world title after this?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Takes No Damage posted:

Any friend who doesn't already pull up half a dozen supercuts of Ippo bouts on Youtube every month is no friend of mine :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmbL5Y6A0o

e:
Also Mashiba fight still good. Interested to see how far he has to push to put this guy away. I forget, is he challenging for a world title after this?

Yeah this is preliminary for the World Title. Whoever wins gets to take on the Champion.

Edit: Also Garcia was the former Champion that the current Champion dethroned.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the page of mashiba finally getting to drop back into hitman stance was so loving good

"ok good i got some distance - OH NO"