Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Why does the font switches between sans and serif on those screens? I wonder if it's an option. Pre-Stellaris fonts are bad so I hope some thought is put in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ilitarist posted:

Why does the font switches between sans and serif on those screens? I wonder if it's an option. Pre-Stellaris fonts are bad so I hope some thought is put in this one.

lol

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ethiopia is a cool place and I will presumably enjoy putting it back together in Vicky 3.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Hellioning posted:

Ethiopia is a cool place and I will presumably enjoy putting it back together in Vicky 3.

:same:

I know they mentioned that there's a larger spectrum of client state levels you can exist at, so playing outside of Europe and getting invaded by the British or whatever may just result in continuing to play as a protectorate or vassal rather than a game over. I wonder if there are any opportunities when you're playing as a vassal/client to gain territory from other vassals/clients of your overlord, like historical cases of multiple colonies being merged into one (Canada, South Africa, etc). If I play as Ethiopia and get conquered/vassalised by the British, can I ask them nicely to give me British Somaliland, and so on.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Traditionally, playing as a vassal/client/satellite in non-CK paradox games sucks, but I'm hoping Vicky 3's focus on internal development means even if you do become a protectorate or something you still have interesting gameplay

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pakled posted:

Traditionally, playing as a vassal/client/satellite in non-CK paradox games sucks, but I'm hoping Vicky 3's focus on internal development means even if you do become a protectorate or something you still have interesting gameplay

That would be interesting. I just want to turn my country into idyllic agrarians and if you regional power wanna take it you've gotta go through Big Daddy Britain/France/Prussia

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Pakled posted:

Yeah, one thing Imperator misses is vassal missions. They have good templates for some unique countries like Athens. You chose between preparing for independence war or getting a better deal from your overlord.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Red Bones posted:

:same:
If I play as Ethiopia and get conquered/vassalised by the British, can I ask them nicely to give me British Somaliland, and so on.

even if you could, good luck holding on to it. Also I don’t think the British would give Aden’s source of food to a foreign power, no matter how friendly it is. That’s why they spent 300 million pounds holding on to it

PawParole fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 27, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1475843985553952770

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Another Wiz tease.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1478380702483816453

And there was a fun dev AAR over on Discord the last couple days. Just search for posts by neondt if you’re on the Discord and want to read everything.

Despite him playing as the Papal States, my favorite screenshot is of USA 2. These don’t strike me as the states most likely to revolt from the actual United Sovereign Archduchy which will be declared in like 2032.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Haiti is going to be way too hard to play first but it's definitely on the list of countries I wanna try

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am very curious about what the experience of playing countries like Haiti will be like in Vicky 3 compared to 2. In 2 you basically can't do anything - you can use the old "rush prestige techs to art your way into being recognized as a secondary power" but unlike with Jan Mayen, there's nowhere you can really go from there because you don't have any gimmicky decisions that allow you to get a bunch of free territory and pops and trying to grow naturally just isn't viable as a OPM.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like to think the new American Revolution is being led by alt history Gavrilo Princip, who moved to the US and went bug eyed when he saw how many Archdukes there were to shoot.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Vicky3 in late 2022?

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/victoria-3-release-date-is-likely-to-be-in-late-2022-aO9oj2u88XR5

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Anno posted:

Another Wiz tease.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1478380702483816453

And there was a fun dev AAR over on Discord the last couple days. Just search for posts by neondt if you’re on the Discord and want to read everything.

Despite him playing as the Papal States, my favorite screenshot is of USA 2. These don’t strike me as the states most likely to revolt from the actual United Sovereign Archduchy which will be declared in like 2032.

United Sovereign Archduchy is an terrible name. I said this on twitter but if the US somehow went monarchist there is no chance it would settle for anything less than calling itself an Empire.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The USA will always be called the USA no matter what government type it has

Also you left out that the revolutionaries won, declared war on the Sioux then lost

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Agean90 posted:

The USA will always be called the USA no matter what government type it has

I know that and its incredibly dumb because then you end up with names like "United Sovereign Archduchy" which are not only nonsensical but sound stupid as well.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
that might be one of the most pedantic and stupid complaints about victoria and there are endless numbers of words complaining about the fact that they have removed the worst part of the previous games.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
clearly they are an archduchy because after the revolution they decided to never have a king, and archduchy is the made up title for equivalent to king but not a king technically

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

AnEdgelord posted:

I know that and its incredibly dumb because then you end up with names like "United Sovereign Archduchy" which are not only nonsensical but sound stupid as well.

Sorry you hate fun, have any more killjoy takes to share with the class?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Having a stupid name is punishment for letting liberty die :freep: :911:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just let me rename nations in game so I can fix all the stupid poo poo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

jsoh posted:

clearly they are an archduchy because after the revolution they decided to never have a king, and archduchy is the made up title for equivalent to king but not a king technically

"Archduchy" is what Hapsburg Austria called itself and nobody else has ever used it, which is another reason why its a stupid name to apply to a monarchist US

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Each state is now a archduchy and the emperor rules over all the archdukes.

federal monarchism

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think 'United Sovereign Archduchies' sounds better, but eh.

Like I get that it is slightly dumb but also consider that monarchist USA after 1800 or so is kind of dumb so it matches.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
All alternate names should be determined by rigorous historical analysis. Absolutely disgusted that they would treat this topic with anything less than the gravity and respect that it deserves with their "jokes". Do better, Paradox.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Eldoop posted:

All alternate names should be determined by rigorous historical analysis. Absolutely disgusted that they would treat this topic with anything less than the gravity and respect that it deserves with their "jokes". Do better, Paradox.

But also make sure you include the historically accurate 'Restore Byzantium' event chain because, as I summarise in the following essay

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

How about this: I find the name somewhat dissatisfying. If you're going to end up with something that sounds that bad, it's a little bit further than the gag should go. It's a funny gag though, and not the end of the world. It's mainly dissatisfying because it's a missed opportunity for a cooler sounding silly monarchical name.

That said, I will not throw a fit about it online.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

United State of America

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

United State of America

No one would go for such a basic rear end name

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nick Soapdish posted:

No one would go for such a basic rear end name

cmon tell me literally removing a single letter after a revolution isn't hilarious conceptually

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do think Haiti is a cool idea for a start but they are super small and don’t have a ton of resources so I’m not sure what you can do

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

But also make sure you include the historically accurate 'Restore Byzantium' event chain because, as I summarise in the following essay

Well? Post the essay

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I think 'United Sovereign Archduchies' sounds better, but eh.

Like I get that it is slightly dumb but also consider that monarchist USA after 1800 or so is kind of dumb so it matches.

I could totally see the governor of North Dakota or Rhode Island or something declaring themselves an Archduke, though. And then Pennsylvania would use Herzog or something.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

"Archduchy" is what Hapsburg Austria called itself and nobody else has ever used it, which is another reason why its a stupid name to apply to a monarchist US

norton the first, most august imperial archduke of the free principalities of san francisco and oakland

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Agean90 posted:

federal monarchism

Negusa Nagast

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Agean90 posted:

federal monarchism

Yes, I do think the HRE is the logical end point of American authoritarianism.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do think Haiti is a cool idea for a start but they are super small and don’t have a ton of resources so I’m not sure what you can do

Get into somebody else's giant market, carve out a niche by abusing player insight into the mechanics and cheese your way into being one of the world's premier exporters of some grossly high-profit product, use the money from that to git gud. Also probably tell the French to get hosed somewhere along the way.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

As Haiti in V2, I just had the USA conquer much of Spain's empire for me. Then I used that and amazing art to become a GP and join the race for Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Crazycryodude posted:

Get into somebody else's giant market, carve out a niche by abusing player insight into the mechanics and cheese your way into being one of the world's premier exporters of some grossly high-profit product, use the money from that to git gud. Also probably tell the French to get hosed somewhere along the way.

is that cheese? that sounds WAD(and awesome)