Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Waiting for the Green one to be even moderately strong and just shove 4 in a deck with Slogurk, Wrenn & Six, and Life from the Loam

It's gonna be like +2/+2 for 2 mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jabor posted:

Back in OG Kamigawa, Channel was only on Spirits, and it did something related to an ability that the creature side had. So there was definitely a thematic connection between the two halves.

So it was kind of a proto-evoke that didn't affect etb triggers?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So it was kind of a proto-evoke that didn't affect etb triggers?

Evoking is still casting though, channel is an activated ability and can't be countered by cards that counter spells

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Waiting for the Green one to be even moderately strong and just shove 4 in a deck with Slogurk, Wrenn & Six, and Life from the Loam

2G sorcery speed rampant growth is my guess

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

Basically every magic mechanic is kicker.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Channel is a neat way to get around the drawback of legendary lands. Already got the land out? Well the one in your hand is a spell now

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the drawback of legendary lands with channel is that their ability is useless in Land Commander, the hot new format I just made up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

the drawback of legendary lands with channel is that their ability is useless in Land Commander, the hot new format I just made up

I'm the land commander, twisted land commander

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kalel posted:

wow total fail on wotc, what idiots!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I feel like there's nothing that the red land could do that wouldn't be a significant upgrade to burn decks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ultima66 posted:

I feel like there's nothing that the red land could do that wouldn't be a significant upgrade to burn decks.

What if it kicks you in the crotch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ultima66 posted:

There is a lot a red land could do that might never see a burn deck.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think with the Ramanup ban a couple years ago they could skew fairly conservative with how much burn they'll put on a land that goes to the face with damage.

Could end up using reds exile topdeck use or lose card advantage mechanic instead.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ultima66 posted:

just Cycling RR would be significant, don't be so negative

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The red one is probably going to be like "3R: target creature can't block this turn, costs 1 less for each legendary permanent you control"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
would a land with an overcosted Falter as the ability be overpowered?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just Cycling RR would be significant, don't be so negative

That's what I'm saying, I'm being positive. Overcosted Falter is huge, overcosted face damage is absurd, overcosted exile top 2 play them until end of next turn is absurd, overcosted discard X cards draw X cards is still absurd. It most likely doesn't do damage to creatures since that'd be so similar to the white one but of course that'd be absurd even at 4 mana deal 2 or something. It'd have to have like a 6 mana base cost and also do something like destroy a nonbasic land for it to not be incredible in burn.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Put Raging River on the Red one.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Overcosted Shatter target Token

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm the land commander, twisted land commander

Welcome, Lord Windgrace

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
3R sure strike

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

1R and it orders you a pizza from Domino's

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

1R and it orders you a pizza from Domino's

The pizza costs one dollar leas for each legendary permanent

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

thetoughestbean posted:

The pizza costs one dollar leas for each legendary permanent

I'm liking this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gruel Bard Class Free Pizza Deck tearing up the meta.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Running a budget modern league in my city right now, which means that every deck has to be both modern legal, and costless than $100 according to mtggoldfish.

So far there's a lot of innovation, and me playing a meme deck

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gruel Bard Class Free Pizza Deck tearing up the meta.

This made me wonder how powerful an untapped dual land cycle would be who's only downside is they are legendary lands. How many would it make sense to run?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

This made me wonder how powerful an untapped dual land cycle would be who's only downside is they are legendary lands. How many would it make sense to run?

typed duals? I feel like that matters a lot. If they're fetchable and there's a way to fetch them in the format, then 1-2 are all you need

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Running a budget modern league in my city right now, which means that every deck has to be both modern legal, and costless than $100 according to mtggoldfish.

Post the meme deck

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

How good is burn?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

How good is burn?

Good but not as good as you think because it’s priced into mono red (if you want to keep eidolon in the budget), and nobody has shocks and fetches or thoughtseizes.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Post the meme deck

:getin: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4495592#paper

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Seismic Swans!?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

Good but not as good as you think because it’s priced into mono red (if you want to keep eidolon in the budget), and nobody has shocks and fetches or thoughtseizes.

:getin: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4495592#paper

Ahhh, the lack of self-damage would be a big loss. I definitely didn't factor that in.

Let us know what did well, the premise is interesting. I could see some odd-ball tribal decks coming out in full force like zombies.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Saffronolive.dec format lol

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I bet you could trim living end to under $100 if you just keep it to 3 living ends, 7 cascade cards, and the shittiest jund manabase you can imagine.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That's how I played Modern back when I started playing MtG a few years ago. I never had flashy fetches and shocks or anything like that, I just used fastlands and painlands and just substituted expensive cards for cheaper ones. It worked pretty well overall.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

A Moose posted:

I bet you could trim living end to under $100 if you just keep it to 3 living ends, 7 cascade cards, and the shittiest jund manabase you can imagine.

:getin:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

A Moose posted:

You need blue mana for living end. A lot of it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Living end was jund back in the day before they printed a bunch of good cyclers in AKT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like they said, the shittiest Jund manabase imaginable