Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Spray rhino liner on the underside of anything you buy new before the first winter. And keep tire chains in your trunk.

I've been doubting my need for winter tires this year, but the 3" of snow we got a few days ago hasn't melted and the roads here are still snowpacked (not iced). It hasn't gotten above freezing in over a week. Definitely buying snow tires for next winter.

Fluid Film applied every season is the only true way. Professionally applied undercoating can sometimes work, if the prep is done right so that it sticks. As soon as a segment delaminates because it didn't bond properly it'll act like a sponge holding brine up against the undercarriage and rust things out worse than if it weren't there in the first place. I've lived in Ohio my entire life and can confirm as someone that does all of his own car maintenance that salt sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The undercoating we were spraying at our garages was basically just asphalt or tar you were spraying up against the car. poo poo was never coming off unless you went at it with a knife and cut away at a section for a few minutes. Only issue was if someone didnt get the underside washed before showing up but at that point its out of our hands. The yearly oily coatings nearby would just fall off halfway through a normal ny winter usually

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bored As gently caress posted:

I feel so bad for those people. poo poo like that is why I have an emergency car kit, a wool blanket, plus a bug out bag with Under Armor Cold Gear leggings and undershirt plus other poo poo. I also have water in a double walled bottle so it won't freeze, a box of granola bars, an MRE, and trail mix in the bag. I once had to spend 4 and a half hrs driving home from what would've usually been a 20 minute commute. Never again will I be unprepared for that poo poo.

I also want to get an auxiliary fuel tank to beef up my preparedness. Expensive but worth it to me.

It's a shame the preparedness well has been so poisoned by shitheads. It's kinda fun to prep for poo poo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

About six years ago, drivers in the DC metro were treated to a 12+ hour commute home in some areas because a freak little snow squall dumped a half-inch of snow on top of cold, untreated roads during rush hour. Sometimes poo poo just goes super, duper wrong.

Yeah that was a "fun" night. Here's Connecticut Ave just north of the Zoo, around 10PM that night.

The actual blizzard we got two days later was a lot of fun though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

One of those cases when a system might clear 1M cars/hour suddenly goes down to 10K and there ain't poo poo that can be done to clear things fast.

Is there an online resource where I can look up traffic through-rates or whatever. Some sort of interactive map maybe

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Generation Internet posted:

Really sucks for everyone who's trapped and I hope they get out soon, but at least I haven't heard of any big deadly pileups because traffic was going too fast for the conditions.

How I feel when I hit gridlock in atlanta traffic

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

How I feel when I hit gridlock in atlanta traffic

GA is the only place I've ever seen where 3 drops of rain has everyone running 30 on the interstate with their hazards on, like seriously what the gently caress

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also, yesterday's storm took out more trees and branches in DC than any other storm in any other season that I can remember, and that includes Hurricane Sandy and the 2012 Derecho.

This was what hosed us a couple years ago in Texas; a day of freezing rain that collapsed a zillion trees into power lines.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

GA is the only place I've ever seen where 3 drops of rain has everyone running 30 on the interstate with their hazards on, like seriously what the gently caress

Meanwhile in florida they're in a cat 2 storm and everyone's going 70 lmao

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there an online resource where I can look up traffic through-rates or whatever. Some sort of interactive map maybe

For the record, I pulled those numbers directly out of my rear end to make the point - I'd also like said map!

https://twitter.com/JulieNBCNews/status/1478468228720570370

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I-5 here in WA has a reputation for being one of the worst commutes but I've managed to avoid needing to use it in the 6 years I've been living here, I've always been able to use city streets or back roads to get where I'm going. Pretty much the only time I get on the highway is if I'm leaving the city.

One of the things that has made me reluctant on buying a house is potentially changing jobs one day and suddenly needing to commute on that poo poo show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The section of I-95 that's hosed has four major things wrong with it, just in general:

1. People are lovely drivers.
2. There need to be more exits on that stretch. When something like this happens you can be 5-10+ miles away from the nearest exit, so it causes multi-mile backups simply because people can't bail. Even when they can, Route 1 is ill-equipped to handle 95's volume.
3. It's flanked on all sides by "wildlife preserves/refuges" which are mostly a cover for "rich people own the land on/around the River," which complicates...
4. There *desperately* needs to be a third Potomac crossing somewhere between the Wilson and Nice bridges, even if it's tolled.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 4, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lazy attempt at a ranking: 405 (LA), Boston, 95 (DC), Miami

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I drove I-95 down to Florida a few weeks ago for my dad's funeral and it was pretty shocking seeing the difference in quality in Florida compared to Virginia. There's exits, lights, and signage all over the place along with fresh pavement. I don't know what the gently caress we're paying for in Virginia besides endless construction of Lexus lanes without enough oversight to ensure the contractors are even painting lane markers (more of an I-66 thing, really).

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Lazy attempt at a ranking: 405 (LA), Boston, 95 (DC), Miami

Not American, but the QEW and 401 are loving god-awful.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's not a correct ranking because Atlanta isn't on it, unless that's just your personal experience and you've been lucky enough to avoid Atlanta traffic period.

I always categorize it as a two axis system with one axis being the scale of "meek to aggressive" and the other axis measuring driving skill from "How Did They Get a License" to "Tactical Pro". Where I grew up and where I am now we get meek drivers on the poor skill level, which leads to accidents in the rain and four people waving each other ahead at four way stops.

Then places like Boston and Cleveland and Atlanta have low-skill drivers on an extreme aggressive level, which leads to tailgating, honking, gridlock, accidents and road rage.

But then there's high-aggression, high-skill locales like Manhattan, where traffic on the FDR can be bumper to bumper and still move 60mph, and taxis and box trucks merge seamlessly, mostly with other professional drivers. God it's exhilarating.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Not American, but the QEW and 401 are loving god-awful.

Having driven that, the biggest issue there is some :downs: motherfucker decided on double-laned entrances to the freeway.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nafisehkbbc/status/1478399617385607178?s=21

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

That's not a correct ranking because Atlanta isn't on it, unless that's just your personal experience and you've been lucky enough to avoid Atlanta traffic period.

I always categorize it as a two axis system with one axis being the scale of "meek to aggressive" and the other axis measuring driving skill from "How Did They Get a License" to "Tactical Pro". Where I grew up and where I am now we get meek drivers on the poor skill level, which leads to accidents in the rain and four people waving each other ahead at four way stops.

Then places like Boston and Cleveland and Atlanta have low-skill drivers on an extreme aggressive level, which leads to tailgating, honking, gridlock, accidents and road rage.

But then there's high-aggression, high-skill locales like Manhattan, where traffic on the FDR can be bumper to bumper and still move 60mph, and taxis and box trucks merge seamlessly, mostly with other professional drivers. God it's exhilarating.

New Jersey is honestly the best place I've ever driven, the rules are absolutely orthogonal to the law but once you figure them out everything Just Works

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/new-york/deadliest-road-ny/amp/

Designed as a 35-40 mph leisurely cruise from nyc to albany for the weekend.

Now is an 80 mph commute/death race from upstate into the city for everyone who doesnt take the train.

This looks to be ~65 mph : https://youtu.be/5y4PhaX4o2A

Imagine that at 80 with double the traffic. And thats not even the narrow twisty part really, thats south of 301 where the vid ends.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"suicide drones?" :raise:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

"democratized cruise missiles"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What’s the difference between a drone and a cruise missile?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

Was going to post the same thing. How are drones suicide? Isn’t that kind of the point in using something machine?

Edit-improvised guided explosives maybe? Something like that but certainly the opposite of suicide.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

A defense contractor being involved.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iran has these things which are kinda like baby MQ-1 predators:

Maybe they mean one was sent on a one way mission?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

This is basically me, at work, all the time. Just repeating that we need to think about a lot of these weapons as slow cruise missiles or loitering munitions, not as RC toys or unknowable mystery entities.

In common professional usage suicide drone is actually called a one-way-attack unmanned aerial system.

A drone that can fire ordnance and return to bade is “attack-capable” rather than one-way-attack.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The section of I-95 that's hosed has four major things wrong with it, just in general:

1. People are lovely drivers.
2. There need to be more exits on that stretch. When something like this happens you can be 5-10+ miles away from the nearest exit, so it causes multi-mile backups simply because people can't bail. Even when they can, Route 1 is ill-equipped to handle 95's volume.
3. It's flanked on all sides by "wildlife preserves/refuges" which are mostly a cover for "rich people own the land on/around the River," which complicates...
4. There *desperately* needs to be a third Potomac crossing somewhere between the Wilson and Nice bridges, even if it's tolled.

Ironically the best spot in that section to site an additional bridge across the Potomac would be at Quantico but lol Marines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

This is basically me, at work, all the time. Just repeating that we need to think about a lot of these weapons as slow cruise missiles or loitering munitions, not as RC toys or unknowable mystery entities.

What would a modern western military call a V-1?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Unguided ballistic missile?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Ironically the best spot in that section to site an additional bridge across the Potomac would be at Quantico but lol Marines.

It'll never happen there because there are no roads on the other side that could/would handle the volume. The only road that would make the least bit of sense to connect across the river would be Indian Head Hwy, but unfortunately there's a military base in the way on the MD side and a State Park and about a *billion* single family homes on the VA side.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

trash garbage for idiots

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

A free-flight semi-guided winged rocket.

I mean, when you get down to it, the V-1 was just an upgraded pulse-jet form of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettering_Bug

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stravag posted:

Unguided ballistic missile?

I am so upset by this combination of words.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Soul Dentist posted:

driving through chicago was always an "if you were a bit sleepy before (who the gently caress isn't after a few hours in southern wisconsin) you sure as gently caress aren't anymore". it was that, but around 80mph in 55mph zones (granted, any interstate still saying it's 55mph is a leftover from the 70s and a failure of the state highway authority, but still).

in unrelated news, Kazakhstan is starting off 2022 strong, having progressed from "scattered protests in outer regions" to "extensive riots in the largest city almost commandeering an APC" in about 3 days after a removal of price caps resulted in a prompt twofold increase in fuel prices

https://twitter.com/_ZhN_/status/1478472465479200771

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Speaking of Chicago, I saw an article this morning about the city setting their speed cameras to ticket at 6mph over, and has had an 8 fold increase in tickets written since implementing.

Lol. Chicago.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bored As gently caress posted:

Lineworkers gonna be making tons of OT. gently caress me that's a great job if you can get into it. Tough as hell days during the winter, though.

Oh yeah would assume there’s a network where line workers in neighboring states can make the trip to get in on it. I think there was something similar last year with the Texas freeze and all the burst pipes where they waived state licensing requirements for non-Texan plumbers because of the sheer volume of the crisis.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Most states have reciprocity for journeymen electrician licenses. If they're in a union, they can call the locals in effected areas and see if there's work available. Travelling linemen are not uncommon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Then there’s the other side, with nothing between the western beltway crossing and US-15 at the Point of Rocks.

Ram an expressway across Lowes Island :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Then there’s the other side, with nothing between the western beltway crossing and US-15 at the Point of Rocks.

Ram an expressway across Lowes Island :getin:

That was the original plan!