Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

he's trying to say that BIG GOVERNMENT doesn't care about good Americans getting robbed as long as uncle sam gets his cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Character known for having many statues of him all around America, Uncle Sam.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

:nallears:

Yes, cars need two accelerators and no breaks. This is a good thing.

How do you suck at metaphor this hard?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zesty posted:

:nallears:

Yes, cars need two accelerators and no breaks. This is a good thing.

How do you suck at metaphor this hard?

... Ramirez is in favour of keeping the filibuster. Unless cards really do need two accelerators and no breaks, I don't drive personally.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

Character known for having many statues of him all around America, Uncle Sam.

I went to a tiki bar in the basement of a historical house that uncle sam had lived in. The bartender couldn't make a mai tai and there was fox news blaring on the tv.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Someone tell me I’m misreading this, is Ramirez criticizing Biden for quitting on fighting the pandemic? Because yeah, I kind of agree, and that’s not a comfortable feeling

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

When even I can do this, that's a sign it's deliberately set up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Wait'll he finds out about Al Capone.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Drakyn posted:

When even I can do this, that's a sign it's deliberately set up.

From my cold dead hands!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This has literally been a thing for decades now. Charging criminals with not reporting ill-gotten money as income is like one of the main ways the feds hit organized crime

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

America without racism? How terrible! It might as well not even exist if there's no racism!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

"Your racist history has been re-written."

Y-yes???
But not by the dreaded "woke" people.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Even aside from the fact that these fuckers always ignore that the main character of the movie's life's work is helping previously-locked out immigrant families become homeowners and the villain is one of those mom-and-pop slumlandlords they love so much... why are we getting an It's a Wonderful Life cartoon in January? It's dated 2022, so it's not a holdover from the holiday season.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

So is this incomprehensible because i know next to nothing about american football, or is it just incomprehensible because it's Ramirez

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Angepain posted:

So is this incomprehensible because i know next to nothing about american football, or is it just incomprehensible because it's Ramirez

Its a thing happened. Antonio Brown of the Buccaneers left the field during the third quarter of the Jets game Sunday and was kicked off the team shortly after. It was dramatic too. Took off his pads and shirt and ran off.

Edit: Video for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wsiaX8VgQ

My Face When fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 5, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It is also incomprehensible knowing what Antonio Brown did.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Coulda done without panel four.

Clay Jones

Gary Markstein

Jack Ohman

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

VitalSigns posted:

Is it supposed to be a bad thing that criminals have to pay taxes?

I don't even understand the objection, doesn't Garrison want to be tough on crime post-Floyd (until Ben gets a speeding ticket), do conservatives want crime to not only pay but pay tax-free?

And hasn't this been the practise forever, like if you are found to have been smuggling (tobacco, booze, illegal drugs) they will charge you for avoided taxes in addition to the smuggling charges? You will be fined for tax avoidance AND be made to pay the tax.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

The Senate is supposed to change gears and the brakes (a veto) are the president's job.
A three pedals of government cartoon.
Kinda expected that from Peyne tbh

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Cops straight up murdered a protestor advocating for reform, an ACAB cartoon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nenonen posted:

And hasn't this been the practise forever, like if you are found to have been smuggling (tobacco, booze, illegal drugs) they will charge you for avoided taxes in addition to the smuggling charges? You will be fined for tax avoidance AND be made to pay the tax.

Yes, as others have pointed out it's what we nailed Capone for, and it's a major way to target organized crime.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SubG posted:

Exactly how I saw it too. If only the cops had been defunded by now, maybe they wouldn't have murdered that protestor.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst A Thing Happened

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This has literally been a thing for decades now. Charging criminals with not reporting ill-gotten money as income is like one of the main ways the feds hit organized crime

There’s a tweet making the rounds lately, with the actual text of the IRS policy (you will be charged unless you report your illegal income or return it to its proper owner before the end of the tax year), which is innately comical and then makes perfect sense if you think about it for two seconds.

That last “if” is what led Garrison to produce this cartoon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This seems really bad, people being able to sue them is the only thing that makes companies uphold anything close to a moral standard as opposed to murdering people for fun and profit (I mean, even more so than they already do and with way less subtlety).

Like, I know things are really bad now but if you take away the one thing that occasionally serves as a consequence under capitalism things are going to get even worse in new and terrifying ways.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This seems really bad, people being able to sue them is the only thing that makes companies uphold anything close to a moral standard as opposed to murdering people for fun and profit (I mean, even more so than they already do and with way less subtlety).

Like, I know things are really bad now but if you take away the one thing that occasionally serves as a consequence under capitalism things are going to get even worse in new and terrifying ways.

The existence of arbitration clauses of the sort described have been around for decades and there's been no recent significant SCOTUS rulings on it to my knowledge. Frequently they're not enforceable; they just exist as a massive burden for a litigant to have to prove they're not enforceable. Corporations don't have unique access to arbitration clauses either; it's just that there's a power imbalance in favor of whomever writes (and actually spends time reading) a contract. Employees can of course try to insist on arbitration clauses in their favor- the employer often just refuses because, well, they've got the power.

Also, everyone should read contracts before you sign them.

edit: a quick google suggests the last SCOTUS case on arbitration applicability was in early 2021 and ended with SCOTUS deciding not to hear the case after all, effectively handing a win to the person trying to prevent the application of the clause.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 5, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SubG posted:

Lol

Kellies nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Both Political Parties Have Their Own Big Lie

Ted Rall posted:

Republicans adhere to the “big lie” that Joe Biden cheated Donald Trump out of the 2020 election. Meanwhile, Democrats adhere to a big lie of their own, namely that Donald Trump cheated Hillary Clinton out of the 2016 election. Clinton didn’t help when she recently read the speech she had prepared for her 2016 “victory.”

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
gently caress you ted rall for making me want to defend hillary clinton

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Scott Morrison pushes to reclassify Covid hospital admissions - with only 51 patients on ventilators despite Australia recording thousands of new cases every day (Daily Mail). Anyone admitted to hospital for any reason such as broken bones who is then found to have Covid is then treated as if they have Covid and added to the numbers, and Scott Morrison, the Daily Mail and Leak are arguing that they should not count.
i.e. :tif:

Kellies Nomination: Most easily misinterpreted. Most patients showing up at ER already HAVE covid, or get it in the hospital. So anyone admitted with broken bones has a good chance they had it without symptoms and being in hospital will actually GET tested, which you now can't do without being admitted for some other reason.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 5, 2022

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Wanted to do an American Gothic parody, didn't wanna draw a house. Labels to the rescue.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Scott Morrison pushes to reclassify Covid hospital admissions - with only 51 patients on ventilators despite Australia recording thousands of new cases every day (Daily Mail). Anyone admitted to hospital for any reason such as broken bones who is then found to have Covid is then treated as if they have Covid and added to the numbers, and Scott Morrison, the Daily Mail and Leak are arguing that they should not count.
i.e. :tif:
Wait wait wait. So they're mad that people who come into the hospital and have Covid are being marked down as having Covid?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vib Rib posted:

Wait wait wait. So they're mad that people who come into the hospital and have Covid are being marked down as having Covid?

If you go to hospital for some other reason, and have covid as well, he's arguing you shouldn't be added to the total amount of people in hospital with covid (reasons). This would make the impact on the hospital system have a lower number because it would only count.

So yes, evil, incompatancy and marketing all in one. The hallmark of Scummo our PM.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

gently caress you ted rall for making me want to defend hillary clinton

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nameless Pete posted:

Wanted to do an American Gothic parody, didn't wanna draw a house. Labels to the rescue.

Laziest non-Gorrell?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Both Political Parties Have Their Own Big Lie

Why did he run this cartoon from 2016?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did he run this cartoon from 2016?
Because Hillary decided to give her 2016 victory speech in 2021