Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Dr. Honked posted:

urg blurg I got a covid booster this morning and now the side effects are starting. BLARG

You get to spend the day half-watching Netflix and feeling like poo poo! I'm honestly jealous, I haven't had a sick day in over 2 years now. The vaccines didn't do jack to me.

(The above is a lie, I took a sick day when I got boosted because I was so mad about not having any sick days for 2 years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

@cruft and @hamjobs and/or any other vegetarian cooks in the thread, do you have any instapot recipes that you recommend? Have been subsisting on frozen single-serving veggies, but want to try something new. Note, I have a baby tongue and can't handle anything too spicy. Chipotle peppers are about my max.

I know the joys of lentils and beans, but I feel like I never spice them correctly.

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

Cardi BYOB posted:

NESAM COME VISIT I WILL FEED YOU.

Hell everyone come visit, I will feed you. So much food. I got a good Afghan place here.

I like eating. What's Afghan like? it's hot as gently caress there, so like I'd assume salt/spice. If its like anything from anywhere in the world that's normally hot(save Australia, which also seriously I'd gently caress with street sausage if it was a thing(used to live in a tiny town with a Tyson and they had two days a year where businesses set up grills and all sorts of stuff and it was just a fuckfest of hotdogs for free))(lol, I can't help but loving nest poo poo(seriously, hosed(no actual choice I just am used to doing it for math and it boils the gently caress over)))

Really tho, if you're offering a free meal it only makes sense to spend a shitload of money to come get it :)

Dr. Honked posted:

urg blurg I got a covid booster this morning and now the side effects are starting. BLARG

Both of my initials were mornings that I had lots to do, I felt great and it always seemed like the ppl that planned to not do poo poo felt the worst. Maybe anedotal, maybe something, maybe just coincidental... Not at all to be a dick, sorry you're feeling some not cool poo poo. if it helps, i'm gonna go get booster, flu shot, and tetnis late this week in one go and i'm a bit scared its gonna make me a mess... and HONK

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I'm alright, I'm being looked after

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I had carrot bacon this morning and it was really good. My favorite vegan bacon is still just roasting up mushroom bacon at home, but this was really good. I like vegan "substitutes" where you really can't pretend it's the thing in question, but it kind of fills the same ecological niche in the meal, in this case, something kind of smoky, crispy, and chewy. I've had good vegan bacon made out of smoked coconut or seitan that did come close to tasting and feeling like bacon, but I did really enjoy actually tasting the carrot, because carrots taste good.

Zil posted:

@cruft and @hamjobs and/or any other vegetarian cooks in the thread, do you have any instapot recipes that you recommend? Have been subsisting on frozen single-serving veggies, but want to try something new. Note, I have a baby tongue and can't handle anything too spicy. Chipotle peppers are about my max.

I know the joys of lentils and beans, but I feel like I never spice them correctly.

Instant pots are great for doing stuff like dal, risotto, or chilis, so if you have a veg recipe for any of those that you like it's super easy to adapt them for the instant pot.
Here's a pretty tasty mushroom risotto recipe: https://www.theedgyveg.com/2018/01/17/mushroom-risotto-instant-pot-recipe/
Here's a pot pie soup I've made a few times: https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vegan-pot-pie-soup/
Here's a really great leek and mushroom chowder, which honestly you might be better off waiting until spring to make https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vegan-wild-mushroom-leek-chowder/
Veg instant pot chili is pretty easy to eyeball, but this looks like a pretty good template? https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-instant-pot-chili-vegan-oil-free/
I haven't made this but it looks really good and I've done similar stuff just off of guesswork: https://minimalistbaker.com/roasted-red-pepper-chickpea-curry-instant-pot-friendly/
Oh I've had this and it rules too: https://cookieandkate.com/mexican-quinoa-stew-recipe/

I like Minimalist Baker in general: they have a little hub of instant pot recipes here: https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-instant-pot-recipes/

Oh, also, I will say the biggest revelation for me and Bingo Bango was less making a full meal in the instant pot (although we do that a lot) but more how easy it makes to get dried stuff like beans, lentils, etc. ready to go. You will never need to soak cashews overnight ever again.

Ditto breakfast stuff-- one of my 2022 resolutions is to get better at eating breakfast regularly instead of just powering through until dinner if I'm busy, and apparently overnight oats are just a thing of the past. You can oat on a dime now.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 4, 2022

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cruft posted:

You get to spend the day half-watching Netflix and feeling like poo poo! I'm honestly jealous, I haven't had a sick day in over 2 years now. The vaccines didn't do jack to me.

(The above is a lie, I took a sick day when I got boosted because I was so mad about not having any sick days for 2 years)

If you have been physically healthy but mentally not so, nothing wrong with a mental health day. Take the time for yourself, your work wont.

sig by owlhawk911

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Cardi BYOB posted:

NESAM COME VISIT I WILL FEED YOU.

Hell everyone come visit, I will feed you. So much food. I got a good Afghan place here.

how do you even prepare an afghan for eating, I'd assume they'd be too tough and fibrous

also: I really want to try carrot bacon now, I love slicing carrots into long strips with a potato peeler and adding that to stir fry / other dishes. Mmmmm, thin sliced carrot sheets

cruft

pixaal posted:

Take the time for yourself, your work wont.

:hmmyes:

Regarding instant pot recipes, unlike How Wonderful, I am super lazy. Mostly what I make in my two instant pots in beans and rice, which is comfort food chez cruft.

You can indeed make a bitchin' risotto in the instant pot. And it kicks rear end at stews and soups, where you just dump everything in and wait.

For xmas, Ms Cruft got a book that I think More Falafel Please recommended, called "Indian-ish", and it seems like more than half the recipes in there could easily be made in the instant pot with no additional cookware.

I guess we're kinda biased toward Indian recipes because Indian food kicks rear end for vegetarians.

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

:hmmyes:

Regarding instant pot recipes, unlike How Wonderful, I am super lazy. Mostly what I make in my two instant pots in beans and rice, which is comfort food chez cruft.

You can indeed make a bitchin' risotto in the instant pot. And it kicks rear end at stews and soups, where you just dump everything in and wait.

For xmas, Ms Cruft got a book that I think More Falafel Please recommended, called "Indian-ish", and it seems like more than half the recipes in there could easily be made in the instant pot with no additional cookware.

I guess we're kinda biased toward Indian recipes because Indian food kicks rear end for vegetarians.

yeah! indian-ish is awesome and Priya is super cool. i met her at a concert in the Before Times and we danced to robyn

the book has exactly 3 recipes that aren't vegetarian, and one or two of those is fish. we used to eat the microwave Indian "tasty-bite" stuff a lot when we wanted something moderately healthy without any work, but now we just make masoor dal in the instant pot. 1 cup red lentils, 3 cups water, 1tsp salt, 1tsp turmeric, 10 minutes on high pressure, natural pressure release. squeeze in the juice of a lime, taste for salt, garnish with cilantro! we usually make basmati rice at the same in the rice cooker but you could serve it with whatever.

she also highly suggests making a "chonkk" which is a ghee (or oil) based condiment that is super easy to make as well and lets you add some heat but have it be customizable for the person eating it. her basic chonkk is 2tbsp ghee (or olive oil), 1tbsp cumin seed, a dried chili and a pinch of cayenne (I like heat so I tend to go hard with the pinch). you heat the fat until it's shimmering, dump the cumin seed in and cook for like 5-10 seconds max, once it starts changing color take it off the heat and add in your hot stuff. you could also totally omit the heat if you don't want it and just get hot toasted cumin seed fat, which is amazing. i just drizzle some of that on top of my bowl of rice and dal and that's dinner

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

How Wonderful!

Code Jockey posted:

how do you even prepare an afghan for eating, I'd assume they'd be too tough and fibrous

also: I really want to try carrot bacon now, I love slicing carrots into long strips with a potato peeler and adding that to stir fry / other dishes. Mmmmm, thin sliced carrot sheets

For awhile the big trend was using smoked carrots as hot dogs too and I have to admit that while people really made fun of the concept it tasted really amazing.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

has anyone tried putting a burrito in a blender?

Zil posted:

Yes. It just becomes a really thick bean dip.

<3

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

biosterous

nesamdoom posted:

gently caress the pig in the room

that probably costs extra

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I missed the fighting and plumbing context, but pretend I made a terrible joke about getting pumped for the fight, doing a lot of pushups, getting my pex really big, so now it doesn't fit on the adapters properly any more and water is going everywhere.

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Half of my coworkers are out sick, so we're working from home.

Which is nice because I can sleep in a little.

cruft

more falafel please posted:

now we just make masoor dal in the instant pot. 1 cup red lentils, 3 cups water, 1tsp salt, 1tsp turmeric, 10 minutes on high pressure, natural pressure release. squeeze in the juice of a lime, taste for salt, garnish with cilantro! we usually make basmati rice at the same in the rice cooker but you could serve it with whatever.

This was loving delicious, and super easy to make.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

biosterous posted:

oddly not as much as you'd think if you pay them to BBQ it after.

Heather Papps

hello friend

my gramma turned 93 (!!!) but our province is going into lockdown tomorrow so dinner out turned into pizza at my cousins house with a modest amount of family.

it was nice! i got to meet a very fresh, (less than a month), old baby named russell which is the name of one of my oldest friends but a strange name for a baby, i think.
since finding out that my brother named his son lincoln unaware of uncle lincoln i've been thinking a lot about baby names and i should ask my siblings, or parents this, but i'm also curious to ask folk here the same thing.

how do you name a human? isn't it utterly terrifying? don't you think of all the ways the name could be used in a mocking playground rhyme? how do you decide? how often is the picked name rejected upon birth?

having a child is, to me, a terrifying amount of responsibility but the whole naming process seems especially tricky. maybe if i have kids i'll just wait and let them pick?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

How Wonderful!

One thing I've learned is that you can always change it later

Bad Video Games

We basically threw suggestions at each other until we found a name we both liked. Doesn't matter now because our daughter turned out to be a son and chose a new name which we're in the process of making official and legal.

How Wonderful! posted:

You can, but how easy it is depends on jurisdiction. An affidavit, notary republic, newspaper article and a potential hearing are part of the process here in Maryland. Which all take a bunch of time and money, and may end up refused anyway.

more falafel please

forums poster

How Wonderful! posted:

my favorite burn for trans folks to use against cis people is

"nice name you got there, did your MOM pick it out for you"

more falafel please

forums poster

speaking of Indian-ish, we (my wife specifically) made a recipe out of it we hadn't made before today, the aloo gobi. it's pretty different from aloo gobi I've had at restaurants, not sure if it's a regional thing or just "this is how I like to make it". but anyway there's no sauce, it's roasted potatoes/cauliflower sautéed with onions/spices/oil.

we also made some frozen fish sticks because we didn't have enough potatoes to make it a main, but it was good and pretty easy! it's also supposed to have cilantro but we didn't have any and it's covidy out there

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Heather Papps posted:

how do you name a human? isn't it utterly terrifying? don't you think of all the ways the name could be used in a mocking playground rhyme? how do you decide? how often is the picked name rejected upon birth?
I have thought about this even though I am never having any children. For me, having learned from my childhood name and selected name, the key points are:
1. does not lend itself too easily to a mocking playground rhyme.
2. is easy to spell from hearing it, and easy to pronounce from seeing the spelling.
3. it's ideal for it to be funny if it's not in a mean way, e.g. "Matt Black", "Emerald Green" or "Cat Doggs" would all be fun names to have. This also short-circuits anyone trying to make fun of your name, because it's already funny (but you won't be upset by people saying it because it's your name not some rude mangling of it), and it makes you more memorable and thereby primes you for doing something where your name would be on a book cover or in some credits or something later, if that's the sort of thing you want.

How Wonderful!

Walla posted:

You can, but how easy it is depends on jurisdiction. An affidavit, notary republic, newspaper article and a potential hearing are part of the process here in Maryland. Which all take a bunch of time and money, and may end up refused anyway.

It took me a really long time in PA but some of that was COVID throwing wrenches into everything; I actually wound up having a nice rapport with the one guy at City Hall who knew where everything was, and I finally met him in person in the flesh at the very end of the processes after the certified copies of my name change got lost in the mail so he told me to just come on down to Center City to pick up new ones in person. It was a snowy day and the Philly Holiday Village was still up, everybody was bundled up, and he came out of the building and handed me my paperwork and a hot chocolate and gave me a big hug. I also didn't actually have to have the hearing although it was listed as part of the process-- the most painful part really was the cost, which iirc was mostly for judgment searches and for placing the notification in this one specific legal periodical.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 5, 2022

nesamdoom

nesaM kiled Masen

biosterous posted:

What's it even there for if I can't knock a quick one out between starters and main dish?

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,rear end-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
hot cocoa on the couch

Heather Papps posted:

my gramma turned 93 (!!!) but our province is going into lockdown tomorrow so dinner out turned into pizza at my cousins house with a modest amount of family.

it was nice! i got to meet a very fresh, (less than a month), old baby named russell which is the name of one of my oldest friends but a strange name for a baby, i think.
since finding out that my brother named his son lincoln unaware of uncle lincoln i've been thinking a lot about baby names and i should ask my siblings, or parents this, but i'm also curious to ask folk here the same thing.

having a child is, to me, a terrifying amount of responsibility but the whole naming process seems especially tricky. maybe if i have kids i'll just wait and let them pick?

hey province buddy. my kids are upset they're not going back to school tomorrow :(

Bad Video Games

How Wonderful! posted:

It took me a really long time in PA but some of that was COVID throwing wrenches into everything; I actually wound up having a nice rapport with the one guy at City Hall who knew where everything was, and I finally met him in person in the flesh at the very end of the processes after the certified copies of my name change got lost in the mail so he told me to just come on down to Center City to pick up new ones in person. It was a snowy day and the Philly Holiday Village was still up, everybody was bundled up, and he came out of the building and handed me my paperwork and a hot chocolate and gave me a big hug. I also didn't actually have to have the hearing although it was listed as part of the process-- the most painful part really was the cost, which iirc was mostly for judgment searches and for placing the notification in this one specific legal periodical.

I'm glad it all worked out for you and congratulations. :D

I'm hoping the same will be true for my son but I can't even start the process until I get my tax return. The expenses just aren't in the budget right now.

Twenty Four

Escape From Noise posted:

For whatever reason I was looking up stuff about the town I grew up in in southern Missouri and there's now a BBQ restaurant there that has a pig pen with a live pig in it in the dining room. Amazing. I'm so glad we moved.

EFN moving from a town with a live pig in the dining room to a city that has kabob skewers in a vending machine. I will repost this forever.

Heather Papps

hello friend

very good points all around thank you!

Walla posted:

I'm glad it all worked out for you and congratulations. :D

I'm hoping the same will be true for my son but I can't even start the process until I get my tax return. The expenses just aren't in the budget right now.

same and also how many human money dollars is it? i would paypal some money towards this. i am not a wealthy human but every bit helps i suppose.

Escape From Noise

Zil posted:

I'm not vegetarian, but I rarely cook meat at home! One of my go-to's is my mom's lentil soup. Ingredients are:

1 cup of lentils (rinsed)
2-3 larger potatoes cubed
2-3 stalks of celery sliced
Button mushrooms sliced
1 large carrot sliced
3-4 (or more) cloves of garlic minced
1 large white or yellow onion diced
1 quart or tomato juice and 1 quart water
Italian herbs(basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley, etc.)
A bay leaf or two
Paprika and/or cayenne pepper (I also like adding chili flakes or a few dried chilis)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Basically just put everything in a pot and simmer. It's a fairly variable recipe. I've added some canned tomatoes into it before to thicken it up, added different veggies, etc. I have found it's best to avoid cabbage and greens like that because it kind of waters things down and to use pure tomato juice. The mixed veggie juice was a bit too busy! Goes great with a little parmesan on top or with a grilled cheese or quesadilla!

Escape From Noise

Twenty Four posted:

EFN moving from a town with a live pig in the dining room to a city that has kabob skewers in a vending machine. I will repost this forever.

I moved on up!

Twenty Four

:nice: lol

Escape From Noise

Also I bought the skewers recently (they were frozen)

Heather Papps

hello friend

oh yeah here's a video of some :catdrugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPT_QL-KVDU

i was told newspaper was useful for this and SOMEONE LIED TO ME

Bad Video Games

Heather Papps posted:

very good points all around thank you!

same and also how many human money dollars is it? i would paypal some money towards this. i am not a wealthy human but every bit helps i suppose.

That's very sweet, but one advantage of being married with a juvenile child is we get a very hefty tax return. :)

Also we haven't even started the process beyond researching the process because there's very little room in my budget until March.

Bad Video Games

Escape From Noise, how did the skewers taste?

Escape From Noise

Walla posted:

Escape From Noise, how did the skewers taste?

They were decent. Chicken and garlic with sauce. Nothing amazing but not bad.

hot cocoa on the couch

lol japan is so cool

Twenty Four

For what I gather is over 8 USD for that small size of frozen skewers I feel like they did you wrong, but out of sheer curiosity I would have tried it too, and would regret it way more if I didn't.

Twenty Four posted:

Heather Papps

hello friend

They were decent. Chicken and garlic with sauce. Nothing amazing but not bad.

anything out of a vending machine besides pop not being deadly is kind of amazing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

Heather Papps posted:

anything out of a vending machine besides pop not being deadly is kind of amazing to me.
Now that I've seen it I'm like why aren't all frozen foods sold by vending machines, frozen things already have to live in a special box, and letting all the cold out every time someone opens the door, and all the space you can't use because you can't see it, is probably way less efficient than putting a robot in there to fetch the things.