Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

madeintaipei posted:

Remind me, do they pack brush guns at a certain level?

Might be a solid start for a Cowboy playthrough if you could farm .45-70 and associated guns from the enemies.

They do, but it's in the same final tier whey they have AMR's and 12mm SMGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing at high levels in honest hearts also puts you at the mercy of the spawning system whenever you exit an interior cell. You could have a giant yuo guai, a huge green gecko or a swarm of giant cazadores spawn in front of you before you draw your gun.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I travel everywhere ready for battle with my dukes constantly up. NPCs have to endure the blistering heat of a shishkebab/Gehenna pressed to their faces when I start a conversation with them.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I would rather deal with max level White Legs rather than max level Lobomites, personally. But Ghost People are equally annoying at any level, so I always tackle Dead Money second to last.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Once you hit level 30 and get the Turbo implant, it's almost impossible to lose any fight. Rushing to Honest Hearts at the beginning of the game to grab the Survivalist's Rifle is definitely the best way to get an endgame weapon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Worst enemies are roboscorpions and they are the sole cause for me always picking Adamantium Skeleton.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Best time I had against RoboScorps was being melee and hitting em with the proton axes. Especially the unique one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The axes are the best way to fight them but their death explosion is such a pain. It does almost no damage but it breaks a limb every single time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Orange Crush Rush posted:

They do, but it's in the same final tier whey they have AMR's and 12mm SMGs

Also riot shotguns.

The White Legs at high levels could probably conquer the whole post-apocalyptic US without much problem just on the strength of their arsenal, because every troop they have is better armed than the elites of any faction's military.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'd suggest doing everything by release order (DM-HH-OWB-LR), except for maybe Honest Hearts as it's fairly independent. Do that one as early as possible once you've reached level 10 or so.

If you'd like some character motivation, reach Vegas before you've managed to scrounge together 2000 caps for the credit check. Why not make some of that money by signing up with a caravan?

I like to RP Dead Money following Veronica's questline, and thinking I might be able to find something that can help her out with her mission.

Honest Hearts after House is killed as a "What have I done/time to get away",

Old World Blues... eh, just exploring,

And of course Lonesome Road before Hoover Dam.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I prefer doing OWB first because fuuuck Honest Hearts without poison immunity.

In general all of the HH non-human enemies can gently caress right off because I am very easily spooked by bugs while the bears aren't much better.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I find release order to work best if you think of the DLC as an "arc". DM and OWB are both quite big and dense, and HH goes nicely between them as a lighter and prettier interlude. You could do OWB-HH-DM-LR but DM and LR are both pretty dark in tone, so it's best to have something separating them too. That said, HH is also generally better done in the relatively early game, so HH-DM-OWB-LR works too. Also one time I did a whole playthrough without doing Dead Money because I wasn't in the mood for it, but then after finishing the game I loaded up the pre-finale save and went into Dead Money, and it worked really well as an epilogue to the whole adventure

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just keep a save file down around level 12 or whatever and load it up when I feel like playing through Honest Hearts (often either right before or right after I kill Caesar), then go back to my main file after and console myself the relevant megaloot.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I have yet to play Fallout 4, and every time I feel like I'm ready to do it, I tell myself that I should just play New Vegas instead. Should I try something new, or go back to old reliable?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'd recommend going into Fallout 4 when you're more in the mood for shooting and seeing new sights than for role playing. Most of it is so bizarrely written that it detracts from the sense of being in a place, but the environment is nice to look at and aiming feels snappy. The weapon/armor modding system was also sort of interesting even if it didn't go deep enough for my tastes.

The visuals of the rusted power armor and the white ceramic armor make up about 90% of what I liked in Fallout 4.

Then again I have never regretted starting a new New Vegas run.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The settlement stuff is so good imo that I wish they just focused the story around that instead

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fallout 4 is up there with Diablo 3 as worst video game sequels ever for me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cross-Section posted:

The settlement stuff is so good imo that I wish they just focused the story around that instead

It's the fiddliest, most annoying feature ever put into a game

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The settlement stuff being gated behind certain stats sure was a choice, and then they made you use the same system to play a dumb tower defense minigame in the DLC. I had a lot of fun with Fallout 4 and all but that game is a gimmicky mess.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Cross-Section posted:

Honestly, this (combined with the Sim Settlements 2 mod, which kicks it up a few more notches) is the only reason I replay Fallout 4 every once in a while. I'm not aware of any game that has a similar loop of world exploring, dungeon crawling, and settlement building. Maybe ActRaiser, but I've never played that so I'm going off a half-remembered reputation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The settlement stuff in Fallout 4 is in the weird place that there's enough there to have fun with it if you're into that kind of thing, but also not super polished or well integrated into the rest of the game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

They really hosed up with some of the locations you can build in. Like some have a lot of uneven terrain, so building anything that looks good a pain in the rear end. Then there's stuff like Hanged Man's Alley, which is too tiny to build much of anything without it being a crowded mess.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I still find it funny that they essentially made Real Time Settler and Wasteland Defense core mechanics, and yet I saw friends who loved and played the poo poo out of RTS/WD pan 4 for adding settlements as their main complaint.

Two mods I got a lot of mileage out of in NV that became one of the few good parts of 4.

Anyway, OP, would say play 4 at some point, but don't expect NV writing out of it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Fallout 4 is fun for running around shooting laser guns at kooky monsters. Like any Bethesda game (except 76 for whatever reason, never clicked with that) for me it works very well as something I can pick up for an hour or two when I have a free night but it's not something I'd sit down and absorb like New Vegas or Disco Elysium. If you can get it cheap and like bad Boston accents I'd certainly recommend Fallout 4.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fallout 4 is a good and fun game. It’s just not a good Fallout game.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fallout 4 has my favorite part of any Fallout game in spades: picking up every piece of garbage I see in the Wasteland just in case it comes in handy later

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Fallout 4 has my favorite part of any Fallout game in spades: picking up every piece of garbage I see in the Wasteland just in case it comes in handy later

By the time I finish Old World Blues, which is the New Vegas DLC that encourages this the most, I realize that despite the amount of it that I've inevitably done, I actually hate garbage farming. An entire game of it would drive me batty.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fallout 4 is a worthwhile sequel, it introduced a lot of new gameplay, some good and some bad. If you like New Vegas, it's worth giving it a shot.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Honestly the power armor mechanics justify the whole thing for me. I love treating PA like a classic car you work on in the garage, take it out for a spin and run over a few people, then head back home to retouch the paint and fix the grill.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’m fine with some garbage collecting but hate that moment in a game where suddenly one useless thing is important for crafting and aww gently caress gotta go back and dig through those dumpsters again.

Plus poo poo like in Fallout 3 where the Megaton guy wants scrap metal to fix the plumbing. Ok I’ll go find scrap metal. No gently caress you dipshit forks and tin cans aren’t “Scrap Metal”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chamale posted:

Fallout 4 is a worthwhile sequel, it introduced a lot of new gameplay, some good and some bad. If you like New Vegas, it's worth giving it a shot.

It is absolutely not a worthwhile sequel to New Vegas.

StandardVC10 posted:

By the time I finish Old World Blues, which is the New Vegas DLC that encourages this the most, I realize that despite the amount of it that I've inevitably done, I actually hate garbage farming. An entire game of it would drive me batty.

I hate garbage collecting too so after my first NV playthrough I stopped reflexively opening every interactable container.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Byzantine posted:

Honestly the power armor mechanics justify the whole thing for me. I love treating PA like a classic car you work on in the garage, take it out for a spin and run over a few people, then head back home to retouch the paint and fix the grill.

yeah, by the time I finally stopped playing I had quite the Jay Leno's garage going

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I apparently have 40 hours in FO4 and most of that was spent dicking around with settlement building and tooling around in power armor. The farthest I ever got in the main quest was killing the kidnapper dude. I didn't finish it because the storyline never gave me a compelling urge to see it through.

The story has since been spoiled for me through memes and vids and my reaction is a big wet 'meh' :effort:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I know I must have played Fallout 4 for dozens of hours but I remember very little of it. I'm playing the Outer Worlds now and that's a pretty decent facsimile of a modern Fallout game.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Fallout 4 is just Fallout 3 remastered and Far Harbor is Point Lookout remastered. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah, Far Harbour is actually good.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Epi Lepi posted:

I know I must have played Fallout 4 for dozens of hours but I remember very little of it. I'm playing the Outer Worlds now and that's a pretty decent facsimile of a modern Fallout game.

Outer Worlds is far more forgettable than Fallout 4

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Seesaw's Legion

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jisforjosh posted:

Outer Worlds is far more forgettable than Fallout 4
I wish that quest where you commit insurance fraud and threaten the insurance agent and she's like "please don't, my health insurance only covers paper cuts" was better. Mostly because it's literally the only thing I remember from that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I wish that quest where you commit insurance fraud and threaten the insurance agent and she's like "please don't, my health insurance only covers paper cuts" was better. Mostly because it's literally the only thing I remember from that game.

The sucidally depressed, moon-headed item vendor sticks out. Only because I know people like that.

I felt bad for laughing.