Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
So just to make sure before I buy stuff: my PC wired into the router, plus a 5ghz WAP wired into the same router, should be the optimal setup for Airlink or virtual desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, but if your router already has the 5ghz band then try it first before buying additional kit, I'm using the 5ghz band built into my lovely ISP router and it works absolutely fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah, I am using my Archer C7 with no special measures taken and it works perfectly most of the time. Definitely try before you go out and buy a new router to use for VR alone.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FilthyImp posted:

Which one? The Homecoming one or the Far From Home one that's swingy?

Oh right, of course there are more.

The one that's Spider-Man, Flash and Invincible. It's very basic but I love it and now will be searching for more.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know it breaks after a bit, but the knife in RE2 is hilariously OP in VR, just flap your hand through the zombie and watch them die immediately.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

So just to make sure before I buy stuff: my PC wired into the router, plus a 5ghz WAP wired into the same router, should be the optimal setup for Airlink or virtual desktop?

I use 5GHz band with VD and it's great.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I know it breaks after a bit, but the knife in RE2 is hilariously OP in VR, just flap your hand through the zombie and watch them die immediately.

Ya its op even without dual wielding. But i like the gameplay loop of headshotting a ganado and then crouching over their corpse, pulling out a knife and stabbing them on the ground

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Quest 2 supposedly arriving tomorrow after some FedEx delays (still not counting on it) -- been meaning to ask, what is best practice for those who don't have an active Facebook and don't want one? Like just create a fresh account on a real email I do keep track of, max out the privacy settings ASAP? Deactivated a FB account 10+ years ago tied to the email address I'd prefer to use if that wouldn't involve reactivating that one with all the old connections it had, which I do not want to do at all.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Quest 2 supposedly arriving tomorrow after some FedEx delays (still not counting on it) -- been meaning to ask, what is best practice for those who don't have an active Facebook and don't want one? Like just create a fresh account on a real email I do keep track of, max out the privacy settings ASAP? Deactivated a FB account 10+ years ago tied to the email address I'd prefer to use if that wouldn't involve reactivating that one with all the old connections it had, which I do not want to do at all.

I don't know for sure as I have an active FB account but I'd imagine creating a new one just for the quest should be fine.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, just make a throwaway and use an email account you don't care about. I created one with a fake name and have added nothing to it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Walrus posted:

Ya its op even without dual wielding. But i like the gameplay loop of headshotting a ganado and then crouching over their corpse, pulling out a knife and stabbing them on the ground

That was pretty much the optimal strategy in the original as well!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I think they meant the RE2 mod, not RE4. I'm pumped to try it sometime soon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Re4 is fun so far. I have never played it in any of its other forms, or watched any let’s plays of it or anything, so I’m going in 100% blind.

Which means I’m doing dumb stuff like going into that first town you reach, guns blazing and getting stomped 4 times over before I realized that I need to hide in a building first and then straight murk dudes with the shotgun.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Holy poo poo, is this real?

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1478538845335420930?s=20

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bradley is at CES right now and I doubt he would post fake poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If they've legit cracked foveated rendering then that's a Big Deal :eyepop:.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they've legit cracked foveated rendering then that's a Big Deal :eyepop:.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, legitimately a Big Deal and opens up the pathways to higher res and better FOV

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
It has a cord. Can’t do it, can’t go back.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Re4 is fun so far. I have never played it in any of its other forms, or watched any let’s plays of it or anything, so I’m going in 100% blind.

Which means I’m doing dumb stuff like going into that first town you reach, guns blazing and getting stomped 4 times over before I realized that I need to hide in a building first and then straight murk dudes with the shotgun.

loving jealous of you. I wish I had a drug that allowed me to experience something again for the first time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:We got hardware specs!:siren:

What's frustrating is there's no mention of the IPD range or adjustment method (single-panel, fixed settings, etc). I'm hoping "Adjustable" means mechanical lens adjustment like the Vives and Index.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPNn-jwAC9c&t=85s

If "Embrace a new level of immersion in an unique experience, designed to push hardware technology, innovation, and gameplay." means an on rails river autoscroller, I'm going to throw a fit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What I don't get is why they still aren't showing off the HMD now that they're giving the specs out.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Eye-tracking! Was FOVE the only one to have that?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait until PSVR3 is wireless and works with PC, I'll have so many awesome games to play from the PSVR back catalogue.

Only only way I maybe get this at some point is if it's 199 and if it was they would have lead with that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Basically any VR headset is already amazing, the only thing I care about is the software. I do not care about sitting down and looking around going "oooh aaah ooooh!!!!" and the only teaser they showed so far inspires no confidence on that front

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Wired: Pulling the trigger on an Index, which should arrive in a few days-ish.

Tired: not even considering the need for prescription lenses until stumbling on the topic on this thread. Probably three weeks before I get those. Anything I can do in the meantime to still be able to play without scratching the poo poo out of the headset lenses? I'm super nearsighted and can't read text beyond a foot or so.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Yeah im excited about playstion vr because Sony still has a lot of great exclusive stuff and there could be some great games, but if I have to buy a ps5 and an expensive headset when I already have a quest/pcvr I don't see it happening until it's in the bargain bin

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Has anyone been able to buy a playstation 5? I've been looking for well over a year now (I'm not paying a reseller double).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The only way I can see this being anywhere even close to quest money (not even accounting for the price of a PS5) is if Sony is betting big on vr with dozens of first party titles and subsidizes it very heavily. Wouldn't count on it, honestly.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm also pretty excited at the idea of haptic feedback.

I got sold on dualsense haptics when I played RE:Village. Before that I was just like "cool marketing buzzwords for rumblepak"

I mean, it still remains to be seen how it's implemented but I'm intrigued.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

spacetoaster posted:

Has anyone been able to buy a playstation 5? I've been looking for well over a year now (I'm not paying a reseller double).

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1478547590157266947

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Reek posted:

Yeah im excited about playstion vr because Sony still has a lot of great exclusive stuff and there could be some great games, but if I have to buy a ps5 and an expensive headset when I already have a quest/pcvr I don't see it happening until it's in the bargain bin

I wouldn't take exclusives being good as a given with VR, people have consistently shown that no matter how much money they dump in or the pedigree of the developer, they're much more likely to gently caress it up than to make something actually good or interesting

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Heard mixed/bad reviews on the official Quest 2 strap/battery pack combo - is there one folks are recommending?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sony has an official blog post on PSVR2 now. One bad thing to note; There's no onboard audio output, just a 3.5mm headphone jack. I'm guessing they'll pack in earbuds like PSVR1 or something, but it's still seems like a dumb move.

I just hope they don't loving hard-code the audio input to the headset again so I can actually use my ModMic with it :argh:.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I have one, was pretty quick as soon as I followed a twitter restock bot, just had to wait for a restock to happen while I happened to have a moment to put an order in.

I'm pretty excited about PSVR given my PC is in no shape whatsoever for VR and I just use a standalone Quest 1 at the moment, so it's gonna be a huge update for me and also let me get away from giving Facebook more money.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sony has an official blog post on PSVR2 now. One bad thing to note; There's no onboard audio output, just a 3.5mm headphone jack. I'm guessing they'll pack in earbuds like PSVR1 or something, but it's still seems like a dumb move.

I just hope they don't loving hard-code the audio input to the headset again so I can actually use my ModMic with it :argh:.

The specs look insane already, so I’m sure it’s a cost saving measure. I’d rather pay for my own audio than compromise elsewhere.

I’m so in with Sony VR this round. Outside of boneworks and Alyx, PCVR hasn’t done anything interesting. Might as well go for extremely polished AAA first party Sony titles, especially with their insane rumble/haptic trigger poo poo.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I notice that they don't specify dynamic foveated rendering and say nothing about the eye tracking doing anything other than working as a pointer

I wonder if they're just talking about fixed foveated rendering like the quest does, but if so it's weird to mention it at all as that's just a software feature

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tip posted:

I notice that they don't specify dynamic foveated rendering and say nothing about the eye tracking doing anything other than working as a pointer

I wonder if they're just talking about fixed foveated rendering like the quest does, but if so it's weird to mention it at all as that's just a software feature

I'm actually optimistic on this one and inclined to think it's the real deal, because they've got eye-tracking in it as well. If it works to a Sony-acceptable standard, it should be in the right range for foveated rendering as well. Especially if they want 4K visuals.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually optimistic on this one and inclined to think it's the real deal, because they've got eye-tracking in it as well. If it works to a Sony-acceptable standard, it should be in the right range for foveated rendering as well. Especially if they want 4K visuals.

there's a big difference between eye tracking that's acceptable to use as a controller and eye tracking that's acceptable to use for dynamic foveated rendering

if they actually had it down that well you'd think they would be shouting it from the rooftops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Eye tracking is too expensive to include for it to be used purely as an immersion booster for social apps or for (limited) gameplay integration. Significantly decreasing rendering workloads though, everything can benefit from that. I have a feeling they've figured it out.