Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Crab Dad posted:

Getting a mate. Everyone loves a dude who brings a clay pit of 4-loco porridge to the party.

*translating cuneiform tablet*
"Four....loco.....porridge..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also too isn't the evidence for most early alcohol or beer like 3-4% not exactly distillation levels. So it's let's getting blitzed and more of a lie level thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you can’t get hosed up on 3-4% you ain’t trying.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There's a reason spirits were a big/devastating deal to alcoholics everywhere.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I mean, the literary evidence we have from bronze age Egypt and Mesopotamia is pretty unambiguous that people were capable of getting very drunk. I haven't seen implications that people were doing it every day but also the literary evidence about what people did "every day" is pretty scant anyway so that doesn't mean much. Getting trashed was a part of stuff like sed festivals though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://twitter.com/sarabmohr/status/1478051957549846528

This place is neat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

FishFood posted:

These really early beers are super different from what we think of now, though. It's funny to think of farming arising because people wanted to get hosed up but fermentation also adds nutritional value if you're making these porridge-like beers and they formed a huge part of people's diets. I suspect brewing and making alcohol is as old as farming and probably made it very attractive, but I think there are a ton of other benefits to fermenting grains than just getting drunk.

Malting your grains just makes it taste better as it breaks down starch polysaccharides into mono and disaccharides. It doesn't keep quite as long, but that's fine, store your grains properly and malt them at some point before consumption.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

No idea if this was ever done intentionally, but yeast is bonkers good as a b-vitamin source.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Phobophilia posted:

Malting your grains just makes it taste better as it breaks down starch polysaccharides into mono and disaccharides. It doesn't keep quite as long, but that's fine, store your grains properly and malt them at some point before consumption.

Lotta early chemical processing got done by chewing and spitting out the grains since theirs an enzyme in your saliva that does it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Telsa Cola posted:

Lotta early chemical processing got done by chewing and spitting out the grains since theirs an enzyme in your saliva that does it.

Yep, and that particular enzyme is really interesting in that there's a huge range in the number of copies of the gene coding for it among individuals. And while there is some evidence of selection for individuals with more salivary amylase among more agricultural (and high-starch hunter-gatherer) populations, it is still the case that low-starch populations have some individuals with lots of salivary amylase .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2377015/

So I'd wonder whether there were ever societies that recognized the individuals who were especially good at chewing up grain and getting sugars out, and had ways of choosing them for that role.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yep, and that particular enzyme is really interesting in that there's a huge range in the number of copies of the gene coding for it among individuals. And while there is some evidence of selection for individuals with more salivary amylase among more agricultural (and high-starch hunter-gatherer) populations, it is still the case that low-starch populations have some individuals with lots of salivary amylase .

So I'd wonder whether there were ever societies that recognized the individuals who were especially good at chewing up grain and getting sugars out, and had ways of choosing them for that role.

Breeding slave-chewers is certainly nothing I ever thought of.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Screengrab from the latest episode of Digging for Britain on BBC. In an Anglo-Saxon sword handle, an Anglo-Saxon tick, entombed in copper.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
That is very gross and very cool. Is that at some crazy magnification? I imagine it just wasn't noticed by whoever made the sword, or maybe they found said tick and flicked it in to kill it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are they going to try to bore into it to harvest anglo-saxon DNA to form some kind of jurassic park equivalent?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are they going to try to bore into it to harvest anglo-saxon DNA to form some kind of jurassic park equivalent?

anglo-saxon park already exists, it's even on an island. the costa rican airforce hasn't yet declared the island hazardous and razed it with napalm tho

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

Soccer hooligans aren’t extinct.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Breeding slave-chewers is certainly nothing I ever thought of.

I know there are some fermented beverages that are chewed and spit prior out to fermentation for the enzymes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ola posted:

Screengrab from the latest episode of Digging for Britain on BBC. In an Anglo-Saxon sword handle, an Anglo-Saxon tick, entombed in copper.

I'm wondering if the wielder knew about that and considered it his sword-pet, maybe even called his sword Bloodsucker.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FishFood posted:

That is very gross and very cool. Is that at some crazy magnification? I imagine it just wasn't noticed by whoever made the sword, or maybe they found said tick and flicked it in to kill it?

Very high magnification yeah. It's probably more of a mite than a tick.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The reason low starch populations have people with high salivary amylase content is because humans are very good at screwing around. Since there is basically no negative selective pressure for the gene duplications there is no positive selection needed to keep in the population for a long time after it's introduction, gene duplications can also be more difficult for a population to get rid of.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I know there are some fermented beverages that are chewed and spit prior out to fermentation for the enzymes.
Chicha and Masato are a couple of the big ones. Apparently Sake has also been made this way

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was the original way for sake, now it's only done for small batches at certain shrines for rituals. Rare but still exists.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Zudgemud posted:

The reason low starch populations have people with high salivary amylase content is because humans are very good at screwing around. Since there is basically no negative selective pressure for the gene duplications there is no positive selection needed to keep in the population for a long time after it's introduction, gene duplications can also be more difficult for a population to get rid of.

That sounds plausible, but at least from the below paper, it seems the duplications happened sometime after the split with Neanderthals but before the expansion out of Africa (they put it around 400Kya). So basically most Homo sapiens already had extra copies of AMY1 (and AMY2A) long before we developed agriculture, and it's been a matter of slight positive selection for higher copy numbers in agricultural societies over the last 10Ky or so. Apparently there's even been some negative selection in low-starch societies, with subsequent deletions occurring.

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep37198

Apparently Neanderthals and Denisovans just had the baseline two copies, though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

The Lone Badger posted:

No idea if this was ever done intentionally, but yeast is bonkers good as a b-vitamin source.

i don't know if :thejoke: but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

please tell me i didn't kill this thread by mentioning Vegemite.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Greek philosopher Vegemites.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

eftychisméni mikrí vegemites

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i'm going to start using "byzantine" exclusively over "east roman" or "roman", and "roman" over "holy roman" as well, into the 18th century. this is my stand.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you replace holy roman with roman, and roman with byzantine, does that mean the holy roman empire is byzantine?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

holy byzantine empire

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Byzantine orthodox church

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
byz nuts

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

if you replace holy roman with roman, and roman with byzantine, does that mean the holy roman empire is byzantine?

Egypt is rightful Austrian clay.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Everything is Korea

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

cheetah7071 posted:

holy poo poo

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

The Byzantine is not Zan, and not a tine, and it's certainly not by

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I dunno, looks pretty straightforward to me.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Siivola posted:

I dunno, looks pretty straightforward to me.

ah yes, a simplified map of the HRE after lots of consolidation

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
did places like France every get quite that fractal at the height of their fragmentation? Like obviously when vassalage was at its height you had a staggering number of subdivisions but my understanding is that each color on that map represents a place that had no direct liege other than the emperor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

cheetah7071 posted:

did places like France every get quite that fractal at the height of their fragmentation? Like obviously when vassalage was at its height you had a staggering number of subdivisions but my understanding is that each color on that map represents a place that had no direct liege other than the emperor