Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I really appreciate the mini-reviews, thank you guys! You know what's funny? For some reason in my brain, "Dry British humor" was all the synopsis I needed to go "Okay yeah- no matter how hosed up this gets, it's not going to be the wallowing in sorrow kind of hosed up." (Unless it has a Blackadder level or something.)

Lastly this is probably 100% down to YMMV, but I'm going back and forth on two things that are about the same price. On one hand, three really highly-regarded games (well, two games and one DLC) that I've heard nothing but great things about :

Death's Door
Unsighted
Prey - Mooncrash

On the flip side, for a couple bucks more I could get Flight Simulator 2020 instead. I'm on the arcadey side of flight sims (I love learning how planes/flight planning/navigation works, but the thought of getting a flightstick and rudders instead of using a controller makes me wanna barf), and I've heard some really awful things about how hard FS2020 is to get working, so am I right in thinking that the value proposition skews hard towards the indie stuff unless I'm a really big sim fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Epic seems to have the idea that you don't really have to offer anything to customers to get them to switch to your service when you can make a bunch of deals with other businesses instead. It kind of rubs me the wrong way. I did buy Control when it came out there though so it works to some degree and I can certainly see why developers would like it

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Well you see Steam is like a Mercedes with all the features and Epic is like a Tesla because:words:

anti-magic posted:

I found their Whedon-esque banter loving interminable. Also once it's revealed that she's his daughter, it becomes loving gross that they continue to banter like the leads that are supposed to inevitably hook up at the end of the series / movie / game. I was shocked no one brings that fact up and had to google it make sure I wasn't going insane.
What? Their banter was never sexual and Colt only thought it was because he is a hot-blooded idiot. Colt's tone completely changes after the reveal even though they still have kind of a friendly rivalry. It's really only feels gross because it fucks with player expectations and it's a very funny reversal imo. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by their banter being Whedon-esque.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 5, 2022

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

Prey - Mooncrash

Did you get Prey for free on Epic recently? Because it came with Mooncrash.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The best reason to hate EGS is that it's chasing the idea of "burn cash, secure market share, stop benefiting the user"

Their projected goal is to get like 1/2 of the market then completely stop giving out free games and signing exclusives. Their burning billions in Fortnite cash ever year to make this happen and all the problems with the storefront sure as hell aren't going away once they reach market dominance.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they won't reach market dominance because no one is actually buying anything there. everyone is just getting the free games, occasionally buying during those $10 coupon sales, and that's it

their exclusive titles all have dismal sales numbers

e: and that's not really a shocker, when you give so many high profile games away, no one wants to buy anything in the hopes that it becomes a giveaway

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 5, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'll give Epic this: their storefront is better than the Microsoft storefront.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Triarii posted:

Honestly I don't think this would get them any users either. You make a platform that has all of the same features as steam and a UI that's just as nice, nobody's going to switch to it, because steam is already where all the games are.

Steam charges publishers quite a lot. You could still undercut Steam on the royalties.

Take less off the top than Steam and see what happens.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'll give Epic this: their storefront is better than the Microsoft storefront.

That is true, Epic does only have the 2nd worst online storefront.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Any time a character makes a joke, the sins of Joss Whedon are brought upon us.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Harminoff posted:

It's kind of funny to me because I used to work in cable customer service and everyone always wanted everything to be "ala carte" and I had to explain how that was a bad idea, and would make everything more expensive.

Well here we are, every channel having their own streaming service, and people complaining that they want it bundled.

The issue is that its not channels with a focused theme, but instead its based on what the media company has the rights to, and thus they have a whole bunch of stuff you're not interested in, and a handful of shows in the genres you like.

If every streaming service was like Shudder, it would work a lot better.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Rusty posted:

I haven't played it much, but I have had some hilarious matches. Here's where we get pushed back to one tower so it's like 50 of us in one room getting slaughtered one by one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBeGCAeyYQ

I think the main issue with holdfast is I think the shooting is kind of lame, but it's till good fun.

Those kinds of last stands are fun and sometimes they even work out and you win in the end! Feels great.

Frog Act posted:

holdfast is great, I play it a few times a month and it never gets boring. it always has a few consistently full servers, too. my current fantasy is holdfast VR which would just be so much fun

Same, I'll play off and on and it's always a good time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waste of Breath posted:

Which channel is Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash in this analogy?

Skinemax

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GreatGreen posted:

Steam charges publishers quite a lot. You could still undercut Steam on the royalties.

Take less off the top than Steam and see what happens.

Epic is actually doing just that, they take a 12% cut instead of Valve's 30%. (On the other hand, Valve only takes that cut on sales directly through their storefront, as far as I understand developers can generate an unlimited number of keys to sell on other storefronts, all for free)

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Hub Cat posted:

What? Their banter was never sexual and Colt only thought it was because he is a hot-blooded idiot. Colt's tone completely changes after the reveal even though they still have kind of a friendly rivalry. It's really only feels gross because it fucks with player expectations and it's a very funny reversal imo. I have absolutely no idea what you mean by their banter being Whedon-esque.

It was always flirty though, like they had written all the dialogue well before they thought of the twist and then didn't want to re-record it. I never got a broken father-daughter relationship from their exchanges, it still read way too much like every combative male-female lead from any number of movies. It's an awful reversal because it never turns into anything interesting, they just throw it out there to be like "psyche!" and then who cares? They certainly didn't.

It's probably wrong to say Whedon-esque but their exchanges are a lot of trying to out-smarm one another with Colt inevitably face-planting. A lot of eye-rollingly bad insults and tortuous sentence; the lineage can be traced back to his work. I think I am just turning into a grumpy old man about those kind of character relationships and writing since I inundated myself with it as a teenager and now I can't stand any of it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ymgve posted:

Epic is actually doing just that, they take a 12% cut instead of Valve's 30%. (On the other hand, Valve only takes that cut on sales directly through their storefront, as far as I understand developers can generate an unlimited number of keys to sell on other storefronts, all for free)

So that's how that other sites selling steam keys works 🤯

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

Mostly sensible chuckles, and the occasional belly laugh.

(the spoiler is just for a joke)

edit: Also despite the much more drily humorous tone, it shares a lot of its DNA with the previous game by the same devs, Titan Souls. I can't quantify what about it is the same, it just has the same [i]feel/i].

the game's hookshot made me cross but i have to genuinely respect "ok, hit the word count"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Volte posted:

I think Epic's use of huge sums of money to strongarm devs into being EGS-exclusive is ultimately bad even if the devs themselves do okay relative speaking. Most devs aren't really in a position to turn down a good payday so Epic essentially holds all the cards and simply decides which games they want to keep off Steam, which is not a very healthy thing to have going on in the ecosystem. The idea that they're doing the devs a benevolent service is just a PR illusion. If they wanted to they could give devs a good payday with their Fortnite billions just to be on EGS in the first place and still allow them to go on Steam. They'd generate more goodwill that way and could still get people to use EGS via more traditional tactics like sales and coupons instead of trying to monopolize particular games.

Also the EGS client is pretty barebones and building up their audience by being the only game in town for certain things instead of actually having to compete for users is not doing anyone any favours. I don't really care about having my games spread across launchers, but I like having games on Steam because it's just a better overall experience. Whenever I so much as unminimize the EGS client it takes like 5 seconds to display anything other than a blank screen with a loading bar.

I think the devs are entitled to be paid for their work, and egs exclusivity effectively gives you a second bugfree launch when you come to steam.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

the only thing i know about binding of isaac is that it's good, and it's about child abuse. i don't think i can gently caress with that. is my impression wrong?

and i'm buying tabletop simulator because holy crap how come i never heard of that before.

idk if i'm buying caves of qud but if you plan to, do it now. the price goin up soon.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

That's roughly correct. These days, the big advantage it has over other games in the genre is that it lets you ball out of control with good luck/systems knowledge more than any other similar game. A lot of the fun of it is seeing how weird and hosed-up and powerful your character gets as the run goes on and you pick up more upgrades, most of which modify your character visually. The child abuse stuff isn't super present in-game, it's mostly in the intro and endings and in between it's all sort of goofy and cartoony, but you are playing as a crying naked child and several of your enemies are dead children so I could understand that putting you off.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The art style and thematics are just repugnant in every way and the worst thing about BOI for sure

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mescal posted:

the only thing i know about binding of isaac is that it's good, and it's about child abuse. i don't think i can gently caress with that. is my impression wrong?
This is correct, but it's not a narrative game. I'd recommend maybe watching some gameplay to see if a) it might be something you like and b) if the mostly allegorical references to child abuse are something that bothers you. I can't think of a way to describe it that isn't either downplaying or overemphasizing that aspect because the way the game is designed has a lot of gross stuff in its artistic design that I can imagine would be triggering to some, but it's also not actually clear that that's what the game is about so if the thing that bothers you is actual representations of abuse rather than allusions to abuse it might not bother you for that reason.

The game is about running through it over and over unlocking power ups and having randomness decide whether you end up with a challenging run or an cakewalk or something in between. You're not going to get spoiled in any meaningful way by watching someone else play it for a bit to decide.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Binding of Isaac is about child abuse in the same way Doom is about the dangers of capitalism

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Removed from wishlist. Thx

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ymgve posted:

Binding of Isaac is about child abuse in the same way Doom is about the dangers of capitalism

So it’s about that?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

meh

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 5, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Away all Goats posted:

So that's how that other sites selling steam keys works 🤯
That's how most legit key sellers work, yes. Some sellers also buy discounted keys from people who get games they don't really want from Humble Bundles or the like, IIRC. There are also a bunch of grey- or black-market key sellers that buy keys with stolen credit cards or phished Steam accounts.

sebmojo posted:

I think the devs are entitled to be paid for their work, and egs exclusivity effectively gives you a second bugfree launch when you come to steam.
I've got nothing against the devs who take the payout, especially smaller indie studios that would be lucky to make the EGS exclusivity payout on sales in the first year even if they did launch on Steam at the same time. I just think buying exclusivity is a lovely move on Epic's part because they're not building a storefront to compete with Steam, they're buying their way into the market and hoping that gets them the profitablity they're looking for.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah this seems to be a regular stumbling point in the discourse around EGS - I don't hate devs who go Epic exclusive, I just hate Epic exclusives and Epic in general.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ymgve posted:

Well, they're doing half that.

Undercutting Steam is necessary to get publishers onboard, but a decent UI and store / library is absolutely necessary for players to hop on as well, and Epic's store / library functionality is poo poo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
By the way, for anybody interested in this kind of thing, I just picked up Horizon Zero Dawn and after the intro, I was presented with a EULA from Sony about data collection. I could either allow them to collect "limited data" or "limited and extended data."

"Limited" data included a whole bunch of user telemetry, system information including IP address, and recently visited websites. No way to opt out. Fuuuuck that.

Requested a refund and uninstalled immediately so hopefully that's the end of that. Don't care how good that game may or may not be.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Steam offers so much to the developments in terms of features and ready-made infrastructure that EGS' lower cut is still only worth it for the biggest publishers.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wish Steam would fix whatever crap is deciding me logging in on the same computer after their own site breaks and tells me to log out and back in is a security risk of my account. Or even worse, after I get logged out just going to my account.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I wish Steam would fix whatever crap is deciding me logging in on the same computer after their own site breaks and tells me to log out and back in is a security risk of my account. Or even worse, after I get logged out just going to my account.

Are you using 2FA? Because my first thought is that "whatever crap" is someone else also trying to use your account.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Nah, all the codes I've gotten in the last few months are from me triggering them.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Protocol7 posted:

Cruelty Squad sure is a game. Interesting enough to keep me hooked, for sure.

not only is it a game . . . it's the game

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://twitter.com/CrueltySquadBot/status/1476940901435932672

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Hot take but the music in UNBEATABLE [white label] kinda sucks. Everything else is pretty impeccable but I haven't heard music that boring in a long time, especially in a rhythm game.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Finishing up D:OS 2 with a friend and before the sale ends I'd like to grab our next game - any recommendations?

We specifically prefer co-op that's campaign/narrative, similar to Original Sin or RE5. That's not a deal breaker but I'm not looking for something that's purely multiplayer/pvp.

Also I'm in California and he's in Maryland so need it to be online - know that there's not a ton of games out there that fit that profile but would appreciate any suggestions!

Besides what I've mentioned here are some co-op titles we've already hit:

Broforce
Dying Light
Far Cry 5
Halo MCC
Risk of Rain
Streets of Rogue

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Remnant: From the Ashes

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jerusalem posted:

I don't have any qualms with Io taking the exclusivity deal, even though it meant I've had to wait so long for more Hitman, because it was nice to know that after they were on the verge of bankruptcy the deal basically recovered all their development costs entirely and let them keep the lights on, and now they're making a James Bond game :hellyeah:

That said, it's been a year now, gimme my Hitman 3 on Steam! :shepspends:

Glad I kept reading the thread instead of going instantly for a reply, because I couldn't agree more with this.

Not only are they still around, they're also independent. They won't care about lost sales because they went with a year of Epic exclusivity, because it's the best selling game in the series. Perhaps the next-gen consoles carried that number, but I imagine it will still have a long tail on PC.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Whoever recommended Umurangi Generation (and I think there were a couple of people), holy poo poo, thank you. What a fantastic experience. I can't recommend it enough, and don't want to go too far into spoiler territory but the cyberpunk-Maori-kaiju-Hypnospace aesthetic and music fits an incredibly angry message that is not something you often see in games. Good stuff.